Would Yugoslavia beat this France team?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Would Yugoslavia beat this France team? 

Post#1 » by Matty » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 am

Taking all the pool of players from what use to be Yugoslavia; Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Slovenia, Kosovo, and Montenegro. I think they would stand out as the favorite.

This would be my 11 using a 3-5-2 formation.

Dzeko/Mandžukic
Perisic/Modric/Pjanic
Matic/Rakitic
Kolarov/Savic/Ivanovic

That's the right amount talent and heavy duty experience. Youngest guy in this starting lineup is 27 (Savic)

The 23 man roster would have also been as deep as any national team in the world cup.

Of course we're not even including all the players who play for other national teams like Shaqiri etc but it would still be a slavic heavy team.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Would Yugoslavia beat this France team? 

Post#2 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am

No.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#3 » by Foye » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Defenders would be eaten alife by Mbappe's speed...
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,131

Post#4 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 pm

No.

for whatever reason , at least in soccer Yugoslavia has never been better than the sum of its parts.
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#5 » by TheTrooper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:No.

for whatever reason , at least in soccer Yugoslavia has never been better than the sum of its parts.

That is why Croatia alone has had more success than Yugoslavia as a whole. The players just weren't feeling it. There was no national pride like there is now when playing for their country.
Yugoslavia always had the same level of talent, but the national team never translated that into something.

On paper though Yugoslavia would be there with Germany, France, Brazil, Spain and Belgium.
njosaa
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#6 » by njosaa » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Oblak
Vrsaljko
Savic
Lovren
Kolarov
Matic
Rakitic
Modric
Tadic
Perisic
Dzeko

Bench:
Subasic
Ivanovic
Kolasinac
SMS
Pjanic
Ljajic
Mandzukic

Still not enough IMO.
Tony Parker/Dragić/Rubio
Dražen/Marčulionis
Giannis/Peja/Kukoč
Dirk/Pau/Kirilenko
Sabonis/Marc/Vlade Divac
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#7 » by HIF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Would North America beat France?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Matty
General Manager

Post#8 » by Matty » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:44 pm

HIF wrote:Would North America beat France?

Not even if you include the best 11 of all time.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#9 » by DCRYsing89 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

Would Asia Beat france?

Ryan
Sakai-YOSHIDA-LUONGO
Son-Jedinak-ABDULRAHMAN-Mooy-Kawaga
OKAZAKI-AZMOUN
?
I actually didnt realise how little football talent there s in asia.
Wow kinda shows the disparity
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#10 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 am

Yugoslavia team never had national pride because whole country was always "fake" and around one man, man who lot of people didn't like , man who was mastermind behind countless deaths. Riots in 70s of students in Croatia are best example of that.

Real question is- would France even have national team if at least one parent of player had to be born in France.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#11 » by HIF » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 am

pepe1991 wrote:Yugoslavia team never had national pride because whole country was always "fake" and around one man, man who lot of people didn't like , man who was mastermind behind countless deaths. Riots in 70s of students in Croatia are best example of that.

Real question is- would France even have national team if at least one parent of player had to be born in France.

Or maybe Africans should be forced to play for Africa.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#12 » by pepe1991 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am

HIF wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Yugoslavia team never had national pride because whole country was always "fake" and around one man, man who lot of people didn't like , man who was mastermind behind countless deaths. Riots in 70s of students in Croatia are best example of that.

Or maybe Africans should be forced to play for Africa.

Honestlly i just don't get it. If both of your parents are born in Cameroon, USA, Croatia, Australia or whenever, what a hell makes you French ? Citizenship? You can get citizenship of every country if you move there after some time. It's not just about African fugatives , Griezmann is same story as all of them, kid of mother from Portugal and father from Germany. Last 14 years he lives in Spain. Might as well play for Spain, Germany and Portugal, has more connections than France anyway.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#13 » by eagle54 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Not a good reflection.. Watch Batum said about this yesterday...
Guys were born in France, lived in france when they were young (so educated in france) and moreover feel french. So why there are not french ? This (fake) debate is silly... It's not even a debate in reality.

You talk about Griezmann, his parents are french too :roll: Origins it's different. I'm french and I have italian origins by my mother (herself by his dad) too but I never live in Italy, I don't speak italian and I have nothing to do with Italy...

So if you think like that , there are maybe 5% of true french in France because all people have foreign origins in their families....
Look the others euro teams close to france, germany belgium england have already players with somes origins.
Watch US team too ...

When team usa won in basketball, who said same thing ?
MagicFrenchie
Senior
And1: 794

Post#14 » by MagicFrenchie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Let him spit his racist sh""t my friend, he said a lot of BS things regarding the world cup( that black french players have ZERO connections to France :crazy: ), I think he has not swallowed the fact that we destroyed them piece by piece.
Matty
General Manager

Post#15 » by Matty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:40 am

Everybody looks at it from the French angle, but if I'm Senegalese, Cameroonian, or any of the African heavyweights that were/weren't in the world cup, I can't help but look at the likes of Umtiti as sort of traitors.

Now hear me out, I have nothing against guys like Pogba playing for France whose origins are from little countries that would barely make it past the qualifying rounds of the African cup let alone the World cup. But Cameron was and still is the most successful country in African football. It's competed in more world cups then any other African nation and has won the 2nd most African cups, a very good achievement considering it's only the 17th most populous country on the continent. Umtiti was actually born there so you can't say he doesn't have any connections. The federation made a pitch for him and he declined.

It's why I have mighty respect for guys like Drogba and not so much for guys like Hargreaves, who ditched Canada to play for England.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#16 » by DCRYsing89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 am

eagle54 wrote:Not a good reflection.. Watch Batum said about this yesterday...
Guys were born in France, lived in france when they were young (so educated in france) and moreover feel french. So why there are not french ? This (fake) debate is silly... It's not even a debate in reality.

You talk about Griezmann, his parents are french too :roll: Origins it's different. I'm french and I have italian origins by my mother (herself by his dad) too but I never live in Italy, I don't speak italian and I have nothing to do with Italy...

So if you think like that , there are maybe 5% of true french in France because all people have foreign origins in their families....
Look the others euro teams close to france, germany belgium england have already players with somes origins.
Watch US team too ...

When team usa won in basketball, who said same thing ?

I 100% agree with what your saying.
If you state you have to play where your parent/ parents are from,
Zlatan would not be allowed to play for sweden,
Kyrie Irving wouldnt be allowed to play for USA,
Thon Maker wouldnt be allowed to play for Australia.
David Pocock would not be playing for Australia in rugby,
Kevin Peterson wouldnt of played for england in cricket,
Chris Frome wouldnt be a english cyclist,
Andy Murray would not be classified as a english man,
You cant pigeon hole people into a certain nation just because of a certain trait
Its were you feel most at home, the flag you love and the anthem you sing.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#17 » by eagle54 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 am

Matty wrote:Everybody looks at it from the French angle, but if I'm Senegalese, Cameroonian, or any of the African heavyweights that were/weren't in the world cup, I can't help but look at the likes of Umtiti as sort of traitors.

Now hear me out, I have nothing against guys like Pogba playing for France whose origins are from little countries that would barely make it past the qualifying rounds of the African cup let alone the World cup. But Cameron was and still is the most successful country in African football. It's competed in more world cups then any other African nation and has won the 2nd most African cups, a very good achievement considering it's only the 17th most populous country on the continent. Umtiti was actually born there so you can't say he doesn't have any connections. The federation made a pitch for him and he declined.

It's why I have mighty respect for guys like Drogba and not so much for guys like Hargreaves, who ditched Canada to play for England.

No you're wrong.
Umtiti were born in Cameroon yes, but he went in france at 2 years old so all his child memories are in France, he grew in France not in Cameroon, most of his live was in France so why you can't understand he feels more french than Cameroonian ? It's really hard to understand ? It's just personal choice, if all these guys feel french and have more connection with france so which is the problem ? you can't have a few origins ? (As I was saying in my last post, without origins, there are maybe 5% /10 % of true french... But you know, in the same vein if we talk History, in USA there are in reality really very few true American... :P )

It's not a guy who lived in Africa 10 years and came in France at 15. It's not the same example of Ibaka or Anthony Randolph which take the nationality after 1 year in the country...

Pogba and lots of players it's more clear, he were born and past all the life in France, the connection with africa is his parents so it's origins but for him all his life is in France. So why he would play for the country of his parents when he may not have discovered this country until he was a teenager ?

Watch Tunisian team or Senegal team in this World Cup and watch were guys were born... ===> in France... So with your thinking, all these guys are not Senegalese or Tunisian but French :P ...

And do you want to talk about team usa for example ? or maybe the US soccer team ? because Pulisic it's not really US, Timothy Weah his father is President of Liberia, Jermaine Jones were born in Germany, Julian Green have german nationality too. Villafana or Corona who played against France 1 month ago it's american ? So I think in USA you can more easily understand than other country. It's time to change mentality. :D
Craafty16
Sophomore
And1: 267

Post#18 » by Craafty16 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Would they? Maybe.

Could they? Absolutely. I would have them as favorites to win the final.

Return to The General Soccer Board