2018 FIFA World Cup Final: France vs. Croatia

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

AK47MVP
Veteran
And1: 1,625

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup Final: France vs. Croatia 

Post#161 » by AK47MVP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 am

bravor wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:Unlucky for Croatia. dominated first half and yet where down 1-2 after it. France did not even have a single shot if you do not count the penalty but had 2 goals. Football can be cruel.

You are probably too young to know it, but France had its share of bad luck, especially the Platini's team. But even in 2006 for last WC from Zidane. At that time, France was playing, i guess they learnt the lesson, and have one more star now.

My first world cup I saw and remember quite decently was in 1982. Platini's team won 1984 Eurochampionship so not much to complain about that time. But if you referring to 3-4 overtime loss vs Germany when Schumacher should have given red cad, than I understand your pain.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#162 » by NYSixersFan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:47 am

The point of VAR is similar to other replays in sports....overturn obvious errors...it often fails in other sports and it failed today.

You can make an argument that it was a penalty....you can also make an argument that it wasn't....

In that situation, the call on the field/pitch should stand....period!
maRioGrande
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#163 » by maRioGrande » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am

NYSixersFan wrote:The point of VAR is similar to other replays in sports....overturn obvious errors...it often fails in other sports and it failed today.

You can make an argument that it was a penalty....you can also make an argument that it wasn't....

In that situation, the call on the field/pitch should stand....period!

Ref watched replay for a minute or longer. Went to the court and then back to watch it one more time. He wasn't sure about it by no means. Should've stayed with original decision.

But France is France and Croatia is Croatia. He would never call a penalty if Germany or England were on Croatia place.

Congrats to France, great tournament, wish the game ended without ref making some crucial mistakes
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#164 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm

really, people are mad about the PK?

How is that not rule a PK? it hit his hand almost directly, away from the natural position nor was it tuck.

It wasn't like it was deflected into his hand by accident.

Don't see a travesty here.... it was pure stupid and luck that of all places, it hits the hands of a croatian in the box.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
maRioGrande
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#165 » by maRioGrande » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:really, people are mad about the PK?

How is that not rule a PK? it hit his hand almost directly, away from the natural position nor was it tuck.

It wasn't like it was deflected into his hand by accident.

Don't see a travesty here.... it was pure stupid and luck that of all places, it hits the hands of a croatian in the box.

People will agree or disagree with refs decision. IMO this is not situation where you're 100% sure that it was PK. Not enough to change first decision.

And then the clear dive when foul for first goal was called together with Pogbas activation from offside.

We have every right to s*** on ref
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,436

Post#166 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:13 pm

TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#167 » by TheTrooper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 pm

The celebration in Zagreb is crazy. Over 100k people at the main square waiting for over 6 hours in the sun. The players are stuck in trafick their bus is traveling for 3 hours now from the airport and it cannot move out of all the people around it. It was barely moving until now and it just got stuck and is not even close to the square.
Insane.....just imagine the crowd and Zagreb metro population is about 1.1 million.

Edit: They are still stuck. They cant make the last few hundred meters from the stage. The estimates are over 500k people have been out to celebrate. Biggest crowd in the country's history. Over 10% of the population is out there.
eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 515

Post#168 » by eagle54 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 pm

They did it World Champions , WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :rock: Respect for Croatia, the most difficult team for us in this competition. Really Sorry for us because they have a good team but they have lots of young talents for future too ;) France was lethal, it was our yead and now this second star it's the karma for 2006. :D

I watched the game in a fanzone and it was unbelievable, really, on fire. I can't imagined in big cities (watch the pics but france was on fire) but it was crazy. My voice is dead, party time all the night ( sleepless night :lol: ), horn for hours (I have lots of videos for memories ahah).

Enjoy if you can imagine:

The parade today (one hour ago)

others pics here : https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Diaporama/La-celebration-des-bleus-en-photos/6969
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,693

Post#169 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 am

and bonus, drunk Kovačić singing songs :lol:

300-500 000 people celebrating retun home of silver medal winners at WC in country of bearly 4 000 000 people . :clap: :clap: :rockon:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#170 » by Stribor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:53 am

Happy for my Croatia, though this generation was really unlucky.

In 2012, we were playing Euro in group with Spain ITaly and Ireland, won Ireland, dominated Italy but finished 1:1 and lose to spain against we were equal with 1:0 goal in 88 min. Final was Italy-Spain.

In 2014 something did not work, Brazil beat us, we won against Ghana and then Mexico really destroyed us. They all seemed physically destroyed.

In 2016 most of the press considered us as playing nicest games in group stage and then we immediately run into a Portugal, we played better but were unlcuky in front of the goal and CR managed to score in 117 min. They again went to the become champions.

This generation was actualy better few years ago when we still had Srna and Olic, but was extremely unlucky :(

Return to The General Soccer Board