2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Moderators: Baphomet, kdawg32086

User avatar
Young Stapler
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,616
And1: 3,801
Joined: Feb 04, 2019
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#121 » by Young Stapler » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:06 am

What a win by Gladbach. From 0-2 down to win and they deserved to win.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#122 » by Foye » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:24 am

Lets hope that Eintracht underestimate Mainz again.

A win here and they might be able to turn a corner in this rotten season.
ZoLo
Senior
Posts: 554
And1: 271
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#123 » by ZoLo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:45 pm

I always knew if we beat Mainz one day at Bruchweg it´s gonna be a dirty win.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#124 » by Foye » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 am

ZoLo wrote:I always knew if we beat Mainz one day at Bruchweg it´s gonna be a dirty win.


I thought the penalties were at the very least questionable. Silva and Hinteregger certainly sold it well to the ref lol. Burkardt certainly should‘ve gotten one as well given the refs „foul measurement“.

This goes well with the trend in the league that refs have been whistling way too much tick-tack contacts. I hate it.

That said, our midfield was horrible again and had nothing under control.
I am quite confident that we would‘ve lost this game even without the two penalties.
ZoLo
Senior
Posts: 554
And1: 271
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#125 » by ZoLo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Foye wrote:
ZoLo wrote:I always knew if we beat Mainz one day at Bruchweg it´s gonna be a dirty win.


I thought the penalties were at the very least questionable. Silva and Hinteregger certainly sold it well to the ref lol. Burkardt certainly should‘ve gotten one as well given the refs „foul measurement“.

This goes well with the trend in the league that refs have been whistling way too much tick-tack contacts. I hate it.


I hate it too. VA doesn´t make a difference regarding selling fouls. iIts a major skill for players of this era. It´s one of many reasons why i am not excited about football anymore.
But i am not sure if we had won without the help of the ref. Even if this is the worst Mainzer squad i´ve ever seen. I don´t see how they are gonna make it this year. If Schalke goes on a run and trashy squads like Bielefeld pick up points here and there, then they are not going to survive.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#126 » by Foye » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 am

ZoLo wrote:
Foye wrote:
ZoLo wrote:I always knew if we beat Mainz one day at Bruchweg it´s gonna be a dirty win.


I thought the penalties were at the very least questionable. Silva and Hinteregger certainly sold it well to the ref lol. Burkardt certainly should‘ve gotten one as well given the refs „foul measurement“.

This goes well with the trend in the league that refs have been whistling way too much tick-tack contacts. I hate it.


I hate it too. VA doesn´t make a difference regarding selling fouls. iIts a major skill for players of this era. It´s one of many reasons why i am not excited about football anymore.
But i am not sure if we had won without the help of the ref. Even if this is the worst Mainzer squad i´ve ever seen. I don´t see how they are gonna make it this year. If Schalke goes on a run and trashy squads like Bielefeld pick up points here and there, then they are not going to survive.


Agreed. I do think the Baku deal was the final backbreaker for us.
You know I puked about this deal for a long-time since it was fairly evident for me that he is the clubs best player. And Schröder basically just gave him away for nothing. Probably the only above average player the roster had with Mateta (when on form).
3 losses against Dortmund, Wolfsburg and Leipzig coming up next and then everyone else will be way out of our reach in the snake race at the bottom. I do think Heidel can start planning for the second league right now.

Build a new team around Burkardt, Barreiro, Tauer, Dahmen and Nebel.
There are quite a few amazing talents in the U19 as well who unfortunately can't play right now due to COVID. I am a big fan of Fichtner.
Mustapha from the U23 is good as well but not composed enough in front of the goal yet. Gotta take advantage of that great youth work as much as possible.

I have been advocating that Burkardt should get minutes for years now.
I think the past few games against Bayern and also Eintracht have shown that he is a great talent as a striker because he keeps on working and working to create chances for himself even if he is not yet taking advantage enough.
If Schröder/Schwarz/Beierlorzer/Lichte didn't somehow give him the "oh, you are just from the youth academy, you can play RB, RW or preferably not at all"-treatment for two freaking years he would be much further ahead in his development and already converting more of the chances that he is currently still missing.

Nebel has seen the same treatment in his first professional season. In terms of decision making and technique he is probably the clubs best player already. Yet, the old management kept on letting him play in the 4th league (in favour of Ji LOOOOL!) instead of directly giving him a run like Leverkusen does with Wirtz. He is back from injury now. Hopefully, he will get some minutes sooner than later.

I do think this team will be much more watchable next year in the 2nd league. Although, I doubt they will directly promote again. It will most likely take longer than a year to build a solid foundation. Because there is none available currently.

I hope they manage to get rid of all the deadweight on the roster in the offseason. Martin and Abass were the first ones. Plenty more available that need to be gone, especially Szalai, Latza and Ji.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#127 » by Foye » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 pm

Did everyone catch Erlings latest goal against Leipzig btw.?

Sick how he draws attention of 5 people.
ZoLo
Senior
Posts: 554
And1: 271
Joined: Feb 28, 2013
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#128 » by ZoLo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Not a bad start for us vs Leverkusen. Also, ma boy Luka is coming home.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#129 » by Foye » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Kiel throwing Bayern out of the Cup lmao
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#130 » by Foye » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 pm

Got a point against Dortmund.
Tauer now getting minutes as well.

Team will be much improved under Svensson. Just a matter whether it can improve enough to stay in the league given they are 5 points behind the 16th spot.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#131 » by Foye » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 pm

With that Cologne victory today our relegation is pretty much secured.

This team is not good enough to gain 8 pts on Cologne ans Bielefeld
User avatar
Young Stapler
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,616
And1: 3,801
Joined: Feb 04, 2019
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#132 » by Young Stapler » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:57 pm

Köln beats Schalke in the 93rd minute!! Danke schön!
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#133 » by Foye » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:54 am

Young Stapler wrote:Köln beats Schalke in the 93rd minute!! Danke schön!


That Cologne roster is dreadful IMHO.
Similar to Mainz, there are maybe three or four players on the roster that can rightfully name themselves Bundesliga starters and no goalscorers whatsoever.

Given that fact, I think Gisdol is doing an amazing job. Really profiting from the exercise Gisdol did last year to promote the youth around Thielmann, Jakobs, Cestic and Katterbach.

As long as Cologne stay in the league, they can improve next year just by focussing on internal growth from the youngsters.
User avatar
Little Nathan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,772
And1: 4,226
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: Germany
   

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#134 » by Little Nathan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Seems like a loss against Bremen could be the end for Labbadia and - more importantly - for Preetz. I don't know, kinda rooting for a loss now...I guess?

Honestly, even though I have barely followed the team this season, it's hard to blame Labbadia for this mess. The roster just sucks. The flaws were always obvious and the money to fix them was there. It's really easy to see who needs to go first.
"Heart is a skill that player who shoot 3s might not have." - Chris Webber, actually getting paid for this
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#135 » by Foye » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Best game we have played in the last three years at least.

If they keep fighting like that...there‘s a chance to stay in.

Da Costa and Kohr have been really helpful today.

Sörloth is such a scrub. No idea why Leipzig bought him.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#136 » by Foye » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Little Nathan wrote:Seems like a loss against Bremen could be the end for Labbadia and - more importantly - for Preetz. I don't know, kinda rooting for a loss now...I guess?

Honestly, even though I have barely followed the team this season, it's hard to blame Labbadia for this mess. The roster just sucks. The flaws were always obvious and the money to fix them was there. It's really easy to see who needs to go first.


Seems like you are getting your wish.

Rouven Schröder is available. What do you think?

Might save us a euro or two if he is gone from the payroll lol
The_Brecht
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,381
And1: 516
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#137 » by The_Brecht » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Foye wrote:Best game we have played in the last three years at least.

If they keep fighting like that...there‘s a chance to stay in.

Da Costa and Kohr have been really helpful today.

Sörloth is such a scrub. No idea why Leipzig bought him.


Scored a lot of goals in the super weak Turkish league.
Was bad at Crystal Palace and decent at Gent, so no surprise he's flopping at Leipzig.

Congratz with the win though, it's still Leipzig.
West-Flemish for behinners:

    - Dust means thirsty.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#138 » by Foye » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:32 pm

The_Brecht wrote:
Foye wrote:Best game we have played in the last three years at least.

If they keep fighting like that...there‘s a chance to stay in.

Da Costa and Kohr have been really helpful today.

Sörloth is such a scrub. No idea why Leipzig bought him.


Thanks. I am hoping for another transfer or two to turn things around.

Scored a lot of goals in the super weak Turkish league.
Was bad at Crystal Palace and decent at Gent, so no surprise he's flopping at Leipzig.

Congratz with the win though, it's still Leipzig.


Turkish league is really dreadful.

Even our former backup OM Alexandru Maxim who had trouble even seeing the pitch for us is scoring in double digits there.
User avatar
baldur
Head Coach
Posts: 7,216
And1: 8,071
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
     

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#139 » by baldur » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Do you think Dortmund will be finishing the league in the first top 4?
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,400
And1: 2,717
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: 2020-21 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#140 » by Foye » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:07 am

baldur wrote:Do you think Dortmund will be finishing the league in the first top 4?


At this point I think they are where they deserve to be.
Gladbach, Wolfsburg and Frankfurt have been really good lately. Leverkusen and Leipzig are ahead of them as well.

Wont be pretty if they miss the CL. They already have huge losses this year due to Covid. A year without CL would be a second big blow to their finances and maybe force them to sell Haaland.

Return to The General Soccer Board