2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Re: 2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#721 » by Cactus Jack » Sun May 22, 2022 6:37 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:But what do you do? Can't do a cap without all the leagues doing it, or you'll just make the EPL rubbish. So I don't know. Awfully frustrating coming in second yet again. Perhaps I'll get over it here in a few days.

This wasn't "getting kinda boring" 5 hours ago....so I prob just need a few days to digest. How a Newcastle fan, or Westham fan, or one of the many other teams' fans make it through the season year after year, is beyond me. It seems like it would be so uninteresting.

A playoff among the top 4 would add more intrigue. But the English would never go for it. Because they won't break from tradition.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#722 » by The_Brecht » Sun May 22, 2022 6:53 pm

Madness today.
This is what football is about.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#723 » by The_Brecht » Sun May 22, 2022 6:54 pm

Baphomet wrote:Villa imploded, wow

A Gerrard slip for the title.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#724 » by Baphomet » Sun May 22, 2022 6:57 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:But what do you do? Can't do a cap without all the leagues doing it, or you'll just make the EPL rubbish. So I don't know. Awfully frustrating coming in second yet again. Perhaps I'll get over it here in a few days.

This wasn't "getting kinda boring" 5 hours ago....so I prob just need a few days to digest. How a Newcastle fan, or Westham fan, or one of the many other teams' fans make it through the season year after year, is beyond me. It seems like it would be so uninteresting.

Football isn't just defined by who brings the trophies home at the end of every season. 90% of clubs don't win anything. It's about fan culture, it's about the patchwork of moments that form the tapestry of each season, and the thin line between glory and defeat. When you're down and out, sometimes for decades, it makes the ascent all the more thrilling because you were there and remember how bitter those failures felt. If, of course, that ascent ever comes.

When you love a football club, as with anything else, rationality rarely factors in. There's a hope that, no matter how unlikely it is, next season might be the season.

Of course, the disappointment of today is still very fresh and I understand that. However, you support a generational Liverpool team that will be remembered forever in the annals of football history as one of Europe's most dominant, and will continue to be competitive on all fronts. My advice would be to enjoy it while it lasts, because all things are transient.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#725 » by wco81 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:21 pm

With Haaland next season, it may not even be as close this season.

Liverpool has to pay big to keep Salah but they also need to look at getting younger players as well.

Are they willing to go on a spending spree?

Or any of the other EPL title aspirants?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#726 » by wco81 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:26 pm

Baphomet wrote:

Football isn't just defined by who brings the trophies home at the end of every season. 90% of clubs don't win anything. It's about fan culture, it's about the patchwork of moments that form the tapestry of each season, and the thin line between glory and defeat. When you're down and out, sometimes for decades, it makes the ascent all the more thrilling because you were there and remember how bitter those failures felt. If, of course, that ascent ever comes.

When you love a football club, as with anything else, rationality rarely factors in. There's a hope that, no matter how unlikely it is, next season might be the season.

Of course, the disappointment of today is still very fresh and I understand that. However, you support a generational Liverpool team that will be remembered forever in the annals of football history as one of Europe's most dominant, and will continue to be competitive on all fronts. My advice would be to enjoy it while it lasts, because all things are transient.

If a club wins the league for say 4-5 seasons straight, will this attitude change, that winning the title isn't the ultimate, it's the journey or whatever?

I guess it really comes down to what the owners are willing to do.

It appears competitive clubs, at least vying for the top 4 and maybe the mid table teams which are able to hold or even win occasionally against the richest clubs will always get great fan support, sellouts of home matches.

But when you have City, which may or may not need a striker to continue dominating the EPL for the next few years, can afford to pay to acquire Haaland, if nothing else to make sure other EPL clubs and CL clubs can acquire him, are there other owners willing to adopt such a cutthroat approach?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,783

Post#727 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 22, 2022 9:02 pm

Brilliant season finish, City showed champpions character, down 0-2 and coming back, congrats to them, it was close.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#728 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 am

Baphomet wrote:City champions.
Spurs make the Champions League.
Burnley down, Leeds survive.
Sonny and Salah get a Golden Boot each.

The best team won the title.
Spurs deserve their 4th place.
Burnley should have kept Dyche, Leeds lucky but I hope they keep playing the entertaining football next season, Lucky Everton.

Congrats to Baph, Stormi and all the liverpool fans on here for making Champion's league.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#729 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:41 am

Cactus Jack wrote:LOL...I think I'm officially done with the sport. I'm out.

Because you weren't good enough to win everything?

You've done well to finish second and win the Cups. You should be happy supporters. If not Good bye.

HIF
RealGM

Post#730 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:42 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Liverpool had no business running it as close as they did, and still be competitive in every cup and the CL. Incredible season for them to still be in with a shot of a quadruple so late. It's obviously disappointing not to win the league, but they'll be back again so long as Klopp is there.

Idk...This might be the breaking point for me lol. I could honestly care less about the Final next week. Cheers.

I understand that but second in the prem to a great team is a decent result. You can't think you actually deserve the quadruple?

HIF
RealGM

Post#731 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
Liverpool had no business running it as close as they did, and still be competitive in every cup and the CL. Incredible season for them to still be in with a shot of a quadruple so late. It's obviously disappointing not to win the league, but they'll be back again so long as Klopp is there.

Idk...This might be the breaking point for me lol. I could honestly care less about the Final next week. Cheers.

Yeah, the CL is just really not a deal for me either. It'll be nice to win, and I hope they do. Winning it will still give legitimacy to what a remarkable season we had.....but yeah, it's pretty empty without the Prem. At least in my opinion.

Before sound like sour-grapes, let me be the first to say MC are champions. They deserve it, they earned it. Truly a great team. But we're now what? 19 Manchester titles in 30 years? 4 of 5 for MC.......AND they just signed one of the top new strikers, and are about to sign some great midfielder. The league is in danger of being some foregone conclusion every year. I know Liverpool are right there in the thick of things almost every year, and we were withing a whisker of the treble....possibly a quad. So I include them in this discussion here. The league needs to figure out a little more parity. I'll leave it a that.

I HATE salary caps.....and I am generally totally against leagues meddling, and layering rule over rule. But I do think something prob needs to be done here soon. And yes.....had Liverpool won, I could argue it's only their second title....but in reality it woulod just be one of the other "Large clubs" that seem to win everything. So I''m not picking on just MC. But 4 in 5...with top notch reinforcements already slotted to add to the disparity brings the point home. It's prob time for some other teams to be in the mix.

So Cactus...I get where your at. This is getting kinda boring.

You really don't want the parity you're claiming. Liverpool could end up finishing 14th in the league easily. You want to have the most money to spend so that you can win more than 3 trophies each year. That's sad.

HIF
RealGM

Post#732 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 am

And what about a palace fan? :D

HIF
RealGM

Post#733 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:45 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

A playoff among the top 4 would add more intrigue. But the English would never go for it. Because they won't break from tradition.

We have Cups for playoffs. The league is about being the best over the whole year. not about being a top4/top8 and then not having injuries at the end of the season.

HIF
RealGM

Post#734 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am

The_Brecht wrote:Madness today.
This is what football is about.

There are some that just don't understand.

Burnley and Leeds today was what football is about.

HIF
RealGM

Post#735 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 am

Baphomet wrote:

Well said. A couple of years ago and Liverpool didn't even have a prem title. Now they could have a couple of CL titles and the prem and cups. How would these "fans" ever handle relegation?

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#736 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 23, 2022 8:49 am

HIF wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

We have Cups for playoffs. The league is about being the best over the whole year. not about being a top4/top8 and then not having injuries at the end of the season.

I know this, HIF. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Something we just won't agree on.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#737 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 23, 2022 8:57 am

HIF wrote:

Because you weren't good enough to win everything?

You've done well to finish second and win the Cups. You should be happy supporters. If not Good bye.

Can confirm, not very happy at the moment. Look, I get it. Things won't change. But that doesn't mean I can't have a difference of opinion on a matter. Is the sport perfect? Far from it. You know that. I think I just need to take a little break from consuming it is all.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#738 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 23, 2022 2:19 pm

HIF wrote:You really don't want the parity you're claiming. Liverpool could end up finishing 14th in the league easily. You want to have the most money to spend so that you can win more than 3 trophies each year. That's sad.

I'd really rather you didn't tell me what it is that I think. Firstly, it should be noted that I brought this up before yesterday. Yesterday was a tough one to swallow, but that's sports. We both understand that. Yes, I know Liverpool will come in 14th in a league with parity. My Lakers have just dealt with their worst decade prob ever. Being a fan is not all peaches and cream....nobody claimed in would be. So you can stop with the "I want 3 trophies each year" stuff. Your putting words in my mouth.

The prem has basically had 3 winners the last 20 years...with your Liecester squad, and Liverpool each nabbing one. Yesterday City won it's 4th in 5 years, and as I pointed out, already have top talent on the way. I think the league could be better....all I'm saying.

Don't know about you.....but I was a little over the Cav's / Warriors by their 4th straight final. I'm a little over MC now. It would be nice to see some other teams A) win the league, and B) be competing for top 4. And yes, I am aware that there are guys who are 'over Liverpool'. But in reality....we've won 2 FA cups, 1 Prem, and 2 CL (maybe 3) in 25 years. So we're hardly gobbling up all the hardware. That's a trophy every 5 years. So while we may be a "big 4" or whatever.....and it's fun to throw stones at us as "spoiled"....truth is a trophy every 5 years is really nothing special. And if someone wants to point to Sheffield and say "well what have they won in 25 years??!!" <----- YES!!! That's my point exactly! Thank you! Almost every team should have a piece or two of hardware every 10-15 years. THATS sports, if you ask me.

The reason I don't care for Spanish football is that it's the same season over and over again. Go look at their history: Barca and Madrid have like 75 of the last 90 titles. What's the fun in that? How is that interesting? Do you really hit the streets and light it up if your a Madrid fan.....I mean come on. You've basically got about a 45% chance of winning every year. How's that fun to watch by the 25th year? I just don't want to see the Prem turn into this. Doubly so when it's an owner who just pours hundreds of millions in over a couple seasons, and manufactures a dynasty....overtaking the last billionaire who did the same.

You can have a different opinion. Maybe you think the Prem is perfect, and hey....thats fine. I can respect that. But don't tell me I just want to hog all the trophies for myself....like I'm some kinda 4 year old, who didn't get his way.
HIF
RealGM

Post#739 » by HIF » Mon May 23, 2022 3:59 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
HIF wrote:You really don't want the parity you're claiming. Liverpool could end up finishing 14th in the league easily. You want to have the most money to spend so that you can win more than 3 trophies each year. That's sad.

I'd really rather you didn't tell me what it is that I think. Firstly, it should be noted that I brought this up before yesterday. Yesterday was a tough one to swallow, but that's sports. We both understand that. Yes, I know Liverpool will come in 14th in a league with parity. My Lakers have just dealt with their worst decade prob ever. Being a fan is not all peaches and cream....nobody claimed in would be. So you can stop with the "I want 3 trophies each year" stuff. Your putting words in my mouth.

The prem has basically had 3 winners the last 20 years...with your Liecester squad, and Liverpool each nabbing one. Yesterday City won it's 4th in 5 years, and as I pointed out, already have top talent on the way. I think the league could be better....all I'm saying.

Don't know about you.....but I was a little over the Cav's / Warriors by their 4th straight final. I'm a little over MC now. It would be nice to see some other teams A) win the league, and B) be competing for top 4. And yes, I am aware that there are guys who are 'over Liverpool'. But in reality....we've won 2 FA cups, 1 Prem, and 2 CL (maybe 3) in 25 years. So we're hardly gobbling up all the hardware. That's a trophy every 5 years. So while we may be a "big 4" or whatever.....and it's fun to throw stones at us as "spoiled"....truth is a trophy every 5 years is really nothing special. And if someone wants to point to Sheffield and say "well what have they won in 25 years??!!" <----- YES!!! That's my point exactly! Thank you! Almost every team should have a piece or two of hardware every 10-15 years. THATS sports, if you ask me.

The reason I don't care for Spanish football is that it's the same season over and over again. Go look at their history: Barca and Madrid have like 75 of the last 90 titles. What's the fun in that? How is that interesting? Do you really hit the streets and light it up if your a Madrid fan.....I mean come on. You've basically got about a 45% chance of winning every year. How's that fun to watch by the 25th year? I just don't want to see the Prem turn into this. Doubly so when it's an owner who just pours hundreds of millions in over a couple seasons, and manufactures a dynasty....overtaking the last billionaire who did the same.

You can have a different opinion. Maybe you think the Prem is perfect, and hey....thats fine. I can respect that. But don't tell me I just want to hog all the trophies for myself....like I'm some kinda 4 year old, who didn't get his way.

Sorry that you think I'm putting words in your mouth. I was saying what I understood you were saying, obviously didn't understand.

To me it seems that you have a very short term view of football. So what if Man city have won the title a lot recently, they have been the best, before your time period of 20 years ago, they didn't win it at all however it was the same but it was Man U and Arsenal and Liverpool. I reckon in 10 years it'll be Newcastle and whomever else has invested in their teams. The prem is a very competitive league where any team can win on any given week. I don't like some teams who have an excessive financial advantage and that was supposed to be stopped with FFP which needs improving but for any of the big 6 (now7) to be complaining about others having a financial advantage is ludicrous. Liverpool are as much to blame for this as anyone. The big few have been voting to keep themselves at the top forever. If anyone should be complaining at the moment it's the other divisions in England which have been cheated by the prem setup.

I'm sure you know your Liverpool history. When was the last time they didn't finish in the top 8 (of 92)? I'm sure you know it was a while before you were born.

So if it comes across that I think your acting like some kind of 4 year old I'm sorry but you're acting like some spoilt reactionary aren't you?

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#740 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 pm

HIF wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

Sorry that you think I'm putting words in your mouth. I was saying what I understood you were saying, obviously didn't understand.

To me it seems that you have a very short term view of football. So what if Man city have won the title a lot recently, they have been the best, before your time period of 20 years ago, they didn't win it at all however it was the same but it was Man U and Arsenal and Liverpool. I reckon in 10 years it'll be Newcastle and whomever else has invested in their teams. The prem is a very competitive league where any team can win on any given week. I don't like some teams who have an excessive financial advantage and that was supposed to be stopped with FFP which needs improving but for any of the big 6 (now7) to be complaining about others having a financial advantage is ludicrous. Liverpool are as much to blame for this as anyone. The big few have been voting to keep themselves at the top forever. If anyone should be complaining at the moment it's the other divisions in England which have been cheated by the prem setup.

I'm sure you know your Liverpool history. When was the last time they didn't finish in the top 8 (of 92)? I'm sure you know it was a while before you were born.

So if it comes across that I think your acting like some kind of 4 year old I'm sorry but you're acting like some spoilt reactionary aren't you?

Nah man....we're good. Perhaps I took what you wrote the wrong way.

Look....I get where your coming from. And I also understand it's a little hard to hear this coming from a Liverpool fan, and the timing makes it triple so. It just sounds like Im a sore loser. But where I'm coming from is this: It all started out looking back at titles for a discussion about Wenger, and it's really when I noticed how lopsided the league is, as far a trophies. It just shocked me, and I don't know that it a great thing. And it really started late-70's early 80's with Liverpool. They seemed to go on a tear, and oddly enough....Everton were right there. So while I call them the Manchester Twins....peeps in the 80's bemoaned the Liverpudlians, or whatever =0)

And then yeah....90's early 2000's were all ManU and Arsenal. I want to point out that I am not happy about any of that either. I wasn't watching in the 80's and early-mid 90's so I'm not gonna get too worked up about that. I leave that for someone else. But I will say I don't find that too healthy either. You go back before the 80's......and you've got like 14-15 different teams winning it all in 30 years. I think thats a great thing!

But while I do agree that there seems to be cycles. Liverpool had theirs in 80's. Arsenal had a run. United had an absolutely historical 20-some years.....I feel like those were (less than the old days prob) someone "home made". I think United signed that guy in the 90's who really changed things for them.....but you had a massive majority of guys from their youth...with a nice signing here or there (Rio Ferdinand was huge signing for them). I don't know about Arsenal. I have a feeling it was quite a bit less 'home grown', but there were guys there who were not stars. Who were Arsenal through.

But then came Chelsea. And it was like "I want this guy. And that guy. Ooh....yeah, I'll take him. And let's get that guy....." You know what I mean....I'm sure you were there. That forced United and Liverpool to step up their buying game, and then City showed up, and took it to a whole new level.

I don't hate City. I have a buddy who's from Manchester, and had been a starving City fan all his life. I was super happy for him when they hoisted their title. And then a little less happy the 2nd time, but still happy.........but 6 titles later in a decade, with no sign of stopping.....yeah, I gotta say I'm over it. And will it end? Sure.....Man City will not always be the one. But I don't want there to be "a one". And I want it even less to depend solely on an owner, who splashes $$$ at everything. I don't know about you.....but I was so freakin sick of United winning title after title after title after title....but then instead of things "going back to normal" for a while, you instead just get the new bully on the corner. With the disparity of the 'haves and have-nots' getting deeper and deeper.

We shouldn't have the same 6-7 teams winning EVERYTHING for 30-35 years. And we shouldn't have the same 3 teams winning the title....with some lucky shmoe poking his head up once a decade to "steal one" <----almost how it feels.

50% of the league shouldn't go hardware-less for 40 years.....I'm sorry. I don't think that's a good thing at all.

I know Liverpool are on a run of good form, and we're really lucky to have the pockets and the players to stay relevant for as often as we are. But we're 1 title in 30-35 years. Thank god for Europe, or we'd have one trophy a decade. And Liverpool fans are supposed to feel special, and lucky!! I mean, how crazy is that???

But again...I have no idea how to fix. Was just pointing out that I think it's flawed. The frustration of City A)winning again, and B) pulling the rug out from under us, prob led to the bottle exploding...as it were. So I know the timing looks bad. But I just think all across the boards......you can't have 2-3 teams winning it all with some random team breaking through ONCE every decade. And you can't have half the league winning nothing for decades. It's not good sports, IMO.

I think its the owner thing. You have great players. You know Jordan had his run with the Bulls. Kobe got 5. Duncan got 5. Lebron has 4...and has been to many finals. That's sorta understandable...and even with them, they only win about once every 4 years. And then those teams come and go about every 10-12 years.....with plenty of other teams in between winning. You've got tons of winners in the NBA over the last 30 years. And for every winner you have a Phoenix, or a Sacramento, or Houston, or OKC, or Jazz who may not win....but have legitimate shots for a few years, and fans have something to really be hopeful for. You don't have to win....but holy hell....you gotta have a reason to hope every once in a while, no? I mean if your Burnley, and you knock Liverpool or Chelsea out of the FA quarter finals once every 15 years......does that really do it for you?

Anyhow....I think the owners bring a new dynamic. And while you might get lucky, and be chosen.....great.....enjoy 8 titles in 12 years, until the next owner comes along. But it's not a good LEAGUE.

I've prob repeated myself enough. Sorry for the book. You know, there are a ton of positives. The last day was really special, and had lots of stories....and was a nail-biter for alot of teams. Sorry to Arse for missing CL. Grats to Tott for making it. And I really do mean this when I say that MC watched it all get flushed away in 10 minutes of craziness a few weeks back. And it was all happening again, but they mustered up some magic of their own, and won it with an amazing bit of play of their own. They are totally worthy champs. My issue is not with losing. And I do think that for all the flaws, there's still plenty of days like yesterday that show how healthy the league is.

But how many titles to City have to win before it turns into Spain? 5 more? 10 more? I'd like to see half the league win at least 1 title before City win 10 more. Same if it were Liverpool. But we now what the overwhelmingly likely scenario is. City are more likely to win 10 before 3 other teams win 1.

Return to The General Soccer Board