Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread 

Post#1381 » by Next Coming » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Just want Alisson back:(
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,649

Post#1382 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:39 pm

I think Mane was right to be frustrated. Not sure who he was jawing at, as he walked to the bench. It wasn't Klopp.

To Salah's defense, there was an opening there for a second, and the defender between he and Mane had not committed either way. Strikers are inherently selfish...and Salah seems to be trying to find his form from a couple seasons ago. He had selfish plays last season too. I mean....they all do.

Klopp seemed angry as Salah earlier in the game as well. It's needs to have a conversation with the guy. The passing up top has been a really integral part of our success, IMO. Too many acts of selfishness can rot the attitude, and guys start thinking "im gettin' mine..f%* this...." and the potency of our offense goes down the drain.

Salah had some nice dishes too....so it's not the end of the world. Klopp needs to get in top of it, and reinforce the benefits of passing up top for a few practices....get that concept back at the fore-front of our team.

Otherwise, good game. Burnley got a little dirty that second half. Their intention was clear: Muck up the game. It's a strategy, and I don't particularly have a problem with it, as long as the ref observes what's happening, and gives penalties, and cards accordingly.

Burnley often gives us fits. I think 3-0 was not a fair scoreline for them.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#1383 » by freethedevil » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:30 years this year isnt it?

that would be a good time to win tha 19th title for pool.

Ive always found b.s to make a difference between Pre-premier titles and premier titles.

Yes...a title is a title. The fact that they changed some stadiums to not allow standing courts....and they threw a sponsor at the front of it, doesn't change the fact that it's still the 'top league' in England.

But by not having won a title in the premier-league era.....kinda tells you how long it's been. This team NEEDS to hoist the league title again....whatever it happens to be called.

Don't be spoiled, Tottenham need a title vastly more than liverpool
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1384 » by HIF » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 am

freethedevil wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:30 years this year isnt it?

that would be a good time to win tha 19th title for pool.

Ive always found b.s to make a difference between Pre-premier titles and premier titles.

Yes...a title is a title. The fact that they changed some stadiums to not allow standing courts....and they threw a sponsor at the front of it, doesn't change the fact that it's still the 'top league' in England.

But by not having won a title in the premier-league era.....kinda tells you how long it's been. This team NEEDS to hoist the league title again....whatever it happens to be called.

Don't be spoiled, Tottenham need a title vastly more than liverpool

I think Spurs won a pre-season cup. That'll be it for this year.

Liverpool must be smiling heartily at the moment.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#1385 » by Baphomet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 pm

freethedevil wrote:Don't be spoiled, Tottenham need a title vastly more than liverpool

This isn't necessarily true. Consider the weight of expectations. For a club like Liverpool, a club of massive stature close to the likes of Barca, Real, Juventus, etc. the idea of not winning the league title for 30 years is pretty much unthinkable, especially when you consider the quality of some of the teams Liverpool have had in that timespan - not to mention being overhauled by their most loathed rivals in Man United in that period.

Spurs have been good for a decent period of time now, but realistically aren't expected to be title contenders in any given season, nor do they 'need' a title any more than anyone else. The lack of domestic cups has been more worrisome to me as a Spurs fan, as I've had greater hope of winning some of those. The league is a different animal.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1386 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm

And so begins our CL title defense...
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1387 » by HIF » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am

I think that last year's success for British teams has made sure the other "big" teams improved over the summer, whilst it's obvious that the top British teams all have major weaknesses in their squads this season.

Liverpool look stronger than other British teams but an injury to Firminho or Sadé and that will be very different. Liverpool's problem is depth up front and a rather average midfield.

I can see no British teams in the final or perhaps even the semis.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,422

Post#1388 » by coldfish » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:21 pm

HIF wrote:I think that last year's success for British teams has made sure the other "big" teams improved over the summer, whilst it's obvious that the top British teams all have major weaknesses in their squads this season.

Liverpool look stronger than other British teams but an injury to Firminho or Sadé and that will be very different. Liverpool's problem is depth up front and a rather average midfield.

I dunno. Man City is fantastic and unlike Liverpool, they can handle an injury or two. Not sure if Tottenham makes a run again though. Liverpool will be in the mix as long as they stay healthy. Outside of their brainfart against Napoli, they will likely win their group. Believe it or not, Klopp has won something like 12 straight home and home ties in europe on Liverpool. Anfield is such an advantage.

So frustrating that Liverpool didn't get a quality attacker for depth. When Mane, Salah or Firmino are out, its noticeable. That's their achilles heel.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1389 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:57 pm

freethedevil wrote: Don't be spoiled, Tottenham need a title vastly more than liverpool

I've supported Liverpool since around 98-99, and I'd say I got "really into it" around 2002. So I'm pushing 20 years, and I've not seen one title. Worst of all....I've seen them come agonizingly close about 3-4 times. How's that make me spoiled?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1390 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:17 pm

coldfish wrote:
HIF wrote:I think that last year's success for British teams has made sure the other "big" teams improved over the summer, whilst it's obvious that the top British teams all have major weaknesses in their squads this season.

I dunno. Man City is fantastic and unlike Liverpool, they can handle an injury or two. Not sure if Tottenham makes a run again though. Liverpool will be in the mix as long as they stay healthy. Outside of their brainfart against Napoli, they will likely win their group. Believe it or not, Klopp has won something like 12 straight home and home ties in europe on Liverpool. Anfield is such an advantage.

So frustrating that Liverpool didn't get a quality attacker for depth. When Mane, Salah or Firmino are out, its noticeable. That's their achilles heel.

HIF...I agree that our Midfield is rather lack-luster. It's solid...but it lacks that "Stevie-G".

To Coldfish's point...I am bummed Liverpool held serve this offseason. We are literally a injury away from it all falling apart. Van-Dijk goes down....and I'd call our Defense sub-par. Fabinho or Henderson go down, and the Midfield becomes a huge liability. I Think Firmino is our best player (offensively), and without him....Salah and Mane won't be the same. He makes it all work.

Let's be honest: Fabinho and Henderson are nice solid players...but they are hardly 'elite'. And yet we are completely dependent on them for every game. Yeah....you can perhaps call me spoiled on this topic, but when your this close to it all....you gotta go for it man! Especially after the extra $$ from a Champs-title...and all the garbage you sell from that, and the TV stuff. They needed to bring in another decent defender....and shelled out Van-Dijk type money for a top-notch midfielder. And then, as Cold-Fish pointed out....another attacking option.

The season has started out well, so far. But City will keep chugging along, able to switch parts. Meanwhile....January comes up in a couple months, and all the games that that entails. And then Feb, Mar...so on, and we gotta pray our best 14-15 players will be available for every game, or else we're gonna start sliding.

This hot start is nice...but we've got over 30 games left in the PL. Let's hope we get some relief in the transfer window.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,422

Post#1391 » by coldfish » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:40 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
coldfish wrote:

HIF...I agree that our Midfield is rather lack-luster. It's solid...but it lacks that "Stevie-G".

To Coldfish's point...I am bummed Liverpool held serve this offseason. We are literally a injury away from it all falling apart. Van-Dijk goes down....and I'd call our Defense sub-par. Fabinho or Henderson go down, and the Midfield becomes a huge liability. I Think Firmino is our best player (offensively), and without him....Salah and Mane won't be the same. He makes it all work.

Let's be honest: Fabinho and Henderson are nice solid players...but they are hardly 'elite'. And yet we are completely dependent on them for every game. Yeah....you can perhaps call me spoiled on this topic, but when your this close to it all....you gotta go for it man! Especially after the extra $$ from a Champs-title...and all the garbage you sell from that, and the TV stuff. They needed to bring in another decent defender....and shelled out Van-Dijk type money for a top-notch midfielder. And then, as Cold-Fish pointed out....another attacking option.

The season has started out well, so far. But City will keep chugging along, able to switch parts. Meanwhile....January comes up in a couple months, and all the games that that entails. And then Feb, Mar...so on, and we gotta pray our best 14-15 players will be available for every game, or else we're gonna start sliding.

This hot start is nice...but we've got over 30 games left in the PL. Let's hope we get some relief in the transfer window.

Personally, I think Liverpool has a core group of fantastic players. Van Dijk, Allison, Robertson, Mane, Salah and Firmino. After that, I think Liverpool fans overrate their own players. I think that the depth is outright bad, which is why Liverpool bounces out of every cup competition early. Guys like Lallana, Ox, Shaqiri, Lovren, etc. aren't really that good.

So, yeah, totally agree. I would have loved to see a person or two brought in. Too much loyalty to the second group based on . . . what?

As far as the midfield, the guy I still have hope for is Keita. He was fantastic in Germany and was starting to show signs before getting hurt. I think Fabinho is fantastic defensively and a better distributor than given credit for. I think the midfield can be good. Get Keita going and pick up another guy and it can be great.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#1392 » by freethedevil » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:30 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
freethedevil wrote: Don't be spoiled, Tottenham need a title vastly more than liverpool

I've supported Liverpool since around 98-99, and I'd say I got "really into it" around 2002. So I'm pushing 20 years, and I've not seen one title. Worst of all....I've seen them come agonizingly close about 3-4 times. How's that make me spoiled?

You've seen a cl and multiple second place finshes. Now stop being greedy and share with the spurs.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#1393 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:39 pm

freethedevil wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

You've seen a cl and multiple second place finshes. Now stop being greedy and share with the spurs.

The Spurs have won quite a bit. If anything, they are the greedy ones. :wink:

No disrespect to Tottenham fans, but Liverpool are a giant club with greater expectations globally. Really only rivaled by United in English Football.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1394 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:47 am

freethedevil wrote:You've seen a cl and multiple second place finshes. Now stop being greedy and share with the spurs.

Prob not helping my case here....but I've seen 2 CL titles. Was in a pub with a good 80 or so Liverpool fans for 2005. What a day. Was def a big fan by then....but these guys/gals came in, and just started hanging Liverpool tapestries around the bar. I kid you not. This was a known soccer pub here in LA, and the owner was an old 2nd-division guy from England. He was a great sport about it (he can't complain....that place was PACKED for that game. Anyhow....they went to work hanging a good 10 or so tapestries around the place, and sang throughout the game....showed me a whole 'nother level of fan.

Didi Hamman...Smicer...and freakin Stevie. Xabi Alonso was a new signing as well....who put his finger on the game. Then Jerzy Dudek
did his rope-a-dope save there at the end....just epic. One of the greatest games ever. Alot like the Barca series last CL...but crushed into 1 game.

But that aside...it's been 20 years, and no PL title. Until we lift a couple of those...I consider this team an underachiever on my watch.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,500

Post#1395 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:10 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
freethedevil wrote:You've seen a cl and multiple second place finshes. Now stop being greedy and share with the spurs.

Prob not helping my case here....but I've seen 2 CL titles. Was in a pub with a good 80 or so Liverpool fans for 2005. What a day. Was def a big fan by then....but these guys/gals came in, and just started hanging Liverpool tapestries around the bar. I kid you not. This was a known soccer pub here in LA, and the owner was an old 2nd-division guy from England. He was a great sport about it (he can't complain....that place was PACKED for that game. Anyhow....they went to work hanging a good 10 or so tapestries around the place, and sang throughout the game....showed me a whole 'nother level of fan.

Didi Hamman...Smicer...and freakin Stevie. Xabi Alonso was a new signing as well....who put his finger on the game. Then Jerzy Dudek
did his rope-a-dope save there at the end....just epic. One of the greatest games ever. Alot like the Barca series last CL...but crushed into 1 game.

But that aside...it's been 20 years, and no PL title. Until we lift a couple of those...I consider this team an underachiever on my watch.

Yeah, I've been watching for the last 7 or so years, thanks in-part to NBC's coverage here in the States. Before, it was kinda hard to watch on a weekly basis. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#1396 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:41 am

danfantastk32 wrote:

Liverpool fans are the soccer version of # firstworld problems
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#1397 » by Baphomet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:47 pm

freethedevil wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

I think the same can be said of fans of any of the top European clubs. Real Madrid fans for example are the epitome of what you describe.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#1398 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Baphomet wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

I think the same can be said of fans of any of the top European clubs. Real Madrid fans for example are the epitome of what you describe.

#tofeelivesmatter
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1399 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:15 pm

Mané’s form has been excellent this season.

The dribbling, setup pass to Firmino, and the pass back for the goal was world-class all around.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1400 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:52 am

NyCeEvO wrote:Mané’s form has been excellent this season.

The dribbling, setup pass to Firmino, and the pass back for the goal was world-class all around.

Agree. He was a great signing. Very willing to make the unselfish play.

Return to The General Soccer Board