Official Euro 2008 General Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,737

Re: Official Euro 2008 General Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by El Turco » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:19 am

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament ... rt=rw.html

After Croatia scored, I saw players lying on the pitch and I told Arda to get the ball out of the goal and start again. I wasn't giving up. We could have lost but there were things we could do about it. I always say there is much more we can do as a country of 70 million people and there is more success we can achieve. We seem to come back from the dead. We always do the hard thing, not the easy thing, which shows how good my team are. When you have footballers like this, you just don't lose.

This is the key to our success.

I ve considered Terim as a mediocre and little too arrogant of a coach due to his player selections and formations even though he is without a question the most successful coach in Turkish football history. I still dont believe he is an elite tactian or a football mind by any means but he is as great a motivator in any sport and i have a great respect for him in that regard.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,623

Post#22 » by Slava » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:04 am

Like I've been saying in all the threads till now, I've been watching soccer since 1996 as a 11 year old and till now, this has to be the best international tournament ever.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,763

Post#23 » by Basti » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:51 am

damn I just turned into the game seconds after Turkey made the equalizer. I was sitting in my room browsing through RGM when I thought "umm well I haven't heard anything yet of someone scoring a goal" and it was really late in OT. so I decided to get up to walk into the room of my roommate. just in this very moment he comes into my room telling me what happened.... DAMN... once again, I missed an unbelieveable finish. that sucks.

but I'm really happy to see a semifinal of Turkey vs Germany. Berlin will be hell (in a positive way) regardless of which team will be winner. and even if Germany will lose I'll be fine because I really like the Turkish NT. and watching a final with Turkish participation would be nice here in Berlin.

@ Sleepy: I read it in the other thread, I guess the most parts of Berlin were hell but since I watched it here in my flat and my flat is one of the parts with the least number of immigrants in Berlin it was really quiet. 2 friends of mine live in the middle of one of those parts with a high number of Turkish immigrants/descendants and I guess it was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE party over there. if Turkey advances to the Finals I probably will go there.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#24 » by BlackMamba » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:12 pm

so far the 3 favorites have been eliminated...
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,503

Post#25 » by SA37 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Croatia deserved to go through. Credit to Turkey, though. Modric is absolutely class.

Russia totally outplayed the Netherlands. I definitely would have brought Robben on if I were Van Basten. The Dutch had no creativity outside of Sneijder. Arshavin was an absolute hero for Russia. And, man, does Kolodin have an absolute canon! 30-40 meters out and he still was either on target or less than a meter off.
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#26 » by m23uza1hem36 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:01 am

Go Germany, they have yet to play like the team they are.
Follow @mouzaihem
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#27 » by RapsVC15 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm

Dutch choke again, but they got a nice young attacking core.

Huntelaar/Van Persie/Schnieder/Robben will all be in their primes going into the World Cup in a couple years.
Andris
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Andris » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:38 pm

greetings from Europe...
I was at the Croatia-Turkey game last Friday in Vienna.. It was amazing....
GSW fan since the Joe Barry Carroll years...
Andris
Rookie

Post#29 » by Andris » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:41 pm

the Italy-Spain game was a disaster....
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#30 » by BlackMamba » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 am

wow, that's cool, i bet the environment in that game was pretty tense towards the end and being a fan in the crowd would have been a real delight.
Andris
Rookie

Post#31 » by Andris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 pm

I was hugging Turkish fans at the end, and I'm not even Turkish...
The atmosphere was amazing and tense.
I still can't believe what happened....
The Croatian players were celebrating after their goal like the game was over at that moment....
The Turkish goal was scored right in front of me a few seconds later...
By the way I'll be at the Russia - Spain game on Thursday in Vienna.
I understand the Turkish team is really beat up, they have yellow card suspensions and injured players. According to the Turkish coach their 3rd string goalie could play forward against the Germans...
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,300

Post#32 » by magik9113 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:59 pm

http://www.goal.com/en-US/Articolo.aspx ... oId=751255

Bilic Confused With A Murderer
The Italian newspaper 24 Minuti mistakenly used the picture of Croatia coach Slaven Bilic to illustrate the news of a Macedonian murderer.

:lol: oops!
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#33 » by a-rod » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Yeah, Turkey have worked very hard to get there, and I am very proud of them, I have nothing but respect for this turkish team, because they faced so many adversity, but somehow they still managed to stay competitive......
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Basti » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm

a-rod wrote:Yeah, Turkey have worked very hard to get there, and I am very proud of them, I have nothing but respect for this turkish team, because they faced so many adversity, but somehow they still managed to stay competitive......

oh yeah. they certainly deserve tons of respect! if I weren't a german I certainly would have rooted for turkey to make it to the finals
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#35 » by Point forward » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 pm

I don't even want to KNOW what Turkey could have done vs us if they had Volkan and Nihat. Rustus control of the box was dreadful as ever, and Nihat would have shredded our so-called "defense".
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
El Turco

Post#36 » by El Turco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 am

If we can qualify for the WC, we ll be very dangerous in it. Our core is very young and this years squad did not even include our wonderkid Nuri Sahin. Problem is we tend to relax against bad teams and give away points to teams like Bosnia, Malta and Moldova thus great possibility to miss the tournament.

That being said, i think we missed an once in a lifetime opportunity to make history today :(
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Basti » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:07 am

ElTurco wrote:If we can qualify for the WC, we ll be very dangerous in it. Our core is very young and this years squad did not even include our wonderkid Nuri Sahin. Problem is we tend to relax against bad teams and give away points to teams like Bosnia, Malta and Moldova thus great possibility to miss the tournament.

That being said, i think we missed an once in a lifetime opportunity to make history today :(

where is he currently playing at? I lost track of his career
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#38 » by Point forward » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 pm

Seriously, I think Germany has a lot of untapped potential with our Turkish-German community. It makes me sick to the stomach to see how many promising Turkish-German players have chosen Turkey.

Hamit Altintop from Bochum
Halil Altintop from Bochum
Yildiray Basturk from Bochum
Ilhan Mansiz from Kempten-im-Allgäu (LOL, deepest Bavaria)
Tayfun Korkut from Stuttgart
Nuri Sahin from Dortmund
Serhat Akin from Karlsruhe
Hakan Balta from Berlin

The only "Deukisch" we got were Mustafa Dogan and Malik Fathi, but both are just average. The DFB must def try to integrate the future Hakan Sukurs better into their system.
El Turco

Post#39 » by El Turco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:where is he currently playing at? I lost track of his career

He spent last year in Feyenoord but i think he is still owned by Dortmund. Had a disappointing year but he is still 19.
El Turco

Post#40 » by El Turco » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Point forward wrote:Seriously, I think Germany has a lot of untapped potential with our Turkish-German community. It makes me sick to the stomach to see how many promising Turkish-German players have chosen Turkey.

Hamit Altintop from Bochum
Halil Altintop from Bochum
Yildiray Basturk from Bochum
Ilhan Mansiz from Kempten-im-Allgäu (LOL, deepest Bavaria)
Tayfun Korkut from Stuttgart
Nuri Sahin from Dortmund
Serhat Akin from Karlsruhe
Hakan Balta from Berlin

The only "Deukisch" we got were Mustafa Dogan and Malik Fathi, but both are just average. The DFB must def try to integrate the future Hakan Sukurs better into their system.

I think one of the German officials said reason for this, German government forces Turkish immigrants to choose one citizenship when they are 18-22 years old which pretty much eliminates any chance of them playing for Germany since they almost always choose Turkish citizenship.

But even that wasnt true, Germany would have hard time getting Turkish players due to enourmous national pride held by immigrant families.

Return to The General Soccer Board