Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

BDR263
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Transfer Thread: 2023 -> 2024 

Post#221 » by BDR263 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:34 am

Baphomet wrote:
BDR263 wrote:Xavi Simons back to PSG from PSV. He was one of the best players in the league last year. Hope he'll get playing time wherever he ends up for the sake of Dutch football. We're in dire need of quality attacking players.

Looks like a tremendous talent. PSG seem to be pivoting away from being the French galacticos and are acquiring a nice arsenal of young players, so maybe they're going in a different direction and will give more time to their youngsters.

Aaaand he's on the way to Leipzig apparently.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,976

Post#222 » by stormi » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:45 am

Might just be the hater in me, but does anyone else see an imbalance in this midfield 3?

Read on Twitter

It's a downgrade to me in terms of synergy from Partey/Ødegaard/Xhaka. None of the new midfielders are good in the first phase, Rice especially has a tendency to hide from the ball and one of his weak points is collecting the ball from his keeper with his back turned to the press and being able to turn and play out. Partey was very good at that. He also loves to stampede with the ball at his feet 60 yards up the pitch and without a natural DM to cover for him I could see them getting shredded on counter attacks.

I also don't understand how Havertz is going to work on or off the ball alongside Ø who's the main creator, unless he's going to be used like Gundo making late runs into the box.

Still a good squad, but they take that next leap if they go all out for a major upgrade on Partey (as a #6) i.e. a Kimmich, or on Jesus at #9 i.e. Kane.

Should still be finishing anywhere from 2-5.

No trophies and we're going to start having a serious question about Arteta.
stormi
General Manager

Post#223 » by stormi » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:50 am

Read on Twitter

Will be at a top CL side in 2 seasons or less. Kerkez is phenomenal. B'mouth is going to be the new Brighton the way they're recruiting.

Read on Twitter
stormi
General Manager

Post#224 » by stormi » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:51 am

Lastly, Emery's Villa are a genuine threat. Another side with ridiculous recruitment and ambition.

Read on Twitter

Spots for Europe in '23/'24 are going to be a bloodbath.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#225 » by HIF » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:35 am

Baphomet wrote:
BDR263 wrote:Xavi Simons back to PSG from PSV. He was one of the best players in the league last year. Hope he'll get playing time wherever he ends up for the sake of Dutch football. We're in dire need of quality attacking players.

Looks like a tremendous talent. PSG seem to be pivoting away from being the French galacticos and are acquiring a nice arsenal of young players, so maybe they're going in a different direction and will give more time to their youngsters.

Not sure they will. They have to win the french ligue and a cup every year and if they don't make the CL/Final it's seen as a failed season.

More likely they're trying to do what the big clubs in europe have been doing for years, stockpiling the young talent so that no-one else can get it , just on case they become top players. I think it's counterproductive and the kids are stupid to fall for it.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,724

Post#226 » by Baphomet » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:17 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Not sure they will. They have to win the french ligue and a cup every year and if they don't make the CL/Final it's seen as a failed season.

More likely they're trying to do what the big clubs in europe have been doing for years, stockpiling the young talent so that no-one else can get it , just on case they become top players. I think it's counterproductive and the kids are stupid to fall for it.

I have my doubts too, and you're probably right.
HIF
RealGM

Post#227 » by HIF » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:05 pm

We've got the Goalkeeper we need for the Maresca System:

Read on Twitter

It's an exciting purchase, hopefully we can offload both Ward and Iversen now.

mas1977
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#228 » by mas1977 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:38 pm

Leipzig will be a great team for Simons. He has the skills, but he has to stop being a crybaby. He is important for Dutch soccer tho so I hope he succeeds. We desperately need creativity.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 383

Post#229 » by msmoore66 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:35 pm

stormi wrote:Might just be the hater in me, but does anyone else see an imbalance in this midfield 3?

Read on Twitter

It's a downgrade to me in terms of synergy from Partey/Ødegaard/Xhaka. None of the new midfielders are good in the first phase, Rice especially has a tendency to hide from the ball and one of his weak points is collecting the ball from his keeper with his back turned to the press and being able to turn and play out. Partey was very good at that. He also loves to stampede with the ball at his feet 60 yards up the pitch and without a natural DM to cover for him I could see them getting shredded on counter attacks.

I also don't understand how Havertz is going to work on or off the ball alongside Ø who's the main creator, unless he's going to be used like Gundo making late runs into the box.

Still a good squad, but they take that next leap if they go all out for a major upgrade on Partey (as a #6) i.e. a Kimmich, or on Jesus at #9 i.e. Kane.

Should still be finishing anywhere from 2-5.

No trophies and we're going to start having a serious question about Arteta.

From an Arsenal fan POV, I too have some concerns. But I can also see what Arteta's vision is.

As you wondered, the idea would be to make the most of Havertz's late runs, something he was fantastic at at Bayer. This was essentially what Xhaka was doing in the LCM role, so you upgrade of the offensive side of the LCM. Yes a downgrade defensively, but Havertz is a good presser - does that mean he is leading the press and Ødegaard is dropping back into the holding pair with Rice? Dunno.

It's an interesting point Re; Rice vs Partey in terms of playing out. Rice is pretty good at driving runs out of Defence or Midfield, but I do agree Partey at this stage is stronger turning and playing it out, and probably more press resistant. As it stands, a Rice/Partey double pivot is still an option that can be used. Jorginho performed really well when Partey's form fell off a cliff at the end of the season as well.

I also think the move to more of a offensively focused MF 3 has been linked with both the development of some of the defenders (Kiwior) and acquisition of Timber where, like Man City, they invert, but unlike Zinchenko, Kiwior or Timber are a bit more defensively solid but also able to help with the ball progression out from the back. (Not saying Zinchenko falls out, but different options for different needs).

I'd love a #9 upgrade, but don't see it happening. RW cover would be the next attacking piece if any.

No trophies would be a disappointment for sure. But context will, as always be key. Not sure how we will be getting to serious questions about Arteta though when it's quite clear what he has done with the club so far has been very impressive and a lack of a trophy this season doesn't take that away. £200m is a big outlay though!
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,506

Post#230 » by Foye » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:48 am

West Ham signing Carlos Borges from City. Should be a great deal for West Ham.
HIF
RealGM

Post#231 » by HIF » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:46 pm

Foye wrote:West Ham signing Carlos Borges from City. Should be a great deal for West Ham.

Yes, I was hoping we could use the Maresca contact to get him on loan at least.

stormi
General Manager

Post#232 » by stormi » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Pau / Tea Lemons / Diaby window is some serious reinforcing.
HIF
RealGM

Post#233 » by HIF » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:22 am

Twinkie defense wrote:I saw that PSG's president says Mbappé MUST sign a new contract if he wants to stay at the club. Mbappé had previously said he would be leaving PSG next year. Of course, PSG is worried about losing him without compensation. IDK the rules, how MUST Mbappé sign a new contract with PSG? Why can't he just let his current contract expire and then sign wherever he wants? What happens if he doesn't sign a new contract - does PSG make him sit out the season? Do they transfer him somewhere for one season where he won't resign, in order to get some kind of compensation?

IDK, seems kinda slaveholder-ish of PSG. If Mbappé plays out his contract why does PSG continue to have some kind of hold on him as a player?

I see that PSG have offered M'Bappé a contract worth 1 BILLION! Someone make me a slave.

LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#234 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:04 pm

Read on Twitter

This is a good signing, Leicester are doing good business. I’d expect them to bounce back quite quickly
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#235 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:07 pm

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pau / Tea Lemons / Diaby window is some serious reinforcing.

I’m shocked we managed to pull off these three moves tbh. I’m so excited for the new season, I hope we can get Doku as we could still do with another winger.

We still need to sell a few players though
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,109

Post#236 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:08 pm

HIF wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:I saw that PSG's president says Mbappé MUST sign a new contract if he wants to stay at the club. Mbappé had previously said he would be leaving PSG next year. Of course, PSG is worried about losing him without compensation. IDK the rules, how MUST Mbappé sign a new contract with PSG? Why can't he just let his current contract expire and then sign wherever he wants? What happens if he doesn't sign a new contract - does PSG make him sit out the season? Do they transfer him somewhere for one season where he won't resign, in order to get some kind of compensation?

IDK, seems kinda slaveholder-ish of PSG. If Mbappé plays out his contract why does PSG continue to have some kind of hold on him as a player?

I see that PSG have offered M'Bappé a contract worth 1 BILLION! Someone make me a slave.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a face-saving gesture.
HIF
RealGM

Post#237 » by HIF » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:17 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
HIF wrote:

1 billion - a face saving gesture. :banghead:

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,204

Post#238 » by -Luke- » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:35 am

Baphomet wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Pretty extraordinary thing to say about another club's player still under contract. I get that nobody really cares about tapping up in football anymore, but it seems like a pretty irresponsible thing for a club's mouthpiece to say.

I don't follow the Bundesliga extremely closely, but everything I hear from board members and others close to the club reeks of arrogance. I suppose 11 titles in a row might have that effect.

Yeah, it seems like you're right. My understanding is that they're used to strong-arming other teams in the Bundesliga, and aren't accustomed to not getting their own way in the transfer market. Definitely one of the biggest clubs in the history of the sport, but these comments by Hoeness are perplexing. He later references Kane's agent Charlie Kane, his brother, and anyone who remembers the Man City saga with Kane a couple of years ago will know that guy's not serious. Probably overplayed his hand again.

Maybe one of the German posters on here could clarify whether or not there's something lost in translation.

Perhaps we can get Kimmich in a swap deal, as a show of good faith. :lol:

It's Uli Hoeneß. He sees a microphone, he has to talk into it. He can't help himself. Not long ago, he got upset because Xavi was saying something publicly about Kimmich. His double standards are legendary.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,506

Post#239 » by Foye » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:54 am

-Luke- wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:I don't follow the Bundesliga extremely closely, but everything I hear from board members and others close to the club reeks of arrogance. I suppose 11 titles in a row might have that effect.

Yeah, it seems like you're right. My understanding is that they're used to strong-arming other teams in the Bundesliga, and aren't accustomed to not getting their own way in the transfer market. Definitely one of the biggest clubs in the history of the sport, but these comments by Hoeness are perplexing. He later references Kane's agent Charlie Kane, his brother, and anyone who remembers the Man City saga with Kane a couple of years ago will know that guy's not serious. Probably overplayed his hand again.

Maybe one of the German posters on here could clarify whether or not there's something lost in translation.

Perhaps we can get Kimmich in a swap deal, as a show of good faith. :lol:

It's Uli Hoeneß. He sees a microphone, he has to talk into it. He can't help himself. Not long ago, he got upset because Xavi was saying something publicly about Kimmich. His double standards are legendary.

One thing is for sure, though.
Juan Bernat ist to blame!
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,109

Post#240 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:10 pm

HIF wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
HIF wrote:

1 billion - a face saving gesture. :banghead:

You just take PSG's word that that's a real offer made in good faith, lol. A sucker is born every minute.

Return to The General Soccer Board