FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Bengaluru Bulls
Freshman
And1: 173

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage 

Post#2241 » by Bengaluru Bulls » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:25 pm

Kosovar Albanian player scored the goal that probably ends any hope of Serbia advancing, I bet people are not happy in Belgrade right now.
Mamba81p
Sixth Man
And1: 1,361

Post#2242 » by Mamba81p » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:26 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:This is the best Word Cup ever

nah, wait for the knockout rounds. 1998 takes the cake for me.

I mean everyone got their own opinions, I respect that but honestly I never imagined this WC would be so good for few reasons

1 different time of the year than all previous World Cups

2 one of the major contenders Italy didn’t qualify

3 is in Qatar , so one would’ve thought they got zero experience hosting tournament of this magnitude ( so far they doing amazing job )

I sense some bias here

1. The vast majority of fans hate that, and the players. We don't have Benzema and Mane in the tournament because of this, so I am not sure how that makes it better

2. That happens fairly often.

3. It's an absolute nightmare. Did you try to go there, and find accommodation? An absolute disaster from that point of view.

The quality of the games is not that great. Sure, we had some drama, but usually the biggest drama comes in the knockout rounds.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,366

Post#2243 » by ejftw » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:27 pm

Mitroviccccccccccccccc
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,885

Post#2244 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:27 pm

hermes wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
hermes wrote:boy this is nervy

Is this the first Cup you've watched before Herm?

no, i've watched bits and pieces of the last couple. i'm a typical dumb american when it comes to soccer but i'm learning more and liking the game the more i watch. and i watch more with every major tournament. used to be just a world cup person but i tuned in to the latest round of the euros and whatever alphabet soup the north american one is called

I would recommend watching the Champions League whenever you get a chance, too.

Highest standard of the sport and often some of the most compelling drama.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,936

Post#2245 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:28 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:On top of logistics

3 team groups will be a nightmare, it will suck out all fun from tournament for many fans and yes it will have huge influence on what’s happen on the field ( staged games #2) you know some teams will fix even games #1 as 2 of 3 will qualify

It’s nothing more than a huge money grab by FIFA and hosting nations

You’ll find out , you have to wait 4 years though for something that many knows already

so who is going to win it all in 2026? just so i know
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#2246 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Nunez... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,621

Post#2247 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:31 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:im being silly n beating a dead horse, this just allows me to vent, sorry!
Read on Twitter

Look at a foul Poland game vs Saudi Arabia , it was a penalty, identical foul
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 32,616

Post#2248 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:33 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:im being silly n beating a dead horse, this just allows me to vent, sorry!
Read on Twitter

Ronaldo's penalty was similar too I think. I think that's ****, I hate the offensive player jumping in front of a guy then collapsing to try and draw the penalty, but if they're going to call it, should be consistent.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,847

Post#2249 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:34 pm

hermes wrote:no, i've watched bits and pieces of the last couple. i'm a typical dumb american when it comes to soccer but i'm learning more and liking the game the more i watch. and i watch more with every major tournament. used to be just a world cup person but i tuned in to the latest round of the euros and whatever alphabet soup the north american one is called

Herm, the sport isn't overly complicated. There aren't a million rules like in American Football. The idea is to kick the ball into the opposing teams goal. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mamba81p
Sixth Man
And1: 1,361

Post#2250 » by Mamba81p » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:35 pm

Baphomet wrote:
hermes wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Is this the first Cup you've watched before Herm?

no, i've watched bits and pieces of the last couple. i'm a typical dumb american when it comes to soccer but i'm learning more and liking the game the more i watch. and i watch more with every major tournament. used to be just a world cup person but i tuned in to the latest round of the euros and whatever alphabet soup the north american one is called

Yeah, the quality at club level is much much higher than in international tournaments. Ever since Bosman rule that difference is growing larger and larger.
I guess it's harder for casual international fans to watch Man City vs PSG since they don't really know those clubs, while Brazil vs France sounds more familiar?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,366

Post#2251 » by ejftw » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:36 pm

Let's gooooooooooooo
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#2252 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:37 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:nah, wait for the knockout rounds. 1998 takes the cake for me.

I mean everyone got their own opinions, I respect that but honestly I never imagined this WC would be so good for few reasons

1 different time of the year than all previous World Cups

2 one of the major contenders Italy didn’t qualify

3 is in Qatar , so one would’ve thought they got zero experience hosting tournament of this magnitude ( so far they doing amazing job )

I sense some bias here

1. The vast majority of fans hate that, and the players. We don't have Benzema and Mane in the tournament because of this, so I am not sure how that makes it better

2. That happens fairly often.

3. It's an absolute nightmare. Did you try to go there, and find accommodation? An absolute disaster from that point of view.

The quality of the games is not that great. Sure, we had some drama, but usually the biggest drama comes in the knockout rounds.

There is no bias at all

1 I clearly said that time was weird so I’m surprised it’s going so well

2 I’m not Italian or Qatar resident

3 European media portray this totally different, expensive? Yes , problem finding it ? Hell no
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,096

Post#2253 » by M3tro » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:37 pm

Kitchener roaring!!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,847

Post#2254 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:38 pm

Baphomet wrote:
hermes wrote:no, i've watched bits and pieces of the last couple. i'm a typical dumb american when it comes to soccer but i'm learning more and liking the game the more i watch. and i watch more with every major tournament. used to be just a world cup person but i tuned in to the latest round of the euros and whatever alphabet soup the north american one is called

Tip: Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of watching MLS in your free time. It will kill your enthusiasm for the sport. Stick to the bigger competitions (World Cup, Champions League, European leagues). This is key.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#2255 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:40 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ronaldo's penalty was similar too I think. I think that's ****, I hate the offensive player jumping in front of a guy then collapsing to try and draw the penalty, but if they're going to call it, should be consistent.

All of them 3 penalties from different games , all was soft but you’re right , should be consistent
hermes
RealGM

Post#2256 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:40 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Herm, the sport isn't overly complicated. There aren't a million rules like in American Football. The idea is to kick the ball into the opposing teams goal. :wink:

like with most things in life, its the nuance i'm lacking
hermes
RealGM

Post#2257 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:42 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Yeah, the quality at club level is much much higher than in international tournaments. Ever since Bosman rule that difference is growing larger and larger.
I guess it's harder for casual international fans to watch Man City vs PSG since they don't really know those clubs, while Brazil vs France sounds more familiar?

i think this is what is keeping me from going to the next level. club level seems really intimidating to just dive into. the country vs country stuff is easy for me
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant

Post#2258 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Tip: Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of watching MLS in your free time. It will kill your enthusiasm for the sport. Stick to the bigger competitions (World Cup, Champions League, European leagues). This is key.

Best advice ever about MLS
hermes
RealGM

Post#2259 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:44 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

i do have a local mls team but don't have any desire to follow them
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,096

Post#2260 » by M3tro » Fri Dec 2, 2022 7:46 pm

What a half

Return to The General Soccer Board