Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,915

Re: The Official Portuguese Primeira Liga Thread 

Post#81 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 pm

Arda K wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:The problem with Turkish football is that players only go there for the money. They go there to retire.

yeah you are talking out of yer ass. looking at the foreign players on big 3 teams..

muslera- signed age 25
sneijder - signed age 28
rodriguez- 21
denayer- 20
carole- 24
podolski-30
chedjou- 28
bruma-18
telles- 21

sosa-29
tosic-30
marcelo-28
quaresma-32
rhodolfo-29
gomez-30
beck-28

fernandao-28
markovic-21
diego-29
de souza-26
kjaer-26
meireles-29
ba-24
nani-28
kadlec-28
alves-30
emenike-24

by and large players signed at their prime age or when they are young, only player that was anywhere close to "retirement" is quaresma, and he was signed more or less to put butts on the seats since he is a fan favorite from previous stint. players like podolski and gomez are far cry from their overrated peaks but came off playing major roles in solid european teams.

problem is the management..owners meddling with the team on the field and impatient approach that makes continuity impossible to achieve. gala went head to head and was able to beat any team in europe whenever they had any kind of cohesion, evidenced by almost eliminating real if it wasnt for a botched penalty call few years ago.

I think you are really missing the point. Most of the players on that list were finished the moment they signed there. Maybe you should check the UEFA rankings. Podolski... just because he was bench warming at Arsenal, do you think that makes him a good player? His career at club level is bad, he was only good with Germany because he had a knack of scoring goals for them.

Do you really think the Nanis, the Meireles, etc... go to Turkey because they like the challenge of winning the Turkish title? They go there for the money. Their career goals are done at club level. Meireles was at Liverpool. Nani was at Manchester United. They are just collecting pay-checks until their retirement. That doesn't mean they will be bad professionals, but it just means that they will no longer have that hunger that they had when they were at Porto or Sporting... and dreamed about a move to one of the top leagues.

UEFA RANKINGS:
https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2016.html

Turkey is 11th. Behind Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Russia, Netherlands. Russia by the way is another league that suffers from the same issue, players go there, collect pay-checks and don't care. You can even click back to previous years and Turkey were never in the top 10. Turkish clubs have more money than the Dutch, than the Portuguese...

How do you explain that... since that player list you posted is so good, so many good players? (I am being sarcastic - I want no part of most of the players on that list)

Fenerbahce just got knocked out by Braga... who must have what? 5 times more money than Braga. They pay Van Persie 5 million euros or more a year. Braga's highest salary must be around 300 or 400.000 euros/year tops! Braga's biggest transfer in was under 1 million euros. Their overall budget for the season is around 17 million euros. I wonder if that is enough to cover Van Persie, Nani and Diego's salaries.

Besiktas were shockingly bad against Sporting in the knockout rounds of the Europa League... and Sporting wasn't even invested in that competition. Even minor clubs in Turkey can afford some salaries that no one outside the top clubs in Portugal/Netherlands can...

You buy young players, with talent and potential. You give them a chance, a platform to show their skills and they will be hungry to further develop their career and move on to the bigger clubs in Europe. The bigger leagues. Some countries, just spend way too much money on fading players, on "names", players that have already peaked and that will no longer be as hungry as someone who is starting their journey.

The only team that had success was Shakhtar, but even they didn't have as much success as you would expect considering the money they invested and the talent they had available. But unlike that list you posted, they went for talented young players.

This is the thing, if you give all the money that Turkish clubs have had available, to some of these other clubs who focus more on developing talent and they'd be much more successful than what the Turkish clubs have been.

This discussion is in a lot of ways pointless. You don't even have to read what I write. Just do this: research about the budgets of Turkish clubs. Then compare them against the budgets of clubs from other 'minor' leagues. And then you look at the country rankings at UEFA. And you will see that Turkish teams have been wasting money.

The last time Turkey was in the top 8 of the Uefa rankings was in 2002. 14(!) years ago... I hope you know what these rankings mean, these rankings are based on the results of Turkish clubs in Europe in the last 5 years.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/

Just by looking at this, go back through the years and see the countries that have achieved more, with far less money than the Turkish clubs and I am sure you can find "great" lists of players that played in Turkey all those years. And that's the thing. You're looking at names. Not their mental context of their careers and performances. While other leagues are brewing future stars, Turkey is often paying off fading ones. It's not only Turkey.

I was only making a point that it must be really difficult to coach in Turkey because teams are not disciplined and lack motivation.
60/21/10
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#82 » by El Turco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 am

wait a minute, when gala got to last 8 in cl and beat likes of juve and real few years ago they had mostly the same players sneijder, muslera etc so somehow these unmotivated mercenaries became a top notch team? i guess if they did have motivation you would be looking at cl champions. that same unmotivated sneijder then proceeded to lead dutch to third place in world cup, watch out when he gets motivated, dutch are world champions. going back further, when gala was wrecking havoc in europe early 00s they were led by hagi and popescu, who were even closer to retirement age than players listed and also came from best teams in europe yet somehow these unmotivated retirees turned gala into one of the best teams in the continent. so players are motivated one year, unmotivated next, then motivated again despite their contract numbers staying roughly the same? how does any of this make sense?

fenerbahce lost to braga as a result of scandalous refereeing but looking past that they were tactically in shambles before that, players were literally bumping into each other on the field despite covering more distance than braga players. smart money says vitor pereria ends up in real retirement league next year like qatar or uae. when fenerbahce did have any sort of roster continuity and even an average coach, they made it to last 8 in champions league and even semis of europa league few years ago. but continuity is next to impossible with a mafia boss president who turns over half the roster every year. besiktas does not even apply here, they've been essentially bankrupt for almost 5 years and lost their best player before the season.

all these players signed in their prime age and sometimes even performed better than they performed in their previous "big league" clubs when they played in a cohesive system. i rag on melo but his gala performance was probably better than any season he had in italy, sneijder had his best years in turkey outside of his mourinho years, hagi undoubtedly had his best years in turkey as well etc. according to your little theory these players should've just mailed it in and collected checks yet they were successful both personally and as a team. at the end all players play for money, and 90 percent of them play for teams they dont support but most of them are professionals that go about doing their jobs. they can only do so much though if the team around them is not put in place correctly.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#83 » by Foye » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 am

Didn't read but a single UCL quarter finals appearance hardly qualifies Gala as a top notch team. Neither does a win against Real that went into the away game with a 3 goal lead. Real was choking that game knowing they had a three goal lead and basically are guaranteed to get an away goal from individual class.

It was a good performance by Gala. Nothing more, nothing less.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#84 » by El Turco » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:25 am

yeah sure choking, they didnt want to play etc. that tie was horrible blown call on yilmaz penalty away from going to extra time, they sure made sure to play their starters..
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#85 » by DD12 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:14 pm

What are you trying to explain to the people that don't even watch their favorite team's matches on TV leave it alone to go to the stadium? When it comes to talk about matches, they write endless paragraphs and one might think that they actually watch the matches etc but in reality they don't.

They don't even know how fenerbahce got destroyed by referee while it was all over on newspapers, sports websites etc. Even Portuguese people admitted that on this forum. They don't even know what happened in that game yet they act like oh fenerbahce lost they suck.

Has any of their teams beat any significant team in Europe? Forget about beating them, their most significantly important match against Asteras and they got destroyed. So when you are talking about football to someone, you gotta choose someone who has at least same amount of knowledge as you have. Talking about football with foye and cgf is like talking to the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#86 » by Foye » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Of course I am aware Fener got robbed...but I simply dont care about it.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#87 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Fener got robbed in Braga but is not like they were the better team, Braga was better than Fener in Turkey...
Im comfortable talking about VP, never like him as a coach.

And i hope Besiktas win it all in Turkey, Quaresma ;)
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,915

Post#88 » by Dirk » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Fener got robbed in Braga but is not like they were the better team, Braga was better than Fener in Turkey...
Im comfortable talking about VP, never like him as a coach.

And i hope Besiktas win it all in Turkey, Quaresma ;)

Get ready because Vitor Pereira will inevitably return to Porto at some point.

Quaresma is way past his best... I was glad to see him gone... but then they briought Varela back. :lol:
60/21/10
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by DD12 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Vitor is a horrible coach.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#90 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 am

31/34 games

Académica 1-2 Porto
Sporting 2-0 U.Madeira
Rio Ave 0-1 Benfica
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Re: The Official Portugueswhat a e Primeira Liga Thread 

Post#91 » by Lord Eder » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 pm

What a beautiful set up from Joao Mario
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#92 » by Lord Eder » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Sporting downs Porto 3-1 in the last big game of the season... 2 games left on the season and Sporting and Benfica still slugging it out

Benfica - 82 pts
Sporting - 80 pts
Porto - 67 pts (what a disappointment)

This has gotta be one of the most exciting finishes in recent memory
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by DD12 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Lmaoooo porto.

DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by DD12 » Thu May 5, 2016 5:18 pm

mercgold3 wrote:31/34 games

Académica 1-2 Porto
Sporting 2-0 U.Madeira
Rio Ave 0-1 Benfica

Jackson Martinez aka he will score a lot of goals at Atletico Madrid, couldn't even make Colombia squad.

What a bust he was. And I told you this so many times.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#95 » by Merc_Porto » Thu May 5, 2016 5:36 pm

DD12 wrote:Jackson Martinez aka he will score a lot of goals at Atletico Madrid, couldn't even make Colombia squad.

Jackson is no bust, like Oliver is no bust... But Atletico of Simeone plays in a way that many players do not fit in that style.
My opinion.

And yes, Lmaoooo porto. Like, Lmaoooo Galatasaray.
We are in the same page this year.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by DD12 » Thu May 5, 2016 5:49 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
El Turco wrote:took him 4 seasons in italy to score 16, so come 2020 jackson will get there

Jackson is also 100x better than him. And he is a striker.
Menez is more a winger.

mercgold3 wrote:If Menez can score 16 goals in 33 games, Believe me, Jackson can score + 20 goals.

mercgold3 wrote:
DD12 wrote:whoever pays 35 mil for a player who has been playing in Portuguese league and 29 years old simply idiot. none of those teams that you mentioned would pay that much. that's why he went to idiot milan.

He went to Milan because of Doyen (investment company).
And what is wrong with Portuguese League ?

Some of the best players in world played here.

The time will tell how that was a fantastic investment by Milan.

wait a little more hopefully he will score 20 in china.
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by DD12 » Thu May 5, 2016 5:51 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
DD12 wrote:Jackson Martinez aka he will score a lot of goals at Atletico Madrid, couldn't even make Colombia squad.

Jackson is no bust, like Oliver is no bust... But Atletico of Simeone plays in a way that many players do not fit in that style.
My opinion.

And yes, Lmaoooo porto. Like, Lmaoooo Galatasaray.
We are in the same page this year.

Like Danilo, like Mangala, like Otamendi, Jackson sucks.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#98 » by Merc_Porto » Thu May 5, 2016 5:56 pm

Well, he went to Atletico, not Milan.
Again, not every player can succeed in Atletico of Simeone.

Porto paid 11 MIllion for Adrian Lopez of Atletico and he was a tottaly bust over here.
And yet, he was pretty good for Atletico when he was there.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#99 » by Merc_Porto » Thu May 5, 2016 6:06 pm

DD12 wrote:Like Danilo, like Mangala, like Otamendi, Jackson sucks.

lol Otamendi is a top-5 center back in the world right now.
Mangala is still young and has the potencial, Danilo, lets wait when he goes to Juve to play with his buddy Alex Sandro.

There is more, Falcão, James, Pepe etc etc etc
DD12
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by DD12 » Thu May 5, 2016 6:20 pm

Otamendi top 5????

Just ask any epl follower on this forum. He is a horrible player.

Return to The General Soccer Board