The Official Portuguese Primeira Liga Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: The Official Portuguese Primeira Liga Thread 

Post#61 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Happy for Braga, but damn, they had some help today by the refs.
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach
And1: 176

Post#62 » by fraanciiscoo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 pm

DD12 wrote:
fraanciiscoo wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:...
So, again, don't lie.

Btw i ride a bike everyday in foz.

You dont understad one thing:

what you call a lie is in fact a opinion. Who´s the best player in the world? Ronaldo ? Messi ? Ibra? And if I think the BPITW is Renato sanches ? I´m I lying? No i m giving my opinion. I might be a hommer, I might be crazy but its in fact my opinion.

Or

you might not have the vocabulary and dont know how to express yourself - and that is not a problem imo since english is not you 1st language.

I hope we clear that by now.

Btw I dont live @ foz anymore my mom, uncles, etc live there since we have a couple real estate @foz. But if you are Fcp fan and if you live there we probably have a few people that we know. To narrow if you like poker I will bet that you know me for sure :lol:

Are you famous there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

small country
small city
everyone knows everyone

But since I went to school here, university here, support not my city club ( fcporto ) but Benfica ( from lisbon ), had a couple night life clubs went i was younger and I m the only portuguese that won a world series of poker bracelet I know a few people and they know me well :lol:
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach

Post#63 » by fraanciiscoo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:09 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Happy for Braga, but damn, they had some help today by the refs.

I add the +1 for the Happy for Braga
I belive the penalty was a bad decision BUT Braga had other that should be awarded and was not
Total meltdown from Fenerbaçhe
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: The Official Portuguese Primeira Liga Thread 

Post#64 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:18 pm

fraanciiscoo wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Happy for Braga, but damn, they had some help today by the refs.

I belive the penalty was a bad decision BUT Braga had other that should be awarded and was not

The first goal of Braga was offside as well. Yeah, but Fenerbahçe is the perfect example of a team coached by VP. Enough for domestic competitions, a disaster in europe.
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach

Post#65 » by fraanciiscoo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:23 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
fraanciiscoo wrote:

The first goal of Braga was offside as well. Yeah, but Fenerbahçe is the perfect example of a team coached by VP. Enough for domestic competitions, a disaster in europe.

I agree - But in this case I dont think money cant make a team to much Egomanic to manage
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#66 » by El Turco » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm

probably the last year portuguese manager steps foot in turkey
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#67 » by Lord Eder » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:49 pm

30 min in, Booavista giving Benfica a good run
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Lord Eder
General Manager

Post#68 » by Lord Eder » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Wow. Jonas scores in extra time to keep Benfica at the top of the table. Can't believe it
- Chuck Swirsky
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach

Post#69 » by fraanciiscoo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/YuranPt/status/712042657007198208[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/YuranPt/status/712056808047812608[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/YuranPt/status/712043336933220352[/tweet]
fraanciiscoo
Head Coach

Post#70 » by fraanciiscoo » Tue Apr 5, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey mercgold3 are you alive and well ??? :roll: :lol:

FYI
FCP 0 Tondela ( last in the league ) 1
Belenenses 2 SCP 5
Benfica 5 Braga 1

Top in the league
Benfica 70
Scp 68
Fcp 61
Braga 50
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#71 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Apr 5, 2016 2:40 pm

Very well, thanks.
And thank you for the update in this thread.
Lord Eder
General Manager

Post#72 » by Lord Eder » Sat Apr 9, 2016 7:16 pm

Benfica needs to change their logo to a horse shoe after this season. Can't believe it again.
- Chuck Swirsky
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#73 » by DD12 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:25 am

mercgold3 wrote:Very well, thanks.

porto is going to relegation zone soon. you want Vitor? He is a horrible coach about to get kicked out of Fenerbahce.
Merc_Porto
General Manager

Post#74 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 am

DD12 wrote:

porto is going to relegation zone soon. you want Vitor? He is a horrible coach about to get kicked out of Fenerbahce.

Gala fan making jokes about Porto ? LOL
The 3rd place is still a Champions league spot, are you even going to Europa league next season ?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#75 » by Foye » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 am

No merc, they are banned from Europe. looool
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Post#76 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:19 pm

stro wrote:Benfica needs to change their logo to a horse shoe after this season. Can't believe it again.

I am rooting for Sporting to win the league. Seems unlikely though. Benfica have a lot of momentum and always have a push.

The other game against Braga, dominated for 25 minutes, have a gifted goal and then a ridiculous penalty awarded. I do not forget the game in Guimarães where there were 3 penalty claims for Guimarães... not even one was given.

It's a really bad wasted opportunity for Sporting though, they had a good lead over Benfica. Lost it... but still had it all in their own hands at home... Ruiz which the shocking misses.This Benfica side is very very average. They've done extremely well with what they've got, but unlike previous seasons, they don't have that much more overall talent over Sporting.

I give a lot of credit to Rui Vitória though. He was hated and mocked by everyone, starting with Benfica fans and has done well to overcome that. Sporting failed and Porto have been a joke. So, there's a lot more than just having a "helping hand" here and there to their success, they've been more stable than the rivals.

DD12 wrote:

The problem with Turkish football is that players only go there for the money. They go there to retire. They don't go there because they want to. That creates problems for the coaches. The players just don't have that much ambition left. So how do they motivate them when they're only there to collect the paycheck?

This is the main reason why Turkish teams do nothing in Europe. You have good crowds, money... big name players... and then the results are bad, because on top of the foreign mercenaries, Turkish players aren't disciplined at all. Tactically, Turkish teams are always a mess. You add that to a team lacking unity and motivation...and you will always underwhelm.

So with all that said, back to your statement, "Vitor is a horrible coach", well... it's very difficult to not look like a bad coach in Turkey. I cannot remember a coach who went to Turkey to enhance his career. I wonder if Besiktas fans wanted him gone? He's now doing very well in England.
60/21/10
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

The Official Portuguese Primeira Liga Thread 

Post#77 » by DD12 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 pm

This statement certainly true early 2000s but it is not really valid argument today's Turkish football. It is all about a good structure if you want to be successful in Europe. Galatasaray had been successful between 2010-2013 because we had the right coach for most of it, really good players such as Sneijder, Drogba, Eboue, Melo, Inan, Muslera etc. we played beautiful football all over and made it to the quarter finals and top 16 in CL. So it is all about the structure. Good board members, good coach and good transfers.

Watch out for Besiktas. They just built a stadium, have a really good coach and bunch of great young players mixing up with senior players(seniors meaning 28-31). They play beautiful football and I am sure with the stadium opening today, they will make some noise in europe.

Lucescu enhanced his career. Mancini did that. Not saying is a good coach but he is managing Inter now. Del Bosque was besiktas' coach now Spain. So don't think that its all on players. Some coaches really suck and you don't know that until you see them coaching your team. Rijkaard was a winner with Barca but then he came to Gala and we saw all his defects. Last i saw, he got sacked by Saudi Arabia. Same arguments valid for some other coaches like Tigana who is nowhere to be found now. So you might think wtf del bosque, rijkaard, low etc. but i am just letting you know these coaches are horrible coaches. Yes if you give them barcelona, real madrid, germany national team, of course they will do well. But if you give them an okay team, they are beyond clueless.
Lord Eder
General Manager

Post#78 » by Lord Eder » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:40 pm

That's a great summary of the season up to this point Dirk. I don't really want to get into the whole "helping hand" discussion. We all know what goes on with Portuguese football. And I really wasn't implying that with my horse shoe comment. What I meant was just that, you touched on it yourself. Sporting vs Benfica, could very well be the deciding factor in the championship. And that game was all Sporting. I know, Benfica capitalized on their one chance and essentially parked the bus. But it nearly bit them in the ass. Jefferson hit the cross bar, and Bryan Ruiz did what he did, let's not go back there again. Then in Benfica's following games Jonas scores in the 94th(!!!) minute against Boavista. Raul Jiminez, a late sub comes in and scores in the final minutes as well against Academica. Benfica has made it out by the skin of their teeth the last few weeks and with the way that Sporting has been rolling over their opponents during the same stretch Benfica is IMO vey lucky to be still at the top of the table.

But I give credit where credit is do, a team that pulls out late goals to win is a team that never quits and that deserves recognition on both the players part and coach. I think at the beginning of the season it's safe to say that neither Benfica or Sporting would've been expected to be champions, by those of us at least. It was Porto's year. But here they are slugging it out in the final few weeks of the season. It has made a very entertaining end, more compelling than its been in a while. Both teams, players, coaches deserve credit.
- Chuck Swirsky
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Post#79 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:24 pm

stro wrote:That's a great summary of the season up to this point Dirk. I don't really want to get into the whole "helping hand" discussion. We all know what goes on with Portuguese football. And I really wasn't implying that with my horse shoe comment. What I meant was just that, you touched on it yourself. Sporting vs Benfica, could very well be the deciding factor in the championship. And that game was all Sporting. I know, Benfica capitalized on their one chance and essentially parked the bus. But it nearly bit them in the ass. Jefferson hit the cross bar, and Bryan Ruiz did what he did, let's not go back there again. Then in Benfica's following games Jonas scores in the 94th(!!!) minute against Boavista. Raul Jiminez, a late sub comes in and scores in the final minutes as well against Academica. Benfica has made it out by the skin of their teeth the last few weeks and with the way that Sporting has been rolling over their opponents during the same stretch Benfica is IMO vey lucky to be still at the top of the table.

But I give credit where credit is do, a team that pulls out late goals to win is a team that never quits and that deserves recognition on both the players part and coach. I think at the beginning of the season it's safe to say that neither Benfica or Sporting would've been expected to be champions, by those of us at least. It was Porto's year. But here they are slugging it out in the final few weeks of the season. It has made a very entertaining end, more compelling than its been in a while. Both teams, players, coaches deserve credit.

In the Boavista game, Benfica were really lucky, Boavista were actually the team closer to the goal... and Benfica scored off one random ball lumped upfield, headed by Carcela - who is someone not renowned for heading the ball. In the Academica game, it was more natural. They were pressuring hard and got the goal. Easier to accept.

I think the first half of the season Sporting had some lucky bounces, there were several games won at the death. That enabled them to go what... 7 points ahead of Benfica? Everything was there for Sporting to have a manageable lead, even before the Benfica game, Sporting lost a couple of points. So yeah, it was a really wasted opportunity for Sporting.

Porto have become a mess. It's just not this year. It's since 2011 really. Even the two league wins in 11/12 and 12/13 were despite some "bad management" by the board. 13/14 and 14/15 were not totally surprising to me and then this year... where everything collapsed.

But going back to my first post above, Benfica haven't invested much in 14/15 and 15/16. They're relying on Jonas, Mitroglou(ironically someone Sporting had almost signed) and then they have some young players, some very average players... Gaitan is a difference maker, but he missed several games this season, so...all in all, it's not a team that is that great, if they don't make investments and the new players make a difference, Sporting will again have a good chance next year.

Obviously, we're talking about a Sporting club that has struggled for several years and is not on the same level as Porto and Benfica as far as their budget, this is why I mention Benfica's investment, if they just ride this season next year, it's not that unlikely to see Sporting again with a good chance to win it... along with Porto if they are fortunate with the new coach/players.
60/21/10
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#80 » by El Turco » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:The problem with Turkish football is that players only go there for the money. They go there to retire.

yeah you are talking out of yer ass. looking at the foreign players on big 3 teams..

muslera- signed age 25
sneijder - signed age 28
rodriguez- 21
denayer- 20
carole- 24
podolski-30
chedjou- 28
bruma-18
telles- 21

sosa-29
tosic-30
marcelo-28
quaresma-32
rhodolfo-29
gomez-30
beck-28

fernandao-28
markovic-21
diego-29
de souza-26
kjaer-26
meireles-29
ba-24
nani-28
kadlec-28
alves-30
emenike-24

by and large players signed at their prime age or when they are young, only player that was anywhere close to "retirement" is quaresma, and he was signed more or less to put butts on the seats since he is a fan favorite from previous stint. players like podolski and gomez are far cry from their overrated peaks but came off playing major roles in solid european teams.

problem is the management..owners meddling with the team on the field and impatient approach that makes continuity impossible to achieve. gala went head to head and was able to beat any team in europe whenever they had any kind of cohesion, evidenced by almost eliminating real if it wasnt for a botched penalty call few years ago.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.

Return to The General Soccer Board