Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1901 » by BUCKnation » Tue Oct 4, 2016 4:27 pm

Yeah, I was so jealous. Definitely a great performance and start to the year, especially since we've pretty much been without our best XI playing more than a game or two all together.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#1902 » by Baphomet » Tue Oct 4, 2016 10:43 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, I was so jealous. Definitely a great performance and start to the year, especially since we've pretty much been without our best XI playing more than a game or two all together.

I'm not sure I even know what our best XI is anymore.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1903 » by HIF » Fri Oct 7, 2016 2:32 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, I was so jealous. Definitely a great performance and start to the year, especially since we've pretty much been without our best XI playing more than a game or two all together.

Maybe what you thought your best 11 is, isn't your best 11.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1904 » by Baphomet » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm not sure what it is, but Dembele is definitely in it. The team is markedly better with his participation.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1905 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:51 pm

Kane signs a new deal until 2022. Rumoured to be about 100k-120k p/w.

Good stuff. Hope he can regain his confidence and push on, we need a bit of positivity.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1906 » by BUCKnation » Thu Dec 1, 2016 11:43 pm

That is great to lock him down. I think we need to lock down Verts and hopefully Lloris next.

I always think these numbers are kind of funny in comparison to other sports. 6/32 is what it comes out to I believe which was pretty much the MLE in the NBA.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1907 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 2, 2016 1:18 pm

I think Lloris is the most impotant. We let him down big time in the CL, he was the only player that showed up.

Of course, I'd prefer if we held on to him but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Vertonghen was sold or didn't sign a new contract with us. He's far more replacable than Hugo. Obviously, by that I mean signing a new CB, not slotting Dier or Wimmer in.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1908 » by BUCKnation » Fri Dec 2, 2016 1:54 pm

:lol: Verts just signed his new contract. Lloris is definitely the biggest one we need to get done.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1909 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:38 pm

Well, fair enough then.

Do you think any of the team's malaise of late can be attributed to the slew of contracts we're seeing now? I can imagine there was a little uncertainty.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1910 » by BUCKnation » Fri Dec 2, 2016 7:25 pm

No idea, I think getting healthy and keeping some consistency in the lineup would really help. Last season, other than Verts getting injured, we really didn't lose anyone for an extending period and the team worked pretty seamlessly with interchangeable parts. This year we really lack that consistency.

Big reason I'm still positive for this season is (outside of a couple of games) we have looked pretty bad and we are still in 5th. If we could actually go on a run and have a month or two of good football we could be in a good spot.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1911 » by HIF » Sat Dec 3, 2016 4:04 pm

Lloris could think CL football elswhere is more interesting.

Perhaps PSG will step in for him.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1912 » by and1GS » Wed Dec 7, 2016 11:28 pm

We can't put the ball in the net, which really falls on the whole team. Eriksen isn't really scoring anymore. Deli Sandwich has cooled off significantly and is playing more like a 20 year old. Kane was out for quite a while. Our most redeeming chance creator/goal scorer has been Son - who went nuclear, then has crashed back down to earth. Lamela was playing great football too before he hit the injury/personal leave list for what seems like 8 weeks now.

Other than Son, Nkoudou has been the most direct player I've seen from our attacking contingent. He leaves something to be desired and I'm not convinced he'd be great over 75-80 minutes.

It's the same old Spurs. Levy has refused to put big money into our attacking talent, so we're left with a world class backline, a Ballon D'Or shortlist keeper and then a bunch of very solid attackers that aren't noted goal-scorers. I think the most obvious areas for improvement are second striker (I like Vincent, and he's quite young, but he hasn't been a scorer) and a more direct, elite winger. We probably can't get either until the stadium is complete.

Overall I think we have a great team - just lacking venom in attack.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1913 » by BUCKnation » Thu Dec 8, 2016 12:03 am

Hopefully the current form is closer to what we should expect. Even though we were down 0-1 at the start we could have been up 2/3-0 by that point. I'll agree that scoring has been the biggest issue, during that poor stretch it seemed like we hit the post/crossbar and incredible amount of times and more often then not those will go in.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1914 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:55 pm

We were hitting the post/bar a lot against Leicester and a couple of others for sure, but honestly we were very poor in that run overall. Really lacking ideas.

I still hate the Sissoko signing. I can't believe we spent that much money on a clown like him. That money could've been better spent elsewhere, like burning 30m in a heap. Wanyama has been a really good signing. I like what Janssen brings but he needs to start finding the net otherwise it's for naught, especially with Kane hitting his stride again. He needs to prove he can be a reliable backup.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1915 » by and1GS » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:28 pm

I like what the Sissoko signing signaled. Very pricey for a guy who's essentially a utility backup throughout the midfield, but that's what we're going to need to start doing once the new stadium is built. Our starting lineup can't get all that much better, especially when you consider Dele hasn't been in form all season, so the ability to compete in multiple competitions will come from our strength in numbers.

I also think he's going to end up being fine for us. He does a lot right, but his final ball is about as bad as Lamela's was for his first two seasons. I think it's nerves from finally playing with a top club team. That said, how he starts for France is beyond me :lol:
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1916 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 9, 2016 2:02 pm

I think what we need above all is the return of Toby and Lamela. Our defence has still been pretty solid, but it's elite with those two in the team. I said it to Ted but Son offers nothing on the defensive side of the ball, and Lamela is probably one of the hardest working wingers in the Premier League in that regard. Don't get me wrong, I like Son, but he's only really useful in games we're dominating.
xLord Juicex
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1917 » by xLord Juicex » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:46 am

Hoping for 3 points tomorrow from the team and a tie between city and arsenal tomorrow. Would shape up nicely in the table.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1918 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:10 pm

xLord Juicex wrote:Hoping for 3 points tomorrow from the team and a tie between city and arsenal tomorrow. Would shape up nicely in the table.

Ideally we don't want Arsenal picking up too many points, but we do move into the top four if Arsenal win (they're 1-0 up as I post this), and we beat Burnley. As long as we win, there isn't really a bad result in the City vs. Arsenal match.

Welcome to RealGM, by the way!
xLord Juicex
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#1919 » by xLord Juicex » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Baphomet wrote:
xLord Juicex wrote:Hoping for 3 points tomorrow from the team and a tie between city and arsenal tomorrow. Would shape up nicely in the table.

Ideally we don't want Arsenal picking up too many points, but we do move into the top four if Arsenal win (they're 1-0 up as I post this), and we beat Burnley. As long as we win, there isn't really a bad result in the City vs. Arsenal match.

Welcome to RealGM, by the way!

Thanks!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1920 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:23 pm

And of course we're now losing to Burnley despite dominating. :lol:

Woeful errors at the back.

Return to The General Soccer Board