Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread 

Post#1941 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 5, 2018 11:35 pm

tjumper78 wrote:a lot of people including myself will be very upset if poch starts lamela over sonny again. sonny getting subbed at 70' was a good sign tho.

You mean against Juventus? I think Lamela was a good choice in the first leg because he offers more on the defensive side of the ball than Son does, and a bit more creativity in the final third. Son is a much better choice when we have space to attack into. At Wembley, who knows? I'd be happy with either playing. Just praying we don't blow the away goal advantage.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#1942 » by BUCKnation » Tue Mar 6, 2018 2:44 am

I think with Son's form you have to start him. Plus he could be lethal on counters since Juve has to push for goals.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1943 » by and1GS » Tue Mar 6, 2018 5:02 am

I like Lamela against Juventus because he's able to hold the ball a bit more. Obviously love Sonny's direct play, but I think that may leave us open for a counter. Who knows, but I do think Lamela has impressed.

Lamela would be on Sandro's side right? If so I think that's the right choice. See how we're going at the 60th and make a sub plan from there.

Totally an aside, but man is Son's two-footedness a joy to watch. Such a natural with either foot and I can't imagine a more terrifying site as a defender than seeing him running direct at goal. Pace, loads of strength, shifty and can go--then shoot--either way. I may just be amazed because I used to wake up at 4 **** a.m. to watch Townsend refuse to let the ball touch his weak foot. How a footballer can play as much as he did and never use his off foot is beyond me. Especially when it seems like Sonny is using both feet every time he touches the ball.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1944 » by Baphomet » Fri Mar 9, 2018 3:55 pm

Out of the CL, need to refocus and put everything into winning the FA Cup and securing top 4.

When all's said and done I don't yet trust this defence to dig in and secure a lead, I always had the feeling that Juventus would score at least 1 even when we were dominating the game. Son was fantastic, even if he did miss a few golden chances. We need to be more clinical in front of goal in general. Regardless, I'm fairly happy with our overall performance and we look like we belong at the top level in the CL, but massively disappointed with the result given how close we were to sealing the deal.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1945 » by HIF » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:00 am

What are the chances that Pochettino gets offered the PSG or RM jobs? If he does surely he'll take them.

I'm baffled by Spurs.

They play some lovely football but they do seem to have a serious flaw when the pressure is on. There is no way that last 16 elimination is satisfactory especially when you are 1 up at home with 2 away goals and only 30 minutes to play.

I'm worried that England is based on this Spurs team. In theory it looks good but I now think that a repeat of the last championships is on the cards.

I'd still have Kane leading the front line (with Vardy as an alternative when/if we play better possession teams), Even though Delli Alli has great skills I don't want him in the England team, he is underperforming and likely to do something stupid in any given match, and his diving is embarrassing. Most of all I don't want Dier in the team, he's not got the intelligence or the necessary composure imo. Walker and Rose, I'm happy with. Not that young lad in midfield either though.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1946 » by BUCKnation » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:08 pm

The whole Dele 'underperforming and ready to do something stupid' line is so overblown. He's got 9 goals and 15 assists in all comps this season and he hasnt acted out in over a year. His diving isnt even that bad. He looks for contact and if he doesnt get it he doesnt even complain despite sometimes getting a yellow. I wish he didn't seek out contact so much, b/c over half the times he seems like he could make a nice play had he stayed up.

He played more as a second striker last year, but now he gets more attention is mainly used as a dummy to free up space for Kane and other wingers. He's the best option England has there. Who do you want Wilshere? lmao

Eric Dier is fine too, I really think he was injured/dazed in that second half after a couple of hard knocks. He's been mostly great this year is once again the best option for england as a DM.

I think at this point the FA cup is a must win. We're the best team left imo, and it'll get that 'trophies' nonsense out of the way and should help mentally too. We were unlucky last year when Chelsea beat us off of 3 varying set pieces and a Matic's best strike of his career and then went on holiday early against Arsenal, which is really f'ing annoying.

I don't see Poch leaving so soon. He's committed to see this through, especially with the new stadium next season.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#1947 » by magik9113 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Wishing Kane a speedy recovery
HIF
RealGM

Post#1948 » by HIF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 pm

magik9113 wrote:Wishing Kane a speedy recovery

Most likely just wants the international break week off.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1949 » by Baphomet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:27 pm

HIF wrote:
magik9113 wrote:Wishing Kane a speedy recovery

Most likely just wants the international break week off.

?
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#1950 » by tjumper78 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm

sheeeeeeeeet... kane is out until april. if sonny can keep up his recent form during kane's absence, his new contract will be huge.
BUCKnation
RealGM

Post#1951 » by BUCKnation » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 pm

He'll miss Chelsea but the timing isnt the worst at least. Only have Swansea this month and he may not have even played in that match anyways.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1952 » by HIF » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 am

tjumper78 wrote:sheeeeeeeeet... kane is out until april. if sonny can keep up his recent form during kane's absence, his new contract will be huge.

So he may not even miss a prem game. overreaction?

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1953 » by Baphomet » Fri May 25, 2018 12:08 am

Poch signs a new contract, keeping him at the club until 2023. Great news.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#1954 » by Det the Threat » Sat May 26, 2018 10:01 pm

@Baphomet
Any chance you've got somewhat of a "scouting report" on Keanan Bennetts.

We just signed him a week ago.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1955 » by Baphomet » Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Det the Threat wrote:@Baphomet
Any chance you've got somewhat of a "scouting report" on Keanan Bennetts.

We just signed him a week ago.

Unfortunately I can't tell you much about him. I don't think he's ever played for the senior team, and I haven't caught him otherwise.

He has a solid record in the PL2, but that's about all I know.
casey33
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1956 » by casey33 » Fri Jun 1, 2018 4:52 pm

Is the Thauvin interest real? I’ve seen rumours but don’t know which Spurs sources are most reputable.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1957 » by Baphomet » Fri Jun 8, 2018 2:32 pm

casey33 wrote:Is the Thauvin interest real? I’ve seen rumours but don’t know which Spurs sources are most reputable.

Don't think we're interested in Thauvin. We were a few years ago before Newcastle got him, but I think it's just lazy journalism at this point.

Kane signs a new contract until 2024. :nod:
casey33
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1958 » by casey33 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 2:39 pm

Baphomet wrote:
casey33 wrote:Is the Thauvin interest real? I’ve seen rumours but don’t know which Spurs sources are most reputable.

Don't think we're interested in Thauvin. We were a few years ago before Newcastle got him, but I think it's just lazy journalism at this point.

Kane signs a new contract until 2024. :nod:

That's good for me -- it's never fun seeing OM's best leave.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1959 » by Baphomet » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 pm

We beat Roma 4-1 in the preseason. I know it's preseason, but Lucas Moura looked very good.

Hope we see more of him during the Premier League season.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#1960 » by AK47MVP » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 am

Nice win vs Roma.

Return to The General Soccer Board