Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Tottenham Hotspur FC 

Post#21 » by Ted Lasso » Wed Feb 1, 2012 6:48 pm

fudgie wrote:For some reason Harry is very hesitant to sell Corluka. Corluka wanted first team action to prepare for the Euro with Croatia this summer which is why he got the loan move.

It's great that he wants to play and all, but we needed him. Exhibit A; Kyle Walker limped off yesterday. He says it's nothing serious, thankfully, but if it were, we would have had to resort to fielding Kaboul or Livermore at right back. That is far from an ideal situation, so why directly cause it by caving in and loaning him out?

fudgie wrote:I don't know why Kranjcar is still there. He doesn't play at all and would contribute a lot to say a mid table Premier League team.

I would rather have kept Pienaar than Kranjcar, to be honest, but I don't know that he wants to leave. A couple of German clubs were after him this time last year and he refused to go.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#22 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:07 pm

Just picked up Ryan Nelsen from Blackburn Rovers.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#23 » by Elden Payton » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:24 am

Mad Spurs fan here, I havent been on the Football board in ages.

Cheers for starting this thread & no I'm not trolling.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,591

Post#24 » by Baphomet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Oh sweet, a Spurs thread. Didn't notice.

Not exactly an inspiring performance against Stevenage, but those small grounds are actually pretty difficult to play on, and the crowds can be pretty hostile. The home side put in a really scrappy performance and didn't let Spurs get into rhythm with their passing game, so hats off to them, really. The offside goal was pretty unlucky though, Scott Parker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kudos to Stevenage for defending pretty well and bringing forth a replay. Teams like them are what the FA Cup's all about.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#25 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm

It's not easy adapting to a three-men backline so i'm tempted to blame the formation change for the performance, but that's what got us back in the game at Stoke so i'm not sure. We weren't any better once Kranjcar came on and we switched to a 4-4-2 either.

It seemed like they just weren't up for it on the day. Disciplined performance from Stevenage as well. I thought Bale was especially uncomfortable in an unfamiliar role. It's one thing for him to drift inside within the flow of the game. He clearly enjoys that. But i don't think he's a player who can start his movement from a central position. At least not yet.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur FC Thread 

Post#26 » by 5DOM » Tue Jul 3, 2012 2:06 pm

AVB's confirmed the "Head Coach".

I'll try to update the thread titles for club discussions threads.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - AVB to WHL 

Post#27 » by Baphomet » Tue Jul 3, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm wondering how he's going to set the team up, tactically.

I expect he'll play 4-3-3 and use Bale and Lennon in the Hulk/Varela mould either side of Adebayor if he's signed, or whomever they acquire in the transfer window. I expect Sandro and VDV will flesh out the midfield, but I don't see us retaining Modric so the third player will likely be Parker.

This is from EPL index. Switch Gallas with Vertonghen (provided he can successfully negotiate his contract issue with Ajax) and I'm happy with this team. Of course, Defoe as our only striker is not going to work out so we're going to need to bring Adebayor back.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#28 » by and1GS » Tue Jul 3, 2012 7:30 pm

How much time does Parker project to miss? I assumed it was only a few weeks of matches.

What is the likelihood of us holding onto Adebayor? His contract is absurd and I doubt any team, other than Man City, could even pay it. He doesn't seem wanted at City and they now have a logjam up top so what happens now? We really need him to be successful so I hope we work something out.

Any idea on if we'll bring in a winger to back up Bale/Lennon?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,400

Post#29 » by Slava » Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:49 am

To be fair if a couple of decisions went his way in the City game, Spurs season would have ended in a much different way. Too bad Harry couldn't motivate the team after that. The final few weeks were a total meltdown.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#30 » by treiz » Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:53 pm

Looking at that lineup, and if you guys get Vertonghen and Adebayor, AVB's high line and 4-3-3 could actually work for you guys much more than it did for us, of course assuming that the XI stays intact
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#31 » by Next Coming » Wed Jul 4, 2012 6:29 pm

I'd try and sell Modric for Sahin and some cash.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Baphomet » Wed Jul 4, 2012 6:53 pm

and1GS wrote:What is the likelihood of us holding onto Adebayor? His contract is absurd and I doubt any team, other than Man City, could even pay it. He doesn't seem wanted at City and they now have a logjam up top so what happens now? We really need him to be successful so I hope we work something out.

Any idea on if we'll bring in a winger to back up Bale/Lennon?

I'm honestly not sure what our chances are of keeping Ade. As you said his contract is obscenely large, but he's expressed a strong desire to stay with Spurs. He will almost certainly be leaving Man City, but I don't know who would be willing to pay that wage, despite proving last season that he still has a huge amount to offer on the pitch. I expect that Villas Boas will want to pursue his own striker targets, and we've been linked with Sturridge from Chelsea whom I personally want no part of at all, though I suspect that's mostly tabloid nonsense.

Next Coming wrote:I'd try and sell Modric for Sahin and some cash.

From everything I've read, I don't think Sahin is interested in Spurs and wants to stay at Madrid. He'd certainly get a lot more playing time here, though. If we were doing a part exchange deal for Modric (which rarely actually come to fruition) I'd be a lot more enamoured by Higuaín. A man can dream right? :D

I say take the 35 million or so and let AVB acquire players suitable for his system. Moutinho would be a great start.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Baphomet » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:22 pm

And AVB has made his first signing.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/N ... 72012.page?

Welcome to the lane Gylfi! :clap:
diogo_pt
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#34 » by diogo_pt » Wed Jul 4, 2012 8:15 pm

I think Moutinho is not a possible target. It will take at least 30M€ (probably 35M€) to buy him
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#35 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:19 pm

With AVB at the helm doe sthis finally put to rest the Loic Remy transfer talk? Every year we're rumored for him and every year we don't get anywhere near signing him.

I agree that AVB will look to bring in his own strikers, also agree that Sturridge should not be the direction we take that search. FWIW I'd much rather have a big Ade-like striker than a diminutive Defoe-like one. With such great wingers we're wasting crosses by having a small striker.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
and1GS
RealGM

Post#36 » by and1GS » Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:20 pm

Gylfi signing is interesting, helped keep Swansea up.

and1GS
RealGM

Post#37 » by and1GS » Fri Jul 6, 2012 9:59 pm

Lass Diarra to White Hart Lane rumors are surfacing. Huge fan of his place, but how does he figure in to our midfield? A player of his caliber and defensive prowess is will find his way into a smart side so I'm all for this.

He'd be able to start right away with parker out, but is he redundant to what Sandro brings?

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Baphomet » Sat Jul 7, 2012 5:25 am

and1GS wrote:Lass Diarra to White Hart Lane rumors are surfacing. Huge fan of his place, but how does he figure in to our midfield? A player of his caliber and defensive prowess is will find his way into a smart side so I'm all for this.

He'd be able to start right away with parker out, but is he redundant to what Sandro brings?

We always seemingly get linked to Lass every transfer window, similarly to how you pointed out the constant links to Remy. It'd be nice if a deal finally gets done because he's a good player, but I don't see it happening. I think Sandro deserves the first-team place now. I feel like when he was on the pitch we were significantly better, and he's a lot more creative on the ball than Parker.

I'd like to think that after signing Sigurdsson (and hopefully Vertonghen), strikers are our foremost concern in this window.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Baphomet » Sat Jul 7, 2012 7:42 pm

A lot of buzz about Vertonghen to Spurs being close to completion after settling the contract dispute, apparently for a fee of 8 million euros! That's unbelievable value if true.

Ajax fans have handled the whole thing with incredible class, all wishing him the best with Spurs and holding no resentment towards his departure. There's a lot we can learn from them, as I can't help but feel that in the EPL we're all terribly bitter when our best players leave. I've no doubt we'll have to deal with the same thing when Modric is sold.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread - Vertonghen signed 

Post#40 » by 5DOM » Sun Jul 8, 2012 12:10 pm

Vertonghen signing is finally official

12M euros according to Ajax

Return to The General Soccer Board