Official Liverpool FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread 

Post#1021 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 pm

coldfish wrote: Liverpool isn't inconsistent. They are incredibly consistent.

When they play their best XI, they win. When they rotate in their bench, they lose or draw. Since October, I think the full squad is 22-5-2. 71 points of 87.

Here's my problem with this: So we rotated out our best players 14-16 games this year? If this statistic is so glaringly obvious.....why does Klopp continue to "rest" these guys against the lesser competition? Seems like the game against WB was a chance for us to seal our ticket to next years CL. We played Salah all game....so who we resting? And why? If this is really this obvious....it's equally a ding on Klopp for refusing to see the writing right in front of him.

coldfish wrote:Last year, their horrible stretch in January coincided with Mane and Coutinho being out. This year, their draws against WB, Everton x 2, etc. all were games where Klopp rotated in the bench to rest starters. I bet if you were to look at the points per game when the best XI play, they are better than Man City.

The problem is and has been that the team is shallow. The bench sucks, so when injuries invariably happen or players need rest, Danny Ings comes in and does nothing, Sturridge limps around or Alberto Moreno effectively plays for the other team.

When you look at Man City and Man United, they have great depth. Particularly Man City brings on world class players when they rotate in. If Liverpool wants to make a title run while still competing in multiple competitions, they need to add several good players.

So the last couple pages on this board really make me look like the 'anti-Klopp' guy. I actually completely agree with everything you wrote. I think it was a damn shame we didn't shore up defense. Our defense last year was brutal. But no fixes. Ownership can certainly take fair share. You don't have to go back and look...but trust me that I have stated many times that our team rely on every single one of our better players being out there....and the second anything goes sideways, we're screwed. I get it 100%

But this team got a full season last year to recognize everything you just wrote. It also has enjoyed a pretty darn injury-free season. Lallana has been gone, but thats been for the good and the bad this year. <------- So why has absolutely nothing changed?

And if this is just "our fate" as a team with X-amount of $$ to spend....then I guess it doesn't really matter who coaches, or if I rate him poorly, or any of that...does it? We all agree that we're not gonna go injury free....so we'll just never win a title until we're 2-deep....is that it? There's no facet of this situation that can be improved on?

I just don't agree. We seem to be able to get healthy and play full strength against the top 7-8 teams in the PL to muster up quite a respectable record the last couple years. So this stinks of attitude, and respect for opposition more than health.

We're 20-wins 11-Draws 4-losses. So 15 out of 35 games have been losses or draws. That about 40% right? We haven't been injured 40% of the season....so what gives? He's just resting guys because he thinks we should beat them? You read his interview after WB right? He seemed genuinely irritated, and shocked that they bothered to come play. If this really is all about our rotations....then its his lack of respect that's leading to these rotations, is it not?

There are many, many things I like about Klopp. But his Liverpool team is particularly bad about playing 'lesser talent'. And I'm not gonna let him off the hook for it. I think this team does have the talent. Yes....we could definitely use a little shoring up here, a little shoring up there......but we shouldn't be some 20 or so points behind MC.

And lastly...I'm not asking for perfection. MC has a deep super-team. I get it. If we come in 29-6-3 next yeaer with a couple losses, and a handful of draws with top-10 teams....hey, I get it. Big improvement, and it is what it is. We may not beat MC for the title.

But that's not what's going on, is it?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#1022 » by coldfish » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
coldfish wrote: Liverpool isn't inconsistent. They are incredibly consistent.

When they play their best XI, they win. When they rotate in their bench, they lose or draw. Since October, I think the full squad is 22-5-2. 71 points of 87.

Here's my problem with this: So we rotated out our best players 14-16 games this year? If this statistic is so glaringly obvious.....why does Klopp continue to "rest" these guys against the lesser competition? Seems like the game against WB was a chance for us to seal our ticket to next years CL. We played Salah all game....so who we resting? And why? If this is really this obvious....it's equally a ding on Klopp for refusing to see the writing right in front of him.

I think that just about every game where there was a rotation, the reason behind it was pretty obvious. Klopp is blatantly prioritizing CL over prem over cup games.

Something is also going on with Salah. Klopp seems to be trying to get him scoring records.

As a side note, when Klopp first came to Liverpool, he didn't do this and it ended up being an endless parade of hamstring injuries. Klopp was interviewed this year and said something to the effect that they now track player effort and when a guy gets into a "red zone", they rest him because they feel that is how players were getting hurt.

While the injuries haven't been great this year, they have been better and I'll give Klopp credit for learning on the job.

coldfish wrote:Last year, their horrible stretch in January coincided with Mane and Coutinho being out. This year, their draws against WB, Everton x 2, etc. all were games where Klopp rotated in the bench to rest starters. I bet if you were to look at the points per game when the best XI play, they are better than Man City.

The problem is and has been that the team is shallow. The bench sucks, so when injuries invariably happen or players need rest, Danny Ings comes in and does nothing, Sturridge limps around or Alberto Moreno effectively plays for the other team.

When you look at Man City and Man United, they have great depth. Particularly Man City brings on world class players when they rotate in. If Liverpool wants to make a title run while still competing in multiple competitions, they need to add several good players.

So the last couple pages on this board really make me look like the 'anti-Klopp' guy. I actually completely agree with everything you wrote. I think it was a damn shame we didn't shore up defense. Our defense last year was brutal. But no fixes. Ownership can certainly take fair share. You don't have to go back and look...but trust me that I have stated many times that our team rely on every single one of our better players being out there....and the second anything goes sideways, we're screwed. I get it 100%

But this team got a full season last year to recognize everything you just wrote. It also has enjoyed a pretty darn injury-free season. Lallana has been gone, but thats been for the good and the bad this year. <------- So why has absolutely nothing changed?

And if this is just "our fate" as a team with X-amount of $$ to spend....then I guess it doesn't really matter who coaches, or if I rate him poorly, or any of that...does it? We all agree that we're not gonna go injury free....so we'll just never win a title until we're 2-deep....is that it? There's no facet of this situation that can be improved on?

I just don't agree. We seem to be able to get healthy and play full strength against the top 7-8 teams in the PL to muster up quite a respectable record the last couple years. So this stinks of attitude, and respect for opposition more than health.

We're 20-wins 11-Draws 4-losses. So 15 out of 35 games have been losses or draws. That about 40% right? We haven't been injured 40% of the season....so what gives? He's just resting guys because he thinks we should beat them? You read his interview after WB right? He seemed genuinely irritated, and shocked that they bothered to come play. If this really is all about our rotations....then its his lack of respect that's leading to these rotations, is it not?

There are many, many things I like about Klopp. But his Liverpool team is particularly bad about playing 'lesser talent'. And I'm not gonna let him off the hook for it. I think this team does have the talent. Yes....we could definitely use a little shoring up here, a little shoring up there......but we shouldn't be some 20 or so points behind MC.

And lastly...I'm not asking for perfection. MC has a deep super-team. I get it. If we come in 29-6-3 next yeaer with a couple losses, and a handful of draws with top-10 teams....hey, I get it. Big improvement, and it is what it is. We may not beat MC for the title.

But that's not what's going on, is it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8apehy/premier_league_top_6_vs_top_6_mini_league_after_9/

Liverpool was awful against bottom 14 teams last year. This year, they have been better. Other than Man City, no one out of the top 6 is doing much better against the other 14 than Liverpool. Your complaints are mostly based on last year and again, I would say that Klopp is learning.

With that said, yeah, if Liverpool wants to win the league, they have to do much better. Klopp himself recently talked about it, without offering up any fixes. They need better depth, they need to get rid of the dumb defenders who tend to give up silly goals and they need to figure out how to break down a team with a parked bus.

Getting to the last point, I think that losing coutinho in particular hurt against these lower tier teams. No one in the midfield now can hit a shot from outside the box (well its rare) and no one can beat people off the dribble to break down a defense. IMHO, a high quality attacking mid should be on the list. I'm not sure Keita is that guy. Losing Coutinho hurt and its been somewhat disguised by getting Virgil at the same time and having Mane, Firmino and Salah all healthy since Couts left.

Liverpool is absolutely flush with cash right now. Between Coutinho sale and the CL run, its hundreds of millions of pounds in the warchest. They better spend it.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1023 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 am

coldfish wrote:Liverpool was awful against bottom 14 teams last year. This year, they have been better. Other than Man City, no one out of the top 6 is doing much better against the other 14 than Liverpool. Your complaints are mostly based on last year and again, I would say that Klopp is learning.

With that said, yeah, if Liverpool wants to win the league, they have to do much better. Klopp himself recently talked about it, without offering up any fixes. They need better depth, they need to get rid of the dumb defenders who tend to give up silly goals and they need to figure out how to break down a team with a parked bus.

Getting to the last point, I think that losing coutinho in particular hurt against these lower tier teams. No one in the midfield now can hit a shot from outside the box (well its rare) and no one can beat people off the dribble to break down a defense. IMHO, a high quality attacking mid should be on the list. I'm not sure Keita is that guy. Losing Coutinho hurt and its been somewhat disguised by getting Virgil at the same time and having Mane, Firmino and Salah all healthy since Couts left.

Liverpool is absolutely flush with cash right now. Between Coutinho sale and the CL run, its hundreds of millions of pounds in the warchest. They better spend it.

Hey....definitely some good points. I hear ya on most of it.

At this point, I think we both had our say. We'll have to agree to disagree. I can certainly be accused of tunnel-vision when it comes to us winning the PL...and fair enough to that. 11 draws will never be ok with me. On one of those crazy injury riddle-seasons, I'll let up...but otherwise, I'm not gonna accept it.

But hey....we're looking good in the CL. We have one hell of a prolific scorer right now.....we play beautiful football on our day. There's plenty to be happy about. The season is lost...so let's all hope we spend some, and add some depth. We'll take it from there.

Right now we have 2 more games to win in the CL.....and a couple left in the League to ensure our spot for next season (I suppose we keep it if we win anyhow...but would rather not depend on that).
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#1024 » by Next Coming » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:37 pm

3Diamantidis wrote:Lovren must leave.

VvD apparently suggested de Ligt to Klopp. Just spend the money to get him. City are interested in him and have already spent 50M each on Stones and Laporte.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1025 » by Next Coming » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Good news with Ox is he'll be ready by training camp. Sucks to have him out for our remainder games because he's been so good. I hope he gets fit and gets back on form for us.

Not necessarily a bad thing that he'll have a full training camp with VvD and Keita at Melwood
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1026 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Next Coming wrote:Good news with Ox is he'll be ready by training camp. Sucks to have him out for our remainder games because he's been so good. I hope he gets fit and gets back on form for us.

Not necessarily a bad thing that he'll have a full training camp with VvD and Keita at Melwood

It is great news. I really feel for him to have this happen NOW. Alot of missed opportunities in his career, because of this. Look forward to seeing him bounce back, and get out there.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1027 » by humanrefutation » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1028 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:00 pm

FFS....and just like that we're neck and neck with Chelsea for 4th. Next game at Stamford Bridge. Loss means we're tied going into the last game of season.

Mind-boggling sometimes.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,441

Post#1029 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 2, 2018 5:29 am

humanrefutation wrote:

Funny & yet cringe worthy all wrapped in one :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread 

Post#1030 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 2, 2018 5:35 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Funny & yet cringe worthy all wrapped in one

The 442oons videos are generally pretty funny. The videos covering the Coutinho saga are great.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1031 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 3, 2018 12:22 am

Does anyone prefer to have Clyne start over AA in the final? His experience alone.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1032 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 3, 2018 12:46 am

Spoiler:

:lol: :lol:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1033 » by humanrefutation » Thu May 3, 2018 2:47 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Does anyone prefer to have Clyne start over AA in the final? His experience alone.

Nah. He has barely played all season. TAA has earned the start.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1034 » by danfantastk32 » Thu May 3, 2018 4:10 am

Good job to the boys. We're in the CL finals again! Good stuff. Very excited.

Very curious to see what kinda game we bring.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1035 » by Next Coming » Thu May 3, 2018 12:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Does anyone prefer to have Clyne start over AA in the final? His experience alone.

Hell nah lol
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1036 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 4, 2018 2:23 am

Which is the real one? :lol:

Read on Twitter
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1037 » by danfantastk32 » Sun May 6, 2018 5:45 pm

Don't look now, but our next PL game (Klopp...there's this thing called the Premier League) is a must win to secure a spot in next years CL. Ridiculous that we've let this happen.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1038 » by HIF » Mon May 7, 2018 12:06 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Don't look now, but our next PL game (Klopp...there's this thing called the Premier League) is a must win to secure a spot in next years CL. Ridiculous that we've let this happen.

It's amazing but that is what the "distraction" of Europe can do.

Chelsea have put a nice run together but even if they win their last 2 games their poor GD should mean you and Spurs are safe. TBH Spurs are more likely to **** up though a repeat of their 6 goal drubbing of us at the end of last season could also be on the books.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#1039 » by Baseline81 » Mon May 7, 2018 1:18 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Don't look now, but our next PL game (Klopp...there's this thing called the Premier League) is a must win to secure a spot in next years CL. Ridiculous that we've let this happen.

Not too worried, to be honest.

Liverpool looked knackered Sunday. Getting a full week between matches will help. With the tie held at Anfield, the crowd will be up for it. More importantly, Brighton has already secured PL for next season. They have nothing to play for whereas Stoke, West Brom and Chelsea were desperate for points.

With all that said, Chelsea have a midweek match and must win both. Tottenham could falter as well.
Dmacy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1040 » by Dmacy » Mon May 7, 2018 2:21 pm

awesome Thread!
Long live the Reds...

Return to The General Soccer Board