Official Liverpool FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,435

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread 

Post#1521 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 1, 2020 11:05 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Hey Cactus...when does our new guy showcase? Can he play yet?

Here you go!

Takumi Minamino in Contention to Make Debut Against Everton

However, Minamino won’t be eligible to play against Sheffield. Despite Liverpool having agreed his deal previously, he wasn’t able to be registered until today and to keep a level playing field no newly signed players can take part this matchweek.

“Is he in contention for Everton?” Klopp added when asked how soon he would seek to include him. “Of course. This game we are not allowed to use him but from the next moment on we are thinking about putting him in the squad.”
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#1522 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Jan 2, 2020 10:00 pm

Nice win. I wanna give the boys some major props. We lost our first game of last Jan against Man-City....and since then, we haven't lost a game. How cool is that?!! An entire year. F*&# awesome.

With that in mind....and with all the "league is Liverpool's" talk, and all these recent "best team in world" conversations...I TOTALLY thought we were gonna blow this one. Totally. But we roll on. 13 points with a game in hand. Well done.

Keep the fire. Still have a long way to go. But congrats on a full year without a loss (in the prem). Super cool.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1523 » by HIF » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:37 am

The question now is what would make this season a failure? Is winning the prem enough?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1524 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:01 am

HIF wrote:The question now is what would make this season a failure? Is winning the prem enough?

Not winning the league obviously would be "failure". Everything else is just gravy. I can't speak for everyone. But yes...winning the prem has been the goal since day 1. It's more than enough at this stage.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1525 » by HIF » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:51 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
HIF wrote:The question now is what would make this season a failure? Is winning the prem enough?

Not winning the league obviously would be "failure". Everything else is just gravy. I can't speak for everyone. But yes...winning the prem has been the goal since day 1. It's more than enough at this stage.

That's good. it goes to show that the Prem is the most important trophy in the world.

I think you are probably right for this season given the circumstances. However only the prem title would look a little paltry compared to Man city's treble last season and your own European title. If Man city won the CL/FA cup/ League Cup they'd probably claim they had the better season. though I'm in agreement with you that the Premier league is far more difficult to win than the others in terms of being a consistently good team. I wonder if Klopp will be putting out his starting eleven in the FA Cup (not this round) given his large lead in the prem? What do you think?

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#1526 » by aggerrard » Fri Jan 3, 2020 1:59 pm

HIF wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

That's good. it goes to show that the Prem is the most important trophy in the world.

I think you are probably right for this season given the circumstances. However only the prem title would look a little paltry compared to Man city's treble last season and your own European title. If Man city won the CL/FA cup/ League Cup they'd probably claim they had the better season. though I'm in agreement with you that the Premier league is far more difficult to win than the others in terms of being a consistently good team. I wonder if Klopp will be putting out his starting eleven in the FA Cup (not this round) given his large lead in the prem? What do you think?

Sorry for giving my opinion.. :P

If we win the Prem, i don't care if we get elimated from the CL or the FA Cup. City can claim a better season, if they win the CL, i couldn't care less if we win the Prem. So i'm with Cactus, winning the Prem woud be more than enough - it would almost be sad if a CL titel should drown in euphoria over winning the prem (If we win... :lol:), but ofc i'll take another CL titel aswell.

We have quite a few injuries atm. I think Klopp plays some of the starters. My guess would be something like this vs Everton:

Adrian
Neco - Phillips - Virgil - Milner
Lallana
Curtis - Kane
Elliott - Minamino - Origi

I could see maybe Salah, Gini or Hendo in instead of Kane.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1527 » by HIF » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:54 pm

I'm pretty sure you have less injuries in your entire squad than Newcastle had in 1 game.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1528 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:10 pm

HIF wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I just want to win the Prem. That's all that really matters.

If we win CL again, that would be awesome. But, the season would still be a success either way.

Winning the Prem is always top priority. Followed by CL/Europe.

The FA & league cups are pretty meaningless to me. They're glorified participation trophies. :wink:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1529 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:02 pm

Very glad to see the focus from the fans around here. Hope the team is the same.

This season can't possibly be a failure if 'we just win the league' <----- we haven't won it yet!

"Just" nothin.....we haven't won squat. Have a good 15-16 games left.

Are our chances damn good? Would it be a historical choke? Would it take catastrophic injuries?? Yeah yeah yeah....none of that matters, if we lose a guy or two. Nobody will take it easy....and within 3-4 games, you'd have a coupl teams within striking distance of us. So I for one am not taking anything for granted. I really like our chances. I am really enjoying the way we are playing. I'd be a liar to say I don't realize how "likely" it is. But we've never won the Prem....and we still haven't yet.

I will take that, and nothing else at the moment. I plan on getting good and wasted if we win the prem. I'm prob gonna have a little cry and sing along with the boys at the end of the game. I'll be a right mess the rest of the day, and will prob get sent into the garage for the evening (fine).

It'll be 18-20-some years in the making for this fan. It'll be good enough for me this year. But we gotta get there first.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1530 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:09 pm

aggerrard wrote: Sorry for giving my opinion.. :P

Don't ever be sorry. It's a chat board for Liverpool fans, and you are a Liverpool fan. You own equal stock to everyone else in the room here. If people don't like your take, they can deal with it.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1531 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:28 pm

HIF wrote: I think you are probably right for this season given the circumstances. However only the prem title would look a little paltry compared to Man city's treble last season and your own European title. If Man city won the CL/FA cup/ League Cup they'd probably claim they had the better season. though I'm in agreement with you that the Premier league is far more difficult to win than the others in terms of being a consistently good team. I wonder if Klopp will be putting out his starting eleven in the FA Cup (not this round) given his large lead in the prem? What do you think?

I know my take is getting a little boring, and I do realize that we have a team capable of doing some great things. I understand those fans that wanna see us swing for the fences. But I for one want to see the youth side in the FA cup again. Throw in our new signing, and maybe a couple bench guys who don't get to see much playing time.

I don't want to risk an injury, as I see that as our biggest enemy to a prem title at this point. I have never given 2-cents for the FA cup. I think its a cool tournament, and I think its one of those great things for small town teams like Scarsburough to get to play (and maybe even beat) a huge team. Love the concept. But it's really that trophy that you sell to your fans once the other trophies are out of reach. It's plan C....and nobody will ever sell me otherwise.

I don't wanna see a cracked toe-nail, in the name of plan-C. Not this year.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1532 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:15 am

HIF wrote:I'm pretty sure you have less injuries in your entire squad than Newcastle had in 1 game.

Fabinho, Ox, Keita, Matip, Lovren, Shaq, Clyne, Brewster - all out injured vs Sheffield. Newcastle had 6 injuries vs you.

Bench vs Sheffield:
Adrian
Origi
Lallana
Curtis - 4 1st team games in his career
Elliott - 7 1st team games in his career
Neco - 1 1st team game in his career
Phillips - 11 1st team games in his career (all in the 2. Bundesliga)

Minamino is ready for the Everton game. That leaves 15 1st team players fit, 13 outfield players. Most of them have played a bunch lately. So yup, Klopp should rotate and avoid injuries for key-players. I can see either Gomez or Virgil starting alongside Phillips - and maybe Salah aswell in the attack.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1533 » by HIF » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:18 am

We all have 25 man squads. plus the homegrowns and younger player. Liverpool have tons of money. There is no excuse for any prem team regarding injuries due to "congestion" It's called management, rotate your squad that's why you have it. If you decide to play your best 11 twice a week every week then you are asking for trouble and saying that the rest of your squad is substandard. We all know the schedule, we all have the same rules, some of us have more money than others. It's part of the game and part of what makes the Prem the best league in the world.

Of course if "the big teams" really think it's a problem then get FIFA to remove the ridiculous amount of europa/CL games - make them knockout competitions again - which will increase the importance of each and every european game, don't talk about adding more competitions, and get rid of so many pointless international matches. Oh no, it's about money not player fitness isn't it?

Compared to a couple of decades ago we can see massive advances in physical preparation and health programmes, rules that have removed a lot of contact from the game and pitches that are like snooker tables compared to what players used to play on. Players have never had it so good.

aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1534 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:19 pm

HIF wrote:We all have 25 man squads. plus the homegrowns and younger player. Liverpool have tons of money. There is no excuse for any prem team regarding injuries due to "congestion" It's called management, rotate your squad that's why you have it. If you decide to play your best 11 twice a week every week then you are asking for trouble and saying that the rest of your squad is substandard. We all know the schedule, we all have the same rules, some of us have more money than others. It's part of the game and part of what makes the Prem the best league in the world.

Of course if "the big teams" really think it's a problem then get FIFA to remove the ridiculous amount of europa/CL games - make them knockout competitions again - which will increase the importance of each and every european game, don't talk about adding more competitions, and get rid of so many pointless international matches. Oh no, it's about money not player fitness isn't it?

Compared to a couple of decades ago we can see massive advances in physical preparation and health programmes, rules that have removed a lot of contact from the game and pitches that are like snooker tables compared to what players used to play on. Players have never had it so good.

25 including the homegrowns* - 17 players + 8 homegrown. u21 players doesn't need to be registered.

You're always talking 'bout excuses. There are no excuses, just prioritizing.

And btw. Klopp have rotated alot - probably more than most teams in the Prem - rotation have been 18 outfield players deep with Shaq and Keita out the first few month, Matip and Lovren out for a few month aswell and Fabinho out for a few month, now Ox and Keita out for some time. With all these injuries - Klopp prioritizes the league, and then the reserves most likely plays tomorrow vs Everton.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1535 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:20 pm

Best record over 27 consecutive league games by country:
Germany (since 1963) - Bayern W25 D2 (11/05/13-15/03/14)
Italy (since 1929) - Juventus W25 D1 L1 (25/10/15-24/04/16)
Spain (since 1928) - Barcelona W25 D1 L1 (24/04/10-05/02/11)
England (since 1888) - #LFC W26 D1 ongoing...
HIF
RealGM

Post#1536 » by HIF » Sat Jan 4, 2020 5:13 pm

aggerrard wrote:
HIF wrote:We all have 25 man squads. plus the homegrowns and younger player. Liverpool have tons of money. There is no excuse for any prem team regarding injuries due to "congestion" It's called management, rotate your squad that's why you have it. If you decide to play your best 11 twice a week every week then you are asking for trouble and saying that the rest of your squad is substandard. We all know the schedule, we all have the same rules, some of us have more money than others. It's part of the game and part of what makes the Prem the best league in the world.

25 including the homegrowns* - 17 players + 8 homegrown. u21 players doesn't need to be registered.

And btw. Klopp have rotated alot - probably more than most teams in the Prem - rotation have been 18 outfield players deep with Shaq and Keita out the first few month, Matip and Lovren out for a few month aswell and Fabinho out for a few month, now Ox and Keita out for some time. With all these injuries - Klopp prioritizes the league, and then the reserves most likely plays tomorrow vs Everton.

You're the one talking up your "injuries". Klopp is the one complaining in the press.

aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1537 » by aggerrard » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:46 pm

HIF wrote:
aggerrard wrote:

You're the one talking up your "injuries". Klopp is the one complaining in the press.

Yeah, cause' we have injury struggles. That's a fact - and that's why Klopp most likely plays the reserves vs Everton, cause' we're prioritizing the league. Don't act like injuries doesn't matter. Can't afford more injuries atm.

Lovren, Matip, Ox, Fabinho and Shaq are all close to coming back. That's five more first team players. Don't know with Keita how severe the groin injury is. Minamino is ready to play aswell. Atleast six first team players added to the team sometime in january. If we beats Everton that leaves us with some more rotation pieces in the next round.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1538 » by HIF » Sat Jan 4, 2020 7:34 pm

at least you have midweek off this week. ;-)

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#1539 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:59 pm

Great lineup. Happy with that. Got the W on top of it. Well done to the second unit.

Moving on
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#1540 » by aggerrard » Sun Jan 5, 2020 6:58 pm

Great f'ing game by the reserves. Minamino did okay - got some minuted. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play much this season, kinda like with Fabinho. Curtis with a masterpiece. Well deserved win.

Return to The General Soccer Board