Official Liverpool FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread 

Post#741 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Aug 8, 2017 6:29 pm

jirrit wrote:I don't really count Barca in the category of teams that buy every player they want. They don't really buy that often IMO.

They may not buy everyone. But, they can pretty much have their pick.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#742 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:41 am

jirrit wrote:I don't really count Barca in the category of teams that buy every player they want. They don't really buy that often IMO.

Well you prob aughta start.
16/17 season - andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer. Both from Valencia
15/16 season - Arda Turan From Atl Madrid.
14/15 Luis Suarez (bastards), Thomas Vermaelen from Arsenal.
13/14 Neymar (hey paid 88 mil.....so big profit there).
12/13 Alex Song (arsenal) Jordi Alba (Valencia).
11/12 Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) Alexis Sanchez (Udinese Calcio)
10/11 David Villa (Valencia) Javier Mascherano (loved him with LFC..was so pissed about that)
09/10 Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Inter
08/09 Dani Alves from Sevilla, Aleksander Hleb from Arsenal.
07/08 Thierry Henry (Im starting to believe Arsenal prob have a bigger beef than LFC does with Barca).
06/07 Gianluca Zambrotta (Juve) Eidur Gudjohnsen (Chel$ki)

Couple years before that, you got Samuel Eto'o, and Deco. The year prior Ronaldinho.

Sorry man....Barcelona buy more than their fair share of stars. It may not seem like it to you, but they have quite a list going there. Not all those guys ended up super-stars.....but everyone of those guys were tearing it up for their team, and when they were a 'hot item' Barca came a' calling.

Hopefully we don't add Coutinho to that list...although it's not looking good for us LFC fans.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#743 » by jirrit » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:47 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

Well you prob aughta start.
16/17 season - andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer. Both from Valencia
15/16 season - Arda Turan From Atl Madrid.
14/15 Luis Suarez (bastards), Thomas Vermaelen from Arsenal.
13/14 Neymar (hey paid 88 mil.....so big profit there).
12/13 Alex Song (arsenal) Jordi Alba (Valencia).
11/12 Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) Alexis Sanchez (Udinese Calcio)
10/11 David Villa (Valencia) Javier Mascherano (loved him with LFC..was so pissed about that)
09/10 Zlatan Ibrahimovic from Inter
08/09 Dani Alves from Sevilla, Aleksander Hleb from Arsenal.
07/08 Thierry Henry (Im starting to believe Arsenal prob have a bigger beef than LFC does with Barca).
06/07 Gianluca Zambrotta (Juve) Eidur Gudjohnsen (Chel$ki)

Couple years before that, you got Samuel Eto'o, and Deco. The year prior Ronaldinho.

Sorry man....Barcelona buy more than their fair share of stars. It may not seem like it to you, but they have quite a list going there. Not all those guys ended up super-stars.....but everyone of those guys were tearing it up for their team, and when they were a 'hot item' Barca came a' calling.

Hopefully we don't add Coutinho to that list...although it's not looking good for us LFC fans.

You've got to be kidding me.

I count 1 or 2 players per season. If you count Andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer, Vermaelen, Alex Song, Hleb, Eidur as star players or what? I mean every team makes at least 3-4 transfers a season. You've named like 20 players for 10 seasons. Is that excessive or needless buying? From all the top teams I bet Barcelona is one of the teams that makes the least transfers.

It's pretty normal if you're a top 5 team in the world you try to buy 1 or maybe 2 possible future stars, otherwise you'll lose your reigns pretty soon. I have no idea what you're trying to prove here at all.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#744 » by jirrit » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:02 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

They may not buy everyone. But, they can pretty much have their pick.

Off course but what else do you expect? The buy-out guys always go to the teams contending. The contending teams in soccer also try to buy the best players available but they totally don't buy excessively at all, certainly not when you compare it to other top teams. Messi, Iniesta, Pique, Busquets, Sergi Roberto, all players who start and they are from their own youth. Not even talking about Deulofeu, Rafinha, Samper, Masip, Albi (he's originally from Barca youth).
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#745 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:23 pm

....and before that, you had Saviola, Marc Overmars (poor Arsenal), and Figo...and of course the OG Ronaldo.
You have guys like Rivaldo, Kluivert, Lopez, Giovanni, Deco, Yaya Tore, peppered in there. Some others as well.

This is where it's hard to root for Barcelona...and it is enjoyable to finally see a top-notch star in his prime *gasp* walk out the door, and into anothers arms (to be fair....Figo did the ultimate middle-finger and went to RM...but that was many years ago). Their spoiled fanbase going around trying to convince everyone they're just another blue-collar squad like the rest of them. Sheesh. As a Liverpool fan...I at least take my blinders off now and then, and know that the Sunderlands and the WestHams, and lower italian and dutch sides have many reasons to hate us. We see good players and we poach em. But at least when we go after a player, you have Arsenal, ManU, Tottenham, Atl-Madrid, several italian, and german, sides to compete with.

And of course we have Chel$ki and Man $ity and a couple big international squads who pluck from us on a regular basis. But waaaaaaayy up at the top of the perch sit Barcelona and R-Madrid. They get what they want, when they want. Almost everytime. Coutinho may not go this summer (I bet he will)....but he'll be gone the next, if they still want him.

But it's always rich to run into Barca and RM and ChelSki fans who think they have it tough like the rest of us. So thanks for making my day. So sorry to hear you actually LOST a player you didn't just toss down the mountain for the rest of us, for the first time in 15-20 years. Hopefully that won't become a habit....cause I'd hate to see Spain go from a 2-horse race every year to just 1.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#746 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:45 pm

I remember this Yankee fan making the same arguments. Because Jeeter was home-grown, and that dumpy-butt catcher, and a couple others....it somehow negates this vast history of spending like twice any other team for decades. You just sorta roll your eyes at some point. Gotta love Yankee fans.

At least they've been brought down to Earth recently.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#747 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:52 pm

Oh look! We rejected the 2nd bid. $100mil with bonus' wasn't enough! Stay strong LFC!!

It's a matter of time before Phillipe demands to be traded...but until then, it's like the scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where Veruca's dad is trying to buy one of the golden-egg geese from Wonka....and just starts ripping off numbers as he's writing a check. Too funny.

The season can't start soon enough! We need to get his head back onto the pitch. Hopefully we have a good season, and make a nice dent in the CL.

If we don't qualify next year.....he's as good as gone
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#748 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:04 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I remember this Yankee fan making the same arguments. Because Jeeter was home-grown, and that dumpy-butt catcher, and a couple others....it somehow negates this vast history of spending like twice any other team for decades. You just sorta roll your eyes at some point. Gotta love Yankee fans.

At one time I felt that way for the Lakers. It's nice to see them go through a rebuild for once. :P

I kid.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#749 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:09 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Oh look! We rejected the 2nd bid. $100mil with bonus' wasn't enough! Stay strong LFC!!

It's a matter of time before Phillipe demands to be traded...but until then, it's like the scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where Veruca's dad is trying to buy one of the golden-egg geese from Wonka....and just starts ripping off numbers as he's writing a check. Too funny.

The season can't start soon enough! We need to get his head back onto the pitch. Hopefully we have a good season, and make a nice dent in the CL.

If we don't qualify next year.....he's as good as gone

He's gone at some point. If not now, then next summer. :(
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#750 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:I remember this Yankee fan making the same arguments. Because Jeeter was home-grown, and that dumpy-butt catcher, and a couple others....it somehow negates this vast history of spending like twice any other team for decades. You just sorta roll your eyes at some point. Gotta love Yankee fans.

At one time I felt that way for the Lakers. It's nice to see them go through a rebuild for once. :P

I kid.

Spoiler:
But, not really! :wink:

Hey....I hear it. The Lakers were kinda that team for a while. People often just remember the 10 titles that we won since 1980, but what often gets overlooked are the 5-6 title losses we had too. So yeah, we've been at top alot for the last 35 years, no doubt.

It's a little different with the Salary cap, but for a long time there, we were definitely able to absorb that luxury tax a bit more than most. Although...I will say, that if you look back throughout the years...the Lakers rarely (if ever) were actually the #1 payroll.

But to your point....I do think Laker fans needed a slap. It's nice to shed some of the 'fairweather' guys. One thing I noticed, that I'm sure your prob going through: the fairweather guys always seem to have the biggest mouths. They make the die-hards look bad. The folks that sat through lean years tend to be a little more appreciative...and a little more humble.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#751 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:05 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I kid.

Spoiler:
But, not really! :wink:

Hey....I hear it. The Lakers were kinda that team for a while. People often just remember the 10 titles that we won since 1980, but what often gets overlooked are the 5-6 title losses we had too. So yeah, we've been at top alot for the last 35 years, no doubt.

It's a little different with the Salary cap, but for a long time there, we were definitely able to absorb that luxury tax a bit more than most. Although...I will say, that if you look back throughout the years...the Lakers rarely (if ever) were actually the #1 payroll.

But to your point....I do think Laker fans needed a slap. It's nice to shed some of the 'fairweather' guys. One thing I noticed, that I'm sure your prob going through: the fairweather guys always seem to have the biggest mouths. They make the die-hards look bad. The folks that sat through lean years tend to be a little more appreciative...and a little more humble.

Same goes for Liverpool. The club hasn't exactly won a lot of trophies lately.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#752 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Same goes for Liverpool. The club hasn't exactly won a lot of trophies lately. But, we're still here! :D

True that. It certainly would be nice to see us hoist ol' big ears at least once a decade. This 27-28 year drought sucks big time. Obviously more would be better.....but if we were winning a title every 8-10 years...I'd be pretty damn happy. Either way, they're my boys. Root for em no matter what.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#753 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Same goes for Liverpool. The club hasn't exactly won a lot of trophies lately. But, we're still here! :D

True that. It certainly would be nice to see us hoist ol' big ears at least once a decade. This 27-28 year drought sucks big time. Obviously more would be better.....but if we were winning a title every 8-10 years...I'd be pretty damn happy. Either way, they're my boys. Root for em no matter what.

YNWA!

:beer:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#754 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:21 am

Cactus Jack wrote: As far as the Warriors success, I can't really speak on that because I am guilty of jumping on the bandwagon myself :lol:. I wasn't exactly there for the tough times.

It's funny...I moved to LA about mid 1981, I was pretty young...but started rooting for the Lakers (to be fair...the ONLY team you could watch on your 7-8 channels back then) almost immediately because my dad watched them. They were our new home-team...and they were pretty damn good. You didn't have anyone else you could watch....so what the heck. I'd say by 1984-85 I was a pretty big Laker fan. I guess that makes me a LITTLE bit of a bandwagon guy?? Lucked into it, I'd say. :lol:

Was born in England. I'd say Technically my "home team" would be Crystal Palace...as that's prob the closest to where I was born (a little south of London)...but I left when I was way too young to care about sports. Somehow, it stuck with me though..and I was always a big soccer guy as a kid. It was pretty damn hard to get games growing up....you'd get random games from time to time. I remember in the 90's you'd start to see them with a little regularity, and I saw Liverpool....thought "oh snap..that's where the Beatles are from" and they also had an American Goalie! (Brad Friedel) so I called them my squad. They had guys like McManaman, and Fowler, and a young Jamie Carragher, and Danny Murphy and Jamie Redknapp....and this was right when Owen and Gerrard were just starting out. I remember the first game I saw Stevie-G. It's so funny....considering all the sh** I forget that's important in life...but I remember watching him come on to the field as a sub...and the announcers were talking about this young kid with a ton of potential. I don't think he did anything of note that game....just kinda held his own.

God I miss those millenial squads. You had Carragher, Henchoz, Hyypia defending, you had Stevie, Biscan, Hammann, Murphy, Smicer at Mid, and Owens, Heskie and Fowler as your strikers. We were pretty damn good...but never good enough.

I also can't believe we never won with that 2006 to 2008 squad. Pepe Reina at goal. Agger, Arbeloa, Carragher, Finnan, Hyypia, Riise, Skrtel at Defense....and listen to this Midfield: Gerrard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Jermain Pennant, Harry kewell and Yossi Benayoun! Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso were all like young...right in their prime too! That's a damn midfield. And then we had Torres, Crouch, Kuyt up front.

If I could take it all back...I woulda spent whatever to get a real Striker to pair with Torres. I can't believe that team didn't win it.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#755 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 am

Arbeloa went to Barca I believe...might have been Madrid. Mascherano to Barca...Alonso to Madrid..Benayoun to Chel$ki, and Torres to Chel$ki too. Really kinda gutted the f** out of us. Seemed like it all happened in like 2 years too.

Started to get good with Suarez....but we know where he ended up. And now here we are edging our way back into the CL only to see good ol Veruca Salts dad showing up with his checkbook. Hurray
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#756 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I also can't believe we never won with that 2006 to 2008 squad. Pepe Reina at goal. Agger, Arbeloa, Carragher, Finnan, Hyypia, Riise, Skrtel at Defense....and listen to this Midfield: Gerrard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Jermain Pennant, Harry kewell and Yossi Benayoun! Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso were all like young...right in their prime too! That's a damn midfield. And then we had Torres, Crouch, Kuyt up front.

If I could take it all back...I woulda spent whatever to get a real Striker to pair with Torres. I can't believe that team didn't win it.

That team with Torres was my favorite. :love:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#757 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Arbeloa went to Barca I believe...might have been Madrid. Mascherano to Barca...Alonso to Madrid..Benayoun to Chel$ki, and Torres to Chel$ki too. Really kinda gutted the f** out of us. Seemed like it all happened in like 2 years too.

Started to get good with Suarez....but we know where he ended up. And now here we are edging our way back into the CL only to see good ol Veruca Salts dad showing up with his checkbook. Hurray

Well...atleast we have Klopp to keep us entertained! :wink:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#758 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:57 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:Arbeloa went to Barca I believe...might have been Madrid. Mascherano to Barca...Alonso to Madrid..Benayoun to Chel$ki, and Torres to Chel$ki too. Really kinda gutted the f** out of us. Seemed like it all happened in like 2 years too.

Well...atleast we have Klopp to keep us entertained! :wink:

This is true. Either way, we'll be fine. Coutinho is a damn good player, and I really like him...but we've lost better. And we're still here, so it is what it is. If Barca do shell out north of $100mil....we should have a nice spending offseason to follow.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#759 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:13 am

Saturday's game is a 4:30 am start time. Gonna DVR that sucker!
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#760 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Well....Coutinho has gone to management and handed them a transfer request.

Look....I get it. It's Barcelona. It always kinda takes a a piece of you whenever this happens...but it's also something that you just kinda get used to. But 24-hours before the season starts? Come on man. That sucks.

If I'm Klopp I tell him f - no. We won't have time to get other players....etc etc. We'll talk in the winter transfer window...but you can't walk in the day before our run and say you want to leave.

Anyhow.....who didn't see this one coming?

Return to The General Soccer Board