- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Re: Official Team Canada Soccer Thread 

Post#122 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:04 am

Canada's longstanding soccer dilemma is it's amateurism and organizational morass more than a lack of talent.

I remember a friendly with Portugal many years back, in 2005. Canada was coached by Frank Yallop, completely oblivious to the fact that the Portuguese media was openly mocking him for the lack of discipline or method. For instance, upon arriving in Portugal, they had held a single pointless practice the day before the game, in which players kicked the ball around while wearing flip-flop slippers and performed nothing that resembled an actual technical drill. Afterwards, they excused a 4-1 defeat against a mailed-in Portuguese effort, as being inevitable and perfectly understandable.

Little has changed since then.

Looking at the European experience of some of Canada's available talent pool, they should be achieving well above the standards of recent decades. Right behind Mexico and the US. Holger Osieck and Benito Floro were mediocre coaches by international standards, unfit for coaching in the top division of any continental league, but still managed some level of improvement during their tenure.

An average and experienced European coach with a broad scope of powers would do wonders.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#123 » by Matty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:07 am

TBH when you play Alphonso Davies at wing back you deserve to get spanked by Haiti.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,752

Post#124 » by metafisical » Wed Sep 2, 2020 10:05 pm

I am excited for the CONCACAF Qatar 2022 qualifiers in March and June 2021. Canada is in Group B with Suriname, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Aruba. I can't wait for some Team Canada games! I think we are expected to advance.

We then play against the winners of Group E, which will most likely be Haiti.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#125 » by metafisical » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:02 am

Canada v. Bermuda. March 25. 8 pm EST. Playing in Orlando Exploria Stadium. Better win.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by metafisical » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:10 am

Canada 5 - Bermuda 1. This win puts Canada on the same level as the best South American and European teams, I don't care.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#127 » by Kenter16 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 am

metafisical wrote:Canada 5 - Bermuda 1. This win puts Canada on the same level as the best South American and European teams, I don't care.
Totally. We would crush Brazil and Germany. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#128 » by HIF » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:05 am

Kenter16 wrote:
metafisical wrote:Canada 5 - Bermuda 1. This win puts Canada on the same level as the best South American and European teams, I don't care.
Totally. We would crush Brazil and Germany. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app

and San marino
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#129 » by fbalmeida » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:22 pm

Now we need to thrash Panama to cover the "countries named after pieces of clothing" bases.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by metafisical » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:05 am

I am here to provide some expert analysis on Canada's next game and make a game thread: we play the Cayman Islands, I think. We better win. It's on Sunday. Any questions?
HIF
RealGM

Post#131 » by HIF » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 am

metafisical wrote:I am here to provide some expert analysis on Canada's next game and make a game thread: we play the Cayman Islands, I think. We better win. It's on Sunday. Any questions?

How many centimetres are Canada from winning the world cup?

metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by metafisical » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:14 am

HIF wrote:
metafisical wrote:I am here to provide some expert analysis on Canada's next game and make a game thread: we play the Cayman Islands, I think. We better win. It's on Sunday. Any questions?

How many centimetres are Canada from winning the world cup?

Yes.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#133 » by metafisical » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:45 pm

Yesterday's earth-shaking game between Canada and Cayman Islands was postponed to today, due to the use of non-standard COVID-19 tests for the Cayman Islands players. Game will be played today. Canada will be missing Atiba Hutchinson (DNP-old; kidding -- he has club commitments back at Turkey).

The winner of this game, Canada, should probably be crowned World Cup champs already. I already said we were better than any other team in the world. This game will just cement that.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by metafisical » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:06 am

Canada 11 - Cayman Islands 0.
GOAT soccer team in history.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,289

Post#135 » by Shaazzam » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm

Canada! **** yeah!
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by metafisical » Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 am

June 5 - Canada vs. Aruba (possibly a better match than any in World Cup history)
June 8 - Canada vs. Suriname (probably among the top 3 greatest sports matches of all time)
June 12 and 15 - Canada? vs. Haiti? (people generations from now may look at this home and away series as changing the course of sports history -- if Canada is in it, of course)
HIF
RealGM

Post#137 » by HIF » Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 am

metafisical wrote:June 5 - Canada vs. Aruba (possibly a better match than any in World Cup history)
June 8 - Canada vs. Suriname (probably among the top 3 greatest sports matches of all time)
June 12 and 15 - Canada? vs. Haiti? (people generations from now may look at this home and away series as changing the course of sports history -- if Canada is in it, of course)

:lol:

metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by metafisical » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:16 pm

Canada (GOAT) vs. Aruba tonight. Must/will win for Canada. Setting the stage for Suriname vs. CANADA this coming Tuesday to decide who will play against Group E winners (Haiti? Nicaragua?).

I am about to poo my pants because I am so excited.
metafisical
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by metafisical » Tue Jun 8, 2021 3:05 pm

Reading my posts, you can definitely conclude that I am immature and silly. But seriously though, if we do not tie or win in today's game against Suriname, I will be very disappointed and sad. I will be embarrassed to post in this thread for at least 4 years until the 2026 World Cup. No, I don't care about the Gold Cup this summer.

Just like my 'Debbie Downer' thoughts during the Raptors championship run, if Canada loses today, I will seriously consider punching my own balls 100 times. Well, definitely once, at least.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#140 » by Schad » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:05 am

Canada has a non-negligible chance of reaching the World Cup, which is significantly better than the chances Canada has had of reaching any other World Cup for quite some time now. The attacking talent is among the best in CONCACAF, though the defense is questionable and central midfield is best described as scrappy, give or take an s.

They rate as favourites against Haiti, though not prohibitive ones, and should be competitive in the Octagonal if they advance...Costa Rica is a very old side and it shows, and Canada's overall talent level stacks up reasonably well with Jamaica, and well against the likes of Honduras/Panama/El Salvador. I probably wouldn't bet on them qualifying, but neither would it be an enormous upset if they did.
**** your asterisk.

Return to The General Soccer Board