G.O.A.T

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who is the greatest of all time? (in terms of overall career not peaks.)

Zidane
13%
Maradona
20%
Pele
16%
Cruyff
4%
Ronaldo(Brazil)
7%
Messi
27%
Zico
No votes
Platini
2%
Gerd Muller
4%
Beckenbauer
7%

Total votes: 55

Blank_Name
Banned User
And1: 5

Re: G.O.A.T 

Post#41 » by Blank_Name » Fri Feb 8, 2013 7:28 am

When is the last time Messi scored a big goal?

I'll wait
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#42 » by ardee » Fri Feb 8, 2013 11:02 am

Blank_Name wrote:When is the last time Messi scored a big goal?

I'll wait

Thank you. At least someone else is realizing that he has flopped again and again in big games for the last two years.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#43 » by Mirjalovic » Fri Feb 8, 2013 11:36 am

But i still wonder, i've seen so many worldclass striker, & no one can touch Messi/CR goal-record
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#44 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Feb 8, 2013 12:11 pm

ardee wrote:

I'll wait

Thank you. At least someone else is realizing that he has flopped again and again in big games for the last two years.

He scored 2 in "el clasico" earlier this year. He also scored in the CL final against Man U. He scored in the Copa Del Rey final against Madrid even though he lost. Come on, Messi is not a choker.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Re: messi 

Post#45 » by Next Coming » Fri Feb 8, 2013 6:15 pm

iago89 wrote:who thinks thath messi in another league would not be the best?

Can't do it against Stoke on a rainy day.
Blank_Name
Banned User

Post#46 » by Blank_Name » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 am

I'll wait

Still waiting

CR7 > lil midget
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#47 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 am

I don't know. He did score a goal against Man U in the CL final while "Big gme" Ronaldo did not. I have no beef with CR7, but this idea that Messi chokes is ludicrous.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#48 » by Man of Steel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 am

Messi doesn't choke. He did last year against Chelsea, and he did today, but IMO that's not enough to call him a choker when he's scored so many in the UCL and against Madrid. Ronaldo, though, has long since shaken that image. Can't remember the last big game we've had where he didn't score or assist.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#49 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:49 am

Agreed. Someone who has scored some many CL goals and has won the damn thing twice can't be considered a choker.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#50 » by EArl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 am

Blank_Name wrote:

I'll wait

Still waiting

CR7 > lil midget

I like both players but you are obviously very biased against him. So your opinion doesn't fare well.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Man of Steel » Sat Mar 2, 2013 2:52 am

I dunno if it's just having Roura as manager that's affecting Barcelona but I think it's fair to say Messi has been neutralized for the last couple of weeks. One could certainly say he has choked in his games against Milan and Madrid.
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#52 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Mar 2, 2013 3:44 am

There is a difference between being neutralized and choking. Those teams are parking the bus in front of the goal and disrupting the game for Barcelona, not just Messi. Not much he can do there. I doubt Ronaldo could have done much better if the switched places.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#53 » by Foye » Sat Mar 2, 2013 2:03 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:There is a difference between being neutralized and choking. Those teams are parking the bus in front of the goal and disrupting the game for Barcelona, not just Messi. Not much he can do there. I doubt Ronaldo could have done much better if the switched places.

This.

A physical striker such as Ibrahimovic or Falcao might've made a difference (if Barcelona would actually decide to make crosses in the penalty area).

Ronaldo would've probably not made much of a difference in those games against Milan and RM.
Surely, he might've caused some trouble on the wings but with the poor play of Cesc, Iniesta and Xavi I don't think they would've scored considering Ronaldo probably wouldn't have had any good chances (other than on set pieces of course!) to score with at least 2 if not 3 defenders always right on his feet.

When the opponent is parking the bus crosses are the best and easiest way to score a goal. Kinda like that Müller goal in the CL final. Didn't work out too well in the end but that's the way you can score on teams that are parking the bus.

Even if you don't score directly you'll get corners, or rebound chances out of those crosses. Much better chance to score than trying to tiki-taka your way through 11 defenders unless you are brilliant at it (which Barca is not currently).
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Man of Steel » Sat Mar 2, 2013 4:41 pm

This second half has been much more open than the first, where he scored. Messi's fouled Essien but I can't remember anything else he did this half. If parking the bus is the problem then that's something tactical that the coach should adjust but until he does, it's on Messi to adapt. In situations where he usually scores, (i.e. vs 1 defender), he tries to go straight for goal instead of going side to side and leaving the defender behind. In the last three 'big games' it's resulted in 2 shots on target, one goal, in what's looking like three losses now. So it's not just the fact that he's being marked by too many players.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#55 » by 5DOM » Sat Mar 2, 2013 5:03 pm

Foye wrote:
J-Mezzy wrote:There is a difference between being neutralized and choking. Those teams are parking the bus in front of the goal and disrupting the game for Barcelona, not just Messi. Not much he can do there. I doubt Ronaldo could have done much better if the switched places.

This.

A physical striker such as Ibrahimovic or Falcao might've made a difference (if Barcelona would actually decide to make crosses in the penalty area).

Ronaldo would've probably not made much of a difference in those games against Milan and RM.
Surely, he might've caused some trouble on the wings but with the poor play of Cesc, Iniesta and Xavi I don't think they would've scored considering Ronaldo probably wouldn't have had any good chances (other than on set pieces of course!) to score with at least 2 if not 3 defenders always right on his feet.

When the opponent is parking the bus crosses are the best and easiest way to score a goal. Kinda like that Müller goal in the CL final. Didn't work out too well in the end but that's the way you can score on teams that are parking the bus.

Even if you don't score directly you'll get corners, or rebound chances out of those crosses. Much better chance to score than trying to tiki-taka your way through 11 defenders unless you are brilliant at it (which Barca is not currently).

Funny you say that, because Ronaldo is one of the best headers of the ball in the game. People usually focus on his pace, but his aerial ability and long shots can be huge assets against teams parking the bus.

I don't think Messi "choked", but being "neutralized" hardly works in his favour either. There's not much he can do when Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas are not doing well? Maybe we should discount Messi's brilliance when those three are doing well then. Surely it should go both ways
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,917

Post#56 » by cgf » Sat Mar 2, 2013 6:02 pm

It's not Messi's fault he's no Gerd Mueller and capable of scoring any goal against any defense. :-D
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Blank_Name
Banned User

Post#57 » by Blank_Name » Sat Mar 2, 2013 7:15 pm

Comparing Messi with Zidane, looks pretty damn comical at this point

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2
J-Mezzy
RealGM

Post#58 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Mar 2, 2013 7:52 pm

The funny thing is that despite all the heat you guys are giving him, he's still having a better year than Ronaldo. He pretty won la liga already and is having a better statistical season than Ronaldo. Maybe CR7 can rescue their season by winning the CL, but beating Man U at home will not be easy.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#59 » by Slava » Sat Mar 2, 2013 7:53 pm

:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Man of Steel » Sat Mar 2, 2013 8:29 pm

Facts are facts. When Iniesta and Xavi aren't performing, he doesn't score. I know Alves assisted his goal, but when Iniesta slowed down in the second half, the entire Barcelona attack did with him, and Messi's disappearance in the second half today, as well as numerous other games, attests to that. There was no individual brilliance from him to spark a victory.

Can't say we parked the bus either, the second half was completely open attack with only four back; Modric and Pepe (our CDMs) pushed forward and threaded passes through constantly. Varane and Ramos were consistently staving off the majority of the Barca attacks.

CR's substitution on today completely changed the way RM played, and clearly for the better. His pace and skill on the ball created a chance literally a minute after he came on. Before it, they were clearly playing for the draw, while after they made attempt after attempt, and it paid off on the corner.

Comparing either one with Zidane (the real GOAT) is comical, but when it get's to be this often that Messi is "neutralized", it's less about defending tactics and more about how he can't respond to them. CR shouldered more than enough of the blame for our poor La Liga performance this year, despite the fact that he's scored goals in spades. IMHO a better gauge of "choking" is how you perform against the best competition, and CR has been better at that for two years in a row now.

Return to The General Soccer Board