2014 FIFA World Cup: Group G (GER/POR/GHA/USA)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Who advances from Group G?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:18 am

Germany
45%
Portugal
25%
Ghana
8%
USA
22%

Total votes: 249

TheKingofSting2
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup: Group G (GER/POR/GHA/USA) 

Post#1821 » by TheKingofSting2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 am

"It is better to be lucky than good." - USA
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#1822 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 am

Matty wrote:Julian Green is the future of American soccer, for those of you who still doubt him

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_M_g72V8Y[/youtube]

When both Bayern's Pep and German's coach Low see something in you, your a pretty big deal.

Maybe he's the future, but he's not the present. He was already tied to the US so he could have been left off the final 23. He looked very weak in the friendlies prior to WC, it's folly to say he beat anyone out. Here in the US we like to say it's not your pedigree, or who you are, it's what you do. It's meritocracy. Green did not merit inclusion. I assume it was a kind of bargain - choose the US and we'll bring you to Brazil. He wasn't going to Brazil with Germany, that's for sure.

I'm excited about his future with the team, and I don't begrudge Klinsmann's choices - he can pick whoever he wants, for whatever reason he wants. And the team has advanced out of group stage, credit to him. But in no way did Green earn or "deserve" his spot on the roster. He's woefully unprepared for the big stage at this time. But maybe this is a cultural difference, where we root for the underdogs, the un-pedigreed, the hard workers who scratch and claw - guys like Beckerman. We don't give a crap where you come from or who has given you their stamp of approval.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1823 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:01 am

TheKingofSting wrote:"It is better to be lucky than good." - USA

Mexico is lucky. Portugal was lucky. US earned its way here by handily winning their qualifying group - which sent three teams to the final 16 - and finishing with the second most points in group stage. If anything the US was very unlucky not to advance last weekend, vs. Portugal.

US is ranked #13 in the world so it shouldn't be so surprising for them to be a part of the final 16. I think people still think of the US as being not a soccer country, or looking at the team years ago as being the same as today. That's fine. Underestimate at your own risk :)
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#1824 » by Matty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
Matty wrote:Julian Green is the future of American soccer, for those of you who still doubt him

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_M_g72V8Y[/youtube]

When both Bayern's Pep and German's coach Low see something in you, your a pretty big deal.

Maybe he's the future, but he's not the present. He was already tied to the US so he could have been left off the final 23. He looked very weak in the friendlies prior to WC, it's folly to say he beat anyone out. Here in the US we like to say it's not your pedigree, or who you are, it's what you do. It's meritocracy. Green did not merit inclusion. I assume it was a kind of bargain - choose the US and we'll bring you to Brazil. He wasn't going to Brazil with Germany, that's for sure.

I'm excited about his future with the team, and I don't begrudge Klinsmann's choices - he can pick whoever he wants, for whatever reason he wants. And the team has advanced out of group stage, credit to him. But in no way did Green earn or "deserve" his spot on the roster. He's woefully unprepared for the big stage at this time. But maybe this is a cultural difference, where we root for the underdogs, the un-pedigreed, the hard workers who scratch and claw - guys like Beckerman. We don't give a crap where you come from or who has given you their stamp of approval.

That's cool if you don't agree with Jurgen's decision to pick the kid. Maybe he's seen something in him during training camp that we the public didn't. Maybe he showed more in training camp than what he's shown so far in his 2 caps with the team. But again, its only been 2 international appearances, and 2 of them as subs. If your judging him off of that I'm sorry to say not every 18 years old getting his debut for his national team is going to be spectacular. It's just the way it is. Not everyone is going to be a Messi and be an instant impact right away.

Anthony Davis didn't play a single game in the NBA but was given a chance to be apart of the Olympic team. Where is the meritocracy in that? He dominanted a bunch of college players. Big whoop.

Now in a tournament that lasts for about a month, at best only 18 of the 23 players will actually get to see the pitch, 5 won't. If your a team like the US who don't produce many young talent like Germany or Brazil, you can't afford to ignore developing the very scarce talent you have, which means getting them involved on the senior team as soon as possible. It's a simple reality. You need these kids to be a part of the system even if that means minimal involvement. Why waste that final roster spot on a player in his prime that will never be a part of the core anyways? I don't understand why its hard for you guys to comprehend this simple fact that the 23rd roster spot was never, ever going to be used by the coach. That roster spot is there because FIFA demands it . The 23rd player might as well be a random guy from Idaho whose never kicked a ball in his life. At the end of the day a team really only needs 18 players but every team has to bring 23 guys to Brazil because it is part of the rules.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1825 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 am

Again, I don't begrudge the inclusion but also I think it's a fair criticism that we didn't bring anyone that could fill in for Jozy's role when he went down.

I definitely want him getting together with the squad, playing friendlies, playing in the lesser cups. IDK how beneficial it is to just be around the main guys and not playing - I think most believe it was more part of a deal rather than a development plan. In order to develop you need to play. If it helps Green simply being a part of the spectical, around the guys, great, we'll take it. But no American I don't think plans to paricipate in any big tournament with the goal not to win as much as possible, wanting to treat it as a practice time for the future.

I do hope he becomes a star for the US but also, we have heard that tune before, we'll believe it when we see it.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1826 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:32 am

I want to see more Junior Flores, when does he get the call up? :)
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1827 » by and1GS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm

FWIW there is no other player in US soccer right now that can fill Jozys role as a strong holding forward. Bringing EJ, a get the ball and run player, would not have solved this nor would bringing Donovan.

A huge problem with American football is and always has been a complete lack of pace, flair and attacking talent on the wings. Proven or not, that's what Green does. Takes risks and takes people on while playing as a true winger. I think EJ would have been a better choice to fill that role, but I see where coach was coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1828 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Yeah, Eddie Johnson, Juan Agudelo might be my choices if I need someone to specifically back up Jozy. Hopefully Jozy is back Tuesday but call me skeptical.

Again, I don't have a problem with Klinsmann choosing whoever he wants. But it's a fair criticism that 1) Julian Green is not ready to produce, and 2) it might be really useful to have an Eddie Johnson or Juan Agudelo fill in for Jozy, at least some, while he's been out.

Maybe if you really want Green, you take him along with one of these two and leave Wondo home - he is more replaceable with Johannsson in the final 23 anyway.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1829 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:03 pm

And Green, he is just too skinny and weak, loses possession way too easily. I'm afraid he's gonna get injured out there, playing with the big boys :)
TheKingofSting2
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Post#1830 » by TheKingofSting2 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 am

Twinkie defense wrote:

Mexico is lucky. Portugal was lucky. US earned its way here by handily winning their qualifying group - which sent three teams to the final 16 - and finishing with the second most points in group stage. If anything the US was very unlucky not to advance last weekend, vs. Portugal.

US is ranked #13 in the world so it shouldn't be so surprising for them to be a part of the final 16. I think people still think of the US as being not a soccer country, or looking at the team years ago as being the same as today. That's fine. Underestimate at your own risk :)

Getting a big piece to the puzzle back will help, I hope for the best for us.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,290

Post#1831 » by Wooderson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:18 pm

That's pretty rich coming from a fan of Mexico - who wouldn't even be in Brazil if not for the US winning a qualifying match they didn't even need :wink: .
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1832 » by and1GS » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Yeah, Eddie Johnson, Juan Agudelo might be my choices if I need someone to specifically back up Jozy. Hopefully Jozy is back Tuesday but call me skeptical.

Again, I don't have a problem with Klinsmann choosing whoever he wants. But it's a fair criticism that 1) Julian Green is not ready to produce, and 2) it might be really useful to have an Eddie Johnson or Juan Agudelo fill in for Jozy, at least some, while he's been out.

Maybe if you really want Green, you take him along with one of these two and leave Wondo home - he is more replaceable with Johannsson in the final 23 anyway.

Agreed. I'm still holding out hope for Agudelo - I've seen flickers of absolute brilliance, but his club career has been up in the air for so long.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#1833 » by Point forward » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:22 pm

KP Boateng has given his account of the disappointing Ghana campaign. He states that the entire organisation was incompetent from start to finish:
* Training camp facilities "featured" damp, water-ravaged rooms
* The players were forced to travel Economy class, while the politicians travelled Business Class
* Players and politicians accused each other of lying, no team spirit
* He was informed of his suspension by a paper slid under his door
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#1834 » by El Turco » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 pm

best part of that soap opera is that they transferred 3 million dollars in cash for the bonuses by plane. minor miracle that didn't turn into another malaysia airline.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#1835 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 am

Does the fact that Mexico was beating undefeated Netherlands until the 88th minute do anything to the standing of the US?

I know it's the old....the team we beat, just beat a really good team, does that mean we are really good??

And I know it's not the same since Mexico didn't beat the Netherlands...but some have mentioned before....Talent really starts to show at the second stage. It's more about Talent at this point.

And if Mexico had the talent to almost knock off an undefeated Netherlands team, and Mexico is our level of competition, does it show that maybe the US team isn't a bunch of piss poor inferior players as is often accepted?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Re: AW: 2014 FIFA World Cup: Group G (GER/POR/GHA/USA) 

Post#1836 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 am

El Belgian wrote:best part of that soap opera is that they transferred 3 million dollars in cash for the bonuses by plane. minor miracle that didn't turn into another malaysia airline.

Really?! Man, African teams never fail to produce entertaining stories :lol:
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Maex
Senior
And1: 180

Post#1837 » by Maex » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:32 am

HKPackFan wrote:Does the fact that Mexico was beating undefeated Netherlands until the 88th minute do anything to the standing of the US?

I know it's the old....the team we beat, just beat a really good team, does that mean we are really good??

And I know it's not the same since Mexico didn't beat the Netherlands...but some have mentioned before....Talent really starts to show at the second stage. It's more about Talent at this point.

And if Mexico had the talent to almost knock off an undefeated Netherlands team, and Mexico is our level of competition, does it show that maybe the US team isn't a bunch of piss poor inferior players as is often accepted?

That's sounds a bit desperate.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,280

Post#1838 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 am

Maex wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:Does the fact that Mexico was beating undefeated Netherlands until the 88th minute do anything to the standing of the US?

That's sounds a bit desperate.

:) I'm sure it does. But it reminds me of the logic people use when judging their college conference. Like for example Wisconsin, in the Big Ten when watching how the rest of the teams performed outside the conference, gives some added perspective. Or rooting for all the teams in your conference to do well, to have the satisfaction your level of competition is rather strong.

I know I felt somewhat good to see Costa Rica and Mexico perform well. If that makes any sense...
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to The General Soccer Board