Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: Official Arsenal FC Thread 3.0 

Post#1501 » by El Turco » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 pm

I thought arsenal was a football club, not a hedge fund
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,935

Post#1502 » by Fury » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:23 am

To Kroenke it basically is
El Turco

Post#1503 » by El Turco » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:37 am

Hard to blame him, he seems to have found perfect sucker fanbase.

"Hey prez we dont care about being irrelevant for almost a decade, just charge us exuberant prices at the gate and we'll feel like a big club"

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

Post#1504 » by Baphomet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:17 am

I don't think any Arse fan has said anything like that.

To be fair to the goons, and I'm not very often, the fans loathe the high ticket prices and often cite the discrepancy between price and on-pitch product/signings. It's all I ever hear them complaining about, honestly. What choice do they have but to accept it? The fans want to stick by their club, it's not like they're going to stop supporting them because the club is stingily run. Protests wouldn't do much good at this point.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#1505 » by Matty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 am

Fury wrote:To Kroenke it basically is

Is is really Kroenke or is it just Wenger's stubborn old ways? He said it himself that he could spend 300 million but only for the right "quality", so I don't know how you can blame anybody else but the manager.

I'm sure Gazidis and Co. are still laughing straight to the bank but judge them under different managerial conditions. A hard-line boss is not going to bother thinking about paying employees at the club.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,935

Post#1506 » by Fury » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:26 am

Matty wrote:
Fury wrote:To Kroenke it basically is

Is is really Kroenke or is it just Wenger's stubborn old ways? He said it himself that he could spend 300 million but only for the right "quality", so I don't know how you can blame anybody else but the manager.

I'm sure Gazidis and Co. are still laughing straight to the bank but judge them under different managerial conditions. A hard-line boss is not going to bother thinking about paying employees at the club.

It's definitely a bit of both.
El Turco

Post#1507 » by El Turco » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:15 am

Baphomet wrote:I don't think any Arse fan has said anything like that.

To be fair to the goons, and I'm not very often, the fans loathe the high ticket prices and often cite the discrepancy between price and on-pitch product/signings. It's all I ever hear them complaining about, honestly. What choice do they have but to accept it? The fans want to stick by their club, it's not like they're going to stop supporting them because the club is stingily run. Protests wouldn't do much good at this point.

why wouldnt some backlash have impact? instead of making delusional excuses about the club by saying their profit margins and high ticket prices makes them a big club(see previous page btw), put that effort into putting pressure on the ownership. if ticket prices are so high, stop going to the games and putting more money into cheap owners coffers. just about every milan fan i know said they would stop going to the games and spend money on the team until berlusconi sold it, it got to a point where milan was playing with less spectators than handball clubs at times. once it became apparent that team wasnt going to generate enough revenue to run it even like a mid table team, he had to sell the team despite saying every year he would never sell it. mind you this backlash came against an owner that gave the team 5 european titles and at a club that historically had much bigger stature than arsenal.

i never understood the idea that pointing out the shortcomings of something you love somehow diminishes your support for it. same thing bothers me when people are called unpatriotic when they speak out against something that is going wrong in their country.

NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1508 » by NYCLaker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Seems odd that Jack is leaving on loan, when Arsenal are such an injury prone team and need everyone available...
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,310

Post#1509 » by MaliBrah » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 pm

Arda K wrote:
Baphomet wrote:I don't think any Arse fan has said anything like that.

why wouldnt some backlash have impact? instead of making delusional excuses about the club by saying their profit margins and high ticket prices makes them a big club(see previous page btw), put that effort into putting pressure on the ownership. if ticket prices are so high, stop going to the games and putting more money into cheap owners coffers. just about every milan fan i know said they would stop going to the games and spend money on the team until berlusconi sold it, it got to a point where milan was playing with less spectators than handball clubs at times. once it became apparent that team wasnt going to generate enough revenue to run it even like a mid table team, he had to sell the team despite saying every year he would never sell it. mind you this backlash came against an owner that gave the team 5 european titles and at a club that historically had much bigger stature than arsenal.

i never understood the idea that pointing out the shortcomings of something you love somehow diminishes your support for it. same thing bothers me when people are called unpatriotic when they speak out against something that is going wrong in their country.

I fully agree that we have a largely delusional set of supporters that are against protesting or too lazy to protest. Honestly though even if fans stop going season ticket lineup's are insane and tourists and fans will still flock in. There's just too may pigeons lol. Make no mistake though , there are a lot of people sick of it all though.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1510 » by Baphomet » Fri Sep 2, 2016 1:19 pm

Even if a significant portion of Arsenal fans do decide to protest prices/ownership by not going to matches, they will still fill those seats one way or another, which Mali touched on. The owners know this, the fans know this. That's what I meant by protests not doing much good. Local fanbase or football tourists/plastics, it's all the same to Kroenke and Gazidis. Arsenal could turn into a soulless husk of a club like Man City and they wouldn't blink so long as the revenue and top 4 status quo remains. The diehard fans (for lack of a better term) do not hold enough sway to really change anything anymore, even if their attendance bottomed out.

Milan is an interesting comparison, but attendance for the Serie A has been very low overall in recent years anyway and a portion of Milan fans not showing up and compounding the issue has a far larger impact: it's a much more efficient means of protest. The situation is a little different to Arsenal.
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1511 » by MaliBrah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Previous 12 games with Giroud starting , 14 goals scored.
Last 12 games without him.... 32 goals scored.

Staggering
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#1512 » by WorldBeFree » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:53 pm

I think wenger tried earlier to play this kind of offense but injuries hold him back. So he had to play Giroud

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#1513 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1514 » by MaliBrah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:10 pm

We had no choice tbh , he was at the end of his deal. He was always hurt for us and couldn't cut it on loan , sucks that his contract situation lined up perfectly to when he was healthy again but hey i'm happy for him.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#1515 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:20 am

Fortunate to get the draw, not a good performance.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#1516 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:39 am

Arsene just can't beat Mourinho no matter how bad the season is going for Mourinho.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1517 » by Baphomet » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Giroud actually looks like Arsenal's most potent goal threat again these days. It's bizarre how quickly things can change.
jacbobbutler
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#1518 » by jacbobbutler » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:12 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:Arsene just can't beat Mourinho no matter how bad the season is going for Mourinho.

Yeah :( really wasn't good game. Surprised it ended as a draw
My basketball Journey Blog : http://kellypandora.wixsite.com/basketball
MaliBrah
RealGM

Post#1519 » by MaliBrah » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Baphomet wrote:Giroud actually looks like Arsenal's most potent goal threat again these days. It's bizarre how quickly things can change.

his goals per min stats coming off the bench have always been great tbh. But when he starts.... ugh :banghead:
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1520 » by HIF » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:40 pm

MaliBrah wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Giroud actually looks like Arsenal's most potent goal threat again these days. It's bizarre how quickly things can change.

his goals per min stats coming off the bench have always been great tbh. But when he starts.... ugh :banghead:

still he's clearly a better strike option than walcott and Oxlade chamberlain.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:

Return to The General Soccer Board