2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 am

The Asian section of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification acts as qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, to be held in Russia, for national teams which are members of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC). A total of 4.5 slots (4 direct slots and 1 inter-confederation play-off slot) in the final tournament are available for AFC teams.

On 16 April 2014, the AFC Executive Committee approved a proposal to merge the preliminary qualification rounds of the FIFA World Cup and the AFC Asian Cup, which will be expanded to 24 teams starting in 2019. Therefore, the first two rounds of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers also act as qualifiers for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.

Format

The qualification structure is as follows:

First round: A total of 12 teams (teams ranked 35–46) will play home-and-away over two legs. The six winners will advance to the second round.
Second round: A total of 40 teams (teams ranked 1–34 and six first round winners) will be divided into eight groups of five teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The eight group winners and the four best group runners-up will advance to the third round of FIFA World Cup qualification as well as qualify for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup finals.
Third round: The 12 teams (an increase from 10 for 2014) which advance from the second round will be divided into two groups of six teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The top two teams of each group will qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, and the two third-placed teams will advance to the fourth round.
Fourth round: The two third-placed teams of each group from the third round will play home-and-away over two legs. The winner will advance to the inter-confederation play-offs.

A total of 24 teams eliminated from World Cup qualification in the second round will compete in the third round of 2019 AFC Asian Cup qualification (which will be separate from the third round of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification), where they will be divided into six groups of four teams and compete for the remaining slots of the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. The 24 teams will consist of the 16 highest ranked teams eliminated in the second round, and the eight teams that advance from the play-off round of 2019 AFC Asian Cup qualification which are contested by the remaining 12 teams eliminated in the second round.

Already into the second round: All results and details can be found here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_AFC_Second_Round
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) 

Post#2 » by metafisical » Thu Sep 1, 2016 8:58 pm

The most important football federation in the world, AFC, just had its first series of matches for its 3rd round. South Korea, Iran, Australia, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, and UAE all won their matches. Suprisingly, Japan lost to UAE.

I hope to go to one of South Korea's qualification matches when I visit the country for the next couple of months.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#3 » by El Turco » Thu Sep 1, 2016 9:28 pm

bit disappointing afc is not making better progress, quality there still atrocious.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,133

Post#4 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:06 pm

i always wondered how they decide wich teams go in in uefa and wich teams go on afc.
On what basis
Why georgia on uefa and uzbekistan in afc.

Why israel in uefa and Jordan in afc.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC) 

Post#5 » by Foye » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:17 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:i always wondered how they decide wich teams go in in uefa and wich teams go on afc.
On what basis

I think the main reason why Israel play in Uefa is that nobody from middle east likes them and the games could enhance political conflicts. Kinda like Russia/Ukraine who are not allowed to play against each other.
El Turco

Post#6 » by El Turco » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:43 pm

israel was expelled from afc, uefa is the next logical choice. i believe they were trying to qualify from ocenia federation at some point.

kazakhstan is the one that makes no sense, i bet lot of money exchanged behind the scenes during their move.

Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#7 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Sep 2, 2016 7:37 pm

Foye wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:i always wondered how they decide wich teams go in in uefa and wich teams go on afc.
On what basis

I think the main reason why Israel play in Uefa is that nobody from middle east likes them and the games could enhance political conflicts. Kinda like Russia/Ukraine who are not allowed to play against each other.

Well
Nobody likes the French but they dont go play in african qualyfiers
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#8 » by Matty » Sat Sep 3, 2016 12:37 am

For all the money being pumped into Chinese football right now they're still miles away from their East Asian counterparts.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#9 » by Matty » Sat Sep 3, 2016 12:40 am

Arda K wrote:israel was expelled from afc, uefa is the next logical choice. i believe they were trying to qualify from ocenia federation at some point.

kazakhstan is the one that makes no sense, i bet lot of money exchanged behind the scenes during their move.

I think it has to do with their large Russian population.
El Turco

Post#10 » by El Turco » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:45 am

yeah sounds like all soviet republics were given a right to join uefa back in 90s, your favorite team might be playing cl qualification games in bishkek soon.

Foye

Post#11 » by Foye » Sat Sep 3, 2016 1:49 pm

Arda K wrote:israel was expelled from afc, uefa is the next logical choice. i believe they were trying to qualify from ocenia federation at some point.

Turkey makes no sense either. Nobody minds because they can not field a relevant squad, though.
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#12 » by NYCLaker » Sat Sep 3, 2016 3:14 pm

Turkey could, if all them would stop playing for Germany instead.
Foye

Post#13 » by Foye » Sat Sep 3, 2016 3:34 pm

NYCLaker wrote:Turkey could, if all them would stop playing for Germany instead.

Can you name them? Them is basically Özil. Can is not even a regular member of the NT and other than those two there's nobody else from Turkey.

Meanwhile there's at least a dozen players on Turkish NT roster developed by German teams and they still can't field a competitive roster. Imagine how bad they would be if they had to use only players that Turkish clubs have developed in their youth systems.
Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#14 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:08 pm

Foye wrote:

Turkey makes no sense either. Nobody minds because they can not field a relevant squad, though.

Turkey has part of their territory in europe.
Not to mention deep links into european history, they had a lot of territory in romania and etc not to mention for a good while they were half the capital for the freakin Roman empire.........

True that Erdogan is making it difficult to relate to them as european........but yet.
El Turco

Post#15 » by El Turco » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:25 pm

relax he is just trying to be funny

NYCLaker
Junior

Post#16 » by NYCLaker » Sat Sep 3, 2016 5:45 pm

Foye wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:Turkey could, if all them would stop playing for Germany instead.

Can you name them? Them is basically Özil. Can is not even a regular member of the NT and other than those two there's nobody else from Turkey.

Meanwhile there's at least a dozen players on Turkish NT roster developed by German teams and they still can't field a competitive roster. Imagine how bad they would be if they had to use only players that Turkish clubs have developed in their youth systems.

Ozil. GUndogan. Can.
Foye

Post#17 » by Foye » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:10 pm

NYCLaker wrote:
Foye wrote:

Ozil. GUndogan. Can.

Gündogan never even makes it to a tourney. Always injured.
NYCLaker
Junior

Post#18 » by NYCLaker » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:18 pm

Foye wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
Foye wrote:

Ozil. GUndogan. Can.

He made the euros in 2012 and was part of Germany's world cup qualifying campaign....
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,534

Post#19 » by Andi Obst » Sat Sep 3, 2016 6:56 pm

Özil, Gündogan and Can. What a powerful squad.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Foye

Post#20 » by Foye » Sat Sep 3, 2016 7:28 pm

NYCLaker wrote:
Foye wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:
Ozil. GUndogan. Can.

He made the euros in 2012 and was part of Germany's world cup qualifying campaign....

Zero appearances for Germany in WC or EC. Qualification games are not worth talking about.

Return to The General Soccer Board