2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) 

Post#201 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:27 pm

No_20 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Can't stress how much I hate international breaks.

Good grief.

Can't believe you like Spurs more than your country.

What about the British soldiers who died while serving your country?

Are you kidding right ?
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) 

Post#202 » by Andi Obst » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:34 pm

No_20 wrote:What about the British soldiers who died while serving your country?

What a completely ridiculous, unrelated and stupid question.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#203 » by No_20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
No_20 wrote:What about the British soldiers who died while serving your country?

I can't understand how you can like a club more than your country.

And Baph isnt even from North London, I think he is from Midlands or something. Foye is from Frankfurt.

Ask Messi. He would change all his CL titles with a WC with Argentina. Most players would rather win with their country than club.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#204 » by Baphomet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 pm

No_20 wrote:

Good grief.

I think you're misunderstanding something here. I'm very fond of my country, and I have a great respect for those who have given their lives for it too. I'm not one of these people who slags their country off just because.

But that doesn't mean I'm fond of the walking joke that is the England NT, or international football in general. It's just not my thing. Speaking purely about football I have more attachment and memories with Spurs.
No_20
Veteran

Post#205 » by No_20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Baphomet wrote:
No_20 wrote:

Good grief.

I think you're misunderstanding something here. I'm very fond of my country, and I have a great respect for those who have given their lives for it too. I'm not one of these people who slags their country off just because.

But that doesn't mean I'm fond of the walking joke that is the England NT, or international football in general. It's just not my thing. Speaking purely about football I have more attachment and memories with Spurs.

I dont know why people think qualifiers are a waste of time. England missed out in 2008 and almost missed out in 2002 and only qualified because of a last second freekick from Beckham. France been close as well a couple of times. Netherlands missed the last one etc. Even Germany had problems.

Italy - Spain and Netherlands - France are massive games. Yet people still complain.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by Baphomet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 pm

I don't think qualifiers are a waste of time, I'm just not into international football. For me, the whole break is just a distraction from Spurs' league campaign. I still watch England and get into the matches and of course I still want them to win and do well, but it's not quite the same.

I'm not buying the narrative that preferring club football over international is a treasonous offence. The England NT, or any other NT, isn't an actual manifestation of the country as a whole, it's just football. This year's European Championship was a travesty.

And what does Foye and I not being from the same city as our clubs have to do with anything? :lol:
No_20
Veteran

Post#207 » by No_20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Baphomet wrote:I don't think qualifiers are a waste of time, I'm just not into international football. For me, the whole break is just a distraction from Spurs' league campaign. I still watch England and get into the matches and of course I still want them to win and do well, but it's not quite the same.

I'm not buying the narrative that preferring club football over international is a treasonous offence. The England NT, or any other NT, isn't an actual manifestation of the country as a whole, it's just football. This year's European Championship was a travesty.

And what does Foye and I not being from the same city as our clubs have to do with anything? :lol:

Club football isnt the same as it once was. Too much money now, always the same teams going far in CL. Soon we'll have the Super League where you will have Man United - Real Madrid games being played in Tokyo.

The quality of the Euros 2016 wasnt great, but football is also about drama, surprises and great stories.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#208 » by Foye » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:04 pm

No_20 wrote:
Foye wrote:

Good grief.

Hate isnt a strong enough word in this context.

So you hate your country? Unbelievable.

...drawing wrong conclusions as usual.

No, I don't hate my country but qualifiying games are a waste of time.

Game against the Czechs for example was a painful example how dreadful 90% of the qualifiying games are.
If Opponent team doesn't even understand the simple concept that the strikers have to pressure Hummels and Boateng to not get smoked then game is really not worth watching at all.

I'd much rather just watch Bundesliga and CL/EL games. Those two weeks international break are a pain.

I get that a HSV fan thinks otherwise, though. As usual Saturday was about the only time of the year that the home team in Volksparkstadion is playing the sport called football.
No_20
Veteran

Post#209 » by No_20 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Foye wrote:
No_20 wrote:
Foye wrote:
Hate isnt a strong enough word in this context.

So you hate your country? Unbelievable.

...drawing wrong conclusions as usual.

No, I don't hate my country but qualifiying games are a waste of time.

Game against the Czechs for example was a painful example how dreadful 90% of the qualifiying games are.
If Opponent team doesn't even understand the simple concept that the strikers have to pressure Hummels and Boateng to not get smoked then game is really not worth watching at all.

I'd much rather just watch Bundesliga and CL/EL games. Those two weeks international break are a pain.

I get that a HSV fan thinks otherwise, though. As usual Saturday was about the only time of the year that the home team in Volksparkstadion is playing the sport called football.

Most Bundesliga games are painful as well. Did you watch both Bayern - Dortmund games in 2016? The two best teams in the country. 210 minutes without a single goal. Dreadful.

I dont know if you remember Germany's last qualifying campaign, but Germany didnt qualify before the last game. And that was a 24-team tournament.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#210 » by HIF » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:38 am

Little Nathan wrote:

Or you could just say a No_20 post.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Andi Obst
General Manager

Re: AW: RE: Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) 

Post#211 » by Andi Obst » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:34 am

No_20 wrote:I dont know if you remember Germany's last qualifying campaign, but Germany didnt qualify before the last game. And that was a 24-team tournament.

The reason why they qualified so late wasn't because the quality of play was so great that they couldn't win some games. In the games Germany didn't win, you could really feel that the players were just as bored as the fans. And even then it was always clear we'd see Germany at the Euros.

I get that qualifiers are necessary. That just doesn't make them enjoyable to me. Don't even get me started on friendlies during the season...

No_20
Veteran

Re: AW: RE: Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) 

Post#212 » by No_20 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:37 am

Little Nathan wrote:
No_20 wrote:I dont know if you remember Germany's last qualifying campaign, but Germany didnt qualify before the last game. And that was a 24-team tournament.

The reason why they qualified so late wasn't because the quality of play was so great that they couldn't win some games. In the games Germany didn't win, you could really feel that the players were just as bored as the fans. And even then it was always clear we'd see Germany at the Euros.

I get that qualifiers are necessary. That just doesn't make them enjoyable to me. Don't even get me started on friendlies during the season...

http://meedia.de/tv-quoten/vorgestern/

Yeah, it seems like the fans are bored. Almost 11 million people watching Germany - Czech Republic last Saturday. I actually doubt Bayern or Dortmund can get much higher ratings than that for the biggest CL game on ZDF. German NT can get over 30 million.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#213 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Baphomet wrote:
No_20 wrote:

Good grief.

Brave people died so you can watch Walcott face the likes of Bojan Jokic, you know.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Re: AW: RE: Re: AW: RE: Re: AW: RE: Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification (UEFA) 

Post#214 » by Andi Obst » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:29 pm

No_20 wrote:Yeah, it seems like the fans are bored. Almost 11 million people watching Germany - Czech Republic last Saturday. I actually doubt Bayern or Dortmund can get much higher ratings than that for the biggest CL game on ZDF. German NT can get over 30 million.

You'll always find a lot of people to watch the NT in Germany, doesn't mean that they're enjoying it or even actually following the game.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#215 » by Baphomet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Brave people died so you can watch Walcott face the likes of Bojan Jokic, you know.

Bojan Jokic has become a national treasure during his loan at Forest, I'll have you know

You lot are actually playing better than us

Dark, dark times for England fans
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#216 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Jesus, the one time England goalkeeper plays like a non-England goalkeeper.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Baphomet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Jesus, the one time England goalkeeper plays like a non-England goalkeeper.

Maybe hanging out in Italy has cured Joe Hart of his crappiness. :lol:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by Baphomet » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Gary Cahill is such a dick head
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout

Post#219 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Cahill capped off a night of blown passes and similar brainfarts with what should've been a red card. It's hard to put together such a complete rubbish of a performance.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#220 » by gaspar » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Lewandowski is a god.

Return to The General Soccer Board