2016 Centennial Copa America (June 3 - 26)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: 2016 Centennial Copa America (June 3 - 26) 

Post#161 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:20 pm

I would like to see Marlos get more time out there vs chile... i think chile's style of a wide open open fits Marlos' game a lot better than any other team at this moment....

plus Cardona didn't exactly play well enough to dismiss that possibility IMO.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
RHBullsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#162 » by RHBullsFan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:10 pm

It's nice to see Chile playing better each game as they get more used to the new coach and some new players. I couldn't be happier with the thumping of Mexico.

Losing Vidal for the game is going to hurt A LOT. I was hoping for a Chile/Colombia match so I get what I wanted. Hoping for a good game that doesn't come down to PKs.

Congrats to J-Mezzy. Whoever comes out of our game, I'll be rooting against Argentina, that's for sure.
Old School Magic Fan since 1990
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#163 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:41 am

Messi, what else ...
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#164 » by No_20 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:45 am

Klinsmann is doing a great job with this scrub team tbh. World Cup L16, Copa America SF. Dont know what Americans expect.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#165 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:52 am

This was such a terrible XI from JK. Two guys who shouldn't be in the lineup are directly responsible for both goals.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#166 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:56 am

This messi guy is alright
norcocredo
Rookie
And1: 1,437

Post#167 » by norcocredo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:07 am

Best goal of the tournament so far. Damn.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#168 » by Boognish » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:32 am

Keep it under 7 and we good 8-)
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#169 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:06 am

Well, sort of expected. Messi's goal was brilliant, but what a stupid foul by Wondolowski to put him in position.

Argentina should be solid favorites against either Colombia or Chile.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#170 » by Soupman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:45 am

I watched most of the game.It looked like an all-star team playing against a 12th worst pick NBA lottery team. Messi and Lavazzi were having their way with us.Quicker to 50-50,better passing,better coordination,noticeably faster. Good thing it was only 0-4 and not 0-8 or 0-10.

I knew we we're not going to win... or draw but no shots on the goal?

Pretty boring game overall.
I just don't understand what people see in this sport.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#171 » by asdfgh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:11 am

No_20 wrote:Klinsmann is doing a great job with this scrub team tbh. World Cup L16, Copa America SF. Dont know what Americans expect.

No he's not. He's a terrible coach who is so clueless he thought the US could beat Argentina. Sure, the team has no talent, but players like Wondolowski or Beckerman have no place in international football. Building the team around two very mediocre players like Bradley (a complete failure for every team he played for in Europe) and Dempsey (who used to be decent but is now washed up) has been a terrible mistake. The team obviously lacks skill, but I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find more athletic players to make up for what the team lacks in skill. The only player on the field for the U.S. that didn't look like an amateur was Yedlin because even though he doesn't know the basics, at least he can run. Bradley on the other hand was losing the ball every single time.

The U.S. need to get a real coach, because Klinsmann is all talk but he really has no idea what he's doing. They need to hire a coach who has had success in one of the top european leagues.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#172 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 am

To be fair, semi final is one hell of an accomplishment with this US team.
You guys can be proud.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#173 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:19 pm

1. GREAT Goal by Messi.... It's up there as the top goal of tournament... for me, I'll put it as 1b...1a belonging to that Bolivian goal in group stage still... i may need to watch it again...maybe flip?

2. The US did not play very well... Argentina cruised without much resistance and that's a shame because its not an indictment of team USA's performance in this copa. It's more on USA's awful game itself than Argentina.

3. Did not like the predictable Wondowliski insert into the starting 11.... i mean wtf and who da f sees anyting in this guy is beyond me. Yes our lack of quality depth showed and only so much could be done but rather see something else and i've called for that without 20/20 hindsight.

4. where da blazes is Julian Green? LMAO.... i mean, i keep asking cause wasn't this kid suppose to be good for team USA?

5. Guzan in a chump...

6. Bradley again for me shows he overrated... said since the WC 14
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#174 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 pm

asdfgh wrote:
No_20 wrote:Klinsmann is doing a great job with this scrub team tbh. World Cup L16, Copa America SF. Dont know what Americans expect.

No he's not. He's a terrible coach who is so clueless he thought the US could beat Argentina. Sure, the team has no talent, but players like Wondolowski or Beckerman have no place in international football. Building the team around two very mediocre players like Bradley (a complete failure for every team he played for in Europe) and Dempsey (who used to be decent but is now washed up) has been a terrible mistake. The team obviously lacks skill, but I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find more athletic players to make up for what the team lacks in skill. The only player on the field for the U.S. that didn't look like an amateur was Yedlin because even though he doesn't know the basics, at least he can run. Bradley on the other hand was losing the ball every single time.

The U.S. need to get a real coach, because Klinsmann is all talk but he really has no idea what he's doing. They need to hire a coach who has had success in one of the top european leagues.

Athleticism is something team USA won't be lacking in....

You can have all the athleticism in the world out there and most times, from an athletic ability, team USA should be one of the tops. But athleticism doesn't win games alone. If you(USA player) can't control a ball, control a touch, pass the ball accurately, get open for a pass, move around to help your teammate get out of pressure situations, not over commit to one guy with a ball... etc... athleticism does nothing for you.

Look at Wondowliski's f up that led to the super goal by Messi. I don't like the guy but athleticism wasn't his flaw there, it's his lack of fundamental. Everyone last night showed a lack of fundamental soccer play. My old High school team back in the days showed more quality with n without the ball.

Athleticism helps the edge in terms of advantage but with no quality soccer knowledge of the fundamentals, it's like expect a seal to fire a rocket launcher. lol
The ModFather

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#175 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:

You can have all the athleticism in the world out there and most times, from an athletic ability, team USA should be one of the tops. But athleticism doesn't win games alone. If you(USA player) can't control a ball, control a touch, pass the ball accurately, get open for a pass, move around to help your teammate get out of pressure situations, not over commit to one guy with a ball... etc... athleticism does nothing for you.

Look at Wondowliski's f up that led to the super goal by Messi. I don't like the guy but athleticism wasn't his flaw there, it's his lack of fundamental. Everyone last night showed a lack of fundamental soccer play. My old High school team back in the days showed more quality with n without the ball.

Athleticism helps the edge in terms of advantage but with no quality soccer knowledge of the fundamentals, it's like expect a seal to fire a rocket launcher. lol

It doesn't help that he plays the least athletic people in the pool and they can't connect a simple pass either.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#176 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:07 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:

It doesn't help that he plays the least athletic people in the pool and they can't connect a simple pass either.

I get that view but for last night, the lack of athleticism IMO was not the eye sore that stood out for me... it was the blatant lack of fundamentals displayed by USA
The ModFather

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#177 » by El Turco » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:21 am

chile on their way to another 7 goal victory
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#178 » by asdfgh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:26 am

BUCKnation wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I didn't say that athleticism is all that matters. What I said is that since the U.S. lack skill, they should try to change their game in order to take advantage of areas they're stronger in. For some reason Klinsmann seems to think MLS stars are capable of competing with Champions League stars
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

2016 Centennial Copa America (June 3 - 26) 

Post#179 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 am

Chile is so impressive. If they get to the final, I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Argentina in the final once again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#180 » by EArl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:24 am

The two best teams are definitely playing in the finals. It should be a great match
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

Return to The General Soccer Board