UEFA Euro 2016 Group B (ENG/RUS/WAL/SVK)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Re: UEFA Euro 2016 Group B (ENG/RUS/WAL/SVK) 

Post#301 » by El Turco » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:00 pm

so far roy is justified on his omission of vardy in important games
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#302 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Wow 3-0, good for Wales.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#303 » by EArl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Baphomet wrote:Wow 3-0, good for Wales.

Proud of bale.
England on the other hand is playing crap.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#304 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:46 pm

EArl wrote:

Proud of bale.

The performance hasn't been too bad, just really poor final delivery and finishing. Wasteful with possession.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#305 » by EArl » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Baphomet wrote:
EArl wrote:

Proud of bale.

The performance hasn't been too bad, just really poor final delivery and finishing. Wasteful with possession.

I feel like thats always their issue. Lack of finishing and sloppy passing. I do think they have the personnel to be a solid team that can make a deep run in the cup, but not the way they play. Not sure how to fix it though.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Wales and England go through, I'm pleased. Don't think either team will go far but I'm glad to see both in the knockouts.
El Turco

Post#307 » by El Turco » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Baphomet wrote:
EArl wrote:

Proud of bale.

who is the last quality english striker, shearer? i never really rated rooney even when he was playing up top.

not sure if england should be happy about second place here, probably the second weakest group in the tournament.

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#308 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Baphomet wrote:Wales and England go through, I'm pleased. Don't think either team will go far but I'm glad to see both in the knockouts.

Who can they match up with next?
El Turco

Post#309 » by El Turco » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Baphomet wrote:Wales and England go through, I'm pleased. Don't think either team will go far but I'm glad to see both in the knockouts.

there are going to be some crap 3rd place teams so i fancy wales' chances. england better hope portugal doesnt end up second.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Arda K wrote:who is the last quality english striker, shearer? i never really rated rooney even when he was playing up top.

not sure if england should be happy about second place here, probably the second weakest group in the tournament.

We play the runner-up in Group F, and I'm not too worried about any of them. There's been so much bus parking in this tournament that I honestly can't say for sure who is all that good and who isn't.

But yeah, our last real top level striker was Shearer. Rooney in his prime as a forward was great too, though neither delivered in the big tournaments. I think Kane can be a top striker with more experience. He's been outstanding for Spurs for 2 straight seasons. I know Massimo goes in with this bizarre narrative that Kane is somehow arrogant and 'struts around like he's won 7 CL' or something equally idiotic, but he's actually a hard working, humble lad and I expect him to improve a lot.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#311 » by Geddy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Michael Owen was supposed to be the big thing after Shearer but he never could put it together, or stay healthy.

Lifelong Emile Hefty fan though
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#312 » by jirrit » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Slovakia was parking the bus bigtime, way too many teams do it and it's mostly because of that crappy 3rd team rule. Sucks cause if they had to play for a win this could've been a much nicer game.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Geddy wrote:Michael Owen was supposed to be the big thing after Shearer but he never could put it together, or stay healthy.

Lifelong Emile Hefty fan though

One Heskey fan tried to get him knighted but Cammo vetoed it

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/government-officials-reject-proposals-knight-7026476

Daniel's appeal, to the Department of Culture Media and Sport, said: “Emile has changed the way the game is played.
“He is an experienced, well-loved and all round genius player.”
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#314 » by No_20 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Baphomet wrote:
Arda K wrote:who is the last quality english striker, shearer? i never really rated rooney even when he was playing up top.

We play the runner-up in Group F, and I'm not too worried about any of them. There's been so much bus parking in this tournament that I honestly can't say for sure who is all that good and who isn't.

But yeah, our last real top level striker was Shearer. Rooney in his prime as a forward was great too, though neither delivered in the big tournaments. I think Kane can be a top striker with more experience. He's been outstanding for Spurs for 2 straight seasons. I know Massimo goes in with this bizarre narrative that Kane is somehow arrogant and 'struts around like he's won 7 CL' or something equally idiotic, but he's actually a hard working, humble lad and I expect him to improve a lot.

Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:31 pm

No_20 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Like I said, not too worried about any of them.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#316 » by No_20 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:
No_20 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Like I said, not too worried about any of them.

I would be worried against Portugal. They would be favorites against you.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 pm

No_20 wrote:I would be worried against Portugal. They would be favorites against you.

Maybe, but they're a nothing team just like we are, have no chance of winning it.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#318 » by HIF » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:02 am

We played well, especially for a team with 6 changes. Slovakia tried to go forward but never could and then just tried to hold on. When Hamsik and Weiss are stopped in their tracks like that then you're doing something right.

We didn't score. Vardy had the one good run but didn't get the service he thrives on but it's difficult when teams are just defending that's when the midfielders outside the box need to score and we had a few good chances.

Wilshere was terrible - glad rooney replaced him. Sturridge wasn't on form again.

I'd start the team that finished. I think that's our best with the option of changing the FBs all four of whom are good.

Never expected to see England so far outclass all 3 teams. 5 points ens up being disappointing but I'm hopeful of progression.

Good luck to Wales too (who certainly looked outclassed by us but so much better than the other 2).
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
El Turco

Post#319 » by El Turco » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 am

cradle of football is not expected to outclass russia, slovakia and wales. how expectations has fallen.

El Turco

Post#320 » by El Turco » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:35 am

http://www.espnfc.com/european-championship/74/blog/post/2892501/jamie-vardy-poor-as-england-settle-for-scoreless-draw-vs-slovakia-at-euro-2016

FW Jamie Vardy, 5 -- Vardy showed a few decent runs in the first half, including the one-on-one that he really should have buried, but he was utterly anonymous after the break. Vardy's in the team to provide some dynamism, but for all the good he did, he might as well have been sitting on the touchline in a deckchair, sipping plastic cups of UEFA-endorsed, watered-down lager.

ouch

Return to The General Soccer Board