England National Football Team Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: England National Football Team Thread 

Post#321 » by HIF » Mon Sep 4, 2017 7:24 pm

Det the Threat wrote:
HIF wrote:Well Vardy is clearly the fastest and best presser in the prem. Perhaps Southgate should turn to Vardy, Albrighton,Gray, drinkwater and Maguire. :wink:

That's pretty much the worst answer you could've given.
Vardy doesn't speed up the game, he's just a fast guy who needs guys to give him the ball.

The biggest problem with that is, with the exception of five to ten teams, that England won't be able to play the destructive and defensive minded style of Leicester and won't even have anything close to that in space on the pitch.
Most teams will just sit back and all the pace in the world won't help you, if you've got no space to run into.

So yeah, Vardy's a nice(and fast) player, but he's not your answer even if there are a couple guys who could play a long ball.
The thing you actually need is more creativity and technical ability in midfield, cause you've got to create stuff against deep sitting teams.

You really haven't watched Vardy.

You haven't seen the work he does off the ball.

No-one mentioned it but it was him running back and stealing the ball that set up Kane for the 3rd (?) goal.

And you probably didn't understand my post - did you actually read the names I listed?

Dier equalises here - he's been poor and we've been a bunch of plodders.

Hopefully now we'll kick on.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 354

Post#322 » by Det the Threat » Mon Sep 4, 2017 7:32 pm

HIF wrote:You really haven't watched Vardy.

You haven't seen the work he does off the ball.

No-one mentioned it but it was him running back and stealing the ball that set up Kane for the 3rd (?) goal.

And you probably didn't understand my post - did you actually read the names I listed?

Dier equalises here - he's been poor and we've been a bunch of plodders.

Hopefully now we'll kick on.

It's not about me having watched Vardy(I have watched him some) but rather your thought that some pace and long balls are needed.
You're not able to play those long balls behind a defense, because most teams just sit back and don't give you any space to put the ball into.

So yeah, he's doing a good job, but unless you're playing other teams that want the ball(like Leicester does quite often) all the pace in the world doesn't help you if you don't have guys on your team that are very good tactically, technically and most importantly "very quick in their mind".

Sure, those other guys you mentioned are good players, but the Leicester set up is just very hard to duplicate for the english national team, because most of the time you're playing defensive minded teams that won't give you the space needed for that style.
HIF
RealGM

Post#323 » by HIF » Mon Sep 4, 2017 7:39 pm

You still missed the point.

And you're still wrong about Vardy. Yes he has great speed going forward but my point is that he's a great defensive attacker. He pressurises players and gets or causes turnovers.

England need to use their speed to get into players not lump around giving other team's players the time to think.

"Get into them and **** them up."

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#324 » by Baphomet » Tue Sep 5, 2017 1:12 pm

Can't wait for the press to neuter Alli like they did with Rooney.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#325 » by Baphomet » Wed Oct 4, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks like Kane is staying as captain.

Great news. Hopefully his performances in an England shirt will improve.
No_20
Veteran
And1: 319

Post#326 » by No_20 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 10:59 pm

Baphomet wrote:Looks like Kane is staying as captain.

Great news. Hopefully his performances in an England shirt will improve.

Hmm. Obviously by far England's best player but he seems quite thick when you hear him speak.

But most NTs usually pick their best player rather than their biggest leader as captain.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#327 » by Ted Lasso » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:31 pm

Gary Cahill should obviously be the captain. I've never been a proponent of making your best player captain just because.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#328 » by Baphomet » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:17 pm

I agree that Cahill should probably be captain and dislike the notion of making your best player captain. I still think this will be good for Kane's development, and hopefully it can help him accrue some leadership skills that'll help him for both club and country.

But regarding No_20's point, it's not like any of the other England players are intellectuals either.
HIF
RealGM

Post#329 » by HIF » Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:54 am

The whole team is depressing and should be shot. Other than Rashford.

We won't even make it through the group section.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by Baphomet » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:25 pm

Rashford looks pretty good as a winger. I was skeptical when he first started playing there at United, but he's looking the part now. Brings a lot of energy and has the skill to beat players.

Not to keen on Sterling as a #10 though.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by Baphomet » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:40 pm

We're winning games against poor teams but are painful to watch. It reminds me of Van Gaal's Man United where the results are coming, but the performances are substandard. I don't know what's going on with Alli but he's a liability in possession now. Someone needs to tell them that this game doesn't mean anything... just go for it! Play with some pace for crying out loud, stop knocking it about the back, take some risks.

Pluses, Winks looks comfortable (better than Dier?), Maguire looked okay, Kane's penalty was really nicely converted.
HIF
RealGM

Post#332 » by HIF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Southgate is never going to use that formation in the World Cup - he hasn't got the balls for it. Southgate isn't going to even select some of those players in his world cup squad - so it was really a waste of time.

England are going to play boring, pass it back football - Henderson is the king of that. Southgate is going to select thick footballers who are unable (and unwilling) to change their games taking into account opponent and game. england are going to lose miserably and not get out of the qualifying group.

I really am depressed in what I've seen of England since the last championships. We actually have some players who can play fast and forward but we don't.

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#333 » by BUCKnation » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 am

I think what made Winks look good, besides being a very good player is that is differs from Henderson or Dier. He isn't a DM but he can possess and advance the ball, something that Dier and Hendo don't do the best. Also, he knows how to play with Dier, which is clearly seen when they tried Ox next to Dier and he was like a chicken with his head cut off, leaving too many holes for Dier or whoever the DM is to cover.
HIF
RealGM

Post#334 » by HIF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am

BUCKnation wrote:I think what made Winks look good, besides being a very good player is that is differs from Henderson or Dier. He isn't a DM but he can possess and advance the ball, something that Dier and Hendo don't do the best. Also, he knows how to play with Dier, which is clearly seen when they tried Ox next to Dier and he was like a chicken with his head cut off, leaving too many holes for Dier or whoever the DM is to cover.

Dier is so unintelligent it's painful.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#335 » by Baphomet » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:24 pm

England come from 2-0 behind to win the U17 World Cup final 5-2 against Spain. :o

How long until the English senior coaching neuters them?
No_20
Veteran

Post#336 » by No_20 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Baphomet wrote:England come from 2-0 behind to win the U17 World Cup final 5-2 against Spain. :o

How long until the English senior coaching neuters them?

Not just that. England always do OK at youth level. The problem is lack of playing time in the PL because the pressure on the managers are massive. These youngsters need to have the courage to move abroad(like Spanish players often do) which is something English players struggle with.
Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Garnett, Toni Kroos, Pep Guardiola, Ernst Happel, Joachim Löw.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#337 » by Ted Lasso » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Germany, Spain, Italy, and Argentina have combined to win the U-17 World Cup zero times.

Nigeria, Ghana, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia have combined to win it 10 times.

To say it would be unwise to arrive at conclusions regarding England's performances at the senior level based on their performance at this tournament would be an understatement.
No_20
Veteran

Post#338 » by No_20 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:Germany, Spain, Italy, and Argentina have combined to win the U-17 World Cup zero times.

To say it would be unwise to arrive at conclusions regarding England's performances at the senior level based on their performance at this tournament would be an understatement.

Yeah. Remember watching the U21 Euros tournament a couple of years ago. Harry Kane was absolutely awful for England while Lingard looked like a world beater. Even at U21 level you can't draw conclusions.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#339 » by Baphomet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 am

Ted Lasso wrote:Germany, Spain, Italy, and Argentina have combined to win the U-17 World Cup zero times.

There isn't really much to glean from this one particular tournament, but it does cap off an outstanding year for England at the under-[age group] level. No other nation has won 3 youth tournaments in one year, and we're without a single loss in regulation 90 in 34 matches.

The most note-worthy capture is the U20 World Cup, imo. Argentina, Brazil and Portugal are the 3 most successful teams in that tournament's history. Future world class players have showcased their ability in that tournament (Messi, Maradona, Aguero and Pogba have all won the golden boot in past U20 World Cups).

Maybe this upcoming generation is just special, maybe it isn't, but I don't think it's unfair to look at this success and have questions about the seniors.
BSA
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#340 » by BSA » Wed Nov 8, 2017 1:31 pm

Lewis Dunk should be getting a game. Absolute class he is.

Return to The General Soccer Board