Picking a soccer team

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Pitimiquel
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: RE: Re: Picking a soccer team 

Post#41 » by Pitimiquel » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Why are you a fan of Barca?

Easy. Im from Barcelona and here everyone supports BarƧa except some exceptions, who support Espanyol or Real Madrid. So im not a glory hunter
KornelDavidFan
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Picking a soccer team 

Post#42 » by KornelDavidFan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Depends on the time you pick a team up to follow.
When you are a kid, most likely you will end up following either your city's team, your dad's favorite team (these two are very common here in South America by the way) or maybe another relative's favorite team and with which you have had any type of connection.
As you grow up, then you can be more selective, in terms of acknowledging stuff that you feel is worthy, such as the FO's profile, manager's profile, squad's identity based on the aforementioned factors, just to name a few.

In my case I have always liked Milan, River Plate (Argentina).
As I grew up I started to like Arsenal (really liked they yourh academy policy plus the way in which the know who to sign based not on their name but on their performance), do not like MUFC nor Real Madrid.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#43 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:25 pm

KornelDavidFan wrote:Depends on the time you pick a team up to follow.
When you are a kid, most likely you will end up following either your city's team, your dad's favorite team (these two are very common here in South America by the way) or maybe another relative's favorite team and with which you have had any type of connection.
As you grow up, then you can be more selective, in terms of acknowledging stuff that you feel is worthy, such as the FO's profile, manager's profile, squad's identity based on the aforementioned factors, just to name a few.

As I grew up I started to like Arsenal (really liked they yourh academy policy plus the way in which the know who to sign based not on their name but on their performance), do not like MUFC nor Real Madrid.

Growing up in the States, I didn't have much exposure to the sport outside of the World Cup every four years. No MLS. No European football on T.V. It wasn't until my teens that I would sit & watch it. It then became more & more accessible.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
KornelDavidFan
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#44 » by KornelDavidFan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
KornelDavidFan wrote:Depends on the time you pick a team up to follow.

Growing up in the States, I didn't have much exposure to the sport outside of the World Cup every four years. No MLS. No European football on T.V. It wasn't until my teens that I would sit & watch it. It then became more & more accessible.

Correct. Soccer was not a big deal in the US until a few years ago. It started out as this commercial thing (signing 'has-been' players who were closer to retirement than to continue playing) and did not have too much appeal.
Fast forward several years up to this day and soccer has definitely become a big hit in the US. Which is a very good thing not only for the fans, but also because they have proven successful when playing international tournaments.
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#45 » by PANDEMONEUM » Mon Oct 3, 2016 5:25 pm

i totally agree with finding a team in every league.
if you are going to be a diehard of a team, you need to watch everyone, and find a connection.
i enjoy watching soccer and being UNattached,
that way i can bounce around from week to week watching different teams

local, country.....those two things will help you find a team
at least you can actually go to your local team, and see the team live.
enjoy the game with others, and maybe swayed by the diehards to join them.
the live experience of soccer, is UNlike other sports

*your local MLS team
then a team in the other division, so u can follow the league and players

*your countrys team, Canada
follow them.
then you will follow CONCACAF.

*then, you can follow the clubs, that Canadas players play on

for me all the MLS and Bundesliga i can watch, then select players and select matchups in other leagues

*MLS : NYRB.
Sascha Kljestan, american attacking midfielder, is the main reason. but the team plays a high pressing style, and chases hard to get the ball back when they lose it
**Sporting KC and Dallas FC
i think Dallas has the most technical team in MLS

*Bundesliga : Borussia Dortmund.
right now, they are super young, have an American Cristian Pulisic 18yrs old. exciting, fast, goal scoring team.
**Borussia Mƶnchengladbach and VfL Wolfsburg (the last 2 years were great to watch VFL, this year so far, yuck)

*LaLiga : AtlƩtico Madrid.
this team battles. doesnt matter who the opponent is. they have risen and are holding firm as a top 3 team in LaLiga. right next to Barca and RM. they had an excellent CL campaign last year.
**Sevilla FC
a record five UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cups (2006, 2007, 2014, 2015 and 2016)
i feel like their style is a bit different then the other teams in LaLiga, as they dont mind moving up and down the field quickly, instead of always trying to build and possess.

*EPL : UNattached
im not attached to anyone.
last year was West Ham United. their midfielders always looked to be on the same page and the team was out playing for each other. while watching matches, i found myself liking them more and more as the season went on.
Sunderland AFC, for American Lynden Gooch
Stoke City, for American Geoff Cameron
Leicester City, for the story.
Manchester United for ZLATAN

more soccer, more better
local / country......then players from country on their club teams
i think thats the easiest and purest way to start
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#46 » by Next Coming » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:50 pm

Don't pick a London team, or any of the Manchester teams and don't be a nonce. Only rules you need to remember.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#47 » by pickIBL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:51 pm

I will say liverpool and man city are fun to watch. Personally I've always been more into latin american futbol and follow more basketball in Europe. Going to a match in latin america is truly exciting.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#48 » by janmagn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Next Coming wrote:Don't pick a London team, or any of the Manchester teams and don't be a nonce. Only rules you need to remember.

So why not ANY teams from those cities?

LƤhetetty minun LG-H440n laitteesta Tapatalkilla
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#49 » by shawn_hemp » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:23 pm

I picked some random teams mainly based off of who I liked playing as in FIFA on Xbox

EPL - Manchester City: mostly I just find how English people pronounce "city" to be funny. It's like "sit-ay"

La Liga - Atletico Madrid: everyone is a Real/Barca fan. I also liked Aguero

Bundesliga - SC Freiburg: my grandfather is from Freiburg. I also like Dortmund because Aubemeyang does a flip after he scores.

Ligue 1 - AS Monaco: seems like a good place to go on vacation to. I also really liked Anthony Martial

Serie A - never really followed this too much. My first introduction to Serie A was the big cheating scandal so Idk I just never got real into it. I guess Napoli's logo is pretty cool.

My real English team is Nottingham Forest but they have been meddling in the Championship for a while now. I really liked Michael Antonio when he was there

MLS - Philadelphia Union: doop doop doop

So yeah, pretty arbitrary reasoning for me but as OP said, I had nothing really to go on to begin with.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#50 » by Baphomet » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:37 pm

janmagn wrote:
Next Coming wrote:Don't pick a London team, or any of the Manchester teams and don't be a nonce. Only rules you need to remember.

He's a Liverpool fan :)
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#51 » by HIF » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am

pick winners. It's easier that way.

And of course you can jettison them when they turn ****.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#52 » by Next Coming » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Baphomet wrote:
janmagn wrote:

He's a Liverpool fan :)

Just trying to convert people the right way
jeff2020
Senior
And1: 350

Post#53 » by jeff2020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I am from Lexington, KY and have no soccer teams around me to speak of. 4-5 years ago I started playing FIFA and for no reason at all I randomly chose Newcastle United to start my manager mode with. Ever since been repping the toon army.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#54 » by britblazerdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
Fury wrote:Arsenal, bro. Very stable and consistent without the egregious spending of Chelsea, Man U, and Man City. It's a good balance.

Interesting choice. How would you describe their playing style?

FORTY NINE, FORTY NINE UNDEFEATED. FORTY NINE, FORTY NINE, I SAY. FORTY NINE, FORTY NINE UNDEFEATED, WE'RE PLAYING FOOTBALL THE ARSENAL WAY.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#55 » by britblazerdude » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm

jeff2020 wrote:I am from Lexington, KY and have no soccer teams around me to speak of. 4-5 years ago I started playing FIFA and for no reason at all I randomly chose Newcastle United to start my manager mode with. Ever since been repping the toon army.

Lol, that string of words has never been made before.

Anyway, brilliant choice. Geordies are great. Newcastle is as much like Newcastle as you could possibly imagine it to be. If only the team could pull it together and do something for the great support base. My Mum's extended family is from there. I remember walking by St. James' Park as a child with my uncle who used to be Northumbria Police. Playing bowls on the beaches of Tynemouth. Fond memories. Haven't been back since I was 12!
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
jeff2020
Senior
And1: 350

Post#56 » by jeff2020 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm

britblazerdude wrote:
jeff2020 wrote:I am from Lexington, KY and have no soccer teams around me to speak of. 4-5 years ago I started playing FIFA and for no reason at all I randomly chose Newcastle United to start my manager mode with. Ever since been repping the toon army.

Brilliant choice.

I definitely thought so as well
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#57 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 6:09 am

Newcastle just came back up into the EPL. Good for them. Glad they're back. Good team to follow.

For what my opinion is worth....just don't hop on one of these bandwagon teams. God....if I got a buck for every "die hard" Chelsea fan that emerged about 12 years ago. Now it's Man-City. Watch the PSG fan-base emerge over the next 3-4 years.

Barcelon and R-Madrid are incredible teams.....but unless you live there, then your a tool for picking them as your team. Your the guy who picks the "all-time" team on NBA2k and then talks big when you win. Yeah.....good job.

Pick Tottenham, or Arsenal. Good teams with good attack. They are pretty fierce rivals...and are equal, which is great. My bud is a huge Arsenal fan, so they are sort of my 2nd team. Im a bit partial to them. If you like Barcelona....think of Arsenal as their minor league team.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,437

Post#58 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 2, 2017 6:16 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Newcastle just came back up into the EPL. Good for them. Glad they're back. Good team to follow.

For what my opinion is worth....just don't hop on one of these bandwagon teams. God....if I got a buck for every "die hard" Chelsea fan that emerged about 12 years ago. Now it's Man-City. Watch the PSG fan-base emerge over the next 3-4 years.

Barcelon and R-Madrid are incredible teams.....but unless you live there, then your a tool for picking them as your team. Your the guy who picks the "all-time" team on NBA2k and then talks big when you win. Yeah.....good job.

Pick Tottenham, or Arsenal. Good teams with good attack. They are pretty fierce rivals...and are equal, which is great. My bud is a huge Arsenal fan, so they are sort of my 2nd team. Im a bit partial to them. If you like Barcelona....think of Arsenal as their minor league team.

NO!!! DON'T CHOOSE Arsenal! :lol:

Are you trying to inflict pain on people, Dan!? :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#59 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 8:31 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:Newcastle just came back up into the EPL. Good for them. Glad they're back. Good team to follow.

NO!!! DON'T CHOOSE Arsenal! :lol:

Are you trying to inflict pain on people, Dan!? :wink:

Someone's gotta do it
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#60 » by remi_222 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 6:16 am

Hellcrooner wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Why pick One when you can pick One to follow in every country?

Thats what i do

Independiente
PeƱarol
Caracas Fc
L.A Galaxy
Atletico Madrid + Zaragoza ( live here) + Lugo ( raised there)
Sporting Portugal ( like maritimo too)
St Ettienne
Ac MIlan ( tough i like Roma and Fiore too)
Crystal Palace
Hearts of Midlothian
Ajax
Brugge
Borussia Moenchengladbach ( i like Hamburg too)
Rapid Wien
AlK
Aek
Besiktas
Cska Moscow
Steaua
Partizan
Honved
Dukla

and so on.

How can you follow so many teams? Sounds like a full-time job seeing how each one is doing.

I would understand if you had just one team that's yours, and then 3-4 others that casually follow. Say, one team in the Premier League, and then one in each of La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A.

Check results basically.
Catch some game of them in internet when posible.

Watch the CL/EL games of those teams.

Obviously follow thightly games/news/being fully aware of the roster and roster changes only Atletico and Zaragoza, the team in the city going to the stadium every now and then.

Please, tell me why Saint Etienne ?? :)

Return to The General Soccer Board