2016 RealGM Soccer Board Draft - Semi Finals (Upper Bracket)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Semi Finals - Upper Bracket

Poll ended at Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Foye over sleepyPT
52%
sleepyPT over Foye
48%

Total votes: 21

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

2016 RealGM Soccer Board Draft - Semi Finals (Upper Bracket) 

Post#1 » by Baphomet » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:14 am

Here we go, the knockout rounds!

Upper bracket:
QF1: Foye vs. BUCKnation - 9-6
QF2: sleepyPT vs. DK-All Day - 10-5

SF1: Foye vs. sleepyPT - 11-10

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in the semi-finals.

All participants, please PM your tactics for your upcoming match to me before 6pm GMT on Friday. If not, your default formation from the group stage will be used. Thank you.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2016 RealGM Soccer Board Draft - Quarter Finals (Upper Bracket) 

Post#2 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Quarterfinal 1: Foye vs. BUCKnation

Foye

vs.

BUCKnation

Summary:
Spoiler:

---------------------

Specific matchup tactics below overall team talk:

----------------------

With my team being very versatile, I can have multiple combinations of lineups to fit different scenarios. If I wanted two strikers up top, I could put in Tevez and move Bale down the pitch. If I wanted a more defensive lineup, I could switch Ben Arfa or Alli out for Diarra or Guadardo. Dier could also be used as a CB in a 5 CB formation if I really wanted too. I could also go with a 433 and have Bale, PEA, and Ben Arfa up top.

I can also play many styles. Possesion, counter attacking, defensive, and etc.

On offense, Bale and Aubameyang can provide goals and assists while also being dynamic athletes that can take advantage of a slow midfield or backline.

In the midfield, Alli and Iniesta can play the link between the defense and offense with their all around skillsets and also contribute the odd goal. Ben Arfa, a revelation this season will be used to add flair and goals and assists from the CAM spot. Dier is a tank and will help shield the backline.

On defense, the fullbacks are both solid defensively and can contribute offensively. Miranda and Alderweireld and both top CB's in their leagues, with Alderweireld being arguably the best CB in the PL. Lloris is also a top 5 keeper in the world, single handedly keeping Spurs in many games the past 3 seasons.

Subs:
Tevez is Tevez. Can play anywhere up top and provide goals and assists. He is an easy pick in the first 3 rounds if he is still at Juve. Diarra is coming off a great season and can be used late in games to finish them off. Guardado is very versatile and can also be used to help finish games off, but he is more of a like for like replacement as someone to link the defense to the offense. Arnautovic, even though he is at Stoke, had a great year and has been a consistent player for a long time. He can be used to the cover the wings and add a goal if needed.

Overall, my team is very talented but also very versatile so I could easily adapt to any situation whether its matching up to my opponent or in game adjustments.

-------------------

Tactics vs. Foye

-------------------

Foye's team is very balanced. I think the only way to really exploit his side is to take advantage of my sides athleticism with a higher pressing style. I think that is my one big advantage in the midfield. I would try to attack defense with pace and power and try to catch Luiz when he inevitably gets caught out. If I needed too, I believe my players are capable of a possession style to match Foye's side as well. To increase pressure late in the game, Tevez, Guardado, and Diarra could all be used to force Foye's side into mistakes later in the game.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Quarterfinal 2: sleepyPT vs. DK-All Day

sleepyPT

Line-up

Summary:
Spoiler:
Offensive & Defensive Mindset

Players' Roles
Note: Red is for the offensive mindset, Green is for the defensive mindset, Blue is for both.
Bravo (Goalkeeper) – With 16 clean sheets and 3.40 saves per goal, the GK champion of La Liga and Copa del Rey is a wall between the posts and our first line of defense. He's also our captain.

Alaba - On offense, (Full Back), he'll be providing extra width on the midfield and looking to cross or put in a through ball when the opportunity for each arises. On defense, (Limited Full Back) he focuses predominantly on his defensive duties (71% successful take-ons, 1.37 interceptions and 1.47 clearances, per game).

Hummels (Limited Defender) – His main job is to stop the opposing attacker (65% duels won per game), win the ball without giving away a free kick (0.6 fouls committed per game) and get it cleared safely up field in a no-nonsense manner. He’ll have a stopper duty, meaning that he’ll push ahead of the defensive line and close down players before they get to the area (83% successful take-ons per game).

Dijk (Sweeper) – Drops behind the defensive line, aiming to sweep up through balls (7.79 clearances per game), pick up extra attackers (73% successful take-ons per game) and make goal saving tackles as well as blocks, covering for defensive errors and taking possession of loose balls from a deep position (2.82 interceptions per game).

Aurier - He'll play the same roles as Alaba. On offense, Full Back and on defense, Limited Full Back. (2.95 tackles won, 3.43 interceptions and clearances, per game)

Kanté – On offense, (Anchor Man) his main duty is to sit in the hole between the defense and the midfield, intercepting moves (4.22 per game), winning the ball (3.38 tackles won per game) and laying off simple passes to his more creative teammates. On defense, (Defensive Midfielder) he has the job to protect the defensive line from breaking attackers by closing down on them quickly, holding his ground and then recycling possession from a deep position.

Parejo - On offense, (Box-to-Box Midfielder) he’ll push up to support the forwards, often surging late into the box to get on the end of crosses and pull backs as well as providing a threat from distance (1 shot per game and 4 goals outside the area).On defense, (Ball-winning Midfielder) his role shifts to a somewhat related role, with the main function of closing down the opposition and winning the ball (60% successful take-ons per game), while also helping keep possession.

Calhanoglu – Being technically proficient as well as quick, on offense (Winger) Calhanoglu aims to beat his man on the outside, ready to surge into space. When going forward, he’ll try and run at the defense in the final third, causing panic and indecision prior to shooting (11 goals) or attempting to make a through ball/cross to a teammate (2.42 key passes, 2.58 chances created, per game and 13 assists). On defense, (Attacking Midfielder) he'll shift to the center of the field, providing more defensive security in the middle by tracking back to help the midfield, while also being quick and astute enough to start a counter-attack when he wins back possession.

Eriksen – Being able to operate in all forwards positions, on offense (Advanced Playmaker) Eriksen aims to drop into holes between the opposition’s midfield and defense, gaining his ground and looking to spray passes to support forwards (2.89 key passes and 3.26 chances created, per game, and 14 assists). He’ll focus in creating offense outside the box and be the first to get on the end of loose balls. On defense, (Defensive Winger), he aims to press the opposing full backs, win the ball high up the pitch and either hold it up for the rest of the team, drive to the byline or get in a quick cross or put in a through ball. When counter-attacking, he should do it through the left side.

Lamela – On offense, (Inside Forward) he aims to cut inside from the flanks with the options of shooting (12 goals), passing (2 key passes per game) or crossing (9 assists) as he moves into the final third. On defense, (Defensive Winger) he aims to press the opposing full backs (1.94 fouls committed and 1.59 tackles won, per game), win the ball high up the pitch (57% successful take-ons per game) and either hold it up for the rest of the team, drive to the byline or get in a quick cross or put in a through ball.

Griezmann – He possesses all the technical attributes of a Deep-Lying Forward, the goal scoring ability of a Poacher and the strength and power of a Target Man. He’s equally adept at playing with others, fashioning chances for himself and getting on the end of team’s moves. We feel that such player should simply be allowed to do his own thing and for that reason, he’ll be our Complete Forward, offensively. On defense, he’ll shift to Advanced Forward as it brings more contribution from him defensively.

Subs:
Ricardo Pereira – Our backup full back is able to play on both sides of the wing, focusing the most of his abilities on his defensive responsibilities (2.96 interceptions, 3.62 clearances and 3.12 tackles won, per game).
Tolisso – Our second most balanced midfielder provides an industrious and versatile link between the defense and the attack. He will balance his attacking responsibilities (1 key pass, 1.15 chances created and 84% pass completion, per game) with his defensive ones (2.03 interceptions, 1.91 tackles won and 50% total duels, per game), by getting forward when necessary but mainly retaining position in the middle and attempting to thread passes to players in the final third.
Giroud – Our second striker was chosen not only to differ from the previous one but to complement him as well. He has the strength, aggression, jumping reach and aerial presence (52% aerial duels won, per game, and 11 headed goals) that make him a great Target Man to play alongside Jonas. His finishing (54% shot accuracy, per game, and 31 goals) first touch, passing ability (8 assists) and defensive contribution that make him a great Advanced Forward when playing alone.
Jonas - Our first striker pick has made a lot of success this past season putting up unbelievable numbers that got him a spot between the 5 top scorers of Europe. Playing as Poacher and using the best of his abilities, Jonas sits on the shoulder of the last defender looking to break the defensive line and run onto through balls, with the main focus of scoring goals and sniffing out opportunities in and around the box. It was with this approach that he successfully scored 37 goals while also assisting 20 times, being 3rd and tied with Ronaldo in the race for Europe’s Golden Shoe.

Set Pieces and winning/losing situation
Set piece taker: Calhanoglu. Then Eriksen.
Penalty kick taker: Griezmann.

If winning: Sub on Tolisso for Calhanoglu, adding a more defensive player to the midfield. Shift Eriksen to the left side.
If losing: Sub on Jonas for Calhanoglu, move Eriksen to LM and Lamela to RM playing both the Wide Midfielder role, have Jonas as a Poacher upfront and Griezmann behind him as an Advanced Forward.

Explanation
Starting with our defense, our full backs won't venture much forward when attacking and will be limited offensively so that they can be allowed to focus more on stopping DK's offensive firepower. Kanté will be our first defender, standing in front of the defensive line, he will focus on stopping counter attacks before they even begin and he will also pressure opponents when they have possession of the ball. Dijk will be our last defender, sweeping up balls from behind the defensive line with his great concentration and strong intercepting ability. Parejo will think more defensively in both mindsets, he will focus on tightly marking Ozil and stopping him from creating any offensive opportunities. Also with the help defensively of Eriksen and Lamela, we feel we have enough to stop DK's attack.

Our offense should have no problem in overpowering his midfield which lacks the necessary defense needed to stop our entire offense. All of our forwards will be drifting inside most of the time to take advantage of his weak CB pairing, which will force his full backs to have to move from their natural positions to help out. This will end up disorganizing his back line and allowing for our attackers to take advantage of his defenders mistakes. With the addition of Calhanoglu, our offense won't have any problems with creating deadly opportunities for our attacking players, and their pace should be able to overrun DK's slow defense. Eriksen's play making skills earned him a spot in the center of the field, however due to Calhanoglu's ability to play in the midfield, they'll switch positions when on defense.

Even though both offenses seem equal in quality, we feel our midfield and defense should give us the edge in this match up. Thank you all for taking the time to read our tactics.

vs.

DK-All Day

Summary:
Spoiler:
Subs:

Christian Benteke
Arjen Robben
DeAndre Yedlin
Mateo Kovacic

FC DK will run out the 4-2-3-1 formation.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Baphomet » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Foye defeats BUCKnation - 9-6
sleepyPT defeats DK-All Day - 10-5
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#5 » by BUCKnation » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Damn, last I checked it was 5-4 me. Oh well.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#6 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:56 am

BUCKnation wrote:Damn, last I checked it was 5-4 me. Oh well.

Could've been three Spurs fans in the semis. We almost confirmed Matty's Tottenham conspiracy.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2016 RealGM Soccer Board Draft - Semi Finals (Upper Bracket) 

Post#7 » by Baphomet » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Semifinal 1: Foye vs. sleepyPT

Foye

vs.

sleepyPT

Line-up

Offensive & Defensive Mindset

Players' Roles
Note: Red is for the offensive mindset, Green is for the defensive mindset, Blue is for both.
Bravo (Goalkeeper) – With 16 clean sheets and 3.40 saves per goal, the GK champion of La Liga and Copa del Rey is a wall between the posts and our first line of defense. He's also our captain.

Alaba - On offense, (Full Back), he'll be providing extra width on the midfield and looking to cross or put in a through ball when the opportunity for each arises. On defense, (Limited Full Back) he focuses predominantly on his defensive duties (71% successful take-ons, 1.37 interceptions and 1.47 clearances, per game).

Hummels (Limited Defender) – His main job is to stop the opposing attacker (65% duels won per game), win the ball without giving away a free kick (0.6 fouls committed per game) and get it cleared safely up field in a no-nonsense manner. He’ll have a stopper duty, meaning that he’ll push ahead of the defensive line and close down players before they get to the area (83% successful take-ons per game).

Dijk (Sweeper) – Drops behind the defensive line, aiming to sweep up through balls (7.79 clearances per game), pick up extra attackers (73% successful take-ons per game) and make goal saving tackles as well as blocks, covering for defensive errors and taking possession of loose balls from a deep position (2.82 interceptions per game).

Aurier - On offense, (Wing Back) Aurier aims to overlap down the flank to provide wide support for attacks, run at his man and get crosses in from the byline. Has a more offensive approach than Alaba. On defense, (Full Back) he should supplement his defensive responsibilities by overlapping the midfield and providing first time crosses into the area. (2.95 tackles won, 3.43 interceptions and clearances, per game)

Kanté – On offense, (Anchor Man) his main duty is to sit in the hole between the defense and the midfield, intercepting moves (4.22 per game), winning the ball (3.38 tackles won per game) and laying off simple passes to his more creative teammates. On defense, (Defensive Midfielder) he has the job to protect the defensive line from breaking attackers by closing down on them quickly, holding his ground and then recycling possession from a deep position.

Parejo - On offense, (Box-to-Box Midfielder) he’ll push up to support the forwards, often surging late into the box to get on the end of crosses and pull backs as well as providing a threat from distance (1 shot per game and 4 goals outside the area).On defense, (Ball-winning Midfielder) his role shifts to a somewhat related role, with the main function of closing down the opposition and winning the ball (60% successful take-ons per game), while also helping keep possession.

Calhanoglu – On offense (Advanced Playmaker) Calhanoglu aims to drop into holes between the opposition’s midfield and defense, gaining his ground and looking to spray passes to support forwards (2.42 key passes and 2.58 chances created, per game, and 13 assists). He’ll focus in creating offense outside the box and be the first to get on the end of loose balls. On defense, (Attacking Midfielder) he'll provide more defensive security in the middle by tracking back to help the midfield, while also being quick and astute enough to start a counter-attack when he wins back possession.

Lamela – On offense, (Inside Forward) he aims to cut inside from the flanks with the options of shooting (12 goals), passing (2 key passes per game) or crossing (10 assists) as he moves into the final third. His movement should open up space for Aurier. On defense, (Defensive Winger) he aims to press the opposing full backs (1.94 fouls committed and 1.59 tackles won, per game), win the ball high up the pitch (57% successful take-ons per game) and either hold it up for the rest of the team, drive to the byline or get in a quick cross or put in a through ball.

Eriksen – Being technically proficient as well as quick, on offense (Winger) Eriksen aims to beat his man on the outside, ready to surge into space. When going forward, he’ll try and run at the defense in the final third, causing panic and indecision prior to shooting (9 goals) or attempting to make a through ball/cross to a teammate (2.89 key passes, 3.26 chances created, per game, and 16 assists). On defense, he'll play Defensive Winger.

Griezmann – He possesses all the technical attributes of a Deep-Lying Forward, the goal scoring ability (32 goals) of a Poacher and the strength and power of a Target Man. He’s equally adept at playing with others (1.9 key passes, per game, and 8 assists), fashioning chances for himself and getting on the end of team’s moves. We feel that such player should simply be allowed to do his own thing and for that reason, he’ll be our Complete Forward, offensively. On defense, he’ll shift to Advanced Forward as it brings more contribution from him defensively.

Subs:
Ricardo Pereira – Our backup full back is able to play on both sides of the wing, focusing the most of his abilities on his defensive responsibilities (2.96 interceptions, 3.62 clearances and 3.12 tackles won, per game).
Tolisso – Our second most balanced midfielder provides an industrious and versatile link between the defense and the attack. He will balance his attacking responsibilities (1 key pass, 1.15 chances created and 84% pass completion, per game) with his defensive ones (2.03 interceptions, 1.91 tackles won and 50% total duels, per game), by getting forward when necessary but mainly retaining position in the middle and attempting to thread passes to players in the final third.
Giroud – Our second striker was chosen not only to differ from the previous one but to complement him as well. He has the strength, aggression, jumping reach and aerial presence (52% aerial duels won, per game, and 11 headed goals) that make him a great Target Man to play alongside Jonas. His finishing (54% shot accuracy, per game, and 31 goals) first touch, passing ability (8 assists) and defensive contribution that make him a great Advanced Forward when playing alone.
Jonas - Our first striker pick has made a lot of success this past season putting up unbelievable numbers that got him a spot between the 5 top scorers of Europe. Playing as Poacher and using the best of his abilities, Jonas sits on the shoulder of the last defender looking to break the defensive line and run onto through balls, with the main focus of scoring goals and sniffing out opportunities in and around the box. It was with this approach that he successfully scored 37 goals while also assisting 20 times, being 3rd and tied with Ronaldo in the race for Europe’s Golden Shoe.

Set Pieces and winning/losing situation
Set piece taker: Calhanoglu. Then Eriksen.
Penalty kick taker: Griezmann.

If winning: Sub on Tolisso and Ricardo for Calhanoglu as well as Parejo, adding more defensive minded players to the team. Switch to a 5-4-1 formation with Ricardo playing LB and Alaba playing CB.
If losing: Sub on Jonas for Calhanoglu, move Eriksen to LM and Lamela to RM playing both the Wide Midfielder role, have Jonas as a Poacher upfront and Griezmann behind him as an Advanced Forward.

Explanation
As you can see, our focus on offense falls on exploiting the sides where we believe lies the biggest weakness of Foye's team.

Starting with our defense, Aurier is the only player who'll venture much forward, playing the Wing Back role and pairing up with Lamela's abilities to drift inside, as both create havoc on Foye's left side. Alaba on the other hand will focus on providing width on the midfield and setting up crosses/through balls when the opportunity arises. We've switched Hummels and Dijk since the first can handle more defensive responsibilities when Aurier goes up. Dijk is our last defender, sweeping up balls from behind the defensive line with his great concentration and strong intercepting ability. Our defense will have the advantage of the fact that Koke doesn't usually play on the right side so he won't be able to fully maximize his offense thus neutralizing what should have been a big offensive threat for Foye to a lesser one that will struggle against Eriksen's and Alaba's defense.

Regarding the midfield and following the same line of thinking, Kanté now plays on the right side. He'll be our first defender, standing in front of the defensive line and focusing on stopping counter attacks before they even begin while also pressuring opponents when they have possession of the ball. Parejo will think more defensively in both mindsets, he will focus on tightly marking Hamsik and stopping him from creating any offensive opportunities. Defensively, Calhanoglu will track back to help the midfield by filling in that 3rd spot while also being quick and astute enough to start a counter-attack. Plus with the help defensively of Eriksen and Lamela, we feel we have enough to stop Foye's attack.

On offense, and as mentioned above, Lamela, while pairing up with Aurier, will take advantage of Foye's weaker side, gaining his ground with his speed, pace and drifting inside as well as exploring the most of his goal scoring qualities in order to create offensive opportunities for himself or for his team mates. On the other side, Gaspar shouldn't be able to handle Eriksen on his own, so he will then need for Carvalho to slide over and help out defensively. This will end up creating space in the middle for both Calhanoglu and Griezmann to exploit. With the addition of Calhanoglu, our offense won't have any problems with creating deadly opportunities for our attacking players, and their pace should be able to overrun Foye's defense. This time around Calhanoglu is the man in the middle allowing Eriksen to create offense on the side, setting up Lamela with goal scoring chances or joining in on Griezmann's offensive firepower.

In conclusion, even though both teams are strong and very well balanced, we feel our team has the slight advantage in this match up considering that Foye's left side of his defense has a weakness that cannot be ignored and his team's performance will suffer because of it.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#8 » by Foye » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:07 am

Close call definitely. Team sleepy should probably win for the amount of explanation they have given alone. Sorry that I haven't been able to provide a tactical analysis. Got a lot of things going on right now in life. :oops:
I'm confident my team would win in a regular match, though. Team sleepy defense is very vulnerable on paper.
sleepyvato
Suns Forum Tank Advocate
And1: 516

Post#9 » by sleepyvato » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Congrats to Foye.

I know it's still not over but it seems the voters are on his side in this match despite our tactics that do a great job of explaining why our team is slightly better. Also I highly disagree with his last two sentences but congrats nonetheless. Good luck to both finalists and may the best team win. :)
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Baphomet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Bit premature there, there's still a day of voting to go and the margin is only two votes.
sleepyvato
Suns Forum Tank Advocate

Post#11 » by sleepyvato » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:Bit premature there, there's still a day of voting to go and the margin is only two votes.

I know but there's only a few votes left and I can't see them going our way despite our tactics, it's OK. I'm just happy to have made it this far and I'm thankful to everyone for letting us join in this draft game. I had a lot of fun and if possible, I would love to participate in next years draft. Thanks Baph. :D
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#12 » by J-Mezzy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Not over yet lads
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
sleepyvato
Suns Forum Tank Advocate

Post#13 » by sleepyvato » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:17 pm

That last minute vote. :lol:

Good luck to both finalists, it was an honor participating in this fun draft game. :)
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Baphomet » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Foye defeats sleepyPT - 11-10

Sheesh... that was close. Was level last time I checked it, I was about ready to extend the poll.
CR7PT
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#15 » by CR7PT » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:06 pm

It was a close matchup, no doubt, but I don't quite agree with the end result or Foye's opinion, to that extent. Perhaps some of his voters can share their piece of mind to why they chose his side. For starters, and in comparison, our defense doesn't look at all vulnerable. We have, arguably, the 2 best full backs in the game, the best german CB of his national team and the best CB of last year's Premier League season. Despite a good pairing, but sometimes flawed individually, in Thiago Silva and David Luiz, his fullbacks don't seem near as strong to stop our offensive power and I don't even know who Gaspar is.
Regarding the midfields you could say it's pretty well balanced, but the offense? Ribery started less games in the last 2 seasons combined than in 2013/2014, with only 11 starts last season, and if the argument is "He was injured.", well, that just helps my case. And Koke isn't best known for playing the right side and that opinion already came up in this tournament before. Only Hamsik and Zlatan present real threats with Zlatan having one of his best season. In comparison, you have 2 key mans in Tottenham's surprising title race, a good offensive asset in Calhanoglu and the player who replaced Messi, Suarez or Neymar in the top 3 for Ballon d'Or.
And I won't even bother talking about tactics...

But hey, everyone has different opinions, congratulations to Foye and hope his final game is as close as ours was.
I hope this doesn't make me sound like a sore loser though.

Return to The General Soccer Board