Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,422

Re: Transfer Thread 11 - Summer Window 2017 

Post#301 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 am

Baphomet wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Liverpool reject latest £113m Barca bid for Coutinho :o

The bid was basically an £80m base fee. £36m in mostly unachievable add-ons.

I'm more than happy the club told them to take that offer & shove it!

I might be wrong, but I think this is fairly standard deal structuring for Spanish clubs. Could you elaborate on unachievable add-ons? Like, goals/assists/appearances targets?

Him "winning the Champions League and Ballon D’Or". :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Post#302 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 am

Wow, interesting. To be fair, Barca winning the CL isn't outside of the realms of possibility, but it's still jammy as **** if true :lol:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#303 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:25 am

Baphomet wrote:Wow, interesting. To be fair, Barca winning the CL isn't outside of the realms of possibility, but it's still jammy as **** if true :lol:

Lol that team that just played RM, ain't winning no CL. :wink:
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#304 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:58 am

Baphomet wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:So Sanchez, Foyth, Barkley, and a winger, is it?

I don't understand why we aren't pursuing a top level central midfielder. They must really believe in Winks.

So, right now we have Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Dembele and Sissoko who can play CM. Of those, Wanyama and Dier are more suited to playing as a holder, and the others as more free-roaming CMs. I think Poch sees Dier as a DM/CM long-term given our two CB signings this summer in Sanchez and Foyth (not done but looking likely). I believe Wanyama is the only top class player among those. I love Dembele, am grateful for his contributions to the club, but he's quite injury prone and sometimes we're a bit predictable when he plays, so I'd prefer him to be a backup. Ideally I'd like to see Wanyama playing together with, like you said, a top class CM.

It's not a perfect 5, but I can live with it. Dier can cover for Wanyama, the CB spots, and right back in a pinch. Winks can cover for Dembele. Sissoko can be sold.

I'd like to see us bring in a winger with great pace, for me this is our most pressing concern. Martial is the dream and would be ideal for our squad, but there's no reasonable way we can make it happen. Not sure about other options. I think we have some surprises in store before deadline day.

I'd like to have Wanyama and Dier for the holding spot, a new addition (preferably a quick player who can pass) and Dembele for the second spot, and Winks as the fifth guy in development. I don't think we'll be able to get rid of Sissoko, but he may actually prove somewhat useful in a rb/rwb role given the uncertainty there so we'll see.

I agree regarding the need for a pacy winger but i would prefer someone who can operate chiefly on the right. Eriksen has been a revelation coming in off the left and i am hesitant to bring in a Martial and disrupt that arrangement. I think that was the thinking behind Zaha as a target. Lucas or Mahrez, perhaps? They don't seem like our sort. Coman would be amazing.

Not sure where Barkley fits in, to be honest.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#305 » by HIF » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 am

Baphomet wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:So Sanchez, Foyth, Barkley, and a winger, is it?

I don't understand why we aren't pursuing a top level central midfielder. They must really believe in Winks.

So, right now we have Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Dembele and Sissoko who can play CM. Of those, Wanyama and Dier are more suited to playing as a holder, and the others as more free-roaming CMs. I think Poch sees Dier as a DM/CM long-term given our two CB signings this summer in Sanchez and Foyth (not done but looking likely). I believe Wanyama is the only top class player among those. I love Dembele, am grateful for his contributions to the club, but he's quite injury prone and sometimes we're a bit predictable when he plays, so I'd prefer him to be a backup. Ideally I'd like to see Wanyama playing together with, like you said, a top class CM.

It's not a perfect 5, but I can live with it. Dier can cover for Wanyama, the CB spots, and right back in a pinch. Winks can cover for Dembele. Sissoko can be sold.

I'd like to see us bring in a winger with great pace, for me this is our most pressing concern. Martial is the dream and would be ideal for our squad, but there's no reasonable way we can make it happen. Not sure about other options. I think we have some surprises in store before deadline day.

You need Ahmed Musa. :D

I'm glad we held firm on Mahrez. Having watched him more than any of you I can't accept that he's worth one quarter of Coutinho nor half of suggurdsson. Hopefully he'll now settle his head and get back to playing those amazing passes and have 15 assists before the next transfer window opens.

I see Chelsea are likely to come back in for Danny Drinkwater. Again we shouldn't sell. we don't need the money and unless we have a replacement lined up it's too late. Personally I think Danny is a great player and I'd like to keep for the next 10 years.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#306 » by HIF » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am

Riko wrote:
HIF wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:
I actually don't like him much as you know, but given his current reputation and the spike in the market it actually seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Seems a lot to me when Mahrez only got an offer of less than half that.

Well, Mahrez is a good player but he shined only one season... You should have sold him last year.
Sigurdsson has 6 PL seasons under his belt and he always been a great player (not a game changer like Mahrez but more stable).

Mahrez is a class above siggy in my opinion. The next few seasons should show that. The whole Leicester team had a poor season last year and Mahrez was marked heavily and took time to adjust, but a win on the last day would have made us 8th in the league. Siggurdson was nearly relegated.

Whilst I'm talking about him what about Everton? They think they are the biggest team outside the top teams, they've spent a lot of money and brought in a lot of players - whilst letting their star go and they have Rooney leading their frontline. Does anyone else feel like me that they are not as good as they think and could be involved in the bottom half rather than the top 7?

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:I'd like to have Wanyama and Dier for the holding spot, a new addition (preferably a quick player who can pass) and Dembele for the second spot, and Winks as the fifth guy in development. I don't think we'll be able to get rid of Sissoko, but he may actually prove somewhat useful in a rb/rwb role given the uncertainty there so we'll see.

I agree regarding the need for a pacy winger but i would prefer someone who can operate chiefly on the right. Eriksen has been a revelation coming in off the left and i am hesitant to bring in a Martial and disrupt that arrangement. I think that was the thinking behind Zaha as a target. Lucas or Mahrez, perhaps? They don't seem like our sort. Coman would be amazing.

Not sure where Barkley fits in, to be honest.

Barkley is a big question mark for me, not just his fit here but in general. He's a talented lad no doubt, but he's carrying an injury and I don't know if he can regain his form. I hope they look at other targets in positions of need.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:18 pm

HIF wrote:You need Ahmed Musa. :D

I'm glad we held firm on Mahrez. Having watched him more than any of you I can't accept that he's worth one quarter of Coutinho nor half of suggurdsson. Hopefully he'll now settle his head and get back to playing those amazing passes and have 15 assists before the next transfer window opens.

I see Chelsea are likely to come back in for Danny Drinkwater. Again we shouldn't sell. we don't need the money and unless we have a replacement lined up it's too late. Personally I think Danny is a great player and I'd like to keep for the next 10 years.

You definitely shouldn't sell him to Chelsea. Teams should conspire not to help Chelsea. ;)

Mahrez was great today. Fair play to him for giving it his all despite wanting to leave.
HIF
RealGM

Post#309 » by HIF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:14 am

Maguire could easily be the best transfer this window.

Will be in the world cup finals for England at this rate.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by Baphomet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Zlatan officially returning to Man United.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,248

Post#311 » by Shaazzam » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Zlatan!
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
HIF
RealGM

Post#312 » by HIF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:53 pm

injured till December

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#313 » by Baphomet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:10 pm

HIF wrote:injured till December

True but it doesn't matter, really. I imagine his presence in the dressing room alone is a huge boost for them, and when he returns he will likely still be a very effective player.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#314 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Tigersrule
RealGM
And1: 7,543

Post#315 » by Tigersrule » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:14 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crazy how much Barca has to overpay to get players now...Coutinho should be next
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#316 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Tigersrule wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crazy how much Barca has to overpay to get players now...Coutinho should be next

No, they can :censored: off!
Tigersrule
RealGM
And1: 7,543

Post#317 » by Tigersrule » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Tigersrule wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No, they can :censored: off!

Well damn...they better overpay for someone else ..I dont want them getting Hazard lol
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#318 » by britblazerdude » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:42 pm

These transfers are simply unsustainable in value. They don't even reflect what the players generate.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
entourage
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#319 » by entourage » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:30 pm

britblazerdude wrote:These transfers are simply unsustainable in value. They don't even reflect what the players generate.

What are you basing that statement off? There is a reason teams pay these transfer fees for players, it's because it DOES reflect the value of the player to the club. Barca don't need to sell 100MIL worth of Dembele jerseys to get that value back. They need to continue to win trophies at the highest level to continue to take the highest possible share of the ever growing revenue (TV deals, tickets, merchandise, global market expansion, prize money, etc...). How can they do that without having the top players? Top players are rare and therefore they cost rare amounts. Do you think Real Madrid hasn't "generated" the amount they paid for Ronaldo when that fee was considered astronomical? Neymar is already being called a "steal" after 2 games. This is the cost of football at the highest levels.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#320 » by Next Coming » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:13 am

Dortmund would be vending machine for sex in jail. What a joke club.

Return to The General Soccer Board