222 million euros for Neymar?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Re: 222 million euros for Neymar? 

Post#101 » by Baphomet » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:38 pm

entourage wrote:I'm still not buying your "political agenda" here. You are saying that PSG's Qatari owners are buying Neymar to help Qatar? No sorry, Qatar got the World Cup to help Qatar, but that's a different thread. This thread is about Neymar's transfer from Barcelona to PSG. This is a sporting move, and the words "slavery, torture, and corruption" have no place here, they belong on a political or human rights forum discussing the state of affairs in countries which you probably don't know enough about to post on. The financial backing is actually being hidden (as much as possible in this modern day media driven world) to avoid the exact attention you are saying they are seeking.

You are one of the many people unhappy with foreign investment into sporting clubs. And while I admire the old school thinking that a "club is more than a club, and should be built from within" you ignore the beneficial aspects of having foreign owners investing millions of dollars into your country and it's clubs. You are hitting out at Man City's owners, but they have done more in the last 5 years to develop football globally than any other club in the world. Do you even know what they are doing at the youth levels? Do you know what they are doing outside of the UK?

You are mad that players seek out opportunities in foreign countries, but how do you expect the game to grow around the world?! Do you just want everyone to play in your precious Premier League? Rather than look down on the players who go to countries like China, USA, and the Middle East, you should appreciate their alternative thinking. It's what makes us human. Wanting to explore opportunities. If you had the opportunity to move to a foreign country to ply your trade, help that country develop that industry, be a part of something bigger, and make an extraordinary salary for you and your family to compensate you for taking the road less traveled, you wouldn't consider it? And if you took that opportunity, would you want to be chastized for it? I mean seriously, your one sided view of football and footballers is ridiculous.

I don't mean to offend, and I know there are problems in the WORLD, not just football, but in a thread about the biggest transfer in the history of sports, you are focused on all the wrong things. Modernize your thinking, otherwise you may find that your "dear love" of football is replaced by hate for a game that is being globalized at a faster rate than ever before.

Ted asked why I found the transfer to "leave a bitter taste", I responded. I don't expect you or anyone else to feel the same way, I was merely explaining my reasoning. If you feel that I'm focused on the wrong things, you're not obligated to respond to me and inevitably draw this aspect of the discussion out. Of course, you could continue to attack viewpoints that I didn't express, which seems to be the vogue strategy at the moment.

A few bullet points:

- Yes, PSG's owners bought Neymar for sporting reasons. They also bought him for political reasons. I'm not sure why you're denying this or why it's such a sticking point when there is plenty of present context to suggest political incentive. You can question my knowledge on the subject, that's your prerogative, but Qatar's investment in international sports is part of their global imaging strategy, that's a fact. Qatar has a recent history of egregious human rights abuses. That's also a fact. If you and others aren't interested in that aspect, that's fine, but I am. Here are a couple of articles discussing the Neymar deal's place in the wider picture of Qatar's strategy:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/04/middleeast/neymar-qatar-connection/index.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-03/neymar-seen-bringing-more-than-trophies-to-psg-s-qatari-owners

- On a football level, it's interesting and obviously a big statement of intent from PSG, but not a game changer. It's not the first time PSG have bought top players and it won't be the last. PSG have also been a good team for a while now, so it's not really going to shake up the established status quo of top teams. It might be enough to push them a bit further in the CL, and perhaps compete where they fell short in the past.

- I'm not concerned about players playing in foreign leagues, nor am I looking down on them. It's their life and their money. I'm concerned about the growing influence of deeply authoritarian nations in a sport I care about. What about this stance do you find so controversial? Why do you see it fit to police the discussion away from it?
oken
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#102 » by oken » Fri Aug 4, 2017 9:09 pm

As RealGM is the perfect place for this I really would want somebody write some good article about the parallels between Neymar Sr. and LaVar Ball. The new generation of dads that handle everything about their project children.
entourage
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#103 » by entourage » Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:29 pm

Baphomet wrote:Ted asked why I found the transfer to "leave a bitter taste", I responded. I don't expect you or anyone else to feel the same way, I was merely explaining my reasoning. If you feel that I'm focused on the wrong things, you're not obligated to respond to me and inevitably draw this aspect of the discussion out. Of course, you could continue to attack viewpoints that I didn't express, which seems to be the vogue strategy at the moment.

A few bullet points:

- Yes, PSG's owners bought Neymar for sporting reasons. They also bought him for political reasons. I'm not sure why you're denying this or why it's such a sticking point when there is plenty of present context to suggest political incentive. You can question my knowledge on the subject, that's your prerogative, but Qatar's investment in international sports is part of their global imaging strategy, that's a fact. Qatar has a recent history of egregious human rights abuses. That's also a fact. If you and others aren't interested in that aspect, that's fine, but I am. Here are a couple of articles discussing the Neymar deal's place in the wider picture of Qatar's strategy:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/04/middleeast/neymar-qatar-connection/index.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-03/neymar-seen-bringing-more-than-trophies-to-psg-s-qatari-owners

- On a football level, it's interesting and obviously a big statement of intent from PSG, but not a game changer. It's not the first time PSG have bought top players and it won't be the last. PSG have also been a good team for a while now, so it's not really going to shake up the established status quo of top teams. It might be enough to push them a bit further in the CL, and perhaps compete where they fell short in the past.

- I'm not concerned about players playing in foreign leagues, nor am I looking down on them. It's their life and their money. I'm concerned about the growing influence of deeply authoritarian nations in a sport I care about. What about this stance do you find so controversial? Why do you see it fit to police the discussion away from it?

I'm not attacking(which I made clear), I'm discussing viewpoints that you have clearly made which invoke discussion, the point of a forum. Brand and Politics are not one in the same. Qatar won't be hoping Sharia law takes over the world by PSG purchasing Neymar. The Emir of Qatar will not gain or lose power by PSG getting Neymar. Working conditions of migrant laborers around the world IS concerning, but has nothing to do with Neymar.

You still seem to be missing the point that I am trying to make to you(and the point of this thread): The sporting move of acquiring a top 5 player (something PSG has never done) entering the prime of his career is massive, it is GAME CHANGING. Do you recall the last time such a transfer occurred? It was Cristiano Ronaldo from MU to RM. It changed the landscape of world football. Look at the years since, what has happened not only at MU and RM, but in the BPL and La Liga as well as the Champions League. You are not just underestimating the impact of this transfer on world football, but essentially dismissing it, while trying to spin a political agenda of "Nations taking over football." If you don't think that stance is controversial, you aren't understanding the grasp of what you are typing, and where you are typing it.

Your selective amnesia when replying is coy but not overlooked. You stated: "there are two motivations when big name European/South American stars move there: Exorbitant salaries, for the players moving there, and promotion of image for the buyers, which I alluded to in my last post." I simply pointed out that this is NOT the case. I'm not policing anything, I'm telling you that your statement is wrong and I demonstrated why. Why do you see it fit to ignore those reasons and revert to your political agenda? Why is everything you are posting bringing you back to this political agenda? It baffles me, which is why I'm engaging in the discussion.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#104 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 5, 2017 1:47 am

Given that you've already branded me a "Qatar hater" in this post of yours it's obvious that we're wasting each other's time here: viewtopic.php?f=435&p=58020614#p58020614

So, feel free to talk about the footballing implications of this transfer as much as you desire.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#105 » by Foye » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:25 pm

Now Neymar wants to sue Barca because they are not willing to pay him his 20 mil. bonus for renewing his contract.

That is a few days after he tried to tell us his move to PSG wasn't about money...what a money whore.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,453

Post#106 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:47 pm

Foye wrote:Now Neymar wants to sue Barca because they are not willing to pay him his 20 mil. bonus for renewing his contract.

That is a few days after he tried to tell us his move to PSG wasn't about money...what a money whore.

His dad is the one pulling the strings.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#107 » by Foye » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:Now Neymar wants to sue Barca because they are not willing to pay him his 20 mil. bonus for renewing his contract.

His dad is the one pulling the strings.

Doesnt matter who pulls the strings. Still shady as ....

Neymar and his dad are insatiable.
sovietchild
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#108 » by sovietchild » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:35 pm

What? Where? Source?

Return to The General Soccer Board