Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 8

sovietchild
Sophomore
And1: 37

Ronaldo deserves it 

Post#1 » by sovietchild » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for five matches after pushing the referee following his red card in Sunday's Clasico.

When I first watched the reply, my first thought was he deserved it because of his past dives.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,441

Re: Ronaldo deserves it 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Karma for being a tool & taking his shirt off after the goal. :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
entourage
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#3 » by entourage » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm

clearly was NOT a dive, there was definite contact by Umtiti, maybe not enough for a penalty but the same could be said about the one Suarez earned on the other end. I could understand a no-call, but giving him a 2nd yellow in that situation was a mistake by the ref. Ronaldo shouldn't have reacted that way but in the heat of the moment I've seen players get away with worse. Should be reduced on appeal IMO.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#4 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Neither a dive nor a penalty. That's irrelevant though. You don't get to shove the referee because he's made a wrong decision.
sovietchild
Sophomore

Post#5 » by sovietchild » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:30 am

While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself. - Douglas Horton
sovietchild
Sophomore

Post#6 » by sovietchild » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm

entourage wrote:clearly was NOT a dive, there was definite contact by Umtiti, maybe not enough for a penalty but the same could be said about the one Suarez earned on the other end. I could understand a no-call, but giving him a 2nd yellow in that situation was a mistake by the ref. Ronaldo shouldn't have reacted that way but in the heat of the moment I've seen players get away with worse. Should be reduced on appeal IMO.

I actually missed that one about Suarez. They should suspend him, too.

Kahn_2001
Starter
And1: 2,191

Post#7 » by Kahn_2001 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:21 am

Suarez is the biggest POS in the sport right now, fits the Barca way of cheating perfectly.

Ronaldo didnt dive, the ref was awful and probably should have been punched for rewarding Suarez with that embarrassing dive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
credit: TurboZone
Stephback 3
Sophomore
And1: 440

Post#8 » by Stephback 3 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 am

Ronaldo already lost his balance and fell before there was even minimal contact with Umtiti. I don't think it necessarily qualifies as a dive, but it's unsportsmanlike to appeal for a penalty in that situation so I think it was perfectly reasonable for the referee to book him for it.

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion but that dive by Suárez was actually a thing of beauty. He could be a training camp instructor for a breed of aspiring actors and comedians.
jamaalstar21 wrote:Kawhi is long chill Jordan and Jordan is Kawhi on crack.
sovietchild
Sophomore

Post#9 » by sovietchild » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Stephback 3 wrote:... it's unsportsmanlike to appeal for a penalty in that situation

This
Stephback 3 wrote:Also, this might be an unpopular opinion but that dive by Suárez was actually a thing of beauty. He could be a training camp instructor for a breed of aspiring actors and comedians.

xchange55
Senior
And1: 489

Post#10 » by xchange55 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:08 am

Stephback 3 wrote:Ronaldo already lost his balance and fell before there was even minimal contact with Umtiti.

Surprised at how many people think the contact didn't take Ronaldo down. Ronaldo is fine until Umiti goes hip to hip with him. You cannot go through the player to win the ball, and not like Umiti even touches the ball anyways. This is a clear foul for me. Ronaldo changed his direction to position the ball which is why you see his body swing. But he did not lose his balance until Umiti makes contact - I think this is pretty clear in the replays.

Having said that, really difficult to judge this in real time, but the ref awarded Suarez who is a known diver so....
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#11 » by Ted Lasso » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 am

xchange55 wrote:
Stephback 3 wrote:Ronaldo already lost his balance and fell before there was even minimal contact with Umtiti.

Surprised at how many people think the contact didn't take Ronaldo down. Ronaldo is fine until Umiti goes hip to hip with him. You cannot go through the player to win the ball, and not like Umiti even touches the ball anyways. This is a clear foul for me. Ronaldo changed his direction to position the ball which is why you see his body swing. But he did not lose his balance until Umiti makes contact - I think this is pretty clear in the replays.

Having said that, really difficult to judge this in real time, but the ref awarded Suarez who is a known diver so....

Umtiti comes nowhere near going through Ronaldo. He doesn't even lean into him, which is something defenders often do under such circumstances. He is allowed to make contact with him, and he has no obligation to touch the ball while doing so. It's simply not a foul.

Return to The General Soccer Board