Sergio Ramos should be banned from the WC

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Sergio Ramos should be banned from the WC 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 am

And this is coming from a Spain national team fan, but that was one of the most disgusting plays I've ever seen.

Short of being completely barred from playing in the WC for Spain, any punishment would be too lax for him.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Sergio Ramos should be banned from the WC 

Post#2 » by HIF » Sun May 27, 2018 11:57 am

bollocks.

Footballers need to toughen up a bit. It's almost becoming a non-contact sport. Not sure how defenders are supposed to defend sometimes especially with the cheating attackers diving at every opportunity.

Ramos didn't intentionally put Salah out of the game and the touch on Karius head was really nothing, he tripped over his foot.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#3 » by Andi Obst » Sun May 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I hate him, but let's calm down a little here.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#4 » by Merc_Porto » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 pm

HIF wrote:Ramos didn't intentionally put Salah out of the game

Bollocks.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#5 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun May 27, 2018 4:39 pm

I don't know what is wrong with soccer fans. the willingness to defend ramos and to call his play on salah 'just part of the game' or 'a legitimate play on the ball that had an unfortunate result' is mind-boggling. i assume that anyone here is also a basketball fan, right? well can anyone imagine what would happen if 5 minutes into game 7 tonight marcus smart were to grab lebron's arm, lock it to his body, spin and dive to the ground, driving lebron's shoulder into it and seriously injuring him? Would you all be saying the same thing then? pretty sure not. smart would be massacred for his obvious viciousness and it would not even be up for discussion. and yet ramos clearly does exactly this and everybody rushes to defend him? I'm not a fan of either team in particular and had no horse in that race yesterday but the unwillingness of soccer fans to state the obvious is really really weird. Ramos tried to hurt Salah and succeeded. there's no mystery about it, and it's not the first time it has happened in sport. of course he should be punished.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#6 » by Riko » Sun May 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Naaah, these kind of things should be settle on the field. In old days the other Liverpool players wuold had put an haaland but now...
Btw last week someone link me the first chelsea cup win in 1955 and I swear, if it was a today's match wuold end in 8 players for team.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#7 » by Matty » Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 am

The hockey watcher in me really wanted this to be settled on the field with Ramos getting KOed by Van Dijk or Lovren.

The basketball watcher wanted the play to be reviewed and Ramos subsequently getting ejected/red carded from the game.

I don't think he should get suspended from the WC but man oh man I don't think I've loathed a player more so than him in my entire life of watching sports.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:28 am

Riko wrote:Naaah, these kind of things should be settle on the field. In old days the other Liverpool players wuold had put an haaland but now...
Btw last week someone link me the first chelsea cup win in 1955 and I swear, if it was a today's match wuold end in 8 players for team.

Stop with the old days crap. This is 2018. He not only ruined the CL finals, but possibly Egypt's chances in the WC. If Salah doesn't play in the WC because of this, Ramos shouldn't either.

That was the ultimate goon move and completely uncalled for.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#9 » by coldfish » Mon May 28, 2018 1:14 pm

I was curious about what the read would be on a soccer/basketball board. As I watched that, my first thought was the Kelly Olynyk arm bar on Kevin Love. It was even worse in that once Ramos locked Salah's arm back, he drove him into the ground. That was absolutely crazy what Ramos did.

I doubt that Ramos even gets a sniff of a punishment but this is why goons exist in hockey. Soccer seems to outright reward this type of play whereas in other sports, the player would get suspended or just plain get his ass kicked.

Hurting the opposing team's best player is just about the oldest trick in the book. Just about every sport has a way of dealing with or preventing it. Its insane that it just blatantly happened in the Champion's League final and nothing is going to come of it.
HIF
RealGM

Post#10 » by HIF » Mon May 28, 2018 4:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Riko wrote:Naaah, these kind of things should be settle on the field. In old days the other Liverpool players wuold had put an haaland but now...

Stop with the old days crap. This is 2018. He not only ruined the CL finals, but possibly Egypt's chances in the WC. If Salah doesn't play in the WC because of this, Ramos shouldn't either.

That was the ultimate goon move and completely uncalled for.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#11 » by Next Coming » Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

LOL! Settle down. It's part of football. Refs need to be a little wiser though.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#12 » by CalamityX12 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:And this is coming from a Spain national team fan, but that was one of the most disgusting plays I've ever seen.

Short of being completely barred from playing in the WC for Spain, any punishment would be too lax for him.

easy, I feel the diving deserves more hate than that.

it was a freak, intentional dirt move by Ramos.

He held on to Salah's arm with the intent to bruise something or strain it. It was bush league but not a guaranteed. He didn't let go but he knew the consequences of what could happen rather than certifying the outcome of the fall.

With that said, to me, Ramos knew what he was doing and that's BS and dirty in my book.

FIFA won't do sh*t... and i'm not saying that because I'm Real but there's been awful displays by these professionals over the decade without consequence...

I hope Salah can make it to the WC. He deserves it.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Man of Steel
Lead Assistant
And1: 548

Post#13 » by Man of Steel » Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Let’s not get it twisted about who grabbed who here. Ramos held on because Salah was falling down. Unfortunate he went down with him and Salah’s position made him take the brunt of it, but showing a fall from multiple sides gives you a better indication of what’s going on.

Saying Ramos did this on purpose is laughable, but whatever fits your narrative I guess.
HALA MADRID || GO LEAFS GO || LET'S GO RAPTORS
HIF
RealGM

Post#14 » by HIF » Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 am

Man of Steel wrote:Image

Let’s not get it twisted about who grabbed who here. Ramos held on because Salah was falling down. Unfortunate he went down with him and Salah’s position made him take the brunt of it, but showing a fall from multiple sides gives you a better indication of what’s going on.

Saying Ramos did this on purpose is laughable, but whatever fits your narrative I guess.

And they said I didn't watch the match because I argued in Ramos favour.

Overall Attackers cheat far far more often than defenders.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#15 » by magik9113 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:16 pm

No mention yet of how he concussed Karius?
Someone needs to be a hero and break his leg/end his career in order to save others from serious injury
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#16 » by magik9113 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:18 pm

HIF wrote:bollocks.

Footballers need to toughen up a bit. It's almost becoming a non-contact sport. Not sure how defenders are supposed to defend sometimes especially with the cheating attackers diving at every opportunity.

Ramos didn't intentionally put Salah out of the game and the touch on Karius head was really nothing, he tripped over his foot.

This is absurd hif

It is a player who knows how to hurt ppl and get away with it due to his experience. Being overly rough is one thing, but but he is intending to inflict pain.
And
If we are going to say attackers deserve more punishment for diving, Ramos dives and acts more than most
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#17 » by paperboymafia » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm more concerned about his elbow on Karius, that was more peak Ramos than the Salah tangle, which felt more unfortunate than malicious. Who knows though, the guys a prick.

Return to The General Soccer Board