2018-19 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Re: 2018-19 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#301 » by Baphomet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:28 am

EArl wrote:Sad to hear that they found Sala. I guess his family can at least have closure.

It's all incredibly sad. Feels like there have been a lot of football tragedies this season.

Cardiff have won their last two games, the first time they've done so in the top flight for about 50 years. You can tell how much it all means to them.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#302 » by Baphomet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Chelsea are getting absolutely pummeled here, 4-0 down and not even half an hour played. I know it's City, but this surely must be the end for Sarri.

When City are up for it like this, I don't think there's a team out there that's better. Absolutely ruthless.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#303 » by Trilogy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:Chelsea are getting absolutely pummeled here, 4-0 down and not even half an hour played. I know it's City, but this surely must be the end for Sarri.

When City are up for it like this, I don't think there's a team out there that's better. Absolutely ruthless.

City are great but Sarri is ridiculously stubborn with his selection and tactics. I don't think we've switched out of the 4-3-3 for a single moment this year regardless of situation (i.e. falling behind, defending a lead). His system is pretty ill suited for the current personnel and it's hurt the team a lot. Kante is the best DM in the world and he's not even playing in his best position. He's actually done an admirable job pushing up as a box to box guy but it's still a huge waste. Even Hazard got pushed into the false 9 role for a while which he's not good at.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#304 » by Baphomet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Trilogy wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Chelsea are getting absolutely pummeled here, 4-0 down and not even half an hour played. I know it's City, but this surely must be the end for Sarri.

City are great but Sarri is ridiculously stubborn with his selection and tactics. I don't think we've switched out of the 4-3-3 for a single moment this year regardless of situation (i.e. falling behind, defending a lead). His system is pretty ill suited for the current personnel and it's hurt the team a lot. Kante is the best DM in the world and he's not even playing in his best position. He's actually done an admirable job pushing up as a box to box guy but it's still a huge waste. Even Hazard got pushed into the false 9 role for a while which he's not good at.

Yeah, I agree 100% re: Kante. I don't know why he persists with Jorginho as well, he's become a walking yellow card after his good start to the season, but the stagnant movement up top hasn't helped him. In fairness to Sarri though, it's not his fault that Alonso completely switched off for that first goal, and Barkley headed the ball back into the box for Aguero's second.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#305 » by Baphomet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Carra with the bants

Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#306 » by Riko » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:42 am

Like I said last summer, Chelsea is simply not good enough and they are on a path to become a middle tier club once again.
Sarri or another coach doesn't matter, because the board is incompetent and keep weakening the team while wasting hundreds of million of pounds in transfer fees. Now they have just 4-5 top tier players and a bunch of middle tier level players.

The twitt right above saying "Sarri has turned Chelsea into Arsenal", the truth is "the board has turned Chelsea into Arsenal". At least Arsenal's board had the excuse of stadium's debt, Chelsea's board have no excuse, just incompetence.
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 410

Post#307 » by KG Leonard » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am

Baphomet wrote:Son is a great player and Spurs fans adore him, but you're right that he's probably a bit underrated by the general public and media. To be fair, Dele Alli deserves the hype he gets as well, he's unplayable when he's in good form and makes some of the most intelligent runs I've seen from a midfielder since Lampard.
He is underrated because no matter he is destroying teams in CL people are still surprised.

Imho Dele Alli is overrated because when he is in form you can compare Lampard but that comparison sounds laughable because he is in form like 4-5 top 4 games in a season or a month here or there. Lampard didn't become 200 goals scoring midfield legend by be that uneven. Gerrard didn't become great enough to play for Real or Barca by being good now and then. That's the trouble with English National team who have great forwards like Kane,Rashford but the midfield is light years from world class players like Scholes,Gerrard,Lampard.

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Riko wrote:Like I said last summer, Chelsea is simply not good enough and they are on a path to become a middle tier club once again.
Sarri or another coach doesn't matter, because the board is incompetent and keep weakening the team while wasting hundreds of million of pounds in transfer fees. Now they have just 4-5 top tier players and a bunch of middle tier level players.

The twitt right above saying "Sarri has turned Chelsea into Arsenal", the truth is "the board has turned Chelsea into Arsenal". At least Arsenal's board had the excuse of stadium's debt, Chelsea's board have no excuse, just incompetence.

They've also just been hit with a transfer ban for the next two windows.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47329293

No doubt their lawyers will be working their magic with the appeal, and it will be conveniently overturned.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by Baphomet » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

KG Leonard wrote:He is underrated because no matter he is destroying teams in CL people are still surprised.

Imho Dele Alli is overrated because when he is in form you can compare Lampard but that comparison sounds laughable because he is in form like 4-5 top 4 games in a season or a month here or there. Lampard didn't become 200 goals scoring midfield legend by be that uneven. Gerrard didn't become great enough to play for Real or Barca by being good now and then. That's the trouble with English National team who have great forwards like Kane,Rashford but the midfield is light years from world class players like Scholes,Gerrard,Lampard.

Skickat från min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Those England legends were not complete players at 21/22 either. Dele is far from being a finished product yet. I'm not saying he'll ever be as good as those guys prime vs. prime, and when I was comparing Dele to Lampard, I only meant his ability to make instinctive runs into goalscoring areas and finish. Gerrard and Scholes are two of the best to ever play the game, but were different players to Dele.

How many midfielders have scored 77 goals and a whole host of assists before they've even turned 23? That is an exceptional record. This is before he's even developed any consistency, imagine if he can bring greater focus in every game, and even if he doesn't, he will be a fantastic player if he continues at his current trajectory. Unlike mediocre prospects like Wilshere or Barkley, Alli actually deserves his hype.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#310 » by The_Brecht » Sat Mar 2, 2019 2:06 pm

Offside.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#311 » by The_Brecht » Sat Mar 2, 2019 2:20 pm

What a poor penalty.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#312 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 2, 2019 6:35 pm

Like clockwork, we fall apart when it matters

Should have been 3 losses in a row today
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#313 » by coldfish » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:54 pm

I wonder when the next season will be when Man City does not win the title. They are set up for a very long run and have the funds to support it.
ZoLo
Senior
And1: 305

Post#314 » by ZoLo » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:00 pm

City still has to play at Old Trafford. And these are very tough weeks in April with a lot of games. City probably has to play FA Cup too. It would be incredible if they get through April without giving up points.
Maybe it´s not the worst thing for Liverpool if they lose against Bayern. Because the team looks very tired at the moment and this would be a big regeneration bonus for the final weeks.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 4, 2019 5:01 pm

coldfish wrote:I wonder when the next season will be when Man City does not win the title. They are set up for a very long run and have the funds to support it.

They might be the best team I've ever seen in the PL. At the very least, up there with the treble winning United team, Arsenal Invincibles, Chelsea in the mid 00s under Mourinho, and Paul Jewell's Derby County.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#316 » by Baphomet » Sat Mar 9, 2019 5:08 pm

God I hate this team's inability to hold leads and show gumption, I'd almost rather we just be completely **** and finish mid table every year than be good but blow it when it actually counts

All eggs in CL basket now
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#317 » by coldfish » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 pm

England with 4 in the final 8 for CL. Bayern and RM are out. The FA has to be dancing right now.

I wonder how many times the prem has to do this to get a 5th slot.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,329

Post#318 » by MaliBrah » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Just remembered my password and I’m back in time for the top4 and title race.

I hope Emery’s figured out a way to win some away games man
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#319 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm

MaliBrah wrote:Just remembered my password and I’m back in time for the top4 and title race.

I hope Emery’s figured out a way to win some away games man

Welcome back. It's to our benefit that other clubs are imploding right now, but good to be competing for Champions League births again.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#320 » by Next Coming » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Dawg I just want to win one PL. We've lost only once this season and we're probably not going to win the league LOL!

Return to The General Soccer Board