AFC cup 2019- Semi Finals/Final

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,332

AFC cup 2019- Semi Finals/Final 

Post#1 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:04 am

Probably a little too late for this thread, and I doubt it'll have much interest here, but is anyone else watching the AFC cup this year?

The semi final matchups are

Iran vs Japan Monday at 6 AM Pacific
and Qatar vs UAE Tuesday at 6 am Pacific

My very brief and not too informed analysis of the tournement:

My home country Iran (so I'm not going to hide my bias) has looked solid in what could be Carlos Quieroz' last major tourney with the team. Haven't gotten scored on once and just defeated china 3-0...winning 4 and drawing one game so far. They'll be playing AFC cup regular fixture and four time champion Japan, who have actually won every single game, but with some less impressive scorelines.

On the other side you have two surprising contenders, but not too surprising when you consider context. UAE is the host and while they only got 5 points in the group stages with some more unimpressive scores, they did just defeat reigning champions australia 1-0 in the quarter finals.

And then you have Qatar....a team who has dominated. Qatar has invested heavily in its national team in preparation for their first world cup appearence as the host, and the investment seems to be paying off. They also, like iran, have scored 12 goals without conceding one....but unlike Iran they have done so while winning ever game, including impressive wins against Saudi Arabia in the group stages, and Iraq and South Korea in the knock out round.

So who do you guys got? is anyone else even remotely paying attention to this :lol:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,637

Re: AFC cup 2019- Semi Finals/Final 

Post#2 » by Baphomet » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:24 am

Well, I can't say I've been following the tournament too closely, but I'm kinda glad Korea lost so that Son can get back to Spurs and help with our injury crisis. :lol:

Return to The General Soccer Board