van Bommel to Wolfsburg
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Re: Coaches Thread 

Post#82 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:40 am

Lots going on in the Premier League coaching rodeo:

Spurs are close to appointing Nuno Espirito Santo. I actually rate him a fair deal, I think he did some good things with Wolves and they were only so poor last season due to losing Jota and Jimenez. Before then, Nuno was actually pretty highly regarded and was tipped to take over at a number of big clubs. It's not a glamorous signing, but I don't agree with the Spurs fans bellyaching about it like we were going to get someone of Pep or Klopp's standing, without any CL football. Still, this manager search has been a farce and this one might still collapse knowing Spurs.

Everton are getting Rafa Benitez by the looks of things. Solid manager and has a wealth of PL experience, but I can't see him helping Everton in taking that next step. Given how beloved he is at Liverpool, it also feels like a somewhat controversial hire.

Patrick Vieira to Palace. Interesting choice. I can't really speak about his coaching acumen as I don't watch MLS or Ligue 1, but there's no denying he was a leader on the pitch. Interestingly, he replaced Lucien Favre at Nice, who turned Palace down earlier this month.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#83 » by HIF » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:45 am

The Spurs hunt has been a fiasco. The fans and the owners seem to think they are world elite and the managers are making it clear they don't think so.

Agree with what Baph says about Santo, he's a very good manager and the fans need to realise that they are on a par with wolves and not a much better catch. Also agree about the reason for wolves decline last season.

Surprised wolves didn't sign Benitez, he has the caché.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Baphomet » Thu Jul 1, 2021 4:21 pm

On a par with Wolves. Behave. :lol:

They're historically a big club but haven't done anything of note for even longer than Spurs.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#85 » by Foye » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:08 pm

Spurs and Arsenal are goofed.

I expect even further regress in the upcoming years.
HIF
RealGM

Post#86 » by HIF » Sat Jul 3, 2021 10:45 am

Baphomet wrote:On a par with Wolves. Behave. :lol:

They're historically a big club but haven't done anything of note for even longer than Spurs.

6-9 place. Spurs like Wolves are not an elite team. They are challengers. Same group as Leicester, Everton and a few others too.

HIF
RealGM

Post#87 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:45 am

Amazed that Watford haven't sacked Ranieri yet given their history but now it looks like Rafa could be the next to be fired. It wasn't long ago that fans were talking about him being the one everyone wanted (when he was at Newcastle) he was the conté/pochettino of that season.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Baphomet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

HIF wrote:Amazed that Watford haven't sacked Ranieri yet given their history but now it looks like Rafa could be the next to be fired. It wasn't long ago that fans were talking about him being the one everyone wanted (when he was at Newcastle) he was the conté/pochettino of that season.

Rumours of Rooney or a Martinez return at Everton.

I was kind of hoping that Wazza would stay and maybe perform a miracle and keep Derby up in the Championship, though I'm sure as a Leicester fan you would disagree. :D
HIF
RealGM

Post#89 » by HIF » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:05 pm

Baphomet wrote:
HIF wrote:Amazed that Watford haven't sacked Ranieri yet given their history but now it looks like Rafa could be the next to be fired. It wasn't long ago that fans were talking about him being the one everyone wanted (when he was at Newcastle) he was the conté/pochettino of that season.

Rumours of Rooney or a Martinez return at Everton.

I was kind of hoping that Wazza would stay and maybe perform a miracle and keep Derby up in the Championship, though I'm sure as a Leicester fan you would disagree. :D

You know me too well :D Personally I hope that Rooney stays at Derby and they get relegated. I can't see Martinez giving up the Belgium job, especially in a world cup year, to manage Everton. I think he'd be stupid to ever go back to Everton. I think Everton would be crazy to take a risk on such an inexperienced coach as Rooney but it wouldn't surprise me.

Potter would be a dream coach for them, and a coach I would happily have at Leicester. Hope he isn't stupid enough to leave Brighton for them though.

For some reason I just don't like Everton. it makes no sense as they are not big 6 and a decent fanbase. it's probably because they stole some of our players and coaches and bought players we wanted because they are a "bigger" club than us and it just rankled me.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Baphomet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 pm

HIF wrote:You know me too well :D Personally I hope that Rooney stays at Derby and they get relegated. I can't see Martinez giving up the Belgium job, especially in a world cup year, to manage Everton. I think he'd be stupid to ever go back to Everton. I think Everton would be crazy to take a risk on such an inexperienced coach as Rooney but it wouldn't surprise me.

Potter would be a dream coach for them, and a coach I would happily have at Leicester. Hope he isn't stupid enough to leave Brighton for them though.

For some reason I just don't like Everton. it makes no sense as they are not big 6 and a decent fanbase. it's probably because they stole some of our players and coaches and bought players we wanted because they are a "bigger" club than us and it just rankled me.

I have nothing against Everton personally, I can empathise with them being a big club neighboured with an even bigger, more successful and more annoying red club.

Nothing about them makes sense these days, though.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Baphomet » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:27 pm

Burnley sack Dyche.

Has to be one of the most insane coaching decisions I've seen in a while.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#92 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:Burnley sack Dyche.

It is, this guy has a net spend of £21 million over his time in charge. He has kept them up all the time when that squad has no business being in the prem. He’s overachieved in my opinion, I think he deserves a crack at a decent team. I feel bad for him but he’s shown what he can do so he should get another job with ease.
HIF
RealGM

Post#93 » by HIF » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:56 am

Baphomet wrote:Burnley sack Dyche.

Just love his honesty and willpower. Worse than the wilder sacking. I'd have him at my club anytime. Sad day for football.

Do the owners really think 8 games is enough for a new philosophy?

Personally think he would have kept them up.

Everton must be happy.

HIF
RealGM

Post#94 » by HIF » Tue Nov 8, 2022 3:00 pm

Hassenhuttl has gone

(Rodgers still in)