Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:14 am

I hope the mods don't mind, I think it's time to start anew.

The 2019-2020 La Liga season will be interesting at the top, and I don't anticipate quite as deep a competitive field as last season. Truthfully, that's good and bad. Bad, because on any given weekend (Saturdays and Sundays only, for now), you won't see the sort of fiercely contested matches that led to such a tight point spread by the end of season. More blowouts, and consequently, more rotations for the elite clubs. I think that this good in a way, because it will leave the top teams in a better position to fight for European trophies. Let's discuss the last year's top tier (Best XI in bold):

BARCELONA
The domestic champions reinforced their attack with Antoine Griezmann, and are rumored to be in the running for a reunion with Neymar. Their old guard Alba, Pique and Busquets are looking longer in the tooth and leakier than ever. Even MATS is known to let in a howler or three occasionally. But other than at LB, they have quality depth to spell (or perhaps replace) them.
TER STEGEN - Neto
ALBA - Wague
PIQUE - Tobido
UMTITI - Llenglet
ROBERTO - Semedo
BUSQUETS - De Jong
RAKITIC - Arthur
COUTINHO - Vidal
GRIEZMANN - Rafinha
SUAREZ - Malcom
MESSI - Dembele

ATLETICO
My mattress-makers are barely recognizable from a year ago. Godin, the aforementioned Griezmann, Luis, Juanfran, Rodri and others have departed. In their place, they've brought in a very different profile. The team screamed stalwart defense in the past; now, they seem to suggest creativity and possession. Will Simeone be able to switch tactics, or revert to old ways and attempt to fit round pegs into square holes at the first sign of trouble? He has maintained that the style of his first 7 years in charge was based on resources available. This new group will be a fertile proving ground of Cholo's ability to adapt.
OBLAK - Adan
LODI - Vrsaljko*
HERMOSO - Felipe
GIMENEZ - Savic
TRIPPIER - Arias
PARTEY - Llorente
SAUL - Herrera
KOKE - Vitolo
LEMAR - Correa
COSTA - Morata
FELIX - Kalinic

REAL
With a squad sheet talented enough to field two European qualifiers, you'd expect better results. The problem is, they are stuck between Galactico eras, with the budget of both. Marcelo isn't ancient, but his defensive liabilities are more exposed now that Pepe is gone and Ramos is less of a force. Reigning Ballon d'Or winner Modric and Benzema can still be decisive, but are not accustomed to seeing primary attention from opponents. Hazard's arrival should help, but he'll need time to adjust before he can lead. By the time he does, will this team look the same? To top it all off, world-class exiles Gareth Bale and James Rodriguez cast a pall on the dressing room, as they seek to develop a host of talented youngsters. "Too much of a good thing" does exist.
COURTOIS - Navas
MARCELO - Mendy*
RAMOS - Militao
VARANE - Nacho
CARVAJAL - Odriozola
CASEMIRO - Silva
KROOS - Valverde
MODRIC - Asensio*
HAZARD - Vinicius
BENZEMA - Jovic*
ISCO - Rodrygo

Beyond the Big Three, Sevilla practically bought an entirely new roster. Valencia will be interesting with Maxi Gomez. If you want a breakdown of any other team, make it yourself! Let me know your thoughts, and let's keep track of predictions as the campaign rolls along.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Re: 2019-20 Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by Baphomet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Don't mind at all, users are encouraged to start new threads. Great post, too.

The preseason game between Atleti and Real that finished 7-3 to Atleti was probably one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while.

Costa scoring 4 goals then getting sent off after starting a brawl is quite possibly the most Costa thing to ever happen.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#3 » by Foye » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Will be Barca again.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#4 » by The_Brecht » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:59 am

Atlético looks like a beast the coming season.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Narco_Cowboy11
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#5 » by Narco_Cowboy11 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 pm

With or without Neymar, I got Barca winning the league and should be co-favorites for CL (along with Liverpool).

My hopes for Real is finishing at least 2nd domestically and making the Quarters in CL...but will that be enough for Zidane to remain (especially with recent grumblings centered around Bale)?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Narco_Cowboy11 wrote:With or without Neymar, I got Barca winning the league and should be co-favorites for CL (along with Liverpool).

My hopes for Real is finishing at least 2nd domestically and making the Quarters in CL...but will that be enough for Zidane to remain (especially with recent grumblings centered around Bale)?

On Barcelona, yes, I think they rightfully the odds-on favorite in La Liga, they're gonna win a ton of matches 4-2. I don't have them close to co-favorites in the CL, though, their defense and midfield are too unreliable. The most organized backlines in Europe have proven capable of suppressing their vaunted attack. If you do that, Barca are vulnerable. As much as I love Antoine, I don't see him changing that narrative. If I had to name CL favorites, I would say Liverpool, Juventus, Mancester City, PSG, Atletico, Bayern (I believe they will splash cash for a winger late in the window), Tottenham and then Barcelona.

As for Real, they have every right to shoot for the stars, but they better watch out behind them as well. I like Sevilla and Valencia a ton this season; 5th for Los Blancos may seem unthinkable, but they are going to have their hands full fending off that pair in the standings and on the pitch. It won't shock you then to know that I don't see Real getting out of the group stage. I don't see this fall from grace putting pressure on Zidane, though. Perez knows that Zinedine is a top manager; the club just needs an overhaul. They've made some smart signings that will bear fruit in 2021, but until then, humble pie is on the menu.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:19 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Atlético looks like a beast the coming season.

I sure hope so, the early returns have been glorious to behold!

Before folks on this thread brand me an Atletico Stan, I have serious reservations about my own club. I think it will be Costa's best statistical season ever. We will be fun to watch; the creativity of Koke, Partey and Felix will be prime time TV. The main concern is integrating ALL the new faces, and Simeone's resolve to a new style. Our depth looks great on paper, but it did last July as well. Our training regimen is known to be a tough adjustment for newcomers. If they fail to adapt early, or more likely, if they DO adapt to the new style and that style doesn't win, what would Simeone do? Let's say we start to fall in the standings; does he revert to familiar tactics, and send the entire squad into confusion? If we hint at second-guessing, we're sunk. Win, lose or draw, I think we have to stick to the new style for multiple seasons, to truly reap benefits.
-- Steve Martin
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#8 » by Hellcrooner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:08 am

pity that neymar cant play for both Barcelona and Real Madrid this season.

that would enhace our chances at winning la Liga.

:D
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#9 » by The_Brecht » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:24 am

I was quite impressed with Real Madrid last weekend.
After a dreadful preseason, they seemed to play more like a team.
They got lucky with the offside decision late in the first half, but nevertheless a boost for their confidence.

- Dust means thirsty.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:34 pm

So how you guys feel about Felix? I'd like to know the perspective of guys who don't live in Portugal.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#11 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:12 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:So how you guys feel about Felix? I'd like to know the perspective of guys who don't live in Portugal.

No doubt he's a great talent, but the expectation were far too high.
The prices clubs pay for young, inexperienced players are insane resulting in immense pressure.

Patience is the key.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#12 » by The_Brecht » Wed Jan 8, 2020 8:14 pm

Speaking of immense pressure, the hate/critics Courtois received since arriving in Madrid had almost disappeared.
He's one of the best in the world, no doubt about that.

- Dust means thirsty.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#13 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Jan 8, 2020 10:37 pm

The_Brecht wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:So how you guys feel about Felix? I'd like to know the perspective of guys who don't live in Portugal.

The prices clubs pay for young, inexperienced players are insane resulting in immense pressure.

Patience is the key.

So you believe he'll be a star in the spanish league some day?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#14 » by Foye » Wed Jan 8, 2020 11:29 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

Patience is the key.

Its normal for a young player to go through a slump.
Especially if you have a 126 mil € price tag on your shoulders.

Havertz is facing the same issues here in Germany as well btw. He was phenomenal last year and has disappointed this season.

Next year is make or break for these two guys I guess. If they continue to disappoint they might very well take the Julian Draxler career path.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#15 » by The_Brecht » Thu Jan 9, 2020 10:26 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

Patience is the key.

If he gets the time and space to develop, he can be a star in la liga.

- Dust means thirsty.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#16 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:25 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

Patience is the key.

In La Liga, sure, if he sticks around.

I thin that he can work in Atletico, but TBH I'd be alot higher on his potential if he were with a club and manager that didn't demand so much defensively from their attackers. It COULD work out and make him even better for the long run, but it certainly doesn't run well with his natural inclination. Oh well, he's kept a good attitude, I'm rooting for his success here.
-- Steve Martin
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#17 » by SgtPepper » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:16 am

I'm not so sure. Simeone's Atleti has been very hit-or-miss in terms of integrating new players with the exception of the backline. I think Felix's potential independent of Atleti is high but with Atleti anything can happen. The one silver lining of Atleti's forward situation is that effectively Felix should be prioritized as 1st or 2nd option with Morata since Diego Costa has been so bad and being a worse investment.

Also with the Barca managerial swap I think Madrid becomes the favorite to win the league.

Excited to see how they do in the CL after a very rocky start of season. The squad is weak in the right wing (more by Zizou's tactics but partially because Bale is not covered by an equivalent) and thin at striker (huge quality dropoffs after Benzema in the pecking order). Zizou has done an amazing job of integrating in the next gen of starters in mid & d-line along with the vets. Militao, Mendy, and Fede are all close enough to Ramos, Marcelo, and Modric that the squad doesn't need to go desperately into the market. Odeegard's loan is also working, Hachimi is growing really well in Dortmund, and with that RW weakness might make sense to have a hard run at Sancho down the line if the Mbappe prayer doesn't work over the next 2 seasons.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#18 » by The_Brecht » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Barcelona is reportedly going to sell Arthur to Juventus for about 80M.
They'll also buy Pjanic from Juventus at about 70M.

They really lost the plot over there.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#19 » by The_Brecht » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:11 am

Real Madrid grinding out the wins while Barca struggles.
La Liga is going to the capital this season.

- Dust means thirsty.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#20 » by JohnPferdelack » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:17 am

Yes but they only won the league because of the internal problems of Barca.
France Football recently reported that L. Blanc could replace Setien as head coach.

Return to The General Soccer Board