UEFA European Championship 2020 - Knockout Stage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,010

Re: UEFA European Championship 2020 - Knockout Stage 

Post#861 » by Pharmcat » Thu Jul 8, 2021 6:16 pm

Baphomet wrote:The referee had a mare. The free kick for Damsgaard's goal was soft (great hit though), and when Kane was brought down in the box in the second half after his penetrating dribble, that was far more of a penalty than the one they actually gave on Sterling.

On the balance of play, England deserved to win despite a courageous first half from the Danes. They had very few serious attempts to speak of, where it felt like England were knocking on the door for a while in the second half. It was actually an enjoyable game, I think, only really threatened by the standard puzzling refereeing decisions.

I think England have been exceptional this tournament and have genuinely surprised me, borefest against Scotland aside, and people who have posted here for a while know how rarely I actually praise England. They're the team whose consistent and Groundhog Day-like failures caused me to lose interest in international football in general. Despite the footballing quality of the tournament being far greater than the turgid Euro 2016, I would argue that all the key teams besides Italy, England and Denmark have been below average to disappointing. There haven't been any other standouts, so belittling England's quality of opposition feels like missing the forest for the trees.

It feels special to have bypassed two of England's greatest hoodoos: Germany and semi-finals. The final is one heck of a task though. I don't even think the Italians are particularly special on an individual level, despite their unbeaten run. Better than England, perhaps, but this isn't the team of Del Piero, Totti, Nesta, Pirlo, Buffon, Cannavaro, etc. What worries me is their incredible tactical discipline and mental strength under Mancini. England have been defensively resolute in this tournament, but they're going to need to be far more clinical going forward to beat Italy. Spain huffed and puffed but despite making chances they couldn't manage it.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Sterling. Man has been possessed in this tournament.

My problem with England is the silly turnovers they do. Like they don’t hit a pass hard enough and the opposing player gets it. Only a matter of time those turnovers cost them.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#862 » by El Turco » Thu Jul 8, 2021 6:47 pm

HIF wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:Denmark look tired. That trip to Baku and playing in 30 C weather did it

It's nothing to do with travelling. England are younger and have better stamina. It was always going to be England getting stronger and stronger as the game progressed.

no, travel is a big factor. who knows if result would have been different but when you are playing in such a condensed schedule and players coming off a condensed season, there is a huge difference between coming from another continent and playing at home.

really between playing at home to lack of competition to benefitting from poor ref calls, england had every advantage to win it all. they need to get it done this year, dont think they will come this close again.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#863 » by AK47MVP » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:07 am

Another dutch referee to call England Italy game. Interesting...
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#864 » by HIF » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:45 am

Pharmcat wrote:
HIF wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Look at the 45 to 48 sec mark, the defender clips his knee/shin and gets no ball. It’s weak call but that’s a foul

Read on Twitter

Regardless England is going to get destroyed by Italy

We'll see. Persoanlly I think it'll be close. Italy will take the lead and England will be the stronger team in the second half. If only Southgate doesn't get all Kane-homer and again isn't willing to sub him for flair and speed players I think that England will win. England has more talent.

HIF: did you think it was a penalty?

At the time , no but I've watched replays that show it was a foul. Often not called but still a foul.

People seem to have forgotten that it's just a game of football.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#865 » by HIF » Fri Jul 9, 2021 8:47 am

El Turco wrote:
HIF wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:Denmark look tired. That trip to Baku and playing in 30 C weather did it

It's nothing to do with travelling. England are younger and have better stamina. It was always going to be England getting stronger and stronger as the game progressed.

no, travel is a big factor. who knows if result would have been different but when you are playing in such a condensed schedule and players coming off a condensed season, there is a huge difference between coming from another continent and playing at home.

really between playing at home to lack of competition to benefitting from poor ref calls, england had every advantage to win it all. they need to get it done this year, dont think they will come this close again.

Love the bitchin. Normally the Euros are only in one country. Just pretend that it was in England this year and cry me a river of tears if we win. :wink:

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#866 » by El Turco » Fri Jul 9, 2021 11:10 am

HIF wrote:
El Turco wrote:
HIF wrote:

Love the bitchin. Normally the Euros are only in one country. Just pretend that it was in England this year and cry me a river of tears if we win. :wink:

teams camp in one country, they dont travel couple of time zones from azerbaijan to play. and when you get run off the field by the italians at home, it is back to being the laughing stock of europe.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
HIF
RealGM

Post#867 » by HIF » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:47 pm

El Turco wrote:
HIF wrote:
El Turco wrote:

teams camp in one country, they dont travel couple of time zones from azerbaijan to play. and when you get run off the field by the italians at home, it is back to being the laughing stock of europe.

:lol: So losing to the Italians in a European final makes a team a laughing stock. I understand the joke here and it begins with El T.

HIF
RealGM

Post#868 » by HIF » Fri Jul 9, 2021 4:50 pm

El Turco wrote:
HIF wrote:
El Turco wrote:

I guess the Turks covered themselves in glory but they'll be back to win the world Cup next year. :wink:

AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#869 » by AK47MVP » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:44 pm

HIF wrote:At the time , no but I've watched replays that show it was a foul. Often not called but still a foul.

People seem to have forgotten that it's just a game of football.

I would agree it was a minuscule contact but not enough to send Sterling flying. Way bigger contact was not called throughout the game anywhere else on the field on both English or Danish players. So to make that call at such crucial state of the game is very inconsistent officiating. England was better, deserved to win, run Danes of the field and really did not need that gift by a ref to win. Danes played last extra time man down so I feel England would have scored regardless...
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#870 » by aggerrard » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:56 pm

Good luck to both teams in the final.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#871 » by Pharmcat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Italy blowout coming up
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#872 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:38 pm

7 defensive minded players.
Insane imo.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,628

Post#873 » by Baphomet » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Feel sick to my stomach with nerves. Come on England.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#874 » by Foye » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Didnt think I would ever say this but:

Go Italy!
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,205

Post#875 » by Mamba81p » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Hooligans strike again, what a surprise.
Never rooted for Italy but I am going to do it today
okboomer
Pro Prospect
And1: 752

Post#876 » by okboomer » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:03 pm

Southgate a genius for starting Trippier, wow.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,241

Post#877 » by djsunyc » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:03 pm

well that was quick.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,986

Post#878 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Hell yeah. Great finish.
okboomer
Pro Prospect
And1: 752

Post#879 » by okboomer » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Kane is really playing some good balls from the deep position.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#880 » by Pharmcat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:37 pm

Italy playing better since that early goal

Return to The General Soccer Board