UEFA European Championship 2020 - Knockout Stage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: UEFA European Championship 2020 - Knockout Stage 

Post#941 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:35 am

Baphomet wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:That Chiellini collar yank will bring me chuckles for years. That's a man doing what he had to do to get the job done.

I'm ready for the next 55 years of unwarranted arrogance and overhype from English footballing media.

From what I've seen over the duration of this tournament both around here and on social media, the most profoundly annoying and arrogant people have typically been among England's detractors rather than the opposite.

True there has been so much jealousy. England making a final in any tournament is a great achievement. How arrogant of the detractors to think that we should win it.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Post#942 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am

Blaming this on Rashford, Sancho and/or Saka when they had the balls to even take a penalty under such enormous pressure is some real low-life loser ****. And that's not even considering the disgusting racism unloading on Twitter, Instagram etc. So much human garbage out there.

Definitely happy Italy won that. Deserving champion.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#943 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:41 am

HIF wrote:Should have been a red card like the stamp on Grealish.

Yeah...no.

HIF
RealGM

Post#944 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:56 am

It's so funny to hear all the little girl supporters from other countries belittling England. We made the final and were as good as the winners. It's a great result and better than France, Germany, Belgium.......Turkey etc... The jealousy of our support is ridiculous.

As for the game we lost because Southgate didn't have the courage to make changes when they were needed. It was as though he wanted it to go to Penalties either for redemption (or to make himself feel better). It seems to me that England had by far the better squad and considering their ages we will only get better over the next few years. We scored because we attacked, yes it was too early but we showed that width, speed and skill would win the game for us. Then southgate did what he does, try to defend for a victory. Our defence did well but there is no way you can defend for 90 minutes without conceding.

We had a good first half but it was obvious that changes were needed at half time Kane who had a good first half became anonymous for the next 1h15 and as I've said over and over he's only good when the team dominate the ball and he doesn't have to defend from the front or run. He put no pressure at all on the Italians and allowed Verrati and Joghino to get the ball and the time to distribute it. southgate should have watched how Vardy stopped Jorghino getting the ball in the FA Cup final. Kane's inability then meant that Mount, who had a good first half, ran out of steam trying to put pressure on the players that Kane should have been pressurising and it took far too long for Mount to be replaced. Henderson then came on and tried to run past Kane to do the pressurising but he really doesn't have that ability, he's a deeper Mid who can pass the ball. If Kane and mount had ben replaced early in the second half, England would have won. They could easily have played Sterling as a false 9 with Saka and Grealish wide or brought Rashford on to play at 9.

England did not expose the old legs that Chiellini and Borucci have. Our youngsters would have exposed them totally but southgate kept a completely ineffective Kane on - perhaps it was for 1 penalty!!!

Bringing Rashford and Sancho on so late just to take a penalty put far too much pressure on their kicks. They knew as they walked up for the ball that this was the only reason they were there and they hadn't even acclimatised to the match and the occasion. Terrible terrible management. Managerial courage was everything compare that to Mancini who used all his subs so that his players could keep up with England's superior stamina even taking off Chiesa and Veratti - bigger calls than taking off Kane and Mount earlier.

Well done to Italy. they won and played well - but they weren't really any better than England. Well done to England for a great competition. Sterling, Shaw and Phillips came out as 3 of the best players in the tournament. Maguire, Stones, Trippier, Rice had an excellent game in the final. TBH I've only been disappointed with Southgate and Kane and the team surprised me with how well they played together.

England have a great group of young players who would benefit from a coach like Terry Venables was to lead them into the world Cup. Brendan Rodgers, Tuchel, Klopp, Pep and any of the other top prem coaches would have seen this team win the title this time around (and they wouldn't have kept Kane on).

Also congrats and commiserations to the English supporters who got behind their team so well.

Now let's get rid of all the hangers on and get back to real football and real fans.

HIF
RealGM

Post#945 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am

Little Nathan wrote:

Yeah...no.

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#946 » by mcmurphy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:23 am

HIF wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

Yeah...no.

do you see the game?
jorginho he had to amputate his leg so as not to hit Grealish

... and red card to Chiellini because stopped a player by pulling the shirt... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HIF
RealGM

Post#947 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:30 am

mcmurphy wrote:
HIF wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
Yeah...no.

do you see the game?

... and red card to Chiellini because stopped a player by pulling the shirt... :lol: :lol: :lol:

go to bed... like these pieces of xxxx

Of course I watched the game. Joghino was late and shouldn't have gone in for the tackle. it wasn't his first bad foul.

Pulling the shirt off the back of a player that has skinned you and has a direct run for goal is a red card - perhaps you don't watch football.

Not sure what a few racist idiots have to do with result but if that's the case you also don't really follow football do you. Italian football is far more racist - ask lukaku and the monkey chants and the bananas thrown on the pitches, Ask Balotelli and as for violence you haven't followed Italian or European football in general quite clearly.

HIF
RealGM

Post#948 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:34 am

HIF wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:
HIF wrote:

do you see the game?

go to bed... like these pieces of xxxx

Of course I watched the game. Joghino was late and shouldn't have gone in for the tackle. it wasn't his first bad foul.

Pulling the shirt off the back of a player that has skinned you and has a direct run for goal is a red card - perhaps you don't watch football.

Not sure what a few racist idiots have to do with result but if that's the case you also don't really follow football do you. Italian football is far more racist - ask lukaku and the monkey chants and the bananas thrown on the pitches, Ask Balotelli and as for violence you haven't followed Italian or European football in general quite clearly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Racism and Violence in Calcio: No Heroes in this Story <a href="https://t.co/gRKLnrkyVh">https://t.co/gRKLnrkyVh</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/chiesaditotti?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@chiesaditotti</a></p>&mdash; Blue Fox (@FoxisBlue) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#949 » by Andi Obst » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:14 am

HIF wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

Yeah...no.

Yeah, I watched the game. Still no.

I can at least see the argument for a red card for Jorginho because it ends up looking really bad. It's still obvious to see that he doesn't step on Grealish's leg intentionally. They're both going in for a very risky challenge there. The Chiellini foul isn't even close to a red, that's just ridiculous.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#950 » by The_Brecht » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:28 am

All in all a good result for England, although I feel like they should've won the tournament.
I think you guys should sack Southgate, because it can only get better if you have a manager who dares to use the attacking and creative talent that England has.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#951 » by fbalmeida » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:48 am

The penalties are obviously a crapshoot, but England had one shot on goal for 118 minutes of football.

So yes, Italy was really much better than England.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#952 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:51 am

HIF wrote:
El Turco wrote:italy is lacking a clinical finisher to take advantage of their dominance, they should be up comfortably.

seems you were so wrong about the English annihilation. again.

lol you had 1 shot on goal in 118 minutes of game play at home, italy toyed with you as i expected. if they had any elite attacking talent to speak of it would have been brazil '14 level of embarrassment for england. it takes series of fortuitous events for mediocre teams like england to have a shot at the ship and once they got there they needed to capitalize as they probably wont be this lucky again. denmark capitalized in 92, greece in 04...england couldnt get it done. and despite your frustrations and crying it was a fair result, match showed england is not on the same level as the champs.

HIF wrote:You have a real problem with England don't you? Is it an inferiority complex? We got to the final and matched the champions. Good tournament for us again.

i dont think you know what that means, inferiority complex requires superiority. in 50 years england has as many medals as turkey, austria, denmark, greece less than croatia, sweden, poland etc. we are more likely to be jealous of swedish football, at least they have hot fans.

the reason english national team has been a running joke in football for such a long time is their weird delusion of grandeur and expectation that they could win every tournament they enter despite not having any track record, i mean their fans still think they ''matched the champions'' despite mustering up a single shot at home in almost a game and a half. nothing personal, if swedish fans and media were as delusional, they would be butt of jokes too.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#953 » by fbalmeida » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:58 am

Baphomet wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:That Chiellini collar yank will bring me chuckles for years. That's a man doing what he had to do to get the job done.

I'm ready for the next 55 years of unwarranted arrogance and overhype from English footballing media.

From what I've seen over the duration of this tournament both around here and on social media, the most profoundly annoying and arrogant people have typically been among England's detractors rather than the opposite.

Arrogance and annoyance is easy to find just about anywhere, but absolutely nothing on continental Europe can match the English media hype-factory. It's all part and parcel and adds spice to the game and draws out attention and money. But it also takes the arrogance cake and eats it.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
HIF
RealGM

Post#954 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
HIF wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
Yeah...no.

Yeah, I watched the game. Still no.

I can at least see the argument for a red card for Jorginho because it ends up looking really bad. It's still obvious to see that he doesn't step on Grealish's leg intentionally. They're both going in for a very risky challenge there. The Chiellini foul isn't even close to a red, that's just ridiculous.

Doesn't have to be intentional anymore, just dangerous for a red.

The Chiellini foul was a cynical attempt to stop a goal. There's no place for that in Football. It'd be a sin bin even in Rugby.

HIF
RealGM

Post#955 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:40 pm

fbalmeida wrote:The penalties are obviously a crapshoot, but England had one shot on goal for 118 minutes of football.

So yes, Italy was really much better than England.

They didn't attack because they weren't losing after the 2nd minute. Italy were no better than England and that's why it went to penalties.

HIF
RealGM

Post#956 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:46 pm

El Turco wrote:
HIF wrote:
El Turco wrote:italy is lacking a clinical finisher to take advantage of their dominance, they should be up comfortably.

seems you were so wrong about the English annihilation. again.

lol you had 1 shot on goal in 118 minutes of game play at home, italy toyed with you as i expected. if they had any elite attacking talent to speak of it would have been brazil '14 level of embarrassment for england. it takes series of fortuitous events for mediocre teams like england to have a shot at the ship and once they got there they needed to capitalize as they probably wont be this lucky again. denmark capitalized in 92, greece in 04...england couldnt get it done. and despite your frustrations and crying it was a fair result, match showed england is not on the same level as the champs.

HIF wrote:You have a real problem with England don't you? Is it an inferiority complex? We got to the final and matched the champions. Good tournament for us again.

i dont think you know what that means, inferiority complex requires superiority. in 50 years england has as many medals as turkey, austria, denmark, greece less than croatia, sweden, poland etc. we are more likely to be jealous of swedish football, at least they have hot fans.

the reason english national team has been a running joke in football for such a long time is their weird delusion of grandeur and expectation that they could win every tournament they enter despite not having any track record, i mean their fans still think they ''matched the champions'' despite mustering up a single shot at home in almost a game and a half. nothing personal, if swedish fans and media were as delusional, they would be butt of jokes too.

You're aware that your team succumbed to the Italians in a 3-0 stroll aren't you?

You have an inferiority complex to a nation with delusion's of grandeur then. It makes you even more pathetic. Get to a final or Semi-final and then get back to me.

I'm proud of the team's performance throughout the tournament. They did so much better than I expected.

HIF
RealGM

Post#957 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:47 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Arrogance and annoyance is easy to find just about anywhere, but absolutely nothing on continental Europe can match the English media hype-factory. It's all part and parcel and adds spice to the game and draws out attention and money. But it also takes the arrogance cake and eats it.

We owned half the world you know? :lol:

TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 582

Post#958 » by TwolvesFanRome » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 pm

HIF wrote:

Should have been a red card like the stamp on Grealish. Ref had no intention of sending someone off in a final though - no balls.

I disagree with you friend. Jorginho's foul was not aimed at hurting Grealish. He intervened on a contested ball. He touched the ball and the foot ended up with inertia on the opponent's leg. Chiellini's foul is a common "tactical foul" only a little more spectacular, also not aimed at hurting but only at stopping the restart. If Chiellini had pulled the opponent's shirt in the middle of the field in a less blatant way, no one would have talked about a red card.

Do we want to talk about Sterling's attitude? Come on...

In my opinion the faults are to be found in the management of the game by Southgate. He made some big mistakes and I'm not just talking about penalties.
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Post#959 » by Foye » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:07 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:
HIF wrote:

Should have been a red card like the stamp on Grealish. Ref had no intention of sending someone off in a final though - no balls.

I disagree with you friend. Jorginho's foul was not aimed at hurting Grealish. He intervened on a contested ball. He touched the ball and the foot ended up with inertia on the opponent's leg. Chiellini's foul is a common "tactical foul" only a little more spectacular, also not aimed at hurting but only at stopping the restart. If Chiellini had pulled the opponent's shirt in the middle of the field in a less blatant way, no one would have talked about a red card.

Do we want to talk about Sterling's attitude? Come on...

In my opinion the faults are to be found in the management of the game by Southgate. He made some big mistakes and I'm not just talking about penalties.

People are really fast to ask for red cards these days with all the instant replays.

Yellow was more than enough in both scenes.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,628

Post#960 » by Baphomet » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Gonna go ahead and lock this up. This line of discussion never goes anywhere productive.

Congrats again to Italy on winning the tournament and thanks to everyone who posted this year. The World Cup is next year so get ready for all this again in 12 months.

Return to The General Soccer Board