Premier League 2020/2021

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Re: Premier League 2020/2021 

Post#201 » by The_Brecht » Sun Dec 6, 2020 9:05 pm

HIF wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:Let the opponent dominate the game, absorb the pressure en hit them on the counter attack.
Mourinho is such a ******* tool, who gets far too much credit.

But he is winning.

Yes, he is.
Still, I wouldn't want him as a manager.
I don't like his cynical vision on football.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#202 » by Young Stapler » Sun Dec 6, 2020 10:24 pm

No reason to be angry about Arsenal. We are a small club now and can't expect results against the top clubs. Our reality is now hoping for some respect by finishing in the top 10 and that will not happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#203 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 6, 2020 11:04 pm

The_Brecht wrote:
HIF wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:Let the opponent dominate the game, absorb the pressure en hit them on the counter attack.
Mourinho is such a ******* tool, who gets far too much credit.

But he is winning.

Yes, he is.

Loving this fume, Mourinho is living in Arsenal fans' heads rent free. I suppose Pound Shop Pep's strategy of banging 40 crosses into the box per game is enterprising football, then. It's not even like Arsenal have a big man up top to put it in the net or knock it down from those balls into the box. They're absolutely clueless.

I'll add that our "cynical" manager is helming a team that has scored 13 more goals than Arsenal already this season, has the best goal difference in the league, and smashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford on the front foot. People seem to have forgotten about that already. We won't win every game, it's not possible, but I feel like we're developing the right mentality to win football matches and it's showing already. City home, Chelsea away, Arsenal home. 0 goals conceded.

Mourinho arrived at a team that had its morale bottomed out after a CL final loss, a talisman like Eriksen wanting out, Vertonghen on his last legs, Kane being fed up with nothing left in the tank. Everything has transformed since he arrived. To give just one example, he's turned someone like Aurier, with his famously laissez-faire approach to defending, into a defensive workrate machine. The whole team is buying into the concept of defending doggedly as a group and being clinical and efficient in attack, even if it means sitting back for big chunks of games. We actually have a gameplan and so far it's working. That's why Mourinho deserves credit. He's taken the body that Pochettino built, and given it a spine.

A manager's job is to win football matches, they have no obligation to please anyone. And, by extension, ideology doesn't mean anything if you cannot win when it counts, as any Spurs fan knows. I'm 100% behind what Mourinho's doing, but then I've always been a fan of how he sets his teams up.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,323

Post#204 » by rapstarter » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:59 am

Kane and Son, as wonderful as they are, are overperforming. What is surprising though is how good Aurier and Dier have looked. Just last season, they looked done at the top level. If Tottenham can find a couple of players in January to give Hojbjerg and Alderweireld some rest, I think they will be a genuine title contender.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#205 » by HIF » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:23 am

Young Stapler wrote:No reason to be angry about Arsenal. We are a small club now and can't expect results against the top clubs. Our reality is now hoping for some respect by finishing in the top 10 and that will not happen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

I wouldn't say you are a small club but you are going through a weak patch and you are not top 4 material.

I'm not laughing at you because you are still a top 10 side who will challenge for Europe at the end of the season and a direct rival for my own team in that respect.

It's interesting to note that Arteta hasn't had the criticism that other coaches have got. He came without any head coach experience to one of the biggest teams in Europe at a pivotal time. The media bigged him up and as yet they haven't turned on him as they have on every other "Big" team coach. Not sure the fans are even giving him that difficult a time. I think he's part of your problem and no different to Olé at Manchester.

He hasn't worked through the management and coaching system and learned through the tough experience that is required. This is where coaches like Mourinho have such an advantage and why José has his team at the top of the table.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#206 » by HIF » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:54 am

Baphomet wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:
HIF wrote:
But he is winning.

Yes, he is.

Loving this fume, Mourinho is living in Arsenal fans' heads rent free. I suppose Pound Shop Pep's strategy of banging 40 crosses into the box per game is enterprising football, then. It's not even like Arsenal have a big man up top to put it in the net or knock it down from those balls into the box. They're absolutely clueless.

I'll add that our "cynical" manager is helming a team that has scored 13 more goals than Arsenal already this season, has the best goal difference in the league, and smashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford on the front foot. People seem to have forgotten about that already. We won't win every game, it's not possible, but I feel like we're developing the right mentality to win football matches and it's showing already. City home, Chelsea away, Arsenal home. 0 goals conceded.

Mourinho arrived at a team that had its morale bottomed out after a CL final loss, a talisman like Eriksen wanting out, Vertonghen on his last legs, Kane being fed up with nothing left in the tank. Everything has transformed since he arrived. To give just one example, he's turned someone like Aurier, with his famously laissez-faire approach to defending, into a defensive workrate machine. The whole team is buying into the concept of defending doggedly as a group and being clinical and efficient in attack, even if it means sitting back for big chunks of games. We actually have a gameplan and so far it's working. That's why Mourinho deserves credit. He's taken the body that Pochettino built, and given it a spine.

A manager's job is to win football matches, they have no obligation to please anyone. And, by extension, ideology doesn't mean anything if you cannot win when it counts, as any Spurs fan knows. I'm 100% behind what Mourinho's doing, but then I've always been a fan of how he sets his teams up.

I've always liked Mourinho even though his style of play is not so entertaining. Sadly this level of football is about results. It's about winning. You lose playing exciting football you're still going to get the sack, you win the title with boring football and the fans will love you. Of course Mourinho seems to have become a manager who gets a team to win and then the team seems to destroy itself from the inside but I'm quite sure that Spurs fans will take 1 league title and then a miserable season and José out over another top 6 finish with no title in site.

I don't know if Spurs can do that yet. the Spurs I know have no bottle when the pressure builds up, but if there is any manager who can cure that, given the incredible talent in the team, then it's Mourhino. Their chances of winning the title have never been higher but I wouldn't even put it at 50% just yet. It's far too early in the season.

HIF
RealGM

Post#207 » by HIF » Tue Dec 8, 2020 9:45 am

Pogba not as good as he thinks he is

Manchester not as good as they think they are.

A match made in heaven. Please stay Paul.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#208 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:36 pm

Even if Mourinho carries Tottenham to a title, he's always worn out his welcome.

If you've watched All or Nothing series on Amazon Prime about Tottenham and Mourinho coming in, you see that he gaslights the players, builds them up but he says something completely different about them to his coaches in Portuguese.

Maybe his former players eventually catch on and he loses them?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,472

Post#209 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 8, 2020 7:39 pm

Mourinho is a good short term manager. Best at getting results right away. But yeah...When things don't go well, it tends to blow up in his face in a big way.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#210 » by The_Brecht » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Ole again under pressure, so they'll win today.

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#211 » by HIF » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:06 pm

What a great game to watch in the first half. And a 3-0 lead makes it look even better.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#212 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Man Arsenal is hitting rock bottom, losing to Burnley.

How long can they keep Artetta? Or are they going to let him make big moves during the January transfer window?
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,323

Post#213 » by rapstarter » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:57 pm

In a weekend, every big club (minus Leicester) dropped points, Arsenal decide to outdo everyone.
HIF
RealGM

Post#214 » by HIF » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:14 pm

rapstarter wrote:In a weekend, every big club (minus Leicester) dropped points, Arsenal decide to outdo everyone.

Not sure Arsenal deserve the title big club at the moment.

The_Brecht
Starter

Post#215 » by The_Brecht » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:28 pm

wco81 wrote:Man Arsenal is hitting rock bottom, losing to Burnley.

How long can they keep Artetta? Or are they going to let him make big moves during the January transfer window?

If he lasts - which I think he should - I would hope they back him in the transfer window.
Also get rid of the dead weight. We hold on too long to players who shouldn't be playing for the club.
They get chance after chance and blew it.

Xhaka should never play a game for Arsenal again.

- Dust means thirsty.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#216 » by Young Stapler » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:42 pm

Arsenal with 2 goals in nearly 2 months. WOW
HIF
RealGM

Post#217 » by HIF » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:23 am

I have never understood why all the Arsenal managers like Xhaka so much. He always looks a liability on the pitch. Arsenal will be helped by his suspension.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,627

Post#218 » by Baphomet » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:33 am

HIF wrote:I've always liked Mourinho even though his style of play is not so entertaining. Sadly this level of football is about results. It's about winning. You lose playing exciting football you're still going to get the sack, you win the title with boring football and the fans will love you. Of course Mourinho seems to have become a manager who gets a team to win and then the team seems to destroy itself from the inside but I'm quite sure that Spurs fans will take 1 league title and then a miserable season and José out over another top 6 finish with no title in site.

I don't know if Spurs can do that yet. the Spurs I know have no bottle when the pressure builds up, but if there is any manager who can cure that, given the incredible talent in the team, then it's Mourhino. Their chances of winning the title have never been higher but I wouldn't even put it at 50% just yet. It's far too early in the season.

It's unlikely that Spurs win the title, yeah. Liverpool are still the favourites, in my eyes, regardless of what happens in tomorrow evening's match. I'm liking how this season is shaping up though, there are some interesting teams hovering at the top of the table and more than it has in a while the Premier League feels like a proper free-for-all.

The chaotic Christmas fixture period usually weeds out the pretenders, so we'll see what happens there. My hopes are that Spurs are able to get back into the CL via top 4 or the EL. Anything more than that would be a bonus for me.
HIF
RealGM

Post#219 » by HIF » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:08 am

Love what Mourhino is saying about Klopp at the moment.

So true!

HIF
RealGM

Post#220 » by HIF » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:09 am

I'm hoping for a Spurs Pool draw tonight with a Leicester win. :-)

Return to The General Soccer Board