Concussion in football

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Concussion in football 

Post#1 » by HIF » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 am

So what are your thoughts?

Personally I think heading the ball is an important part of the game. To ban heading will make football a different sport altogether. It's possible to do but it'll be a radical change. I am quite sure that every time you head the ball there is a possibility of damaging your brain but it's just one of those things you need to accept in life, like crossing a street and the potential of being hit by a car.

As for the Concussion substitutes, I think this will quickly be abused within the game. Already we have players who haven't even been touched or maybe lightly touched on the head going to the floor and not moving to get the game stopped which is seriously messing with the flow of games. And to say the other team can make a substitution at the same time is just silly. it's doesn't even anything up. I think if a player is substituted for concussion he should then have to miss the next game or two. If it's really that bad then the player should be checked out properly.

Football is becoming a more and more non-contact sport. It's already a very different game to the one I grew up with in the 60's and 70's. I still like it but it's not the same. The removal of heading would make the game similar to the indoor 5 a side we used to play as kids.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,459

Re: Concussion in football 

Post#2 » by Foye » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:19 am

It's really not fun when you have to go for a header on a ball that was kicked 70 meters from the goalkeeper. Or collide with a head from someone else.
I can see that banning headers for the under 11 teams makes sense to protect the children.

However, headers are part of the game. Would be a totally different game if you ban them.
There are a few players that wear/wore a protective helmet already, Cech being the most prominent one. Anyone who is frightened of a head injury can wear it already. Plus it should help to soften the blow from "hard headers" reducing the concussion risk.
The problem is, nobody does because if only one guy on the field does it...everyone will talk about him.

Some club will have to make the first step, telling all players to wear a protective helmet during the games and then it will become more common.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#3 » by The_Brecht » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Just change to five subs a game and a mandatory sub when there's a head injury.
It will reduce the number of fake injuries during a game.

They should also stop the clock when the game is delayed for an injury.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HopeBaker
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by HopeBaker » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

dejaolsone
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by dejaolsone » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am