Transfer Thread 2021/22

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Re: Transfer Thread 2021/22 

Post#121 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Baphomet wrote:Adama on his way to Barca, apparently. Looks like a Mendes classic.

Spurs trying to sign Luis Diaz instead, a far superior player imo but will cost a lot more. I'm not optimistic of signing or selling anyone at this point, very difficult window for everyone.

Conte must be fuming.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#122 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:54 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Adama on his way to Barca, apparently. Looks like a Mendes classic.

Spurs trying to sign Luis Diaz instead, a far superior player imo but will cost a lot more. I'm not optimistic of signing or selling anyone at this point, very difficult window for everyone.

Conte must be fuming.

I doubt it. It's Barcelona and Liverpool, not Stoke. Players want to play for Barca even in the state they're in, especially a Spaniard like Adama, and Liverpool play in the CL and get the absolute maximum out of their wingers.

Kulusevskiy isn't a bad consolation prize if it comes to that. Spurs fans melting down either don't recognise our status as a club compared to European giants, or don't know how agents work. This is the reality of the market.

I would add that it's Fabio Paratici negotiating for Spurs, not Levy.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#123 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:39 pm

Baphomet wrote:I doubt it. It's Barcelona and Liverpool, not Stoke. Players want to play for Barca even in the state they're in, especially a Spaniard like Adama, and Liverpool play in the CL and get the absolute maximum out of their wingers.

Kulusevskiy isn't a bad consolation prize if it comes to that. Spurs fans melting down either don't recognise our status as a club compared to European giants, or don't know how agents work. This is the reality of the market.

I would add that it's Fabio Paratici negotiating for Spurs, not Levy.

Conte left Inter Milan over transfers.

It wasn't that long ago when Tottenham hijacked Liverpool deals for the likes of Dempsey and Willian, though the Spurs ended up losing him to Chelsea.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by Baphomet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:46 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Conte left Inter Milan over transfers.

It wasn't that long ago when Tottenham hijacked Liverpool deals for the likes of Dempsey and Willian, though the Spurs ended up losing him to Chelsea.

Inter were forced to sell their top players (Lukaku, Hakimi) because the club was in serious financial trouble. The situation isn't the same. That's not happening at Spurs, and it's not through lack of trying that we're missing these targets.

I'm not worried at all.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,685

Post#125 » by stormi » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Could make an entire 11 of quality players that rejected Spurs this window. Kulu will be good for them.

Diaz to Liverpool is unfair. Meanwhile we're still monitoring Dembele (who I like), but with this mishmash group of attackers. All can go besides Havertz, we need a fundamental reworking from the ground up.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#126 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:31 pm

So does this mean Liverpool won't re-sign Salah?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#127 » by Baseline81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:48 pm

wco81 wrote:So does this mean Liverpool won't re-sign Salah?

At Porto, Diaz played on the left. Salah starts on the right for Liverpool. Based on that, it could signal the future transfer of Mane -- shifting his salary to Salah.

The problem is Liverpool would be back in the same place as it was prior to bringing in Diaz, which is needing a better backup than the likes of Origi and Minamino.

As of now, it's a quality signing as I've felt Liverpool needed another quality attacker and midfielder. Thiago, Ox and Keita cannot be counted on -- far too injury prone for my liking.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#128 » by LDNMagic90 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:02 pm

So Patrici connections have worked for Spurs. They got Bentancur and Kulusevski, can’t say I’m disappointed that villa didn’t get Bentancur as I was a bit skeptical about his ability but we shall see!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Baphomet » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:46 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:So Patrici connections have worked for Spurs. They got Bentancur and Kulusevski, can’t say I’m disappointed that villa didn’t get Bentancur as I was a bit skeptical about his ability but we shall see!

I really like these signings and I think Bentancur would've been good at Villa too. I've watched a good deal of both players and while they weren't exactly lighting the world up at Juve, there's no denying that they're both young, have real quality and work hard.

Conte doesn't want any passengers at the club and these players fit the modus operandi. Very happy with our business.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#130 » by LDNMagic90 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:06 pm

Baphomet wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:So Patrici connections have worked for Spurs. They got Bentancur and Kulusevski, can’t say I’m disappointed that villa didn’t get Bentancur as I was a bit skeptical about his ability but we shall see!

I really like these signings and I think Bentancur would've been good at Villa too. I've watched a good deal of both players and while they weren't exactly lighting the world up at Juve, there's no denying that they're both young, have real quality and work hard.

Conte doesn't want any passengers at the club and these players fit the modus operandi. Very happy with our business.

I was not that sure if he would be that good for us, but statistically he looks like a quality DM. Juventus fans seem to be happy he’s gone but then they were happy that Cancelo was sold so who knows.

I think both signings will be good for Spurs, Levy had to act fast because Conte is known for wanting a budget for players.

As for Villa it looks like another transfer window without a DM, talks of Bissouma possibly on deadline day but who knows plus he’s not a proper DM either.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#131 » by SgtPepper » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:00 am

Years from now, young Barca fans are going to think Koeman was a genius based on the sheer stupidity of the transfers I/O at Barca over the last 12 months and the hard times on the football pitch they will suffer as a consequence of that.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#132 » by Baseline81 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:50 pm

Arsenal's January window likely leaves them outside of the top 4.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#133 » by The_Brecht » Tue Feb 1, 2022 10:28 am

Baseline81 wrote:Arsenal's January window likely leaves them outside of the top 4.

Although I would've liked some incoming transfers I was thinking the following.

The players who left didn't play often and when they played, their performances weren't any good.
The squad that is left, is the squad who got to the current position in the league. We only have 17 games left to play, so if we got a player in, it should've been the right player for the right deal. They went all in for Vlahovic, but he prefered Juventus. Shame, but that's football. They tried for Isak, but Sociedad ask the release clause, which is 90M euros, so far too much.

Last summer the transfer business got a lot of criticism, but a half year later we can all agree that the incoming transfers are all great deals. With the amount of 'dead wood' that has now left, the upcoming summer transfer window is the most important one in many many years.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#134 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 12:09 pm

The_Brecht wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Arsenal's January window likely leaves them outside of the top 4.

Although I would've liked some incoming transfers I was thinking the following.

The players who left didn't play often and when they played, their performances weren't any good.
The squad that is left, is the squad who got to the current position in the league. We only have 17 games left to play, so if we got a player in, it should've been the right player for the right deal. They went all in for Vlahovic, but he prefered Juventus. Shame, but that's football. They tried for Isak, but Sociedad ask the release clause, which is 90M euros, so far too much.

Last summer the transfer business got a lot of criticism, but a half year later we can all agree that the incoming transfers are all great deals. With the amount of 'dead wood' that has now left, the upcoming summer transfer window is the most important one in many many years.

Pretty much this, January is traditionally a horrible month to buy in. It's half way through the season so teams are going to charge you an arm and a leg for their players. You have to be somewhat opportunistic during the Jan transfer window otherwise it can bite you badly in the long run (FFP).

Arsenal sounded out players they were interested in and the clubs were going to make them pay a premium for certain players. Instead they shed some of their wage bill for the summer which is good, the squad they have now is still capable of a top 6 finish depending on how they do with this final stretch of games.

Summer transfer window will be very interesting in the Prem.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#135 » by HIF » Tue Feb 1, 2022 12:35 pm

4th is up for grabs
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter

Post#136 » by Baseline81 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 12:50 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Although I would've liked some incoming transfers I was thinking the following.

I don't understand Arsenal wasting the majority of its window on Vlahovic? There was little to no chance he was ever going there. As you stated, he openly preferred Juventus and waited for the Turin club.

By the way, I wouldn't call last summer's incomings great. Ramsdale has done very well. Tomiyasu has worked out. White is not the defender many Arsenal fans claim him to be. Is Lokonga better than Guendouzi? Tavares has been hit or miss. And Odegaard you had the previous season on loan.

When you speak about the summer, you seem to be forgetting the competition. Do you expect the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Manchester United, and Tottenham (under Conte) to stay idle?

But hey, you managed to remove Aubameyang's salary.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#137 » by The_Brecht » Tue Feb 1, 2022 1:19 pm

Baseline81 wrote:I don't understand Arsenal wasting the majority of its window on Vlahovic? There was little to no chance he was ever going there. As you stated, he openly preferred Juventus and waited for the Turin club.

By the way, I wouldn't call last summer's incomings great. Ramsdale has done very well. Tomiyasu has worked out. White is not the defender many Arsenal fans claim him to be. Is Lokonga better than Guendouzi? Tavares has been hit or miss. And Odegaard you had the previous season on loan.

When you speak about the summer, you seem to be forgetting the competition. Do you expect the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Manchester United, and Tottenham (under Conte) to stay idle?

But hey, you managed to remove Aubameyang's salary.

If there wasn't any chance to sign Vlahovic, they would've backed out quickly. Fiorentina got an offer in, Vlahovic said he wasn't going to renew his contract, which ran until june 2023, so Fiorentina made him for sale publicly. That's why it lasted long. Shame, but so be it.

I would argue all of the summer transfers were great deals:
*Ramsdale should be England nr. 1 by now.
*Tomiyasu is an awesome asset at right back. So glad we didn't go for that guy who went to Spuds.
*White is better than fans of other clubs think. England player for sure.
*Lokonga has great potential. I've seen him develop for years now. Better than Guendouzi? Maybe, but he's not making himself impossible at the club due to his actions.
*Tavares is a decent talent at left back. He's got a lot of learning to do, but at 8M it's a steal.
*Odegaard on a definitive transfer for about 40M is as great of a deal you can get for such a class playmaker.

Of course the competition will also be active, but we should only look at ourselves. Last summer, for the first time in many many years, I had the feeling there was a vision in the club. At this point in the season we're still in play for top 4, which was not really possible to anyone. If we could get it, we're winning at least one seasons of progress in my opinion.

That's why the upcoming summer transfer window is the most important one in many many years.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#138 » by Baseline81 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 6:15 pm

The_Brecht wrote:If there wasn't any chance to sign Vlahovic, they would've backed out quickly. Fiorentina got an offer in, Vlahovic said he wasn't going to renew his contract, which ran until june 2023, so Fiorentina made him for sale publicly. That's why it lasted long. Shame, but so be it.

Arsenal may have thought it had a chance, but Vlahovic never seriously considered (see tweets below). There were reports his agent wasn't even answering Arsenal's call. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't believe top players are convinced of the ambition, let alone the manager, of Arsenal.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#139 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 6:30 pm

That' why Serie A is so messed up. Juventus just gobbles up the best players from other clubs, including from other contenders for the league title.

Return to The General Soccer Board