Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Re: Copa America Final Brazil vs Argentina 7/10 8pm EST 

Post#41 » by Rust_Cohle » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:26 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:
djsunyc wrote:messi for argentina is not the same guy barcelona

Messi has been great this tournament. Easily the best player in it.

not in cup/final games. that's been his knock forever.

He’s been better in cup/final game’s than Ronaldo who is often considered right behind him.

He’s also had the greatest Copa tourney by any player in its 100+ year history with most goals and assists in a single tourney
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,781

Post#42 » by Calvin Klein » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:44 pm

:rockon:
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,258

Post#43 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Messi has been great this tournament. Easily the best player in it.

He’s been better in cup/final game’s than Ronaldo who is often considered right behind him.

He’s also had the greatest Copa tourney by any player in its 100+ year history with most goals and assists in a single tourney

TELL EM RUST! time is a flat circle it all comes right back to MESSI BEING THE GOAT!
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#44 » by HIF » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:00 am

Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

TELL EM RUST! time is a flat circle it all comes right back to MESSI BEING THE GOAT!

Neither of them would have even been noticed, especially Messi, 30 or 40 years ago.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#45 » by AK47MVP » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:17 pm

We need new thread to discuss upcoming World Cup. I feel like we will have so many evenly matched teams for first time. Just this stupid location and 30+35C heat will be messing things up.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Post#46 » by EArl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 pm

AK47MVP wrote:We need new thread to discuss upcoming World Cup. I feel like we will have so many evenly matched teams for first time. Just this stupid location and 30+35C heat will be messing things up.

Wont it be in the winter next year? Im assuming the temp will be a little Milder. My problem with Quatar is more about human right issues.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#47 » by Rust_Cohle » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

I spat out my drink, thanks for making my day haha
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#48 » by Rust_Cohle » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:11 pm

HIF wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Neither of them would have even been noticed, especially Messi, 30 or 40 years ago.

Ah yes at a time when pele could be injured and Brazil would still sleepwalk to another World Cup. Messi would have god smacked everyone 40 years ago, don’t be daft.
HIF
RealGM

Post#49 » by HIF » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:

Ah yes at a time when pele could be injured and Brazil would still sleepwalk to another World Cup. Messi would have god smacked everyone 40 years ago, don’t be daft.

He wouldn't have been able to move on the heavy pitches and he'd have been kicked to death by defenders. Were you alive then?

Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#50 » by Rust_Cohle » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:33 pm

HIF wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:

He wouldn't have been able to move on the heavy pitches and he'd have been kicked to death by defenders. Were you alive then?

Were you? Do you realize how moronic it is that pele could survive those times but Messi couldn’t? The athletes of today >>>>> the ones of peels era with far weaker players. Copa America had some god awful pitches Messi would be fine.

Imagine seriously thinking he would struggle during that period.
HIF
RealGM

Post#51 » by HIF » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Were you? Do you realize how moronic it is that pele could survive those times but Messi couldn’t? The athletes of today >>>>> the ones of peels era with far weaker players. Copa America had some god awful pitches Messi would be fine.

Yes I was. Obviously you weren't from what you say. It's like claiming that Michael Phelps would win in an Artic Ocean race because he is the greatest swimmer in a pool. Today's football is a completely different game to that of 40 years ago. Still no convincing some kids stay in your Messi is GOD world.

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,986

Post#52 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:48 pm

HIF wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

This is one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read on Real GM, and I’ve seen some sht.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#53 » by Rust_Cohle » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:56 am

HIF wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:

Yes I was. Obviously you weren't from what you say. It's like claiming that Michael Phelps would win in an Artic Ocean race because he is the greatest swimmer in a pool. Today's football is a completely different game to that of 40 years ago. Still no convincing some kids stay in your Messi is GOD world.

Another moronic take. Today’s athletes are better than they’ve EVER been in history.
Messi would comfortably dominate 60’s or 70’s football. I mean imagine actually thinking him or Ronaldo wouldn’t be able to cut it against FAR less talented players from 50 years ago :lol:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#54 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:08 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Another moronic take. Today’s athletes are better than they’ve EVER been in history.
Messi would comfortably dominate 60’s or 70’s football. I mean imagine actually thinking him or Ronaldo wouldn’t be able to cut it against FAR less talented players from 50 years ago :lol:

I was in a military family stationed in England in the late 80s, which is where I caught the soccer buzz. It was awesome, I loved it, but half the players in the old First Division were alcoholics who got sht faced throughout the season. High-level players like Paul Merson and Paul Gascgoine, awesome as they were, were borderline fat. The notion that a physical fitness freak like Ronaldo, or somebody who can dribble out of trouble in a phone booth like Messi, would struggle against that level of competition to the point of anonymity because the grass was longer and the game was more physical is so ludicrous it barely merits a response.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#55 » by Rust_Cohle » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:53 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:

I was in a military family stationed in England in the late 80s, which is where I caught the soccer buzz. It was awesome, I loved it, but half the players in the old First Division were alcoholics who got sht faced throughout the season. High-level players like Paul Merson and Paul Gascgoine, awesome as they were, were borderline fat. The notion that a physical fitness freak like Ronaldo, or somebody who can dribble out of trouble in a phone booth like Messi, would struggle against that level of competition to the point of anonymity because the grass was longer and the game was more physical is so ludicrous it barely merits a response.

Well said!
HIF
RealGM

Post#56 » by HIF » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:37 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
HIF wrote:

You're confusing talent with conditions.

Messi would have been kicked off the park - legally that's without even mentioning the muddy pitches where his style of game would have ben completely ineffective.

Still today's generation believe that their players are the greatest ever, Messi and Ronaldo are incredible players and the greatest of their generation but comparing with the past is a stupid thing to do. Even in american sports like Football comparing a QB now with one from half a century ago is ridiculous as the game is so much different (softer and easier just like in soccer). I'm not going to try to open your minds in this thread any further. Not sure why it isn't closed anyway. Keep your closed minds guys.

Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#57 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:52 pm

HIF wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

You're confusing talent with conditions.

Messi would have been kicked off the park - legally that's without even mentioning the muddy pitches where his style of game would have ben completely ineffective.

Still today's generation believe that their players are the greatest ever, Messi and Ronaldo are incredible players and the greatest of their generation but comparing with the past is a stupid thing to do. Even in american sports like Football comparing a QB now with one from half a century ago is ridiculous as the game is so much different (softer and easier just like in soccer). I'm not going to try to open your minds in this thread any further. Not sure why it isn't closed anyway. Keep your closed minds guys.

Ah, so arguably the two most skilled and talented players in the entire history of the game are gonna be "kicked off the park," but (going back to the English game as an example) vastly inferior players like Gazza, Merson, Ian Rush, Gary Lineker, Chris Waddle, Peter Beardsley, David Platt, John Barnes, Kenny Dalglish, Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson -- the list is endless -- somehow managed to find a way to thrive under these conditions.

And let's not forget exactly what you said. Not only wouldn't they be as good, these conditions were somehow so oppressive that neither of them would have even been noticed. While a bunch of pub crawlers with 1/2 the talent who didn't even know what physical fitness was would/were. Utterly ludicrous.

And that's not to denigrate those players; I saw most of them in action and they were all awesome in their own ways. (Lineker remains one of my favorite players ever.) But come on, you're being ridiculous. Putting players who have achieved and done the things that Messi & Ronaldo have on a pedestal isn't a generational thing. (Especially here; I'm pushing 50 so I've seen tons of players/generations come and go already).

It's an I-have-a-functioning-brain-and-I-understand-what-I'm-seeing thing.

Return to The General Soccer Board