Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: 2021-22 UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread 

Post#121 » by HIF » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 am

okboomer wrote:
HIF wrote:
okboomer wrote:Liverpool haven't lost a match by more than a goal since Madrid over a year ago. Have to think if they win by 2 goals today they are through.

It's Villareal. Any decent team should be beating them.

Guess that means Bayern and the the German league are crap. Cause they were outplayed by Villareal over those two legs.

Villareal were outplayed by Leicester at the end of the pre-season. They are simply an industrious team that have a very good coach. Bayern were outcoached! Liverpool are on another talent level (at least 2 levels) above Villareal. I'd say that Villareal would be lucky to compete with Real Villa over a season in the prem.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#122 » by SgtPepper » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:10 am

LOL preseason. Also so what? The league is usually about which deep team can thresh through teams with inferior talent; the CL is about competing and beating teams at par or better repeatedly.

As for the relevance of winning the domestic league to continental quality: perennial midtable sides like Arsenal and Tottenham have made it to CL finals as often as Man City who have been the domestic favorite over the last 8 years. Dreadful sides have won the EPL including the 2013 Man U team, the 2015 Chelsea side under Mou who struggled to draw against sides like Arsenal in the postseason after getting ko'ed from the CL and precursing the Leicester EPL win season. That last point isn't an EPL specific problem, and has been replicated in all the major Euro leagues. There have been dreadful Juve, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atleti, Bayern, Man U, Man City, Chelsea sides who have won the domestic due to squad depth, funding parity, and **** competitor form. No matter how bad the form of teams are in a league, at the end there will be a title winner. Dreadful teams rarely make it deep into the CL though.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#123 » by HIF » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:19 am

SgtPepper wrote:LOL preseason. Also so what? The league is usually about which deep team can thresh through teams with inferior talent; the CL is about competing and beating teams at par or better repeatedly.

As for the relevance of winning the domestic league to continental quality: perennial midtable sides like Arsenal and Tottenham have made it to CL finals as often as Man City who have been the domestic favorite over the last 8 years. Dreadful sides have won the EPL including the 2013 Man U team, the 2015 Chelsea side under Mou who struggled to draw against sides like Arsenal in the postseason after getting ko'ed from the CL and precursing the Leicester EPL win season. That last point isn't an EPL specific problem, and has been replicated in all the major Euro leagues. There have been dreadful Juve, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atleti, Bayern, Man U, Man City, Chelsea sides who have won the domestic due to squad depth, funding parity, and **** competitor form. No matter how bad the form of teams are in a league, at the end there will be a title winner. Dreadful teams rarely make it deep into the CL though.

Well that post is full of ****. the domestic league will always be a better judgement of a team's quality for the season than some rich boys European competition. As for your final comment :roll:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#124 » by Baseline81 » Tue May 3, 2022 9:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,624

Post#125 » by Baphomet » Wed May 4, 2022 8:58 pm

Just when you thought it couldn't get better than the Real vs. Chelsea CL tie... holy crap.

Another all-time CL great here. Unbelievable.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,717

Post#126 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 4, 2022 8:58 pm

What a comeback by Real, one of the best things I have seen in sports in a long time.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by Baphomet » Wed May 4, 2022 9:05 pm

Unreal
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by Baphomet » Wed May 4, 2022 9:37 pm

Manchester City

It's happened again
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,214

Post#129 » by lambchop » Wed May 4, 2022 9:50 pm

City completely fell apart there. Incredible comeback by Madrid.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 668

Post#130 » by Movics » Thu May 5, 2022 12:57 am

Como no te voy a querer, si fuiste campeón de Europa por novena vez, como no te voy a quereeeeeer
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Baseline81
Starter

Post#131 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 5, 2022 3:35 am

Baphomet wrote:Manchester City

It's happened again

Read on Twitter
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#132 » by SgtPepper » Thu May 5, 2022 3:51 am

^I love the financial trolling. No one will forget their marquee signing's peak CL contribution of tunnel banter against Atleti. #VivaGrealish

Madrid fans will be the last to feel for Pep. Honestly from our POV PSG, Chelsea, City, Liverpool are the same top tier of excellent teams this year but none of their managers are hated by the club aside from Pep. Seeing his side implode yet again from a favorite position was the cherry on top. By the time the comeback was on all the most clinical City players were subbed out. They could only throw in Gundogan, who probably deserved to start both legs.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Baphomet » Thu May 5, 2022 6:10 am

SgtPepper wrote:^I love the financial trolling. No one will forget their marquee signing's peak CL contribution of tunnel banter against Atleti. #VivaGrealish

Madrid fans will be the last to feel for Pep. Honestly from our POV PSG, Chelsea, City, Liverpool are the same top tier of excellent teams this year but none of their managers are hated by the club aside from Pep. Seeing his side implode yet again from a favorite position was the cherry on top. By the time the comeback was on all the most clinical City players were subbed out. They could only throw in Gundogan, who probably deserved to start both legs.

I won't lie, part of me wanted to see what mad lineup Pep would have prepared for the final, if it had been them against Liverpool. Kyle Walker up front? Gundogan at CB? He's the master of tactically out-thinking himself. You have to wonder if the nature of this defeat will hurt their Premier League title run-in. Probably not, but I'm sure Liverpool fans are hoping so.

Regardless of how some might feel about Real and their own past controversies, it's good to see two proper heritage football clubs in the CL final. In fact, Real completed the oil club sweep by knocking out all three of PSG, Chelsea and City. That alone gets them in good graces in the eyes of many football fans, let alone the heroic never-say-die qualities of the team itself.

Time to dust off my old Modric shirt for the final, I think.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Baphomet » Thu May 5, 2022 6:31 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Manchester City

It's happened again

Read on Twitter

This one's an all-timer, and probably one of the best CL matches ever. However, my personal favourite Man City CL elimination came at the hands of Spurs. Doesn't matter if you're backed by an entire nation, spending over a billion on your squad, subverting FFP and committing brazen accounting fraud, nobody can be saved from Fernando Llorente's mighty arm.

Of course it was cosmic that Sissoko's arm went on to cost us in the final. :lol:
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#135 » by Jaivl » Thu May 5, 2022 7:03 am

Movics wrote:Como no te voy a querer, si fuiste campeón de Europa por novena vez, como no te voy a quereeeeeer

Décimo cuarta 8-)
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#136 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 5, 2022 2:26 pm

Never gets old, especially Klopp's laugh.

Read on Twitter
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,264

Post#137 » by Shaazzam » Thu May 5, 2022 7:11 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

hate them, but thats pretty badass

****! !!!!
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#138 » by danfantastk32 » Thu May 5, 2022 10:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:He's the master of tactically out-thinking himself. You have to wonder if the nature of this defeat will hurt their Premier League title run-in. Probably not, but I'm sure Liverpool fans are hoping so.

This is certainly my hope. Sadly, I think they can sleepwalk through Newcastle, so I am pretty doubtful about it really happening. You gotta think City will be doubly focused on the prem as well now.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#139 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 6, 2022 3:13 am

Walker was immense yesterday and easily City's best overall defender. The game opened up a lot after he was subbed off injured. I was also surprised in both legs by the City centerbacks' lack of ballplaying skills.

My favorite Pep City elimination was when a Monaco side featuring Mbappe and a very pedestrian Falcao threw them out of the cup on away goals. My next favorite was the time an unfancied Lyon team kicked them out with clinical counterattacking. Timely homage piece: https://global.espn.com/football/blog-the-toe-poke/story/4658284/ranking-pep-guardiolas-worst-champions-league-exits-since-he-last-won-trophy-after-man-citys-shock-loss-to-real-madrid
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#140 » by Young Stapler » Sat May 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Madrid will lose. I hope

Return to The General Soccer Board