2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,612

Re: 2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#301 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:49 pm

wco81 wrote:History and tradition may be big but do people really believe that winning the league 50 years ago is the same as it is now?

NBA has the same debates, whether players from the '60s and '70s can play in the NBA today.

Team sports are now international so rosters are full of international players which wasn't the case long time ago. Athletes are better trained. Long time ago, athletes would have to take second jobs in the offseason rather than train year round.

In European football, titles won 50 years ago still hold a lot of weight and halcyon eras are often perceived as cultural landmarks for fans. Ask any long-time Liverpool fan about the club's proudest days, and they will almost always talk about Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and their European dominance in the late 70s. When you consider how much Liverpool have won since then, the importance of that can't be understated.

Bear in mind, professional basketball is still a relatively young game. You had the NBL and BAA mergers, the ABA, and finally the NBA and ABA merger. At the point this started to happen, the top tier of English football had already existed for 70+ years. When Tottenham won their league titles in the 60s, the club had already existed for 80 years. Even as the last people who remember certain eras or successes start to pass away, the impact of those times is still felt and is visible for everyone to see. I don't mean to imply that American sports aren't as important, obviously sports are a huge part of American culture, it's more that there's a greater sense of transience in US pro sports, whereas in European football the game bled into the public consciousness during formative periods in society.

Sunderland are currently languishing in the third tier of English football, and yet they still fill their stadium with nearly 50,000 fans in home games. That's what it means to be a big club. It's not really something that waxes and wanes so easily, it's culturally ingrained from our fathers and their fathers and their fathers.

So, to answer your question, winning the league 50 years ago isn't the same as it is now from a playing perspective, but it's of equal or even greater cultural importance so it doesn't really matter. Recency bias still exists but it isn't quite the same as it is with American sports.

I agree with your broader point about the quality of athletes and depth of teams, the game has certainly changed, especially in the past 30 years. But that doesn't mean that the players back before then weren't any good, or that their accolades don't matter as much. If Jimmy Greaves, Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona, George Best, Alfredo di Stefano, etc. had access to present day training and fitness regimes, played on better pitches, and weren't viciously attacked by defenders every game, there's little to suggest they wouldn't be as good or even better than their modern day equivalents in Messi and Ronaldo. I think about that often.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#302 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:42 pm

Never seen that before (MUN-ARS)
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#303 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:49 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Never seen that before (MUN-ARS)

One of the weirdest goals I've ever seen
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#304 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:00 pm

Baphomet wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Never seen that before (MUN-ARS)

One of the weirdest goals I've ever seen

If I am in Arsenal locker during the break, I honestly mention a possibility of giving a goal back at the start of the second half.

P.S.s Its 1-1 now, so maybe it changes things.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#305 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:22 pm

Good win for Spurs, needed to bounce back from last week's embarrassment
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,248

Post#306 » by Shaazzam » Sun Dec 5, 2021 4:33 pm

Lol @ Fred getting the winner. It's amazing what happens when you actually put the ball on net. Sometimes it goes in.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 5, 2021 9:20 pm

Even more unlikely, Spurs actually scored from a corner. Feels like it's been years.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#308 » by HIF » Mon Dec 6, 2021 1:09 pm

Baphomet wrote:Even more unlikely, Spurs actually scored from a corner. Feels like it's been years.

That's only because you haven't played us. At the moment anyone who doesn't score 2 in a match from corners against us is pathetic.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#309 » by The_Brecht » Mon Dec 6, 2021 4:02 pm

Baphomet wrote:Even more unlikely, Spurs actually scored from a corner. Feels like it's been years.

Conte is doing well.
As you would expect tbf.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by Baphomet » Mon Dec 6, 2021 8:21 pm

The_Brecht wrote:

Conte is doing well.
As you would expect tbf.

Even though Conte is obviously a great coach and has the team playing way more organised already, I'm not confident Spurs can keep this momentum going. Covid outbreak at the club with lots of fixtures coming up, and questionable squad depth. Will need a big January window but it's always hard to buy quality players in the winter unless their contracts are running down. Kane also needs to wake up.

Top four race could be interesting this year. West Ham continuing their good form under Moyes, Arsenal and Spurs look better than last season (not a high bar), United will most likely improve under Rangnick and still have tons of quality. Leicester are struggling but I can still see them improving when their injury list clears up.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by Baphomet » Mon Dec 6, 2021 8:28 pm

HIF wrote:

That's only because you haven't played us. At the moment anyone who doesn't score 2 in a match from corners against us is pathetic.

I watched your game against Villa. I'm not sure why Brendo persists with zonal marking and at the very least should try hybridising his defensive approach or scrapping it in favour of man marking. It's costing you too many goals.

There were moments of real attacking class in the first half but it was like the players' heads dropped the moment the Villa fans started making a noise and getting into it. Maybe confidence issues.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#312 » by Baphomet » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:59 pm

Wow, staggeringly bad by Arsenal there to lose that. How did Nketiah and Aubameyang miss?

Great goal by Gray though.
HIF
RealGM

Post#313 » by HIF » Tue Dec 7, 2021 2:53 pm

Baphomet wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:

Conte is doing well.
As you would expect tbf.

Even though Conte is obviously a great coach and has the team playing way more organised already, I'm not confident Spurs can keep this momentum going. Covid outbreak at the club with lots of fixtures coming up, and questionable squad depth. Will need a big January window but it's always hard to buy quality players in the winter unless their contracts are running down. Kane also needs to wake up.

Top four race could be interesting this year. West Ham continuing their good form under Moyes, Arsenal and Spurs look better than last season (not a high bar), United will most likely improve under Rangnick and still have tons of quality. Leicester are struggling but I can still see them improving when their injury list clears up.

Spurs must have one of the most expensive and deepest squads in the league. You're getting greedy Baph!

Top 4 does look good, maybe the top 3 is certain but West Ham who deserve to be in the top 4 don't have the depth and they'll start getting injuries with all the matches they still have to play. I think they'll fade to top 7, Spurs look good for 4th to me and tbh if conté doesn't get them 4th from where they are then his first season should be seen as a failure (unless they win the FA Cup). Arsenal have had a good run but they haven't beaten a decent team (unless we say Leicester who aren't a decent team at the moment) I think Arteta isn't the man for arsenal and the players think they're better than they really are. Having said that they don't have european games and so they have the time to prepare for each match, extra training time and less chance of fatigue and injury. Not good enough for top 4 but if they don't make Europa it's a fail for them too. United are about to have 10 easy games and so they should start Rangnick's reign with about 30 out of 33 points. That'll put them in the top 4 and should give them the confidence to get a few points from tougher teams later in the year. Spurs biggest challengers for 4th. Wolves, Leicester, Everton, Villa, Brighton, Palace are all a level below at the moment and probably fighting for 8th unless they can get themselves together and try for top 6.

I reckon:
Man C
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man U
Spurs
Arsenal
West Ham

But obviously hope the "big 6" do NOT get the top 6 places in the league.

HIF
RealGM

Post#314 » by HIF » Tue Dec 7, 2021 2:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:
HIF wrote:

I watched your game against Villa. I'm not sure why Brendo persists with zonal marking and at the very least should try hybridising his defensive approach or scrapping it in favour of man marking. It's costing you too many goals.

There were moments of real attacking class in the first half but it was like the players' heads dropped the moment the Villa fans started making a noise and getting into it. Maybe confidence issues.

None of us understand Brendan's need to continue with Zonal marking, if you read my match reports you'll know I've been banging on about it for ages. We don't have Morgan and Huth to control the airspace any more and this is exposing Kasper for the player he really is. Personally I believe we have to mix m2m and zone, giving players the responsibility to stop the opposition players, I'd also be "resting" Kasper for a few weeks and giving Danny Ward the chance to show what he can do in the box.

As you say on the attack we looked awesome in the first half but we now believe that every corner will end in a goal conceded and when it does our confidence is completely lost. It's a long season at the moment and Brendan needs to sort it out NOW!

HIF
RealGM

Post#315 » by HIF » Tue Dec 7, 2021 2:58 pm

Baphomet wrote:Wow, staggeringly bad by Arsenal there to lose that. How did Nketiah and Aubameyang miss?

Auba looks finished.

The_Brecht
Starter

Post#316 » by The_Brecht » Tue Dec 7, 2021 4:26 pm

Baphomet wrote:Wow, staggeringly bad by Arsenal there to lose that. How did Nketiah and Aubameyang miss?

I don't get how we gave away the game like that.

- Dust means thirsty.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#317 » by SgtPepper » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:10 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:No need for the Tottenham diatribe. I'm not a fan of either club.

There's nothing as certain as death, taxes, and Leicester fans being weirdly upset about Spurs.

Honestly I was just commenting on his post. He ridiculously claimed that Manu have less pulling power than Leicester and Tottenham. Even mentioning Leicester was so laughable I didn't thank any need to counteract it. Leicester have far less pulling power than Spurs, let alone ManU.

I don't think we're upset about spurs, we like to joke about them after Kane used the lions picture and told us they were coming for us only to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Nah, I was talking on a footballing and coaching level alone. Those clubs have on avg used their resources much more coherently than Utd over the last 7 years. The Athletic tactics podcast was pointing out last week that Utd's squad is the 3rd least compatible EPL club to his preferred style last week.

Also the commercial storylines mentioned are a bit incorrect. It's true stadium fans are price inelastic diehards in the EPL, but the annual revenue splits depend less on them than ever due to the growing % of broadcast revenue driven by global viewership. That's one of the reasons the EPL brands advocated for the ESL. Their cash flows depend more on private funding and the broadcast revenue than those stadium fans.
HIF
RealGM

Post#318 » by HIF » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:09 am

SgtPepper wrote:
HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
There's nothing as certain as death, taxes, and Leicester fans being weirdly upset about Spurs.

Honestly I was just commenting on his post. He ridiculously claimed that Manu have less pulling power than Leicester and Tottenham. Even mentioning Leicester was so laughable I didn't thank any need to counteract it. Leicester have far less pulling power than Spurs, let alone ManU.

I don't think we're upset about spurs, we like to joke about them after Kane used the lions picture and told us they were coming for us only to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Nah, I was talking on a footballing and coaching level alone. Those clubs have on avg used their resources much more coherently than Utd over the last 7 years. The Athletic tactics podcast was pointing out last week that Utd's squad is the 3rd least compatible EPL club to his preferred style last week.

Also the commercial storylines mentioned are a bit incorrect. It's true stadium fans are price inelastic diehards in the EPL, but the annual revenue splits depend less on them than ever due to the growing % of broadcast revenue driven by global viewership. That's one of the reasons the EPL brands advocated for the ESL. Their cash flows depend more on private funding and the broadcast revenue than those stadium fans.

Next you'll be telling me that Barcelona are now minnows. After all they're 7th in a much weaker league than Manu. They are not a CL club and they are massively in debt. Players would rather play for Crystal Palace.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#319 » by Baphomet » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:46 pm

United look horrendous. Being played off the park by Norwich.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#320 » by The_Brecht » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Good win by Arsenal.

Auba again out due to disciplinary issues.
Strip him of captaincy. He's finished at the club.

- Dust means thirsty.

Return to The General Soccer Board