Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#121 » by HIF » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 am

danfantastk32 wrote:I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise we drew MC for the FA cup semi.

One of us has the ability to seriously screw up the others season. If I had to choose, I'd obviously take winning our prem match-up. No matter what the ultimate conclusion ends up being....I'd take the prem win, and roll the dice the rest of the way. I'd take the prem over 10 FA cups. Prob has to do with becoming a LFC fan fairly early on in our long drought.

Anyhow....I think it's almost comical how this all ended up. Can't wait till we end up drawing each other in the CL. If things go the way I'd like them to....there's gonna be alot of MC fans really, really hating Liverpool in the upcoming months. But then, they are certainly no joke. Could very easily find the shoe on the other foot. That would be a bummer.

It just goes to show that you are two of the top few in Europe.To win anything you'd expect to need to beat ManC and Chelsea.
Best of luck.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#122 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 3:50 pm

The next 12 days will be huge. Set of wins, and we're leading the prem, we're onto semi-finals in CL, and we're in the FA Cup final. Pretty good work for 12 days. Of course, it can all go the other way.

Winning the treble and all that stuff is cool. It would put this team in a class that I think they deserve. Really all I care about is the Prem, but it would be nice to see this team get the recognition. Klopp's squad is one of the best I've ever seen....a little more hardware, and something "noteworthy" would go a long way in cementing their place among one of the better squads ever.

But......(always a but).....please get the win on Apr 10th.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#123 » by fbalmeida » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:00 pm

Jumping in here in time for the CL quarter finals.

As a Benfica fan, and with the team facing Liverpool, I'm in full "we've had a good run. Enjoy it while it lasts." mode.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#124 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:54 am

Well, no win today...which is a super bummer. But we did have to come back twice....and I suppose we aught to consider ourselves lucky to not have lost ground. But I think our title hopes prob just went bye-bye.

If you wanna get depressed.....go look at our final 7 games, vs their final 7. I don't think it matters what we do now. They aren't going to drop any points.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#125 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:29 pm

But we won in the FA Cup semi match. *sigh*

I suppose it's something.

Can't help but feel bad for the MC goalie. Boy, what a huge mistake. I bet he wishes we wouldn't have conceded that goal at the very end. Props to Mane for capitalizing like he did. Well done. Turns out to be the difference maker. Props to MC. God are they a squad to be reckoned with.

So it's looking like we'll be playing Chelsea in the Final. That's no gimmie either. What a run of games here at the end. I would like to see our defense get back to their form of a month or so ago. We've given up 8 goals in the last 4 games (Granted, against some serious quality) and I think we'd given up just 2 in the prior 10 games or so.

We have 9 games (10 if the FA cup final is in there) in the next 34-35 days. All will be essentially 'do or die' games for hardware. Have to admit I'm pretty excited. Good time to be a Liverpool fan. I just hope we walk away with SOMETHING. Holy hell, would it be awful to fall apart, and end this year with nothing but the Carboa cup, or whatever the hell it's called. But that's sports. Nobody gives you nothing. We're gonna have to find those fumes in the tank, and bring our A-game each and every time.

Salah.....you've been a little quiet. Let's see you go on a tear!
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#126 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:42 am

danfantastk32 wrote: Salah.....you've been a little quiet. Let's see you go on a tear!

Nice answer. Still got more to go.

Great win today. Sad to see Manure get dirty at the end. Not our fault you weren't up to our level. Wish the ref would tossed one or two of those guys. It was clear they weren't playing footy the last 10 minutes. I mean....what a total shame had one of our key guys gone out because they felt like pouting. Grow up, and own where you are.

Clean sheet from the boys back on D. Always my fave. Never gets the credit it deserves.

Well alright. We def did our job right today. Rest up, and let's move forward. I'm still crossing fingers we can somehow win this damn Prem. Anything else is gravy to me.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#127 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:47 am

Oh...almost forgot: Class act by the fans in the 7th.

We're a fierce rivalry....but loosing a child is just bananas. Can't imagine. I know a guy like Ronaldo seems like he has it all. Well he's human, and can hurt the ultimate hurt just like the rest of us. YNWA
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#128 » by fbalmeida » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:26 am

Read on Twitter
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#129 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Totally thought we were gonna drop points yesterday. That was a big win. Still not sure MC will drop any points, so it's prob moot. But we stay alive, and we will see.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Well....it looks like Salah and Liverpool still haven't come to an agreement over contract. And it looks like Barca want to swoop in, and sign him. Well.....If I'm Liverpool, I'd like to hear their offer.

Salah has been absolutely fantastic. Let me start by saying I don't want to push him out the door. BUT....(always a but) the guy is about to turn 30. I know 30 ain't what it used to be, but you wonder how many more seasons of "elite" football are left. So if Barca wanna come drop 80-90 mil......I think we aughta listen. Hell....look what they payed for Coutinho. 120...140?? Something crazy like that. We were able to totally transform our D, and thus team from that deal. That deal made us what we are now.

I think Salah has a couple years of top-top level footy left in the tank. So if we wanna keep him, I'm more than ok with that. But Klopp has proven himself to be a really really good "getter of talent" <------can't think of the phrase, so if Barca wanna throw stupid $$ down for him, I think it would be best to do that. Long term.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#131 » by Baseline81 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:42 pm

Only Italian Serie A and English Premier League still have races at the top. But yes, it's a pain knowing Liverpool's point total should likely win it. Unfortunately, Manchester City exists.
Read on Twitter
Baseline81
Starter

Post#132 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Read on Twitter
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#133 » by SgtPepper » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:10 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Only Italian Serie A and English Premier League still have races at the top. But yes, it's a pain knowing Liverpool's point total should likely win it. Unfortunately, Manchester City exists.
Read on Twitter

This methodology is a dodgy way to consider league competitiveness, but from 2009-13 winning la liga took 99-100 points. Every draw or loss was a title loss threat.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#134 » by HIF » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:39 am

SgtPepper wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Only Italian Serie A and English Premier League still have races at the top. But yes, it's a pain knowing Liverpool's point total should likely win it. Unfortunately, Manchester City exists.
Read on Twitter

This methodology is a dodgy way to consider league competitiveness, but from 2009-13 winning la liga took 99-100 points. Every draw or loss was a title loss threat.

It's a pointless way to think of things. Being league champions is about beating the others in your league, no other leagues are comparable.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 2, 2022 4:30 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes...absolutely fantastic news. I was a Klopp doubter, I admit. There were a couple seasons there where we had 9-10 draws, followed by 11-12 draws. I felt we weren't taking lower level teams serious, and Klopp's pressing style would empty our tanks in that Dec/Jan stint where there were so many games. I wanted him out. Feels so foolish to say it now. I was totally wrong. To my defense (no pun intended) issue I felt we had was pretty mid-level defense. With the Coutinho trade, and Allison/VVD coming in.....everything changed for Liverpool.

But whatever.....what happened happened. Klopp has got the guys running like an oiled machine. It's almost comical to watch them play anyone but the absolute cream of the sport right now....as we just totally dominate from the whistle. And I'm not even bragging. When they give up the ball, they get it back in 5 seconds. They remind me alot of Barca about 10-ish years ago with Xavi and Iniesta and Mascherano how they just totally controlled what was going on. Not comparing players....just the results.

We have yet to see how this season plays out. It may be one of the most disappointing 3-weeks in football for us. The footy gods give you nothing. But even still....FA cup final, CL final (assuming no stunning loss tmrw), and riding MC's arse to the final bell for the League. <------- even if we don't actually win a single thing...that's pretty impressive. I'd like to assume we're gonna walk away with at least ONE of those....but we'll see.

And his signings. Jota...Fabinho...Diaz....Thiago. Guys like VVD, Allison, Mane. He's really been on the mark with guys (except Karius...don't know what that was about). Even a few guys I don't/didn't really like (Origi, Keata, Winnailgum <--spelling , have had some great moments. Especially Origi. I'm def warming up to the guy. some HUGE goals.

Anyhow.....Super stoked Klopp signed extension. We need to replace Matip, and after that just keep injecting a young player or two each season. I think Hendo's gonna need to be replaced before too long. Love him.....but I don't think he will have it in 2 years.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#136 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 2, 2022 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter

I get what your saying. Yeah, you can't compare leagues, but I think we'd be winning just about any other league out there right now. And this is not the first. The year we lost under Stevie-G, we had the highest point total for a team not to win the league. We seem to get a little unlucky that way.

Sorta like the Houston Oilers football team in the 70's. Considered by many (a while back) to be the 2nd best football team of all time. Sadly for them....the Pittsburg Steelers (of the 70's) were considered the BEST football team of all time.

There won't be any gimmie's here....but this Saturday's game against Tott (playing well all of a sudden) is our last real "test". Yes, like I said, we can still lose/draw any of them....but this game is our last big game, and it's against a team in good form.

MC have the Hammers left, as their last good team. But the Hammers have prob lost the CL spot (I suppose they will be playing for the Europa league) and MC will have an entire week off before that game. We have really given a good account of ourselves this year, but MC are a juggernaut. I suppose there is no shame in falling to them.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#137 » by Baseline81 » Tue May 3, 2022 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#138 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 3, 2022 10:59 pm

6 more games.....6 more wins. Tough ask, but we've come this far.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#139 » by danfantastk32 » Tue May 3, 2022 11:02 pm

What are the odds that the PSG's, the Barca's come a'callin for Diaz this summer? What a great year he's having, no? Gonna be hard for him to say he wants to move on to "bigger and better things".....something players might have intimated a decade or two ago.

Klopp for prez....2024!
okboomer
Pro Prospect
And1: 752

Post#140 » by okboomer » Sat May 7, 2022 1:58 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:What are the odds that the PSG's, the Barca's come a'callin for Diaz this summer? What a great year he's having, no? Gonna be hard for him to say he wants to move on to "bigger and better things".....something players might have intimated a decade or two ago.

Klopp for prez....2024!

I think it is much more likely they go after Mane or Salah, especially with their contracts up the next season. If one them were to go, Diaz is an awesome replacement if either were to be go. I want all three starting in the final.

Return to The General Soccer Board