Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#101 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:59 am

Well well well.....so we got a gift from the $-bags today. We'll see if we can capitalize.

Still think we will slip here against Arsenal....only now it won't be so costly. And if we do win, things will def get interesting
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#102 » by HIF » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:30 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Well well well.....so we got a gift from the $-bags today. We'll see if we can capitalize.

Still think we will slip here against Arsenal....only now it won't be so costly. And if we do win, things will def get interesting

I think you'll stuff Arsenal - after all they had to play 2 games in 4 days. Still don't believe you'll beat Man city though. Money bags is a laugh considering how much you've spent over the recent past.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#103 » by Baseline81 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:29 pm

HIF wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:Well well well.....so we got a gift from the $-bags today. We'll see if we can capitalize.

I think you'll stuff Arsenal - after all they had to play 2 games in 4 days. Still don't believe you'll beat Man city though. Money bags is a laugh considering how much you've spent over the recent past.

Please explain the underline.

The Coutinho sale allowed Liverpool to purchase Alisson and Van Dijk. Liverpool is still very much a sell-to-buy club. If you look at net spend since COVID, Liverpool is one of the bottom teams in the Premier League.
Read on Twitter
HIF
RealGM

Post#104 » by HIF » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:

Please explain the underline.

The Coutinho sale allowed Liverpool to purchase Alisson and Van Dijk. Liverpool is still very much a sell-to-buy club. If you look at net spend since COVID, Liverpool is one of the bottom teams in the Premier League.
Read on Twitter

Liverpool have existed for a lot longer than Covid. Amazing that you would talk about big spending clubs and limit it to a couple of years. I'm sure you're aware that Liverpool's WEEKLY wages is many times higher than the majority of premier league clubs. They are called "BIG 6" because of their spending not because of their trophies. If they don't make CL EVERY year it would be a disgrace - thankfully they do that. However before they won the league recently they were definitely an underperforming Big spending club.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#105 » by Baseline81 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:58 pm

HIF wrote:Liverpool have existed for a lot longer than Covid. Amazing that you would talk about big spending clubs and limit it to a couple of years. I'm sure you're aware that Liverpool's WEEKLY wages is many times higher than the majority of premier league clubs. They are called "BIG 6" because of their spending not because of their trophies. If they don't make CL EVERY year it would be a disgrace - thankfully they do that. However before they won the league recently they were definitely an underperforming Big spending club.

The data in the tweet is for the last decade. I would say that covers your "recent past."

And yes, I am aware of Liverpool's wages.

The intent of my original post was to show Liverpool's spending compared to the two Manchester clubs. It's a stark difference.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#106 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:Liverpool have existed for a lot longer than Covid. Amazing that you would talk about big spending clubs and limit it to a couple of years. I'm sure you're aware that Liverpool's WEEKLY wages is many times higher than the majority of premier league clubs. They are called "BIG 6" because of their spending not because of their trophies. If they don't make CL EVERY year it would be a disgrace - thankfully they do that. However before they won the league recently they were definitely an underperforming Big spending club.

The data in the tweet is for the last decade. I would say that covers your "recent past."

The intent of my original post was to show Liverpool's spending compared to the two Manchester clubs. It's a stark difference.

Yeah, we brought in Diaz recently. Can't think of another semi-major signing in the last couple years. Jota...has worked out well, but was that a 'major signing'? Got lucky Barca were willing to spend out the wazoo for Coutinho. Gave us the ability to sign VVD.

And really, VVD would be our only true "major spend" I know of. Salah was shipped off from Chel$ea..and then somewhere else playing so-so. Mane was relatively unknown. Henderson was young, and unknown. I don't know about Fabinho and Firmino.

HIF....I do get your point that it's prob annoying to 90% of the league to hear Liverpool fan whining about spending. But if you look at the last 10-20 years, Liverpool have been a team that typically gets the "B" stars...not the "A" guys. And often get's their really special talent stripped away by the real big spenders. But I suppose your right that it's all relative. Things prob look mighty nice in Liverpool from a Burnley perspective, or a Wolves...or whatever.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#107 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Since we're on the topic, I wonder what Liverpool plan to do regarding Salah? We have him for 1 more year, as is. Would be great to see one of the big guys make a huge offer for him. I would do it, if I were Liverpool. He just (or is just about) passed the wrong side of 30, and I think his best days are prob behind him. Would be just about the perfect time to sell high, IMO.

Salah has been great. I mean GREAT. 30 isn't what it used to be....and there very well could be another 3-4 meaningful years left. So I will be happy as hell if we keep him too. But if I'm gambling, and we got a 60-70m offer for him....I think I take it. If someone offers north of 80, it's a no-brainer.
HIF
RealGM

Post#108 » by HIF » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:09 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

There's the flaw in your plan then. Not spending as much as Manchester City or Man U doesn't stop you being money bags. 99.9 % of football teams cannot even dream of the amount you have to spend. I suggest you stop looking for excuses. You are not Everton. :P

HIF
RealGM

Post#109 » by HIF » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:12 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Since we're on the topic, I wonder what Liverpool plan to do regarding Salah? We have him for 1 more year, as is. Would be great to see one of the big guys make a huge offer for him. I would do it, if I were Liverpool. He just (or is just about) passed the wrong side of 30, and I think his best days are prob behind him. Would be just about the perfect time to sell high, IMO.

Salah has been great. I mean GREAT. 30 isn't what it used to be....and there very well could be another 3-4 meaningful years left. So I will be happy as hell if we keep him too. But if I'm gambling, and we got a 60-70m offer for him....I think I take it. If someone offers north of 80, it's a no-brainer.

Can you replace him?

Jota has been great, I said he would be when you signed him, but if you lose Salah will you still be in contention to win the league. If you're not then you need to keep him, even if that means getting nothing for him in a few years time. However his wage greed literally makes me feel sick. I hate the money these guys are demanding and getting.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#110 » by The_Brecht » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:39 pm

I would ship Mané and give Salah a new contract.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 pm

HIF wrote:Can you replace him?

That's the $100mil question isn't it? (Prob more).

I guess I would ask....replace what he is now, or replace what I think he will be in couple years. Alot of what I ask hinges on the assumption that his best football is coming to an end. Mind you, I have no evidence of this.....just a hunch, with some history to back it up. But like I said....30 these days is not the 30 of even 20 years ago.

If we got an offer over $70m, would do it....with the decision getting easier and easier the higher it goes. $60m is really hard. That's prob my "fence" number. I would prob keep him for $60, but wouldn't have a fit if they sold.

I see this team starting to get old. We have too many guys at 30 now. It's not an immediate emergency, but each year we kick the can down the road, the harder it will be to "fix it all".

If we can move Salah, or Mane for a great price....we might be able to buy 2 young guys for the future (always risks...I understand). It's about finding that sweet spot where strikers are still lookin damn good, but you gotta wonder how much is left. If you hold onto Salah much longer, will you miss that window? Same with Mane. I think there is just enough meat on the bones left to look enticing to a Barca, or Madrid. But much longer....and we'll be lamenting that we missed. "Shoulda moved them back in......"
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:32 pm

Wow...got 3 huge points today. Not gonna lie....I really thought we were gonna lose or draw this one.

And kept a clean sheet to boot! I always love it when our D holds strong.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#113 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:10 am

HIF wrote:There's the flaw in your plan then. Not spending as much as Manchester City or Man U doesn't stop you being money bags. 99.9 % of football teams cannot even dream of the amount you have to spend. I suggest you stop looking for excuses. You are not Everton. :P

How far down in the PL do you have to go before a club isn't considered "money bags"? Or does one have to be in the Championship or lower?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,642

Post#114 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:10 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:Wow...got 3 huge points today. Not gonna lie....I really thought we were gonna lose or draw this one.

And kept a clean sheet to boot! I always love it when our D holds strong.

I'm glad your boys were able to return the favour against Arsenal after we spanked City. Now go and win the league.
HIF
RealGM

Post#115 » by HIF » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 am

Baseline81 wrote:
HIF wrote:There's the flaw in your plan then. Not spending as much as Manchester City or Man U doesn't stop you being money bags. 99.9 % of football teams cannot even dream of the amount you have to spend. I suggest you stop looking for excuses. You are not Everton. :P

How far down in the PL do you have to go before a club isn't considered "money bags"? Or does one have to be in the Championship or lower?

As I understand it now you have to have a team name that begins with "M" to be a money bags team.

KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#116 » by KG Leonard » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 am

HIF wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

There's the flaw in your plan then. Not spending as much as Manchester City or Man U doesn't stop you being money bags. 99.9 % of football teams cannot even dream of the amount you have to spend. I suggest you stop looking for excuses. You are not Everton. :P
The flaw of your argument is that Liverpool is competing against Man City for the the title every year while they have spent less than Aston Ville on transfers. The 99.9% of teams are not expected to beat City for PL or CL. Klopp is asked why doesn't he have squad depth,quality like City and is expected to win away at City for the title.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing team like Leicester, West Ham break into top 5 in the table. That's awesome but beating City for the title without the same depth of international superstars is a great feat. Grealish has higher wage than Salah, is luxury bench player. Let's not be naive compare the level of Everton types and the challenge competing with City. Unlike PSG,Man Utd they have great coach,unlimited budget. They don't need players from Wolves,Porto....
HIF
RealGM

Post#117 » by HIF » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:23 am

KG Leonard wrote:
HIF wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:The data in the tweet is for the last decade. I would say that covers your "recent past."

The flaw of your argument is that Liverpool is competing against Man City for the the title every year while they have spent less than Aston Ville on transfers. The 99.9% of teams are not expected to beat City for PL or CL. Klopp is asked why doesn't he have squad depth,quality like City and is expected to win away at City for the title.

Don't get me wrong I love seeing team like Leicester, West Ham break into top 5 in the table. That's awesome but beating City for the title without the same depth of international superstars is a great feat. Grealish has higher wage than Salah, is luxury bench player. Let's not be naive compare the level of Everton types and the challenge competing with City. Unlike PSG,Man Utd they have great coach,unlimited budget. They don't need players from Wolves,Porto....

Leicester, Villa and every other team are battling against Man city and each other for the title. I now understand your viewpoint. It is still risible that you claim not to be a money bags team.

The false argument of Grealish and Salah's wages is again ludicrous. Grealish has just been signed, If Liverpool want Mo Salah they will be paying much more in Salary than Man city have for Grealish and your lack of football understanding is clear if you think Grealish is just a luxury bench player, do you class Jota as that too?

Stop crying when you are one of the richest teams in the history of football just because there are one or 2 who are richer than you.

KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#118 » by KG Leonard » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:55 am

HIF wrote:
KG Leonard wrote:
HIF wrote:

Leicester, Villa and every other team are battling against Man city and each other for the title. I now understand your viewpoint. It is still risible that you claim not to be a money bags team.

The false argument of Grealish and Salah's wages is again ludicrous. Grealish has just been signed, If Liverpool want Mo Salah they will be paying much more in Salary than Man city have for Grealish and your lack of football understanding is clear if you think Grealish is just a luxury bench player, do you class Jota as that too?

Stop crying when you are one of the richest teams in the history of football just because there are one or 2 who are richer than you.

First of all I'm more of PL fan and not fan of LFC. My fav team is AS Roma even if Serie A isnt of the same quality to watch as PL.

My point was more how can LFC be "money bag" when they couldn't buy players last year because of losing income with covid? They are a big team with top 2 level budget but they aren't buying players with unlimited budget. Klopp wouldn't mind buying more than 1 quality player every two years in Jota,Diaz. Well Jota is a starter often who has second most goals in PL despite injuries. The richest in history of English football is very relative compared the unlimited money that has won PL 3 of the last 5 years.

Respect to all the lesser teams in PL working hard to compete minus Newcastle of course but the fact is that it is a great feat to compete for the title against City whatever you might think of LFC. They had money to waste the 25 years before Klopp,the current management, owners. I respect the way they have achieved success.
HIF
RealGM

Post#119 » by HIF » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:26 pm

KG Leonard wrote:
HIF wrote:
KG Leonard wrote:The flaw of your argument is that Liverpool is competing against Man City for the the title every year while they have spent less than Aston Ville on transfers. The 99.9% of teams are not expected to beat City for PL or CL. Klopp is asked why doesn't he have squad depth,quality like City and is expected to win away at City for the title.

First of all I'm more of PL fan and not fan of LFC. My fav team is AS Roma even if Serie A isnt of the same quality to watch as PL.

My point was more how can LFC be "money bag" when they couldn't buy players last year because of losing income with covid? They are a big team with top 2 level budget but they aren't buying players with unlimited budget. Klopp wouldn't mind buying more than 1 quality player every two years in Jota,Diaz. Well Jota is a starter often who has second most goals in PL despite injuries. The richest in history of English football is very relative compared the unlimited money that has won PL 3 of the last 5 years.

Respect to all the lesser teams in PL working hard to compete minus Newcastle of course but the fact is that it is a great feat to compete for the title against City whatever you might think of LFC. They had money to waste the 25 years before Klopp,the current management, owners. I respect the way they have achieved success.

okay

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:34 am

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise we drew MC for the FA cup semi.

One of us has the ability to seriously screw up the others season. If I had to choose, I'd obviously take winning our prem match-up. No matter what the ultimate conclusion ends up being....I'd take the prem win, and roll the dice the rest of the way. I'd take the prem over 10 FA cups. Prob has to do with becoming a LFC fan fairly early on in our long drought.

Anyhow....I think it's almost comical how this all ended up. Can't wait till we end up drawing each other in the CL. If things go the way I'd like them to....there's gonna be alot of MC fans really, really hating Liverpool in the upcoming months. But then, they are certainly no joke. Could very easily find the shoe on the other foot. That would be a bummer.

Return to The General Soccer Board