Official Liverpool FC Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Re: Official Liverpool FC Thread II 

Post#61 » by aggerrard » Wed Nov 3, 2021 4:25 pm

Big disappointment against Brighton. A midfield with Ox and Curtis is just not good enough. We lost all momentum when Keita went out with and injury. We can't continue with 4-5 injuries in the midfield. Thiago, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Elliott all out - and all are struggling with few injuries throughout a season. Thiago and Fabinho are back again and ready, but i have a feeling it's just a matter of time before one of them gets reinjured and Henderson also has his fair share of injuries. The best thing with Wijnaldum was durability. With him in the team instead of Ox i don't see us throwing the game vs Brighton.

But the situation is as it is. On paper we have a deep depth in the midfield, but Ox just can't keep up anymore after all the injuries. Specially with Henderson as the DM, we don't have any balance in the defense with Curtis and Ox. Back in action tonight against Atletico. YNWA
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#62 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Great win yesterday. 4-0 was prob as nice a score as it possibly could have been. Their goal made some really nice saves.

Really enjoy the play of Fabinho. I love his game. TAA had a really nice game. As did Jota. Feel like that was the best game I've seen of him. Cool to see the 19-year old kid get about 10 minutes of PL football. Also liked to see Minamino get a goal right after coming on the pitch. Had wondered if he'd moved on. Haven't seen enough of him to really make a judgment. Although it's gonna be hard to find a regular spot up front with the talent that's there.

Couple of real "derp" moments on defense. We need to get that addressed, if we wanna think titles. Luckily, nothing got through. We really punched a confident team in the mouth yesterday. That was a good win.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:39 am

We continue to tear it up. Nice win today. Sad we couldn't keep the clean sheet...but it is what it is
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:49 am

Will be up to Klopp to navigate the next month correctly here. Game today, and we have 9 more through Jan 2nd. That's insane, but it is what it is. After that.....3 games in about 38 days (prob some not-yet-scheduled CL games). I don't know who schedules this stuff, but it's pretty dumb.

Anyhow...somewhere in there, we lose Salah and Mane to the African cup. That might ruin our season alone. Either way....Klopp is gonna have to figure out resting guys, and figuring out who can spell our starters here and there. Will prob be no rest for our defense. This is where some depth would be great. I dunno.....I'm not sure when Mane and Salah leave...but if it's through most of dec, you can forget it.

Please don't play any starters on our dec-7th CL game, and our dec-22 caraboa cup game. Both are meaningless. Focus on the bigger prize.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#65 » by HIF » Thu Dec 2, 2021 11:11 am

Agreed you MUST NOT play any starters in the Caraboa cup game.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,615

Post#66 » by Baphomet » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:20 pm

I've been really impressed by Liverpool this season. The fire and hunger seem to be back.

One of the teams I always tune in to watch when Spurs aren't on.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:13 am

Baphomet wrote:I've been really impressed by Liverpool this season. The fire and hunger seem to be back.

Things seem to be clicking pretty good this season, no doubt. Much better than last season. We had some horrible injury luck last year....but even so. I think you're spot on with the 'fire and hunger'.
HIF
RealGM

Post#68 » by HIF » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:22 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:I've been really impressed by Liverpool this season. The fire and hunger seem to be back.

Things seem to be clicking pretty good this season, no doubt. Much better than last season. We had some horrible injury luck last year....but even so. I think you're spot on with the 'fire and hunger'.

A goal by Origi well into injury time. That sounds like the season you won the league.

danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:52 am

HIF wrote: A goal by Origi well into injury time. That sounds like the season you won the league.

Was thinking the exact same thing. You need a hand full of "pulled that out of your ass" games in a winning season.
HIF
RealGM

Post#70 » by HIF » Mon Dec 6, 2021 1:08 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:
HIF wrote: A goal by Origi well into injury time. That sounds like the season you won the league.

Was thinking the exact same thing. You need a hand full of "pulled that out of your ass" games in a winning season.

Every chance of a repeat.

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#71 » by aggerrard » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Seems like we're back on track again after drawing Brighton at home and losing to West Ham. Playing Villa and Gerrard tomorrow. Reckon it's going to be a hard game. But a must win to keep up with City.
HIF
RealGM

Post#72 » by HIF » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:06 am

Just to make it clear my rant about the League cup tie is not a criticism of Liverpool. they fought back excellently. Neither do I blame the players for the tackles (well maybe Jota for the elbow to the face) these things happen but Klopp was incensed by the reffing in the last match but has said nothing about far worse reffing tonight. He should. And Madely should be fired.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Post#73 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jan 2, 2022 6:50 pm

Now that City pretty much have the league wrapped up, I guess that leaves just the CL. Another top 3 finish in all likelihood. Shame we didn't make more moves in the Summer that might have closed the gap. It seems Covid truly was our downfall.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Now that City pretty much have the league wrapped up, I guess that leaves just the CL. Another top 3 finish in all likelihood. Shame we didn't make more moves in the Summer that might have closed the gap. It seems Covid truly was our downfall.

Funny, I was just coming here to concede the league as well. You beat me to it. Assuming we win our game in hand, we're still 8 points down. A loss, and two draws.....with us winning out....and they still win. I think it's a wrap as well. We still haven't loaned out Salah and Mane to the African cup dealio either.

Really is a shame we signed piss-all this offseason. And our already 'elder' team gets yet a year older for nothing.

Salah, Mane, Firmino, Henderson, Matip, VVD, and Allison will all be in their 30's next season. With Robertson being 28, and Fabinho being 29. Now, I will concede that 30 is not what is was...even just a couple decades ago. But alot of these guys have CL, and FA cup, and all sorts of international miles on their feet as well.

Bringing in zilch was criminal, imo.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#75 » by Baseline81 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Now that City pretty much have the league wrapped up, I guess that leaves just the CL. Another top 3 finish in all likelihood. Shame we didn't make more moves in the Summer that might have closed the gap. It seems Covid truly was our downfall.

The lack of transfer activity is frightening for a top club.
Read on Twitter
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:43 pm

Baseline81 wrote:The lack of transfer activity is frightening for a top club.
Read on Twitter

And what are we gonna do moving forward? Are we supposed to sign 4-or-5 players of quality per season for the next 3 or 4 years, when we seem to struggle signing more than 1? Or are we just gonna keep running older and older men out there?

Give it 3 years...4 tops, and this team will have to look drastically different if it wants to remain competitive. I think they have shot themselves in the foot here.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#77 » by Baseline81 » Sun Jan 2, 2022 9:02 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:And what are we gonna do moving forward? Are we supposed to sign 4-or-5 players of quality per season for the next 3 or 4 years, when we seem to struggle signing more than 1? Or are we just gonna keep running older and older men out there?

Give it 3 years...4 tops, and this team will have to look drastically different if it wants to remain competitive. I think they have shot themselves in the foot here.

Unfortunately, FSG has continued to play by FFP rules. With the suspension of FFP (due to COVID), other clubs spent. As you said, this puts Liverpool at a disadvantage.

To start, the club needs two fresh faces this summer -- a starting midfielder and backup winger. Players like Thiago, Ox and Keita are injured far too often to be relied upon. With Jota overtaking Firmino, there's no depth behind Mane and Salah, both will be 30 next season. I'm rather comfortable with the keeper and defense, though.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:32 pm

Baseline81 wrote:To start, the club needs two fresh faces this summer -- a starting midfielder and backup winger. Players like Thiago, Ox and Keita are injured far too often to be relied upon. With Jota overtaking Firmino, there's no depth behind Mane and Salah, both will be 30 next season. I'm rather comfortable with the keeper and defense, though.

So I was thinking about this....and I think our first step is to come to a decision on our manager. Klopp has hinted at leaving once his contract is up. The team needs to get a final decision.

Trying to sign quality players with the coach undecided will get harder and harder with time. Klopp has 2 seasons after this (maybe less?) and players don't want to join alot of questions. Personally, I see Klopp leaving, and most of the players either leaving with him, or staying because they are way past their prime now, and know they won't get better offers.

I'm not hanging this on Klopp....this is the nature of the beast. But Liverpool were fools not to sign anyone last offseason, and they better try like mofo's to get a couple quality additions this next go round.....cause you prob won't be getting anything of note after that. Not unless they can extend Klopp.....something I doubt
HIF
RealGM

Post#79 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:24 am

So Salah wants £400K a week to stay at Liverpool. That's over £100 Million for a 5 year contract. What do Liverpool fans think?

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,615

Post#80 » by Baphomet » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:23 pm

Not a Liverpool fan but I'd throw whatever money I've got at him. It's not like they're skint. Arguably the best player in the world this season and deserves the payday, and I think he still has 2-3 years left of high level play. Liverpool are simply not the same without him, and not just because they don't have a suitable like-for-like backup, but because his attributes are critical to how the team plays under Klopp.

My guess is that he stays, and for less money than the 400k that's being touted, but with a lot of scoring/assist/club success based incentives to make up the extra money he wants.

Return to The General Soccer Board