OT: EA considering not using FIFA name for video game franchise

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

OT: EA considering not using FIFA name for video game franchise 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:21 pm

EA's contract with FIFA ends after Qatar WC in 2022.

EA has explored changing the name of the game, even though the FIFA name for the game has huge brand identity worldwide.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/11/ea-and-fifas-30-year-video-game-union-at-risk-in-battle-over-name/

The article says EA is estimated to pay FIFA $150 million for naming rights. But probably gets as much as $1.5 billion in revenues from Ultimate Team in -game purchases.

I didn't realize some clubs like Juventus, Roma and Lazio have had their names (and kits?) removed from the game. However, EA still has licensing deals with UEFA and most of the top domestic leagues as well as Fifpro.

So even without the FIFA branding, the game would have all the top players and clubs.

But EA wants to do more with the club and player branding, such as sell NFTs. They also want to do something with famous former players such as Pele and Beckham, which would require more licensing.

They're also demanding more say in the direction of the sport itself. For instance, supposedly they were ticked that FIFA didn't consult the video game publisher about the possibility of biennial WCs, to bring more revenues to FIFA. OTOH, the EA licensing deal is the second biggest source of revenues for FIFA, apart from the WC.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Re: OT: EA considering not using FIFA name for video game franchise 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:37 pm

I just wish they made good manager mode, current product is so garbage, but I am addicted to it like a junkie. I like the idea of playing other games, but I have some mental block, and also as lonely person, am very addicted to background noise, so I find very hard time booting a game that requires full attention, so I just replaying same sports and strategy games that dont require sound that much, I hate myself for it, but I cant help myself. At least I am not Ultimate team zombie.
tobiaslibert
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by tobiaslibert » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 am

edit: spam
Roy T
Pro Prospect
And1: 841

Post#4 » by Roy T » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 am

EA is greedy and at some point legislators need to step in. My nephew spent more than 25k in the last three years on FUT. All the money he inherited from his late father gone for digital items.

Return to The General Soccer Board