FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage 

Post#2361 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:26 am

clyde21 wrote:like when someone talks to me about Iraq and says EYE-Raq...pretty good signal at that point to ignore everything they are saying about the country.

I only saw the clip I posted, and do not know if Tyler Adams had previously made some sort of political commentary about Iraq- did he?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,821

Post#2362 » by UcanUwill » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:40 am

Dirk wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
It's a pain in a butt that no ones into doing it. WIth direct thread, you always see page length, you always see how much discussion you missed, how much of it expanded, with this you dont see it and no one really wants to click 5 times to see it.

Eurobasket thread was generally great, some NBA reactionists arent into it, and you would be surprised how much quality we can get there.

But that's the thing, Eurobasket makes sense because we have a lot of international basketball fans on the general board. You only need to see the loathing the populace of that board whenever there's an OT thread made talking about Mbappe or Haaland, or relating a current NBA star to a football player, to know that there's very little appetite for this sport there, and most pages would be filled with whining about why it's not on the soccer board.

And besides which, the pace here is fine. 117 pages for the group stage is pretty good. The playoffs threads on the general board are so chaotic and over active that most of the best posts get page sniped anyway. I appreciate your concerns, but I don't think it's a problem. Dirk's redirect worked quite well.

The "OT" topics do generate some reports there. There are always 2 or 3 users reporting, but they're tolerated... and a WC thread would be fine there.

However, we must have some faith in humanity. It takes two clicks --- whoever likes soccer/football, can make two clicks, visit the Soccer section, discuss and maybe stay on post-world cup.

The board has different sections and this was a PERFECT chance to drive traffic to the section... and maybe some will stay on (I actually watch tons of games but have rarely posted in the past. Our time is limited of course... :x , but also it's difficult to build habits of browsing other sections/posting).

In any case, the topic has been fairly active and the discussion of good level. Less is more many times.

Ok, you guys are making sense. Its only my routine, that I have pages on speed dial, and I constantly clicking those. I often click on general board first page just to scroll and see whats up, and not conveniently having World cup thread kind of sucks for me, I imagine a lot of people are the same, and i wondered how many posters we lost, but yes, you are right that Soccer threads often get a lot of trolls, I disagree that general board has international basketball fans though, but at least its respected, in Eurobasket thread we never really had any trolls, not counting Mirotic12.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#2363 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:19 am

Read on Twitter
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#2364 » by Stannis » Sat Dec 3, 2022 7:48 am

Free Palestine
Evenacus
Junior
And1: 223

Post#2365 » by Evenacus » Sat Dec 3, 2022 8:20 am

Did he get booked for this, I don't think he did as far as I can remember. Definitely should have been booked for this. You can straight up see the referee not looking at him but directly at the Serbian bench players.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#2366 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:52 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
clyde21 wrote:like when someone talks to me about Iraq and says EYE-Raq...pretty good signal at that point to ignore everything they are saying about the country.

I only saw the clip I posted, and do not know if Tyler Adams had previously made some sort of political commentary about Iraq- did he?

Poor Tyler Adams was just in the wrong place in the wrong time. That said, the mispronunciation thing is a very valid frustration from English speaking Iranians, but Adams has been listening to it being pronounced (incorrectly) his whole life, and he amazingly handled being put in a tough situation.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Post#2367 » by EArl » Sat Dec 3, 2022 3:47 pm

Well. It’s over. Let’s see how we look in 4 years.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#2368 » by AK47MVP » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:06 pm

EArl wrote:Well. It’s over. Let’s see how we look in 4 years.

Don't think much will change. For some reason USA men soccer team is never as exciting or good as USA women.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#2369 » by HIF » Sun Dec 4, 2022 1:58 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
EArl wrote:Well. It’s over. Let’s see how we look in 4 years.

Don't think much will change. For some reason USA men soccer team is never as exciting or good as USA women.

I think now that Europe is taking women's football seriously the USA women may not be so successful either.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#2370 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Soccer Board