HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Transfer Thread 2022/23 

Post#661 » by HIF » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:44 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
wco81 wrote:
ZoLo wrote:Another contract till 2031. **** you FFP and UEFA. :lol:
American owners know exactly what they are doing. They rule this **** now.

Actually I've heard that they can't compete with oil money -- PSG, City and now Newcastle.

Americans make a convenient target and they can burn Glaser or Kronke in effigy.

But have supporters who object to all the American or oil money in football considered boycotting matches and not paying for TV packages to watch matches?

FSG is American too and is responsible for 1 of the 2 English clubs winning important titles. The other club was owned by a Russian.
The best EPL club owners for a long while have been foreign, just like the best football managers in that league.

Bollocks.

It's not being foreign that helps clubs to win titles it's having lots of money. FYI Manchester United and Liverpool were winning titles long before the Americans even knew what football was. I'd say that they were more successful before the Americans bought them than they have been since. As for the best managers being foreign, you may be right but they are certainly mostly European not American so don't start spouting. Eddie Howe and Graham Potter are both English and are clearly 2 of the best in the world at the moment. Jesse Marsch is not.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#662 » by fbalmeida » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:47 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:It's naturally an overpay because of the compounded circumstances:

A team being the 2nd buyer.
A team getting exactly what it wanted, when it wanted it, from a team that had it and wanted to keep having it.
Extremely wealthy owners and financiers.

Who is to say exactly what his correct value is?

But regarding what happens on the pitch, I have little doubt that Enzo will be one of the best top tier midfield traffic directors of his generation.

Valuation in sport is standard and performance-driven. That correct value question is treated as some nebulous unknown by most fans because they lack the basic quant skills to do it much less have the awareness of which public data sources to draw from. Also football is not art NFT's. Whether or not you have a quant or finance background, at the end everyone can tell when a flop is a flop.

You also missed my point and got weirdly defensive considering you have nothing to do with Benfica's success. Abramovic's Chelsea had one of the best if not the best scouting and sourcing systems in Europe, and would have bid for Enzo 6 months ago for 70M less if they were looking for mids. So my point is that Chelsea has regressed a lot in its business operations. There are often scenarios where such transfers are truly win-wins and mitigate risk for both Euro clubs, but that's for players who stay at the first Euro club till they assimilate in Europe or get secondary nationality not guys who are bought for flips within 1 year. My bias will always be towards resellers like Benfica, Dortmund, etc because those clubs tend to buy and use players more intelligently than these cashed up English clubs.

Ironically yesterday Tebas, the La liga president I generally think is horrible at commercialization and governance, addressed this issue correctly by pointing out that new EPL investors brought 3.5B into the league recently but that 3B of that has already gone to wasted spend.

Insofar as one can zero in with mathematical precision on a player's actual monetary value, I'd say that it would still follow a normal distribution, in which the extreme right of that distribution, where the value inflates significantly, are in scenarios exactly like the one Chelsea stepped in to: acquiring Enzo from Benfica mid-undefeated champions league run, right at the transfer window's deadline.

In practical terms, his value's inflation was, somewhat arbitrarily, set by the release clause value. His was the 5th highest transfer fee in history. It's really hard to describe anybody on the higher end of that list as being non-figuratively worth that money for their respective clubs.

Ultimately, these are insanely rich people spending money on entertainment. Having observed his talent on the pitch intensely this season, I think Chelsea fans will be thrilled with Enzo in the long run.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#663 » by SgtPepper » Sat Feb 4, 2023 5:41 pm

A statistical model using the player price lists like you suggested won't even allow you to derive inflation much less true value delivered or the potential to. That's because the European football transfer market is oligopolistic and club budgets vary on exponential scales, and prices are driven by the budgets of buyer and seller clubs. The distribution and such models are more importantly irrelevant to strategic questions like whether he'll repay the upfront costs by the time he retires or leaves Chelsea. He's a great player but he's very overpriced especially when you zoom into Chelsea's circumstances and currently dodgy record of getting the best out of players. Chelsea are no longer being run by a sugar daddy who doesn't care about profit, loves the brand, and will spend both to serve the long-term interests of the club and personal fascinations. Instead they're owned by more traditional growth investors who cares about returns captured in implicit stock price. For all we know the long contracts are signals for the time within which they'll try to resell the club.

Read on Twitter
HIF
RealGM

Post#664 » by HIF » Sat Feb 4, 2023 7:45 pm

In
Souttar: goal
Tete: goal
Kristiansen; motm

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#665 » by Baphomet » Tue Feb 7, 2023 7:50 pm

Zaniolo to Galatasaray done for 20m euros.

He was looking like a quality talent at one point, but two ACL tears severely affected his development, and it looks like he had fallen out with Mourinho and the Roma hierarchy.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,625

Post#666 » by Baphomet » Wed May 3, 2023 5:35 pm

Looks like Bellingham to Real is close to done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65473901
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#667 » by The_Brecht » Tue May 9, 2023 9:36 am

Baphomet wrote:Looks like Bellingham to Real is close to done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65473901

Tchouameni, Camavinga and now Bellingham.
Insane business by Real Madrid.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
HIF
RealGM

Post#668 » by HIF » Tue May 9, 2023 2:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Look at these ridiculous contracts given out over the last few years.
Now consider this:

Vardy retires
Youri leaves on a free
Ricky (injured) stays
Maddison to Newcastle for 50-60m
Evans retires
Barnes leaves for 40-50m
JJ (injured) stays
Nacho stays
Soumaré is murdered by a French LCFC supporter
Perez leaves on a free
Daka stays
Bertrand leaves on a free
Praet leaves 10m
Ndidi stays
KDH stays
Vestergaard leaves
Castagne leaves 10m
Albrighton stays
Amartey leaves on a free
Faes stays
Mendy leaves on a free

they have missed out Soyuncu who is also leaving on a free.

It'll be a very different Leicester next year but at least the wage bill can be cleared.

MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#669 » by MetalFingaz » Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 am

HIF wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now consider this:

Vardy retires
Youri leaves on a free
Ricky (injured) stays
Evans retires
Barnes leaves for 40-50m
JJ (injured) stays
Nacho stays
Perez leaves on a free
Daka stays
Praet leaves 10m
Ndidi stays
KDH stays
Vestergaard leaves
Castagne leaves 10m
Albrighton stays
Amartey leaves on a free
Faes stays
Mendy leaves on a free

It'll be a very different Leicester next year but at least the wage bill can be cleared.

No chance Ndidi or Justin get sold?
It's time for 5 refs.
HIF
RealGM

Post#670 » by HIF » Wed May 10, 2023 7:35 am

MetalFingaz wrote:
HIF wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now consider this:

Vardy retires
Youri leaves on a free
Ricky (injured) stays
Evans retires
Barnes leaves for 40-50m
JJ (injured) stays
Nacho stays
Perez leaves on a free
Daka stays
Praet leaves 10m
Ndidi stays
KDH stays
Vestergaard leaves
Castagne leaves 10m
Albrighton stays
Amartey leaves on a free
Faes stays
Mendy leaves on a free

No chance Ndidi or Justin get sold?

There's a chance, sure but N'Didi has been ruined by Rodgers and is playing his worst football for years. JJ hasn't played all season because of injury and this follows on from missing a season through injury. The skill is there but is he reliable? Who is going to match that salary to find out?

Return to The General Soccer Board