Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,645

Re: Transfer Thread 2022/23 

Post#641 » by Baphomet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Pedro Porro signing for Spurs, but we loaned out Spence and Doherty. Bizarrely, Atletico Madrid wanted Doherty.

Not sure what Simeone is thinking with that one.

Atleti doesn't have any natural fullbacks since Trips was sold. Everyone there is a converted cm, winger, or cb. And they are apparently losing the winger (Carrasco) to Barca, which is a big loss because he's their fastest player.

I wouldn't consider Doherty a fullback either, he's a wing back. Granted, they're closer positionally than CM or winger, but Doherty has basically no defensive attributes.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,645

Post#642 » by Baphomet » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 pm

Enzo Fernandez to Chelsea is done, by the looks of things.

Chelsea have assembled some good talents, but I'm not really sure what their plan is otherwise. It feels like they're just poaching top talents and hoping it will all stick. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've seen Enzo, Mudryk, Nkunku etc. play together, but the whole process feels scattershot.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,368

Post#643 » by MaliBrah » Wed Feb 1, 2023 1:02 am

Baphomet wrote:Enzo Fernandez to Chelsea is done, by the looks of things.

Chelsea have assembled some good talents, but I'm not really sure what their plan is otherwise. It feels like they're just poaching top talents and hoping it will all stick. Maybe I'll feel differently when I've seen Enzo, Mudryk, Nkunku etc. play together, but the whole process feels scattershot.

Signing them all to longer contracts and probably slightly higher wages then they deserve right now will be interesting too I wonder what those players sell value will be if they turn out not so good.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,108

Post#644 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Feb 1, 2023 1:24 am

Chelsea has now spent more than 600 million pounds since Boehly took over last May. Just staggering.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#645 » by fbalmeida » Wed Feb 1, 2023 10:22 am

Insane money Chelsea is spending, but Enzo is worth every penny.

121 M euros.

Read on Twitter
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#646 » by fbalmeida » Wed Feb 1, 2023 11:48 am

A breakdown of the transfer fee for Enzo.

Chelsea will be paying 121 M euros in several installments, 1 M more than Enzo's release clause fee.

• Typical intermediary costs are at 10% but they were discounted to about 6.2% (roughly 7.6 M).
  • River Plate stands to receive 25% via sell-on fee, plus the solidarity mechanism fee, adding up to about 32 M in total.
  • This leaves about 80M euros for Benfica's coffers. Enzo initially cost Benfica 14 M six months ago.

That may allow Benfica to consolidate Gonçalo Guedes' permanent transfer and bring in a replacement for the left back Grimaldo who is likely leaving as a free agent at the end of the season, or a replacement for Enzo himself.

They'll be fine, but it sure is frustrating to see a domestic league-leading and undefeated CL team like Benfica, lose in such dispassionate and business-like fashion, a unique generational midfield talent to a mid-table team that may likely be missing UEFA competitions next year.

Enzo may likely struggle initially to adapt to the EPL, considering he arrived straight from the Argentinian league and hasn't had any time off since like November 2021. But I have little doubt he's going to be considered one of the best midfielders on the planet within this decade.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,472

Post#647 » by Foye » Wed Feb 1, 2023 12:08 pm

fbalmeida wrote:A breakdown of the transfer fee for Enzo.

Chelsea will be paying 121 M euros in several installments, 1 M more than Enzo's release clause fee.

• Typical intermediary costs are at 10% but they were discounted to about 6.2% (roughly 7.6 M).
  • River Plate stands to receive 25% via sell-on fee, plus the solidarity mechanism fee, adding up to about 32 M in total.
  • This leaves about 80M euros for Benfica's coffers. Enzo initially cost Benfica 14 M six months ago.

That may allow Benfica to consolidate Gonçalo Guedes' permanent transfer and bring in a replacement for the left back Grimaldo who is likely leaving as a free agent at the end of the season, or a replacement for Enzo himself.

They'll be fine, but it sure is frustrating to see a domestic league-leading and undefeated CL team like Benfica, lose in such dispassionate and business-like fashion, a unique generational midfield talent to a mid-table team that may likely be missing UEFA competitions next year.

Enzo may likely struggle initially to adapt to the EPL, considering he arrived straight from the Argentinian league and hasn't had any time off since like November 2021. But I have little doubt he's going to be considered one of the best midfielders on the planet within this decade.

Benfica management sure knows how to print money...
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#648 » by fbalmeida » Wed Feb 1, 2023 12:38 pm

Among active players, the amount of talent Benfica has developed/scouted and sold to clubs in the big 5 leagues is pretty amazing.

GK: Ederson, Oblak

RB: Ruben Semedo
CB: Rúben Dias
CB: Lindelof
LB: Cancelo

MF: Renato Sanches
MF: Bernardo Silva
MF: Enzo Fernández

FW: Darwin Nunez
FW: João Félix
FW: Gonçalo Guedes (now returned on loan)

This would be a pretty impressive team.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#649 » by The_Brecht » Wed Feb 1, 2023 12:41 pm

Financial Fair Play is a joke.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#650 » by fbalmeida » Wed Feb 1, 2023 12:47 pm

Next up (hopefully not everyone all at once nor anytime soon):

Gonçalo Ramos of world cup hattrick fame.
Samuel Soares, a beast of a GK who did this for the B-team:

Florentino Luís, Enzo's partner in defensive midfield crime.
António Silva, a smarter Rúben Dias.
Morato, a 6-4 21 year old Brazilian CB with a good touch.
Henrique Araújo, an exciting young attacker

and... João Neves, who at 18, has been billed as a sort of cross between Enzo and prime Rui Costa.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#651 » by SgtPepper » Wed Feb 1, 2023 3:46 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Insane money Chelsea is spending, but Enzo is worth every penny.

121 M euros.

Read on Twitter

This is a similar case to Cristian Romero and that other resold Udinese player of legal financial doping which primes these non-European players for a massive resale by gateway clubs. It's an excellent outcome for Benfica's scouting dept but it's no shocker that some desperate English club ended up being the sucker on the other end. Benfica got 80m pre-tax profit on a player they bought 6 months ago, and transfermarkt has set his post-Chelsea market value at 55m when they usually value to purchase price so even they think this is a bad overpay.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#652 » by fbalmeida » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:33 pm

It's naturally an overpay because of the compounded circumstances:

A team being the 2nd buyer.
A team getting exactly what it wanted, when it wanted it, from a team that had it and wanted to keep having it.
Extremely wealthy owners and financiers.

Who is to say exactly what his correct value is?

But regarding what happens on the pitch, I have little doubt that Enzo will be one of the best top tier midfield traffic directors of his generation.
ZoLo
Senior
And1: 305

Post#653 » by ZoLo » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:54 pm

Another contract till 2031. **** you FFP and UEFA. :lol:
American owners know exactly what they are doing. They rule this **** now.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Post#654 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:28 pm

ZoLo wrote:Another contract till 2031. **** you FFP and UEFA. :lol:

Actually I've heard that they can't compete with oil money -- PSG, City and now Newcastle.

Americans make a convenient target and they can burn Glaser or Kronke in effigy.

But have supporters who object to all the American or oil money in football considered boycotting matches and not paying for TV packages to watch matches?
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,235

Post#655 » by Mamba81p » Thu Feb 2, 2023 1:59 pm

UEFA are welcome to change this rule, and I think they will eventually.
I think there are a lot of downsides to giving contracts this long.

What they are not able to stop though, is the fraud PSG and City are doing with all their "sponsors".
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#656 » by SgtPepper » Thu Feb 2, 2023 5:11 pm

fbalmeida wrote:It's naturally an overpay because of the compounded circumstances:

A team being the 2nd buyer.
A team getting exactly what it wanted, when it wanted it, from a team that had it and wanted to keep having it.
Extremely wealthy owners and financiers.

Who is to say exactly what his correct value is?

But regarding what happens on the pitch, I have little doubt that Enzo will be one of the best top tier midfield traffic directors of his generation.

Valuation in sport is standard and performance-driven. That correct value question is treated as some nebulous unknown by most fans because they lack the basic quant skills to do it much less have the awareness of which public data sources to draw from. Also football is not art NFT's. Whether or not you have a quant or finance background, at the end everyone can tell when a flop is a flop.

You also missed my point and got weirdly defensive considering you have nothing to do with Benfica's success. Abramovic's Chelsea had one of the best if not the best scouting and sourcing systems in Europe, and would have bid for Enzo 6 months ago for 70M less if they were looking for mids. So my point is that Chelsea has regressed a lot in its business operations. There are often scenarios where such transfers are truly win-wins and mitigate risk for both Euro clubs, but that's for players who stay at the first Euro club till they assimilate in Europe or get secondary nationality not guys who are bought for flips within 1 year. My bias will always be towards resellers like Benfica, Dortmund, etc because those clubs tend to buy and use players more intelligently than these cashed up English clubs.

Ironically yesterday Tebas, the La liga president I generally think is horrible at commercialization and governance, addressed this issue correctly by pointing out that new EPL investors brought 3.5B into the league recently but that 3B of that has already gone to wasted spend.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#657 » by SgtPepper » Thu Feb 2, 2023 5:14 pm

wco81 wrote:

Actually I've heard that they can't compete with oil money -- PSG, City and now Newcastle.

Americans make a convenient target and they can burn Glaser or Kronke in effigy.

But have supporters who object to all the American or oil money in football considered boycotting matches and not paying for TV packages to watch matches?

FSG is American too and is responsible for 1 of the 2 English clubs winning important titles. The other club was owned by a Russian.
The best EPL club owners for a long while have been foreign, just like the best football managers in that league.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Post#658 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 6:01 pm

SgtPepper wrote:
wco81 wrote:

FSG is American too and is responsible for 1 of the 2 English clubs winning important titles. The other club was owned by a Russian.
The best EPL club owners for a long while have been foreign, just like the best football managers in that league.

There's a documentary about the whole Super League gambit and they profile the different types of owners.

American owners have money made outside of football but they bought the PL clubs because they expected it to be a source of revenues, with the huge global TV audience.

The Arabs who bought clubs in Europe don't care about turning a profit with their football clubs. They have money to burn so they will keep doing record levels of spending.

American owners have tapped out from doing that.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#659 » by LDNMagic90 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 6:09 pm

Tbh FFP is really flawed and smart owners take advantage of the loopholes. Since it’s mainly based off amortisation, teams can just front load transfer fees for the first year of it showing on their yearly accounts. Where teams get caught is if the don’t try to do that. Either way it mainly benefits the rich clubs, I’m sure they’ll change the rules soon. Then again this is Uefa we’re talking about.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#660 » by HIF » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:40 pm

Mamba81p wrote:

UEFA are welcome to change this rule, and I think they will eventually.
I think there are a lot of downsides to giving contracts this long.

What they are not able to stop though, is the fraud PSG and City are doing with all their "sponsors".

I believe they've already changed the rule it just hasn't yet come into effect.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:

Return to The General Soccer Board